Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 9th December 2021, 23:59     #1121
Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
Government to ban tobacco sales to young people for their lifetime in first-ever 'smokefree generation'
This is wild. In the future there will be 50 & 60 year olds getting asked for ID when they buy smokes.
Christ just ban them and be done with it
Old 10th December 2021, 00:02     #1122
Lightspeed

It will be interesting to see how it goes.

Nicotine isn't banned, so people will still be able to get their fix, so it's not like prohibition of old.
Old 10th December 2021, 06:56     #1123
MadMax
Stuff

For many, a patch of nicotine isn’t enough. They are also just as addicted to the physical motions of smoking.
Old 13th January 2022, 10:22     #1124
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarke Gayford
Sorry I got caught, lol
Old 17th January 2022, 12:11     #1125
xor

#thoughtsandprayers
Old 17th January 2022, 13:51     #1126
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Gym selfie thoughts and prayers on Instagram are the most powerful thoughts and prayers in the world
Old 17th January 2022, 15:12     #1127
StN
I have detailed files

It's like he's trying to start his own meme - leaving enough space to complete the last sentence?
Old 17th January 2022, 15:21     #1128
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peeni
Naturally, i finished my set
Old 17th January 2022, 17:27     #1129
fixed_truth

In the meantime...kia kaha?
Old 17th January 2022, 17:57     #1130
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
Naturally, i finished my set
Ilold
Old 18th January 2022, 21:42     #1131
xor

MIQ is not allowing any new people into nz. Rekt
Old 18th January 2022, 22:41     #1132
xor

Old 27th January 2022, 13:14     #1133
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

The government isn't confiscating Rapid Antigen Tests from private businesses, the government is simply intercepting the tests that private businesses have ordered before they arrive and then taking them, which is totally different

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...t-seizing-them
Old 27th January 2022, 13:25     #1134
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
The government isn't confiscating Rapid Antigen Tests from private businesses, the government is simply intercepting the tests that private businesses have ordered before they arrive and then taking them, which is totally different

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...t-seizing-them
Just heard about this this morning, and couldn't help but notice the exact same story going on in Aus right now. QLD Rail and GPC both placed confirmed orders for ~20,000 RATs, only to have their orders "disappear" at the border according to their two separate suppliers
Old 27th January 2022, 13:38     #1135
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Hickey
Official figures show the stark explosion in inequality since the onset of covid as the Government’s interventions to print $58b and give $20b in cash to business owners helped make owners of homes and businesses $952b richer since December 2019.

Meanwhile, renters have missed out on that asset growth and have been hammered with real wage deflation and rents rising faster than incomes. The poorest are now $400m more in debt and need twice as many food parcels as before Covid.

The Labour Government, supported by the Greens, presided over policies that accidentally on purpose engineered the biggest transfer of wealth to asset owners from current and future renters in the history of New Zealand.
https://thekaka.substack.com/p/covid...Published=true
Old 30th January 2022, 01:06     #1136
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Pregnant New Zealand journalist that covered fall of Afghanistan to Taliban and advocated for women's rights is given refuge by Taliban after Labour Government rejects emergency requests for border entry

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-z...-miq-spot.html
Old 30th January 2022, 09:57     #1137
fixed_truth

Quote:
Speaking specifically on Bellis' bid to gain MIQ ahead of the arrival of her baby, Bunny told the Herald that the journalist applied for an emergency voucher on January 24.

Bunny said the date she requested of February 27 was not within the 14-day window required for an emergency allocation.

"She received a response deactivating the application and inviting her to reapply within the 14-day window, and to contact MIQ if she intended to change her flights to return to New Zealand earlier," Bunny said.
Clickbait title aside, if I was in her situation I would be a bit more flexible, emergency and all.
Old 30th January 2022, 10:25     #1138
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
Clickbait title aside, if I was in her situation I would be a bit more flexible, emergency and all.
Yeah, high level seems odd. I need an emergency MIQ spot, in a months time.
Well, do you need to get out of there in a hurry or not?

And she could apply again in 2 weeks time.
Old 30th January 2022, 16:03     #1139
xor

Makes a mockery of the 'team of 5 million' and 'be kind' propaganda. The govt has abandoned its own citizens.
Old 30th January 2022, 16:15     #1140
blynk

Maybe.
These are assumptions

- Lived overseas for the entire time of Covid
- Hasn't made an attempt to return to NZ at all
- Gets pregnant
- Now wants to try and return on an emergency spot.

And then she gets a spot, and someone else family member doesn't.
Or someones relative dies, or someone needs to get home.

As soon as you put a emotional POV on it, where does it stop. Who is deserving and who is not.
So, they put some requirements in to help.
One of those requirements is for it to be an emergency, it needs to be within 14 days - sounds reasonable. I wouldn't necessarily call it an emergency if you can wait another month.

Maybe they could reapply for a slot in the next 14 days.
Old 30th January 2022, 23:27     #1141
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

This is the only assumption that matters: that she is a citizen of this country.
Old 31st January 2022, 01:32     #1142
Lightspeed

It speaks to the dire circumstances others have been left to face since these border controls have been in place.
Old 31st January 2022, 06:56     #1143
StN
I have detailed files

Why can't she just do what the others have - book a flight that has a layover in Auckland, and change her mind and not get on the connecting flight, and walk out of Customs into her own country, and then it's the Govt's job to find her a spot.
Old 31st January 2022, 12:00     #1144
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
This is the only assumption that matters: that she is a citizen of this country.
and shes not being denied to coming back to NZ, but there are current limitation on the number of people arriving at one time.

Its like complaining that you can't hope on a bus when it is at full capacity, because "you have at the right to hop on that bus that you want to hop on".

