NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 23rd January 2022, 14:01     #2441
MadMax
Stuff

Or, here’s where NZ shines and sticks it the big finger due to high vax rates.
Old 23rd January 2022, 14:16     #2442
xor

The red light setting isn't going to reduce/delay hospital admissions. #letitrip
Old 23rd January 2022, 15:29     #2443
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

If the overseas experience is any indicator, what will happen is that the fast-spreading Omicron variant will cause infection numbers to go through the roof (NSW went up 40x - not forty percent, forty times) and the hardest hit will be those populations that have cultural reasons to be inside together (religious groups, large immigrant families in the same house, sports fans, companies that demand everybody has to work in the office, etc). Vaccinated people won't get terribly sick. (Inc, who got it, said to me "I've had worse hangovers than this") Where there's an intersection between groups of people inside and groups of people unvaccinated, shit is going to get real, and yep some people will die.

Where failure to prepare is really going to bite is in areas like testing, isolation times, and supply chains. What South Australia has seen is a huge increase in infections, so huge numbers of people needing to be tested, and the system not keeping up. Nobody wants to wait in a queue for 8 hours to get a swab, and nobody wants to wait 8 hours in a queue to to then get told "sorry we just ran out of tests". And then when the labs are swamped with tests, it can take days for test results to come back. And a responsible person will isolate from the moment he/she starts feeling sick until the test results are in. So that means huge numbers of people won't turn up for work, and all of a sudden society at large will realise that the people who load containers and drive trucks and stock shelves can't do it remotely via Teams.
Old 24th January 2022, 07:12     #2444
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Where there's an intersection between groups of people inside and groups of people unvaccinated, shit is going to get real, and yep some people will die.
...but then where will Bishop Tamaki (and his southern hanger on Derek) get his untraceable, cash only, tax free tithes from? I'd be organising protests if I were him!
Old 24th January 2022, 12:04     #2445
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Maori+PI communities will get hit hard, for sure. Churchy, unhealthy, mistrusting of govt health advice.

You’ll know things are really bad when the govt starts doing things to hide the numbers. Like, “we’re now counting hospitalisations not infections”.
Old 24th January 2022, 12:58     #2446
_Incubus_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
If the overseas experience is any indicator, what will happen is that the fast-spreading Omicron variant will cause infection numbers to go through the roof (NSW went up 40x - not forty percent, forty times) and the hardest hit will be those populations that have cultural reasons to be inside together (religious groups, large immigrant families in the same house, sports fans, companies that demand everybody has to work in the office, etc). Vaccinated people won't get terribly sick. (Inc, who got it, said to me "I've had worse hangovers than this") Where there's an intersection between groups of people inside and groups of people unvaccinated, shit is going to get real, and yep some people will die.

Where failure to prepare is really going to bite is in areas like testing, isolation times, and supply chains. What South Australia has seen is a huge increase in infections, so huge numbers of people needing to be tested, and the system not keeping up. Nobody wants to wait in a queue for 8 hours to get a swab, and nobody wants to wait 8 hours in a queue to to then get told "sorry we just ran out of tests". And then when the labs are swamped with tests, it can take days for test results to come back. And a responsible person will isolate from the moment he/she starts feeling sick until the test results are in. So that means huge numbers of people won't turn up for work, and all of a sudden society at large will realise that the people who load containers and drive trucks and stock shelves can't do it remotely via Teams.
We'd been triple boosted about 10 days before I got it, I like to think that really helped me get over it very quickly. It really was very mild for me...a hangover for about 4 days...then the missus got it and the 2 kids. She was a bit worse than me, the 12 year old that had one dose was quite mild as well. The 9 year old without any immunity was throwing up for a couple of days and had a really nasty fever along with hallucinations. He suffered a lot worse than the rest of the household.

Getting tested here in SA was a joke, it took 2 days to get my PCR results after a positive RAT test to alert me to having it initially. No calls from the Health Dept about where I got it. The queues were crazy and we couldn't get any additional RAT tests to know when we were clear other than the arbitrary 10 days and you're ok to leave your plague house.
Old 24th January 2022, 13:44     #2447
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Thanks Inc.

I hope everyone else reports any illness so we've got sample data on who gets it, who dies, and how long we each take.

This is where the real science begins. We've got our "As Seen On TV" hypothesis, the population/subjects are prepared, let's see how the experiment goes.

Hoo rah!~
Old 24th January 2022, 13:50     #2448
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
Thanks Inc.

I hope everyone else reports any illness so we've got sample data on who gets it, who dies, and how long we each take.

This is where the real science begins. We've got our "As Seen On TV" hypothesis, the population/subjects are prepared, let's see how the experiment goes.

