NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 5th April 2022, 02:00     #5481
Lightspeed

What specifically came to mind for me when I saw this was Brexit and having our own version of that if we put on a referendum for co-governance. About how any actual discussion, debate, vote has the potential to be captured and subverted by interests like Murdoch's. To the point even where such discussion and debate is necessary, we're better off not as we'd just be opening ourselves up for exploitation.
Old 5th April 2022, 02:24     #5482
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

There are MANY assertions in the quoted tweet.

- NZ does not suffer from the rage of old white men.
- Jacinda was asked about this.
- Jacinda had an explanation
- The explanation is that "we" have never allowed Murdoch to set up a media outlet here.

With the possible exception of the first one, none of those things are true. Jacinda wasn't asked that question, so she didn't reply, and she certainly didn't reply that we've never allowed Murdoch to set up a media outlet here because a) we did and he did, and b) we don't stop people who legally want to set up media outlets, so it's a stupid falsehood. It's verging on sovcit "I want it to be illegal so it must be".

Murdoch doesn't have a media outlet here NOW, since News sold its publishing assets (Stuff, the Sunday Star, the Dominion Post, The Marlborough Express, Nelson Mail, etc etc) to Fairfax in 2003 and sold its shareholding in Sky TV in 2013. But to make up a lie that Murdoch has never been allowed to operate in NZ is just laughable. He ran just about every newspaper in the country, plus its subscription satellite TV service, plus one of its most-visited news websites.

FUCK people are stupid.
Old 5th April 2022, 05:18     #5483
Lightspeed

o_O

Why are you chasing the factuality of a tweet? It's a tweet.

So why doesn't Murdoch's model work here? Legally they're allowed to operate here. Why wouldn't Murdoch want to operate in NZ? Too much cost for not enough return? Or is the very idea that the news media has influence bunk?

Unless you're gonna keep jerking yourself off about how the contents of tweets aren't the truth? Is there some sweet nothing I can whisper to help finish you off?
Old 5th April 2022, 11:22     #5484
crocos

<backs away>

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية

Last edited by crocos : 5th April 2022 at 11:24.
Old 5th April 2022, 12:17     #5485
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

THE STUPID BURNNNSSSS USSSSSSSS
Old 5th April 2022, 13:29     #5486
Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Why are you chasing the factuality
That's getting used against you someday
Old 5th April 2022, 14:38     #5487
Lightspeed

The stupid I'm seeing is there are still some who expect facts from tweets and other social media. I don't even expect facts from the news media. It's ALL about parsing out signal from noise.

But noted. Ab will flip his giddy shit chasing facts or their absence in social media posts. Skip the social media else Daddy be triggered.

Discussions about the differences between NZ's media landscape and that elsewhere will have to wait till the triggering subsides.
Old 5th April 2022, 16:10     #5488
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

BURNNNSSSS USSSSS PRECIOUSSSSSSS
Old 5th April 2022, 16:15     #5489
Lightspeed

Daddy triggered!

Unless you hold Daddy's hand through how a social media post isn't an expression of pure truth, explaining how "yes, we're aware this isn't a factual statement", Daddy gonna lose his shit. Token recognition is not adequate.

Last edited by Lightspeed : 5th April 2022 at 16:17.
Old 5th April 2022, 16:49     #5490
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

There is actually an interesting discussion to be had along the lines of "why could Murdoch not make his formula work in NZ?"
Old 5th April 2022, 16:57     #5491
Lightspeed

That's what I thought. I figured I had couched away enough of the nature of social media, but obviously not!
Old 5th April 2022, 17:01     #5492
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

If you could present your thesis in the form of a Star Wars prequel meme I'd be able to absorb it more better.
Old 8th April 2022, 18:00     #5493
Lightspeed

NATO to help New Zealand and Australia combat 'China's growing influence'
Old 9th April 2022, 11:13     #5494
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:

New Zealand diplomats helped remove references to the need for "plant-based" diets from the latest IPCC report's influential summary. https://www.newsroom.co.nz/nz-scrubb...box=1649447661
Nice
Old 9th April 2022, 11:45     #5495
_indigo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Nice
Which bit? That it happened, or that it's being called out?
I agree it's shameful. Feels totally against what NZ stands for, allowing 'Big Ag' to influence such a major process for what is effectively monetary reasons.

