Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 22nd February 2010, 12:29     #20041
^BITES^

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
I will always take my car to a WOF station.
ahahaha

Thats a good way to fail a warrant AND have it on record as failing, if your car isn't squeaky clean.

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 22nd February 2010, 12:30     #20042
p01s0n

ya'll need a Eds Autos imo. Ed owns.

Tonys used to be who I went to for tires, specifically the one on Lambton Quay cause there was a guy there that liked rotors and had a RX7 like mine (therefore I could trust him to look after it). Anyway, that guy moved on to another job and since then its been pretty crap to the point where I don't even consider using them.

last week I was in a situation where the ease of access to tonys made it the best option. I had two wheels with worn street tires on them, and two semi slicks to go on those wheels. I dropped them off and they said they could do the tire swap for me. I figured just asking for two (provided) tires to be swapped onto two (provided) rims would be a pretty safe bet. welp.

I got a call about an hour later saying the semi slicks have a ruined bead and wont seal properly, so it cant be completed. Fair enough, they are old tires. I said I'd pick them up at the end of the day.

I went in at 4.30 to collect, and they had one semi slick mounted on one wheel (but unable to be inflated) and they had the other rim with no tire on it. Well, that's great. Then when I asked if they could chuck the street tire back on the empty rim, the guy ummed and aahed about it until I said I need it with a tire so I can move my MR2 around.

fair enough that I didn't pay them for any of it, but if you can't complete a job at least return it all to how it was before you started.
Old 22nd February 2010, 12:47     #20043
p01s0n

Also, this fire possibly being deliberately lit grinds my gears. it was fucking massive when we drove past yesterday, and a huge chunk of the hill is now burnt and an eyesore.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crim...tahi-Bay-blaze

however, having said that, this quote lols me so hard.
Quote:
Four helicopters and about 60 firefighters fought the blaze yesterday, which was reported about 4.20pm and sent smoke over much of Wellington as it advanced on a 1.5 kilometre-wide front.
4.20, blaze it up!
Old 22nd February 2010, 13:29     #20044
Markh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan
I've had bad experiences with both.

You're pretty much screwed unless you're either a) rich or b) know a good mechanic who doesn't harbor secret desires to steal all your money
I have had a whole bunch of WoFs done at a testing station - no issues whatsoever. It might vary from station to station & tester to tester though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^BITES^
ahahaha

Thats a good way to fail a warrant AND have it on record as failing, if your car isn't squeaky clean.
WTF? If there is something on your car that doesn't meet the legal requirements then why wouldn't you want to have it rectified? If your car isn't squeaky clean then get the bloody thing fixed!

I love breaking the law as much as the next guy, but I have always kept my vehicles legal - it just doesn't make sense not to.
Old 22nd February 2010, 13:33     #20045
p-b

Oh for fucks sakes.

If it weren't for the fact that we managed to win the World Cup qualifier, I'd think the All Whites were cursed.
Old 22nd February 2010, 13:41     #20046
smudge
Ich Bin Ein Grey Lynner

Another day spent correcting the logic flaws in my former business partners software design logic:

#1 The only way to figure out if someone is supposed to pay GST on purchases is a complex process, which requires them to have an address record in the database.

#2 Applying for membership is process which requires payment, and therefore GST to be calculated.

#3 Person has no address record in database until membership is paid for.

This is from the guy who went around all the customers of ours after he was 'expelled' claiming (along with the fact I have a mental illness), that he was the programming genius and the software would fall apart without him.
Old 22nd February 2010, 14:12     #20047
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markh
I have had a whole bunch of WoFs done at a testing station - no issues whatsoever. It might vary from station to station & tester to tester though.

WTF? If there is something on your car that doesn't meet the legal requirements then why wouldn't you want to have it rectified? If your car isn't squeaky clean then get the bloody thing fixed!

I love breaking the law as much as the next guy, but I have always kept my vehicles legal - it just doesn't make sense not to.
I agree. I don't care if they say there is something that needs to be fixed, because I am not some dodgy fuck that will then go to the next place to try and pass it. I will go and get that fixed.

The only issue I had was once with rust, and I didn't believe that some if it was in a place to get fixed. However in saying that, they also didn't mark down that it needed to be certified so my dad and I were able to fix it up.
Old 22nd February 2010, 14:36     #20048
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
The Government suggesting that Radio NZ Concert should get commercial sponsorship really fuckin' grinds my gears.
From Radio NZ's newsletter:

Quote:
Paul Bushnell and Adam Macaulay have been invited by the Asia-Pacific Broadcasting Union to attend this annual event held in Iran, running from 26 - 29 May ... All costs for the trip are covered by the conference organisers, the IRIB (Islamic Revolution of Iran Broadcasting agency).
Summary: being sponsored by Kiwi businesses... BAD. Being sponsored by oppressive religious dictatorship... GOOD.
Old 22nd February 2010, 15:08     #20049
Lightspeed

You suck at summarising.

