Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 9th October 2009, 15:31     #161
Cynos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepsi
That movie pissed me off. The ending was a real cop-out..kind of like an "aaah, it was all just a dream" kind of thing
It was, but the CGI was awesome. I especially liked how they did the first one. The second one looked a little too obviously CGIed. The ending was fairly obvious if you're familiar with the "Chariot of fire that took Elijah to heaven was a UFO" theory.

Last edited by Cynos : 9th October 2009 at 15:33.
Old 9th October 2009, 20:35     #162
nostrom0

Quote:
That movie pissed me off. The ending was a real cop-out..kind of like an "aaah, it was all just a dream" kind of thing
I second that, Knowing started of interesting and slowly turned into a big pile of crap.
Old 15th October 2009, 10:57     #163
Blue Lightning

Some of my recent favourites - some new, some old, some obscure, some less so.

American Splendor
The Year of Living Dangerously
Man on the Moon
Downfall (Der Untergang)
A Bronx Tale
Boiler Room
Charlie Wilson's War
Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang
Running Scared
Frost/Nixon
True Romance
The Quiet American
Old 15th October 2009, 12:39     #164
lektronimo

Babel was awesome. So was Syriana and Body of Lies.
Old 17th October 2009, 21:25     #165
Pepsi
Konnichiwa, bitches

Just watched Eden Lake based on recommendations here. Thanks
Old 17th October 2009, 21:37     #166
doppelgänger of someone

Drag me to hell is a new B-horror movie.
Old 18th October 2009, 14:53     #167
Pepsi
Konnichiwa, bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelgänger of someone
Drag me to hell is a new B-horror movie.
Yeah I watched that last weekend.. The info I read about it didn't say it was a horror/comedy, but I certainly lol'd a number of times..
Old 18th October 2009, 15:49     #168
Spink

Ponyo, coming out soon looks awesome. Well the list of voice actors does:

Matt Damon
Liam Neeson
Tina Fey
Cate Blanchett
Noah Cyrus (Miley's Younger Sister)
Old 18th October 2009, 15:51     #169
cryocore

Quote:
Yeah I watched that last weekend.. The info I read about it didn't say it was a horror/comedy, but I certainly lol'd a number of times..
Ummmm... a horror film by Sam (Evil Dead) Raimi and you didnt know it was horror/comedy?!?! *shakes head in disbelief*

If you liked Eden Lake check out Shuttle. Similar feel, not as good, but a good tense thriller.
Old 18th October 2009, 16:33     #170
IceFox

Watched surrogates the other day, sucked donkey balls.
Old 18th October 2009, 22:12     #171
JP

Fuck, I feel like kicking something (as you can see by my reply to the Sharples thread).

I just watched Diary of the dead. I want to fucking spew as well.

What. The. Fuck.

I could understand if this was some nub director doing it for the money with a shitty script written by a college kid and no money for decent actors. But this is George A. Romero, and it's not even like you can say he lost it, because the Dawn of the Dead remake FUCKING ROCKED, as far as i'm concerned anyhow. Land of the dead was pretty average, but I love zombies so I can deal. It kind of gave a sad preview of the psuedo-philosophy and piss poor acting of Diary of the Dead, but nothing really would have prepared me.

The mockumentary extra for Dawn of the Dead was fucking sweet, and added tons to the movie in terms of context and info. If you haven't seen it and enjoy the remake, hire out the dvd and watch it, it's great.

Why he decided a mockumentary would be a good idea for a full film I have no idea. I mean it seems like a good idea I guess, but surely he must have realised he wasn't up to doing it early in the script. It's just so bad.

I was basically annoyed the entire movie because the guy with the camera was so fucked. Not-really-but-sortof-spoiler: In one scene his friend is getting chased by a zombie and falling over and shit, and he is JUST FUCKING FILMING IT AND TALKING TO HER AND WALKING BEHIND THEM. His friend could fucking die, and he's like, yeah lets film this shit, even though he's already filmed heaps of fucking zombies.