Last edited by _indigo1 : 9th April 2022 at 11:48.
Old 9th April 2022, 12:27     #5496
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
If you could present your thesis in the form of a Star Wars prequel meme I'd be able to absorb it more better.
Old 11th April 2022, 10:48     #5497
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Even Bomber thinks the Greens have lost their minds:

https://theplatform.kiwi/opinions/wo...ns-credibility
Old 22nd April 2022, 15:15     #5498
Lightspeed

o_O

Who?
Old 26th April 2022, 20:27     #5499
xor

Quote:
"It's not the tyranny of the majority anymore, that's what co-management and co-governance is about. It's nothing to fear." - Willie Jackson
Nothing. To. Fear.
Old 27th April 2022, 01:51     #5500
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

nothing to fear

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/top/46589...electoral-bill
Old 27th April 2022, 10:51     #5501
xor

It's such a wild statement
Old 27th April 2022, 12:39     #5502
fixed_truth

Won't someone please think of the pakeha?!?!
Old 27th April 2022, 13:28     #5503
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
Won't someone please think of the pakeha?!?!
Not a fan
Old 27th April 2022, 14:17     #5504
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Well the principle of "one person, one vote" is pretty essential to the way our government systems work. The votes of one ethnic group can't count for more or less than the votes of another. Yet that's what Labour voted for at the first reading of the Rotorua District Council (Representation Arrangements) Bill, which would change Rotorua council elections to give Maori votes greater weight.
Old 27th April 2022, 14:25     #5505
Lightspeed

As usual we're fighting amongst ourselves over things like whose vote is worth more, all the while efforts continue with little opposition to minimise the value of anyone's vote.

"Those are MY scraps!"
Old 27th April 2022, 15:26     #5506
xor

Nobody is fighting. A group of nationalists were seeking to subvert New Zealand's democracy by attempt to allocate further voting power to those based on their skin colour. And they got caught.

rekt
Old 27th April 2022, 15:30     #5507
Lightspeed

You do enjoy your scraps, don't you xor? Champion of the boot on the neck. Cause you can't give up the fantasy that one day it will be your boot! So you smile, with your face in the mud.

rekt
Old 27th April 2022, 16:20     #5508
xor

How is it that I am the one who wants to put my boot on someone's neck when it is the labour party who is openly advocating to breach the Bill of Rights Act by discriminating against people because of their race?
Old 27th April 2022, 16:24     #5509
Lightspeed

The government advocating to change the law? Crickey! Who do they think they are?! And with things going so smoothly for everyone, why does anything need changing?
Old 27th April 2022, 16:39     #5510
xor

hahaha Not a fan eh.
Old 27th April 2022, 16:44     #5511
Lightspeed

I think there are better ways too, and I think we'll get there. This is the process, we can consider what change we need and why, what approaches we might take. Rather than getting all in flip-flops over the baddies doing the bad thing.
Old 27th April 2022, 18:02     #5512
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
A report by the attorney general found (the Bill) limits the right to be free from discrimination and cannot be justified.

Deputy Prime Minister Grant Robertson told Morning Report that while he voted for it in the first round of the parliamentary process, serious issues had now emerged and it would have to be paused and reassessed.

"It's got significant issues that I think would make it difficult to support but now we go away and have another look at it, talk to the council and see where we go from there."
Note: the Attorney-General who has just realised that the Bill would breach the Bill of Rights Act had also already voted in support of it at the first reading.

Summary: Labour sucks at laws
Old 28th April 2022, 11:15     #5513
xor

Remember When Waititi's twitter account pasted that racist tweet and he blamed it on a staff member?

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/polit...medium=twitter

Quote:
Waititi, the Māori Party co-leader, has accused Parker of caucasity for his comments over the District Council Representative Arrangements Bill, which would give 21,700 Māori roll voters three seats - the same number as the 55,600 general roll voters
oops
Old 28th April 2022, 12:20     #5514
_indigo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
... image ...
I try hard to keep an open mind and be aware of my biases and privileged position (cis white male kthx) - but feeling like the kind of person who would write that is in parliament makes me feel quite uncomfortable and defensive.

Am I wrong?

EDIT:
I mean, feeling 'attacked' by those seeking equity is learning to recognise your privilege in the 21st century - that is not what this is. This feels different.

Last edited by _indigo1 : 28th April 2022 at 12:25.
Old 28th April 2022, 14:43     #5515
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
As usual we're fighting amongst ourselves over things like whose vote is worth more
No we're not; we're fighting about suggested changes to the way we assign weight to votes.

Remember, if something can be changed in a way that you like by a government on the Left, it can be changed in a way that you hate by a government on the Right. The principle of "one person, one vote" should be untouchable no matter who is in power.
Old 28th April 2022, 16:37     #5516
Lightspeed

Yeah, I know about things that should be untouchable Ab. I know about that real well.
Old 28th April 2022, 19:16     #5517
xor

No taxation without representation.
Old 29th April 2022, 16:39     #5518
Lightspeed

We better drop the voting age then. Cause I paid plenty of taxes before I was voting age.

There's a Supreme Court case at the moment, but the result can't change the law.
Old 29th April 2022, 16:41     #5519
Lightspeed

This article is more current:

Supreme Court Agrees To Hear Voting Age Challenge
Old 29th April 2022, 20:41     #5520
Lightspeed

Solomon Islands PM says won't accept militarisation of Pacific

Lets hope so.