It's not like this is new, so I would be interested to see where she placed in all the MIQ lotteries over the last few months.
Old 31st January 2022, 12:20     #1145
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I ANAL but

No, the Immigration Act 2009 is very clear - NZ citizenship confers upon the holder the right to enter and remain in NZ at any time. For the Labour Govt to say "oh we're adding this other requirement, only a certain number of people can arrive at once" is plainly illegal. If a plane or boat can get you here, and you're a citizen, you have the right to get off the plane or boat in NZ, the end.
Old 31st January 2022, 16:18     #1146
fixed_truth

Quote:
The Bill of Rights includes an escape hatch. Section 5 allows for the rights and freedoms protected by the act to be subject to “reasonable limits”.

The test is that the limit has to be “demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society”.

MIQ was set up under the Public Health Response Act, which has to be consistent with the Bill of Rights, Geddis says.

“So is the current MIQ system a demonstrably justified limit on the right to return to New Zealand as guaranteed by the Bill of Rights Act? If it is, then it's fine.

“If it's not, then the order can't be made, you can't have that system, because the Bill of Rights Act takes precedence.”

The idea of limiting the rights of returning Kiwis to protect the health and wellbeing of those already in New Zealand is probably justifiable, Geddis says.
MIQueue: Is it legal to stop New Zealanders coming home?
Old 31st January 2022, 16:52     #1147
xor

Quote:
“From June 1 last year to January 31 2022, there were 219 emergency allocation applications which involved a pregnancy, with 29 approved [and] 65 declined.”
#bekind
Old 31st January 2022, 17:54     #1148
Lightspeed

Given how badly wounded some regions are by covid, I'm glad for the success of the measures that the country has managed to implement and tolerate.

Charlotte Bellis is legit, if I was handing out favouritism, it would be to someone like them.

But those who actually make these decisions have done us right, so I'm reluctant to criticise.
Old 2nd February 2022, 14:27     #1149
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
#bekind
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...5S574DDQQK2WQ/

Retired Kiwi couple trapped in Australia. Because they're not in NZ, the govt is cancelling their superannuation payments. The govt won't let them come home. Because they're not citizens Australia won't do shit, and Jacinda's happy with that arrangement.
Old 2nd February 2022, 17:28     #1150
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Border scheme for 300 teachers let just 8 educators into NZ

If anything, this Government is consistently useless. We know exactly what we're going to get when any plan is announced: fuck all of what they promise.
Old 4th February 2022, 12:54     #1151
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Hooton
Hipkins actually has just told Mike Hosking that “all businesses are essential but some are more essential than others”!
I'm going to look for the audio for this. This is absolutely amazing if true!
Old 8th February 2022, 13:42     #1152
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
When news broke that the Ministry was requisitioning tests ordered by private companies for its own stocks, Dr Ashley Bloomfield said private and public orders of the tests were being "consolidated" into one order for the Government.

Bloomfield twice assured the public that tests taken by the Ministry were "forward orders" from overseas, not tests already in New Zealand.

"Many businesses already have tests onshore and we're not requisitioning those or doing anything like that," Bloomfield said.

Quote:
The Ministry of Health has backtracked on a claim by director general of health Dr Ashley Bloomfield that tests requisitioned from private businesses were not already in New Zealand when the Ministry took them.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/covid-...AAZDVPYIEEWDY/
Old 9th February 2022, 11:05     #1153
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald Article
While no stocks of Abbott tests that are already in the country have been requisitioned, a substantial stock of Roche tests have been, a fact the Ministry now admits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuff Article
Roche issued a statement to media on Tuesday night saying none of its stocks had been diverted or seized by the Government.

“RAT kits have been, and will continue to be, supplied to all New Zealand customers, including the Ministry of Health, in the sequence that purchase orders were placed,” the statement said.
So the MOH has now admitted to something that hasn't actually happen?
Or do Roche want to keep the Govt happy, because they will be purchasing a lot more than a business would.

Last edited by blynk : 9th February 2022 at 11:06.
Old 10th February 2022, 19:14     #1154
Lightspeed

Laugh

https://twitter.com/henrycooke/statu...718842882?s=21
Old 10th February 2022, 20:10     #1155
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

*golf clap*
Old 12th February 2022, 08:23     #1156
Cyberbob

How have I not seen that yet. Here's the full link etc.

55766 (2021). Erica Stanford to the Minister of Education

National MP Erica Stanford demands on public record to know if the Minister of Education has spoken to the Minister of COVID Response about returning teachers, and if not, why not.

The Minister of Education's official response is golden.

I hope this was just her play at a fun joke.

Last edited by Cyberbob : 12th February 2022 at 08:25.
Old 24th February 2022, 19:37     #1157
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Good news everyone
Quote:

#BREAKING: We’re committed to making New Zealand the best place in the world to be a child - and we're making good progress! https://twitter.com/nzlabour/status/1496727485832073218
Old 7th March 2022, 12:13     #1158
xor

Quote:
Prime minister Jacinda Ardern has denied New Zealand’s experiencing a “cost of living crisis” and accusations her government’s wasteful spending may have contributed to it.
https://thespinoff.co.nz/live-update...t-petrol-taxes

Here's the new boss, same as the old boss.
Old 7th March 2022, 23:52     #1159
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

New Roy Morgan Poll:

National 38%
Labour 32%
Act 11.5%
Greens 11%
Old 8th March 2022, 08:38     #1160
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
New Roy Morgan Poll:

National 38%
Labour 32%
Act 11.5%
Greens 11%
How interesting. I must have not caught the news that according to Roy Morgan National & Act would have been able to form a government since November last year.

Seems like theirs and the Taxpayers' Union Curia Poll are very out of line with each other