Another spoiler, cause fuck it, I Want to spoil this movie for you so you don't ever see it. A zombie gets lose in a house they're in, two people know this while the rest of the people in the house are unaware there could be zombies around. Do they run around yelling for everyone to be careful? No, they don't even bother to slowly walk inside and let everyone know, they just dissapear until afterwards (probably banging since one dudes all over the camera guys girlfriend the whole movie, which he doesn't notice?). Then the above scene I described happens with the zombie, and the chick hits it with a shovel or some shit. And they just leave it, they don't fucking kill it. And it gets up and eats their fucking friend WHO STILL HASNT BEEN FUCKING WARNED after all that.

Ugh i'll stop there, just so fucking terrible I Can't believe it. I wouldn't have minded so much if it was from a random, but I was really looking forward to another Romero zombie flick. He needs to stop with the pseudo-philosophy though, he may have been right on when he first started, but now he sounds like a wanky falsely self rightous college student or something who is scared of the internet. Lame.

Recommendation: Any other Romero zombie flick, but please god, not this one.
Old 18th October 2009, 23:17     #172
cryocore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP
rant tanty rant
First up Romero had nothing to do with the remake. Zack (300/The Watchmen)Snyder directed a script written by James (Slither/Tromeo & Juliet/Scooby Doo Gunn). Apart from the running zombies I loved it too.

I liked Diary very much despite its flaws. The acting like in all of Romeros films (except the studio backed Land) was average, but the execution was excellent. Good pacing, well shot (if you like/appreciate POV cinema), and plays well within its own internal logic. The gore is good (Day had the best), the fx are very good for an indy film, and most of all its signature Romero throughout, in tone, pace, and philosophy. Sure he's becoming far more obvious in his old age, but symbolism/metaphores seem to go over the heads of a lot of people these days so I cant blame him too much for that.

I am a horror nerd and own well over 100 Zombie films. From the great Dead series (Night/Dawn/Day), [REC], Dance of the Dead, Braindead, Dellamorte Dellamore, Night of the Creeps, Dead Snow, Return of the Living Dead to the grate Children of the Living Dead, Redneck Zombies, Return of the Living Dead 4 and 5, and the truly awful Flesheater, Day of the Dead 2: Contagium and House of the Dead. The Day of the Dead remake also site close ot the bottom... shame really as the Dawn remake was a lot of fun.

Diary occupies neither the top or bottom end of the spectrum, but sits quite nicely along many other enjoyable if not spectacular Zombie flicks like The Bunker, Dawn remake, Versus, Undead, Mulberry Street, Bio Zombie, Tokyo Zombie, Quarantine and literally dozens of others.

and some recommendations

Trick r Treat!!!!!!!!!!!!! Loved it.

The Hills Run Red (not out in NZ, but if you like seriously violent slashers with a twisted sense of humour check it out asap). Bloody Disgusting review

and on a final note Night of the Creeps is about to finally get its DVD release due out this month in the US.

Last edited by cryocore : 18th October 2009 at 23:22.
Old 19th October 2009, 00:06     #173
Ajax
Architeuthis

I too am a horror nerd and quite enjoyed Diary of the Dead. The acting was dodgy, the plot full of holes, yet it was watchable. I would rank it below Night, Dawn and Day (and the Dawn remake for that matter), but well above the truly awful Land.

To steal a Harry Knowles line, Diary is like a small-dicked man at a nudist camp. It understands its own shortcomings and has no option but to let it all just swing in the breeze.
Old 19th October 2009, 00:23     #174
cryocore

Survival of the Dead is getting some rather mixed reviews. Some love, some hate, some just dont care. Still Romero has yet to dissapoint me with any of his Zombie flicks so I will watching this as soon as I can.
Old 19th October 2009, 00:37     #175
Ajax
Architeuthis

^^^ I read something about a zombie on horseback in Survival, which gave me that sinking feeling - the same feeling I got as I watched zombies using weapons and developing strategy in Land.