It's not about who pays for what, it's about what's expected in exchange for funding. Whatever the IRIB's motivation is for paying for a couple of NZ journalist's to come visit, when those journalists return to NZ they'll tell the story they want to tell. Local businesses on the other hand will want the story told that will get the most people listening to the "And the story was brought to you by Acme Co." part of the story. Even if that means bumping the PM so we can hear some rubgy head lament some late night indiscretions.
Old 22nd February 2010, 15:28     #20050
^BITES^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markh

Ahhhh not quite.

Perfect example.

My Jeep ... its built in 1973, to 1973 safety regulations.
No seatbelts, no auto aligning breaks, no brake booster, no clutch booster, no power sterring.
By all accounts ... its a driving NIGHTMARE .. with a side order of "FUCK YOU"

However ... these are design intents, and stock to the vehicle.
By all accounts I would instantly fail a warrant at Vehicle Gestapo Testing, because simply my brakes don't stop straight ... which given the method used to adjust these and the type of brakes (drum), its virtually impossible.
If it was I would have already done it, however its neither financially viable or beneficial in the long run.

With myself behind the wheel, and knowledge of how the car shifts and moves during normal driving ... its perfectly fine and safe.

Its not a case of "not wanting to be legal" its a case of those guys get to be right pricks doing it ... and VT does it worse than any other place when it comes to passing a warrant.

The fact one guy didnt mark it down to be certed is more an anomoly than it is a regularity.

()_) ()_)--o-)_)

Last edited by ^BITES^ : 22nd February 2010 at 15:30.
Old 22nd February 2010, 15:50     #20051
Pleb'a

I'm proud my car passes its warrant at a VT station, it's a sign of A++
Old 22nd February 2010, 15:55     #20052
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

jesus, i thought i was in the automotive thread and started scrolling back pages to find a particular post.

mother fuckers waste my time!
Old 22nd February 2010, 17:43     #20053
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
Do Tonys do WOF?
No.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 22nd February 2010, 17:50     #20054
lektronimo

WGMG is that I often read threads from bottom, then upwards not the other way round. So when there's been a few more discussions I tend to get lost in all the information, and have to backtrack to the previous page and re-read everything. That's a time waster right there...
Old 22nd February 2010, 18:23     #20055
Cynos

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge
Another day spent correcting the logic flaws in my former business partners software design logic:

#1 The only way to figure out if someone is supposed to pay GST on purchases is a complex process, which requires them to have an address record in the database.

#2 Applying for membership is process which requires payment, and therefore GST to be calculated.

#3 Person has no address record in database until membership is paid for.
Uhhh....

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge
This is from the guy who went around all the customers of ours after he was 'expelled' claiming (along with the fact I have a mental illness), that he was the programming genius and the software would fall apart without him.
Oh. You poor guy. Expelled though? Shotgun clause?
Old 23rd February 2010, 00:31     #20056
?>Superman

Devil grin

GMG that new season of Better off Ted isn't out yet.
Old 23rd February 2010, 01:21     #20057
[WanG] Wandarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-b
Oh for fucks sakes.

If it weren't for the fact that we managed to win the World Cup qualifier, I'd think the All Whites were cursed.
It won't make any difference to their chances. The whole team being lit on fire and pushed off a cliff won't make any difference either.
Old 23rd February 2010, 08:00     #20058
p01s0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?>Superman
GMG that new season of Better off Ted isn't out yet.
does it get better in later seasons? I watched a couple eps of the first season and the acting seemed lame and flat, and the premise of every episode seemed to be "look how WaCkY our workplace is!!!*bitch steals some milk creamers*"
Old 23rd February 2010, 08:50     #20059
Hurtuso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
From Radio NZ's newsletter:

Summary: being sponsored by Kiwi businesses... BAD. Being sponsored by oppressive religious dictatorship... GOOD.
lol, nice find. Gonna use this one
Old 23rd February 2010, 13:49     #20060
?>Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by p01s0n
does it get better in later seasons? I watched a couple eps of the first season and the acting seemed lame and flat, and the premise of every episode seemed to be "look how WaCkY our workplace is!!!*bitch steals some milk creamers*"
Yeah i didn't like it at first either. Seemed to be trying a bit too hard but somehow I started liking the characters and some funny shit happens as the season goes on.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia still makes me lol harder though.
Old 23rd February 2010, 17:42     #20061
Pleb'a

Bluetooth enabled + close enough to car while inside house + car alarm enabled = trying to answer phone, while disabling bluetooth and finding car keys to turn off car alarm which is deafening the call.
Old 23rd February 2010, 18:22     #20062
p-b

Quote:
Originally Posted by [WanG] Wandarah
It won't make any difference to their chances. The whole team being lit on fire and pushed off a cliff won't make any difference either.
Well obviously we are not going to win. But it would still be nice to be able to put our best players on the field.
Old 23rd February 2010, 18:54     #20063
Thomas Meatball

Incompetent clients are grinding my gears. Nothing new, I know. I don't get paid nearly enough to deal with fixing their bullshit
Old 23rd February 2010, 20:22     #20064
lektronimo

This shit grinds my gears!
Old 23rd February 2010, 22:50     #20065
[WanG] Wandarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-b
Well obviously we are not going to win. But it would still be nice to be able to put our best players on the field.
But then our humiliation is increased!