Hoo rah!~
No. People telling personal anecdotes is not real science.

Here's another thing that's going to fuck NZ: the Omicron wave is going to hit just as the school holidays end. If schools stay open, that's a big fucking petri dish of people inside together. If they close, households are turned upside down even without infections. Parents will have to stay home, and again people who drive trucks and stock shelves can't do it remotely.
Old 24th January 2022, 14:05     #2449
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Laugh

If you say so
Old 24th January 2022, 16:16     #2450
Lightspeed

Viper's Vax

This guy is apparently legit getting paid by RT to do investigative journalism, but I have no idea. I do know he's hilarious tho.
Old 24th January 2022, 17:17     #2451
Lightspeed

For humour value only:

Maybe it's time to get hold of some cannabis:

Cannabidiol Inhibits SARS-CoV-2 Replication and Promotes the Host Innate Immune Response

I say for humour only because while it's a legit paper, let's not pretend we're in a position to interpret primary source information of fields we're not experts in.
Old 24th January 2022, 21:42     #2452
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

For not humour value:

https://apple.news/AFKtvALYUR-WmBKL6HENgvw
Old 25th January 2022, 12:37     #2453
The Edge

Quote:
Please explain to me, seriously: If vaccination is our way out of this, and so many people are vaccinated, why are cases at an all time high?
https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-z...ctiveness.html

Last edited by The Edge : 25th January 2022 at 12:39.
Old 25th January 2022, 13:00     #2454
Cyberbob

Pretty sure Simpson's Paradox applies here.

Vaccinated people have more cases than unvaccinated cases, but when you look at both sets of data together, it's far worse for the unvacccinated.

You can't just look at the quantities and be done with it. You need to look at the data with the correct analysis. Not the analysis you want to apply to get the conclusion you want, but the most appropriate one given the data sets.

Quote:
Dr Watson said looking at cases per 1000 people, 3.1 were unvaccinated but just 0.73 were vaccinated showing unvaccinated people were 4.2 times more likely to be infected.

And it's even more startling with hospitalisations. Per 1000 people, 0.32 were unvaccinated and 0.017 were vaccinated meaning unvaccinated people are 18 times more likely to be hospitalised.

Last edited by Cyberbob : 25th January 2022 at 13:01.
Old 25th January 2022, 13:38     #2455
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Now look at the data for 40 year olds and convince me I should give a fuck.
Old 25th January 2022, 14:05     #2456
sidbo
Raptus regaliter

Quote:
I should give a fuck about other people.
Old 25th January 2022, 16:14     #2457
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I am now triple vaxxed (2x AZ, 1x Pfizer) and my Internet speeds are better than ever, thank you BillG
Old 25th January 2022, 16:15     #2458
Cyberbob

Quote:
Now look at the data for 40 year olds and convince me I should give a fuck.
I'm happy to have this discussion. Can you please show me the data you're refering to first?

That sort of thing? Or have you got some other data that fits your narrative better?

Last edited by Cyberbob : 25th January 2022 at 16:19.
Old 26th January 2022, 10:31     #2459
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

His body his choice

https://apple.news/ASFwiVQbhSB6aqrxTc1UwEw
Old 26th January 2022, 10:39     #2460
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent article
A young father is being denied a heart transplant because he won’t get vaccinated against Covid-19.
Does the article mention how candidates are chosen for heart transplants? You have to register to read the article.
Old 26th January 2022, 10:46     #2461
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Thumbs up

Let's go with your data.

0.02% chance of hospitalization on a given day. Wait, let's be generous. 0.03% chance of hospitalization.

So 99.97% of unvaccinated 40 year olds are not in hospital in a worst case scenario. Most of the time, 99.99% of unvaccinated 40 year olds are not in hospital. Really makes you wonder what's different about the ones that do end up in hospital.

I'll take those chances, thanks for your affirmation.
Old 26th January 2022, 10:49     #2462
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
Does the article mention how candidates are chosen for heart transplants? You have to register to read the article.
Never paste https://facebook.com/l.php?u= before a URL like that, otherwise you might unfortunately get around paywalls.

Quote:
like many other transplant programs in the United States – the Covid-19 vaccine is one of several vaccines and lifestyle behaviors required for transplant candidates in the Mass General Brigham system in order to create both the best chance for a successful operation and also the patient’s survival after transplantation.
Transplant candidates must also receive the seasonal influenza and hepatitis B vaccines, follow other healthy behaviors, and demonstrate they can commit to taking the required medications following transplant.