I just watched Night of the Comet for my post-apoc fix. Films I am currently looking forward to are The Road (the book was fucking incredible) and Paranormal Activity.
Old 19th October 2009, 08:14     #176
^BITES^

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryocore
First up Romero had nothing to do with the remake. Zack (300/The Watchmen)Snyder directed a script written by James (Slither/Tromeo & Juliet/Scooby Doo Gunn). Apart from the running zombies I loved it too.

I liked Diary very much despite its flaws. The acting like in all of Romeros films (except the studio backed Land) was average, but the execution was excellent. Good pacing, well shot (if you like/appreciate POV cinema), and plays well within its own internal logic. The gore is good (Day had the best), the fx are very good for an indy film, and most of all its signature Romero throughout, in tone, pace, and philosophy. Sure he's becoming far more obvious in his old age, but symbolism/metaphores seem to go over the heads of a lot of people these days so I cant blame him too much for that.

I am a horror nerd and own well over 100 Zombie films. From the great Dead series (Night/Dawn/Day), [REC], Dance of the Dead, Braindead, Dellamorte Dellamore, Night of the Creeps, Dead Snow, Return of the Living Dead to the grate Children of the Living Dead, Redneck Zombies, Return of the Living Dead 4 and 5, and the truly awful Flesheater, Day of the Dead 2: Contagium and House of the Dead. The Day of the Dead remake also site close ot the bottom... shame really as the Dawn remake was a lot of fun.

Diary occupies neither the top or bottom end of the spectrum, but sits quite nicely along many other enjoyable if not spectacular Zombie flicks like The Bunker, Dawn remake, Versus, Undead, Mulberry Street, Bio Zombie, Tokyo Zombie, Quarantine and literally dozens of others.

and some recommendations

Trick r Treat!!!!!!!!!!!!! Loved it.

The Hills Run Red (not out in NZ, but if you like seriously violent slashers with a twisted sense of humour check it out asap). Bloody Disgusting review

and on a final note Night of the Creeps is about to finally get its DVD release due out this month in the US.
/agree x 10

ZOMBIES DONT FUCKING RUN THE FUCKING SHAMBLE
Best quote in the whole movie.

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 20th October 2009, 06:46     #177
Whiplash
Bobo Fettish

Watched "Drag Me To Hell" last night. Brilliant. Makes up for Spider Man 3 tenfold
Old 20th October 2009, 07:29     #178
lektronimo

Actually the best ever B-grade horror is Dellamorte Dellamore. As it happens its also one of the most beautiful films ever made. Highly recommended for all, not just zombie nerds.
Old 20th October 2009, 09:10     #179
buckies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spink
Ponyo, coming out soon looks awesome. Well the list of voice actors does:

Matt Damon
Liam Neeson
Tina Fey
Cate Blanchett
Noah Cyrus (Miley's Younger Sister)
It's really not. Will get you good points with the girlfriend for the story, and does have its moments of brilliance in animation, but I would rate it below Howls, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke and Nausicaa.
Old 20th October 2009, 10:10     #180
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^BITES^
/agree x 10

ZOMBIES DONT FUCKING RUN THE FUCKING SHAMBLE
Best quote in the whole movie.
Don't read "The Forest of Hands and Teeth" then.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 23rd October 2009, 00:13     #181
cryocore

UP

Awesome

Pixar did it again.

squirrel!!!
Old 24th October 2009, 18:26     #182
herp

UP was great, Moon was better.
Old 24th October 2009, 18:43     #183
Spink

Why did a lot of people watch Up and Moon today? That's like the 5th time today I've seen someone 'review' them both in the same breath. DVD releases/torrent releases? :x
Old 24th October 2009, 19:15     #184
lektronimo

Watched The Machinist again, same with Pan's Labyrinth and V for Vendetta. Last movie sucked (but could have been soooo much better)
Old 24th October 2009, 19:21     #185
StN
I have detailed files

I liked Surrogates - Blade Runner meets I-Robot with a twist of Matrix.

Dunno how much Bruce's Botox cost though...
Old 24th October 2009, 21:46     #186
Lightspeed

The Machinest is classic Bale, IMOP. Good direction, great acting.