Far better our best players be out injured, allowing us ready-made excuses for when Timbuktu whip our arse 6-0 in the group stages.
Old 24th February 2010, 13:38     #20066
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

the world as revealed in this post (and its embedded video, and links) GMG

http://uxmag.com/short-news/these-ar...d-be-horrified
Old 24th February 2010, 13:57     #20067
TnT

Holy shit, I counted a total of 4 people who got the answer right and one of those was a complete fluke...

It's annoying but unsurprising, one of the comments in that blog post rings scarily true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Comment
And this is why the iPad, in spite of all the wailing and gnashing of teeth in the tech community about how "closed" or "limited" it is, is going to sell.
Old 24th February 2010, 13:59     #20068
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Did you click through to the RWW article and read the comments?
Old 24th February 2010, 14:03     #20069
?>Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab

A BROWSER IS GOOGLE LOL!1!
Old 24th February 2010, 14:16     #20070
herp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Did you click through to the RWW article and read the comments?
Awesome. Read a couple of pages of em. Loved how you could go to their profile and check out what the idiots look like.
Old 24th February 2010, 14:19     #20071
p01s0n

FUCKKEN WAYNE
Old 24th February 2010, 14:38     #20072
Markh

I blame the person that showed these people where the on button was on their computers. Now stupid people are everywhere, even on the internet! (and they are clogging up my tubes)
Old 24th February 2010, 15:24     #20073
A Corpse
talkative lurker

Crying

(2:20:10 PM) ACorpse: THESE are the people who buy geeneeric viaggggra from spam.
(2:20:28 PM) ACorpse: THESE are the people who give Mr Chinaman from yourbank.com their user/pass.
(2:20:44 PM) ACorpse: THESE are the people who believe they've won the spanish lottery and send off thousands of dollars in advance fees.
(2:20:47 PM) ACorpse: FUCK YOU MORONS!
(2:20:53 PM) SJ: yep
(2:21:11 PM) ACorpse: "this sucksssss how do i get on my screen?"
(2:21:22 PM) ACorpse: "hello i want in now whats goin on,jus wen i wasstartin 2 ike it"
(2:21:31 PM) ACorpse: "im glad im not da only one mad hopefuly it might get us somewhermayb"
(2:21:42 PM) ACorpse: Oh god. Start culling these dickheads please.
(2:21:55 PM) ACorpse: Bring on the zombie apocalypse. I've lost all faith.
(2:23:07 PM) SJ: lol
Old 24th February 2010, 15:31     #20074
BaM
Freeloader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab

Old 24th February 2010, 16:32     #20075
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Corpse
(2:21:55 PM) ACorpse: Bring on the zombie apocalypse. I've lost all faith.
The zombies are already here, they're just not undead.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 24th February 2010, 16:37     #20076
p01s0n

You do realize that pretty much every single one of those people don't actually give a shit about the internet, right? ie: it's not actually important in their life.
Old 24th February 2010, 16:41     #20077
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by p01s0n
You do realize that pretty much every single one of those people don't actually give a shit about the internet, right? ie: it's not actually important in their life.
I bet it is. That's the point. Those people probably all use the Internet, and all use computers and applications in order to do it. They just don't give a shit about them. It's the use that they care about - search! Facebook! Yahoo! - not the tool.
Old 24th February 2010, 16:47     #20078
xor

Some guy: "xor, you looking for work? I know a guy who's a service manager for a big company and is looking for some good engineers to start in about a months time"
xor: "I'm interested, can you send me the job description and I'll forward my C.V"

Sucks having to wait. GIMME NOW!
Old 24th February 2010, 21:56     #20079
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

Prime right now is grinding my gears. I never, ever watch TV. I happened to walk past a tv that showed an ad for a programme called "Wife Swap".

Omg, this hick bitch farming family should be taken out and shot. RAW CHICKEN? BEING CLEAN IS HARMFUL? EDUCATION IS BAD? THEY CLEAN THEIR TEETH WITH BUTTER AND CLAY, AND THEY ALL HAVE HORRIBLE DECAY BETWEEN THEIR TEETH.

edit: WATER DEHYDRATES YOU BTW.

edit2: She actually said "WATER IS A SOLVENT, IT ACTUALLY DEHYDRATES YOU"

Last edited by Warrick : 24th February 2010 at 22:00.
Old 25th February 2010, 09:26     #20080
LordP

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/...-in-italy.html

1) Italian cockbite uploads a video (to Google Video) of her and some friends taunting an autistic kid.

2) A public prosecutor charges 4 Google employees for not respecting Italian privacy laws.

3) A judge in Milan convicts 3 of them.

Wait, what?