Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 22nd May 2020, 23:56     #4041
ePi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Faith? Warnermedia just wants to build hype for HBO Max. God, how far has HBO fallen. The network that gave us Oz and the Sopranos and Chernobyl is now the place to watch Gossip Girl, Big Bang Theory, and Friends. And the Snyder Cut.
You left out The Wire which is unforgivable.

HBO also gave us the great series of Watchmen, Succession, The Outsider, Euphoria, the first four seasons of Game of Thrones, Veep, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Barry, True Detective (S1), Band of Brothers, Westworld (S1), John Oliver. Take away all the networks and just leave me HBO and I'll be happy. I love the old school logo introduction. The TV turns on in-screen, then comes the static, then HBO Entertainment fades in. As soon as I hear that sound, the couch becomes more comfortable, the room is warmer.
Old 23rd May 2020, 00:37     #4042
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

The HBO that made all those amazing shows no longer exists. HBO is now a business unit of Warnermedia, just like Lucasfilm is now just a business unit of Disney.
Old 24th May 2020, 00:35     #4043
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

watched Spirited Away again tonight. Man, it's just magical.
Old 27th May 2020, 11:53     #4044
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Both those movies fall in to the category of "I don't want to ruin it by seeing them" for me. IT is probably the novel I loved the most in my late teens, and Blade Runner has always been huge for me.
OK so I finally succumbed to Netflix's constant recommendation that I watch BR2049, and I am happily relieved that it did not ruin Blade Runner for me. Huge Villeneuve fanboy here and having Hampton Fancher on screenplay duties was reassuring. I thought the movie was very well made with enough echoes of the original's magic to keep me engaged.

On a purely nerd level, HOLY SHIT Sean Young's Rachael was incredible.I had to go and find out what was involved after seeing the movie, and apparently it was a combo of Sean Young on set coaching a body double on how to mimic her walk and body language; closeup facefootage of Young and the double; a CG team going bonkers on CG face work (apparently their directive was "don't suck like Rogue One"); and an entirely different voice actress who could mimic 20-year-old Sean Young's voice. Shit's getting nuts.
Old 27th May 2020, 12:15     #4045
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
On a purely nerd level, HOLY SHIT Sean Young's Rachael was incredible.I had to go and find out what was involved after seeing the movie, and apparently it was a combo of Sean Young on set coaching a body double on how to mimic her walk and body language; closeup facefootage of Young and the double; a CG team going bonkers on CG face work (apparently their directive was "don't suck like Rogue One"); and an entirely different voice actress who could mimic 20-year-old Sean Young's voice. Shit's getting nuts.
This - watched both with the boy earlier this year (and made him drink JW Black Label thoughout). Did you pick the cheeky Weyland/Prometheus references?
Old 27th May 2020, 14:39     #4046
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
This - watched both with the boy earlier this year (and made him drink JW Black Label thoughout). Did you pick the cheeky Weyland/Prometheus references?
No! what were they?
Old 27th May 2020, 15:08     #4047
StN
I have detailed files

I thought it was a new(ish) thing when Weyland mentioned an old friend in Prometheus, but apparently it goes back to Ridley reusing CGI from the Alien Nostromo disengaging sequence in the Spinner docking graphics. Then Captain Dallas is listed on the green screen in Aliens as coming from Tyrell Corp. during Ripley's debrief.

Anyway - with Ridley involved, it comes full circle.
Old 27th May 2020, 16:14     #4048
StN
I have detailed files

...although I'd be more interested to see Moon brought into the fold.