NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 19th May 2022, 11:36     #1
xor

co-governance

I watched the video and read the articles but i still don't know what they are referring to when they say 'co-governance'

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/polit...aid-of-it.html
Old 19th May 2022, 11:58     #2
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

It's like "diversity, equity, and inclusion". It's never explained or defined anywhere, but if you ask about it you're a thoughtcriminal.
Old 19th May 2022, 12:48     #3
Lightspeed

I don't think it matters and I'm not sure I care.

We're failing to address climate change, that catastrophe will wipe out all this diddling that's going on around the edges.

Then there's all the rape the status quo enables. If this is the best we've got, why shouldn't it burn?
Old 19th May 2022, 14:37     #4
_indigo1

*this is fine meme, except with a brown dog with a moko and a white dog*
Old 3rd June 2022, 09:14     #5
xor

Quote:
DAVID SEYMOUR: Is the Prime Minister aware that four people related to just one Cabinet Minister Nanaia Mahuta have been appointed to Government working groups or governance roles since 2017 in areas for which for which that Minister had Ministerial responsibility; and if so, is she comfortable that such appointments fit with the Cabinet Manual’s guidance that “appearances and propriety can be as important as actual conflicts of interest.”?
Quote:
GRANT ROBERTSON: Aspects of the member’s question are inaccurate and I reject the premise of them. With respect to Ms Mahuta, she is scrupulous in the way that she adheres to the Cabinet Manual.
Old 3rd June 2022, 10:58     #6
Lightspeed

People tend to be related in small communities, as Maori communities tend to be. A family that is able to support someone into such a high position of leadership against the odds is likely to be able to similarly support other members.

Racists gonna racist tho, especially if they sense of loss of power. It's a good way to rally the bootlickers.
Old 3rd June 2022, 11:09     #7
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Against the odds? Nanaia is Robert Mahuta’s daughter, in an electorate that Labour considers strategically important. Her position - for which she is woefully unqualified and in which she has demonstrated nothing but incompetence - was handed to her on a plate.
Old 3rd June 2022, 11:23     #8
Lightspeed

You think the indigenous are just as likely to find themselves in positions of leadership as anyone in a colonised nation?
Old 3rd June 2022, 12:03     #9
xor

lol, good one lolspeed.

https://oag.parliament.nz/2020/confl...f-interest.pdf
Quote:
Managing Conflicts of Interest
The other interest or duty might be:
• holding another public office;
• being a current or (recent) former advisor, director, or partner of another
business or organisation;
• being a member of a club, society, or association;
• having a professional or legal obligation to someone else (such as being a
trustee);
• having a beneficial interest in a trust;
• owning or occupying a piece of land;
• owning shares or some other investment or asset;
• having received a gift, hospitality, or other benefit from someone;4
• owing a debt to someone; or
• being a relative or close friend of someone who has one of these interests, or
who could otherwise be personally affected by a decision of the
public organisation
Old 3rd June 2022, 18:08     #10
fixed_truth

Who decides whether it's breaking the rules or not?
Old 3rd June 2022, 19:06     #11
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

The Leader of the Labour Party, lol
Old 4th June 2022, 14:28     #12
blynk

My kids primary school is riddled with incest.
The principal, DP, assistant principal, some BOT members and a handful of staff are all related.
And basically the school is shit for it, because they just all go with the same standard shit and there is no new thoughts.

It doesn't help that the Principal and a bunch of the BOT have been there for about 20+ years and need to go.

At least in politics they be kicked.
Old 6th June 2022, 10:26     #13
Lightspeed

School boards are the worst. Petty fiefdoms populated by psychopaths who can't actually achieve anything in the world.
Old 7th June 2022, 08:08     #14
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
My kids primary school is riddled with incest.
I think you meant to indicate that your child's school governance structure has a nepotism problem.
Old 7th June 2022, 12:12     #15
Lightspeed

Even if by accident, he's likely still right. People have no idea the volume of incest that exists in New Zealand. It's one reason why National reducing benefits to mothers who didn't list the father of their children was so cruel.
Old 7th June 2022, 15:49     #16
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

You'd think that Nanaia Mahuta's incompetence and corruption would be receiving wall-to-wall coverage in the nation's news papers and TV channels, wouldn't you? The Labour Govt must consider the Public Interest Journalism Fund to be money well spent.
Old 7th June 2022, 18:04     #17
fixed_truth

Based on allegations made on a random twitter account?

There was an article about a week ago which says conflicts of interests were managed.