Last edited by Cyberbob : 26th January 2022 at 10:51.
Old 26th January 2022, 12:20     #2463
StN
I have detailed files

Hmmm - Charles may have been on to something after all...
Old 26th January 2022, 20:39     #2464
_indigo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
Even aside from that; would they accept a vaxxed heart??
Old 26th January 2022, 21:22     #2465
smudge
Ich Bin Ein Grey Lynner

Kinda mind boggling to think someone would be ok with doctors cutting their heart out, and sewing someone else's in, but not being willing to have a vaccine. *shrug*
Old 26th January 2022, 23:21     #2466
MadMax
Stuff

Maybe I'm getting old but covid-19 seems to have caused 2020 and 2021 to be blurred together.
Old 27th January 2022, 09:37     #2467
Cyberbob

Quote:
I'll take those chances, thanks for your affirmation.
By the numbers, I have a very low chance of crashing my car today. I have an even lower chance of ending up in hospital today from crashing my car.

But i'm still putting on my seatbelt because despite such a low chance of crashing my car, i want to give myself the best chance I can of not ending up in hospital or worse, should the unforseen happen. It's a choice I make, it's easy to do, it's free, and yes it's also mandatated that I do it in the interest of social safety.

In New Zealand, road traffic mortality is 74 per million.
Right now, COVID deaths in NZ is 10 per million.

Guess what the UK's is at the moment? 2,249 per million.
The US? 2,656 per million.
Australia, 130 per million.

We're in a fortunate position right now of having low numbers, but could very easily shoot right passed our road traffic mortality in no time. But you'll still put your seatbelt on.
Old 27th January 2022, 10:38     #2468
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

If you want to use the seatbelt analogy, then getting vaccinated is like wearing a few strands of wool as a seatbelt. It kinda looks like protection, but the reality is it won't do shit, and if you're going fast enough (a person whose health is already compromised), you're gonna die. The wool might hold you if you have a little bump, but chances are you would have survived anyway.
Old 27th January 2022, 13:23     #2469
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Imagine living in a timeline in which 95% of car-crash hospitalisations and 99% of car-crash deaths are of people who didn't wear a seatbelt, and then saying "the reality is it won't do shit"
Old 27th January 2022, 15:04     #2470
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

And finding out they were all 80 and died of medical events and then still ragging on people who don't fit the profile.

You'd not be right in the head.
Old 27th January 2022, 15:32     #2471
Lightspeed

Using the seatbelt analogy, some people would be mid-air after a head-on collision about to become a meat crayon and would still believe seatbelts aren't worth it.
Old 27th January 2022, 15:46     #2472
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
And finding out they were all 80 and died of medical events and then still ragging on people who don't fit the profile.

You'd not be right in the head.
"That person who died of internal injuries after crashing a car without a seatbelt would have fallen down some stairs anyway!"
Old 27th January 2022, 19:00     #2473
StN
I have detailed files

My son just explained why the RAT thingies don't work well in a small sample size/low contamination environment, but as my maths_with_stats shrivelled up around 35 years ago, and there has been a Pinot influence, I smiled and nodded.
Old 28th January 2022, 14:43     #2474
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

australian data, explainer for dummies

Old 28th January 2022, 16:07     #2475
ePi

A few of my UK friends (v. healthy, mid 30s) are suffering pretty bad from long covid. Like complete change of lifestyle - v. debilitating. I wonder how long that'll last and if it will ever go away.

I remember when I had Dengue Fever a few years ago and that pretty much knocked me out for 6 months. Once the initial fever disappeared I was taking 6 naps a day and gradually declining to 1 nap a day after 6 months. But I got over it slowly. Hopefully it's the same with this thing.
Old 28th January 2022, 16:49     #2476
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
It'll be interesting to see how this bumps up with Omicron likely in the wild

There it goes:

Old 28th January 2022, 20:51     #2477
The Edge

I hope that's wrong, but I guess we'll have to see. I do remember Delta was meant to cause zillions of cases too, but it didn't...maybe we were just lucky.

Also Simon, while you're here - the clock on the forums appears to be about 25 minutes slow.
Old 28th January 2022, 22:50     #2478
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Got it.
Old 28th January 2022, 23:23     #2479
Lightspeed

Old 29th January 2022, 09:58     #2480
smudge
Ich Bin Ein Grey Lynner

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Edge
I hope that's wrong, but I guess we'll have to see. I do remember Delta was meant to cause zillions of cases too, but it didn't...maybe we were just lucky.
Chris Billington's predictions have been incredibly accurate in NSW.

His chart for us on Xmas day had us peaking in the middle of Jan: https://www.reddit.com/r/Coronavirus...h_daily_cases/

We peaked on the 15th.