Old 23rd November 2019, 18:06     #1
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

heterosexuality is normal

according to the Ministry of Health:

https://www.health.govt.nz/publicati...-health-survey

Quote:
Overview of key findings

97% of men and 95% of women identified themselves as heterosexual or straight.
2.3% of men and 3.7% women identified themselves as lesbian, gay or bisexual.
Men were less likely to identify as bisexual than women (1.0% and 2.6% respectively).
Men were less likely to have ever had sex with another man than women with another woman (4.2% and 6.5% respectively).
Men were less likely to have ever been sexually attracted to both men and women than women to both men and women (4.6% and 16% respectively).
Women’s sexual orientation varied by age, whereas men’s did not.
Younger women were more likely to identify as bisexual, have had same-gender sexual partners and have been sexually attracted to both men and women than older women.
Old 24th November 2019, 15:27     #2
crocos

No, that's BS.

It's predominant, it's the median, but that doesn't mean other forms of attraction aren't within the range of normal.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 24th November 2019, 15:37     #3
MadMax
Stuff

We were talking about this in the smoko room at work on Friday. I jokingly said that queer is the new straight ... or if you're straight you're actually queer.
Old 29th November 2019, 14:57     #4
pxpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
No, that's BS.

It's predominant, it's the median, but that doesn't mean other forms of attraction aren't within the range of normal.
Semantics. The fags are outnumbered
Old 29th November 2019, 15:23     #5
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

By a lot. 3 or 4 people in a hundred.
Old 29th November 2019, 15:33     #6
blynk

I think this tells us a little about society

Men were less likely to have ever had sex with another man than women with another woman (4.2% and 6.5% respectively).

So 1.9% of men had sex with another man, but are not gay or bi.
Old 29th November 2019, 15:37     #7
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Maybe they gave it a try and thought ".....nah, that ain't me"
Old 29th November 2019, 15:44     #8
fixed_truth

Big Smile

Quote:
How was data collected?
Professional surveyors from CBG Health Research Ltd collected data in respondents’
homes. For the core part of the survey, data was collected through a face-to-face
interview. However, participants completed the Sexual and Reproductive Health
module by themselves, directly entering responses into a program run on a tablet
computer. Surveyors provided minimal assistance, and reiterated that they would not
be able to see the answers. Respondents could answer ‘Don’t know’ or ‘Choose not to
answer’ to any question. If they chose either of those options for the question about
having ever had sex with someone of a different sex, then they were not asked to
complete the rest of the survey module
I wonder how many people choose not to disclose their sexual orientation in this context?
Old 29th November 2019, 19:05     #9
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Whatever the answer to that question may be, 3-4% of the population being gay is a lot smaller than the numbers that I've seen thrown around for years.
Old 30th November 2019, 09:30     #10
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
A dual frame approach has been used, whereby participants are selected from an area-based
sample and a list-based electoral roll sample. The aim of this approach is to increase the sample
sizes for Māori, Pacific and Asian ethnic groups.
pretty sure there are less gay people within those groups.
Old 30th November 2019, 12:32     #11
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
I think this tells us a little about society

So 1.9% of men had sex with another man, but are not gay or bi.
Quote:
Some men who have sex with other men will not relate to the term gay or homosexual, and do not regard sexual activity with other men as actual sexual activity. Instead, they view sexual relations with women as valid. This is particularly true among individuals from non-Western cultures, but it is also common in the US. Terms such as MSM or same gender loving are often used in place of the word gay. Men in Africa and Latin America engage in sexual relationships with other men while still referring to themselves as heterosexual, which is known as being on the "down-low".
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demo...al_orientation

Interesting that what is considered 'homosexual' varies so much between different places.
I would think that if a man is open to have sex with a guy then he's at least bisexual, whatever that means.
Old 30th November 2019, 13:45     #12
Lightspeed

Ernst Röhm was fine having sex with men while planning the mass execution of homosexuals and other undesirables.