I haven't seen Surrogates yet, but from reading Diaspora I believe that if ~petabyte/s data transfer was possible to the human mind, the worlds we chose to live in would be virtual, not intrinsically tied to the physical world except of on the most fundamental of levels.
Old 24th October 2009, 22:29     #187
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
I liked Surrogates - Blade Runner meets I-Robot with a twist of Matrix.

Dunno how much Bruce's Botox cost though...
Bah - just started watching Blade Runner on Blu-Ray (She's asleep...)

Hands down wickedly better - even though I named my boy after (K)Corbin in Fifth Element!

Where's my Bourbon...
Old 24th October 2009, 22:37     #188
Pepsi
Konnichiwa, bitches

A perfect getaway..quite entertaining
Old 26th October 2009, 08:53     #189
Asa

Quote:
Originally Posted by lektronimo
Watched The Machinist again, same with Pan's Labyrinth
Pan's Labyrinth was a good movie, especially the characters
Old 26th October 2009, 10:43     #190
buckies

Pan's is choice. Would love to watch it again on bluray.
Old 26th October 2009, 10:48     #191
?>Superman

Devil grin

Quote:
Just watched Eden Lake based on recommendations here. Thanks _b
Watched Eden Lake, thought it was pretty avg.

Zombieland was awesome!

Need more Zombie movies to watch...or Dead Set S2 :D
Old 26th October 2009, 16:35     #192
tarzan007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spink
Why did a lot of people watch Up and Moon today? That's like the 5th time today I've seen someone 'review' them both in the same breath. DVD releases/torrent releases? :x
Bingo!

saw Moon a few weeks ago at rialto - great sound track and sound design in the film, very enjoyable!
Old 26th October 2009, 21:12     #193
cryocore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?>Superman

Zombieland was awesome!

Need more Zombie movies to watch...or Dead Set S2
A second series of Dead Set would be awesome.

I'm really hangin out for The Horde a french Zombie flick thats been doing the festival rounds recently
Old 26th October 2009, 21:37     #194
IceFox

+1 for moon
Old 26th October 2009, 22:23     #195
Pepsi
Konnichiwa, bitches

I don't know if I'm too desensitized, but I really wanted paranormal activity to freak me out..it just didn't..
Old 26th October 2009, 23:54     #196
cryocore

Quote:
I don't know if I'm too desensitized, but I really wanted paranormal activity to freak me out..it just didn't..
Thats because you (probably) watched the leaked/workprint version. Without the new score, proper sound effects, new ending, also the theatrical version is recut (additional scenes, removed scenes and slightly different scene order) and paced differently from the workprint version.

I saw the workprint about 2 years ago and liked it... wasnt anything too wonderfull, but for a movie made for $10,000 I was impressed. A number of other who saw this review version shared this view, but almost all LOVE the thetrical version. I havnt seen it, but will wait for the NZ release early next year.

Obviously if you've seen the theatrical version (in the US only as far as I know) then yes you have become desensitised, and ignore my comment

Last edited by cryocore : 26th October 2009 at 23:59.
Old 27th October 2009, 09:31     #197
Pepsi
Konnichiwa, bitches

It's not that I didn't like the movie. It was ok.. but I guess I fell into the hype around it being so really scary (you know, people walking out of theatres), and it has been a long time since any horror movie made me actually feel like I'm a little too scared to look. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy them still though. Possibly it's because the "thing" was a demon, instead of a ghost? I could be convinced about the existence of ghosts which would make it a little more realistic for me.. And maybe if there was more in terms of why it was attached to her rather than "it's a random thing". I dunno?
Old 27th October 2009, 09:48     #198
ZoSo

Quote:
Doghouse?
It's pretty bad.. but also worth a look.
Old 27th October 2009, 10:13     #199
^BITES^

Quote:

Zombieland was awesome!

Fuck yeah dead set 2 would be bad ass, british telly owns.

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 27th October 2009, 12:31     #200
?>Superman

Devil grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoSo
Doghouse?
It's pretty bad.. but also worth a look.
Chur will check it out