Quote:
A spokesperson for Nanaia Mahuta said "the Minister has had no involvement in the appointment of family members.
Can't read the whole article though.
Old 7th June 2022, 18:33     #18
Lightspeed

Incompetence is a politician's prerogative. I'd need to see robust evidence of corruption to believe it, especially when aimed at an indigenous person.
Old 8th June 2022, 07:29     #19
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Even if by accident, he's likely still right. People have no idea the volume of incest that exists in New Zealand. It's one reason why National reducing benefits to mothers who didn't list the father of their children was so cruel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
You'd think that Nanaia Mahuta's incompetence and corruption would be receiving wall-to-wall coverage in the nation's news papers and TV channels, wouldn't you? The Labour Govt must consider the Public Interest Journalism Fund to be money well spent.
Funny story linking these two... Isn't one of the cousins mentioned her husband?

I thought David Seymour's question that got shot down had validity - surely even if the appointments were on merit, there are optics to consider.
Old 8th June 2022, 09:51     #20
fixed_truth

Seymour doesn't mind if her husband is her cousin, or brother. Or maybe that was his predecessor
Old 8th June 2022, 10:22     #21
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
I thought David Seymour's question that got shot down had validity - surely even if the appointments were on merit, there are optics to consider.
It's complex right. The lens through which the general public view these things and the lens of those with even a modest understanding of NZ's history, the events that led to current circumstances, can be quite different.

There does need to be some balance, but I don't think it's right always kowtowing to public ignorance.
Old 8th June 2022, 10:42     #22
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Concerned about China's growing influence in the Pacific, during the past ten days Australia's Foreign Affairs minister has been to Japan, Tonga, Samoa, Fiji, and is presently in Indonesia speaking on Australian policy in Indonesian. Those are her first ten days in the job.

I think Mahuta didn't leave the country until she'd been Foreign Affairs minister for over a year.

Quote:
​Mahuta’s appointment as foreign minister after the Labour Party won the October 2020 election was a surprise to many. She has no experience in foreign policy
Old 8th June 2022, 11:07     #23
Lightspeed

I can see it now, she immediately travels the world as soon as she has the opportunity, gets called out for wasting tax payers money on a world trip.

You got anything better?
Old 8th June 2022, 12:09     #24
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-p...an-2022-05-28/

China signing a partnership with Samoa, and NZ Foreign Affairs not seeing it coming? Who's the minister again?
Old 8th June 2022, 14:06     #25
fixed_truth

I haven't been following this but is the argument that NZ should be out there stopping sovereign nations from making agreements with each other?
Old 9th June 2022, 10:16     #26
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Nothing to see here

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...5DVLM6IHWFT5E/
Old 9th June 2022, 11:54     #27
Lightspeed

Say more? Cause I'm not clicking an NZH link.
Old 9th June 2022, 12:08     #28
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:

Cabinet minister Nanaia Mahuta's husband's firm received second government payment of $28,000

A consulting firm belonging solely to the husband of Labour Minister Nanaia Mahuta, (William) Gannin Ormsby, was awarded a grant of $28,300 by the Ministry of Māori Development in a period when Mahuta was the Minister of Māori Development

Old 9th June 2022, 12:24     #29
Lightspeed

Question

And? It was hidden? The company isn't real? What's the problem here?
Old 9th June 2022, 13:01     #30
StN
I have detailed files

Optics

Quote:
And? It was hidden? The company isn't real? What's the problem here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section 3.62 of the Cabinet Manual 2017 (bottom of page 51)
Employees in the state sector, including staff in Ministers’ offices, should ensure that their personal interests or activities do not interfere with, or appear to interfere with, their obligation to serve the aims and objectives of their employer. They must seek to avoid situations where there could be a conflict, or the appearance of a conflict, between their personal interests and the interests of their employers.
Old 9th June 2022, 13:10     #31
Lightspeed

So it's not an actual problem, but it could be made out to be one?

The Mahuta family have to make a choice. They can't both be running community organisations AND be involved in politics?

And this isn't a problem because NZ is flush with indigenous families who find themselves with functioning community organisations that aren't gangs? It's definitely appropriate to call out a payment of $30k, not enough for even half a modestly paid employee's salary for a year.
Old 9th June 2022, 13:17     #32
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

ORAVIDAGHAZI
Old 9th June 2022, 13:24     #33
xor

Quote:
So it's not an actual problem, but it could be made out to be one?
That would very much depend on how procurement was performed. Was there a tender process? Were multiple organizations invited to bid for the contract work?
Old 9th June 2022, 14:32     #34
Lightspeed

And is that in question?

I immediately wonder how many such organisations exist? Where would they be getting their funding from in the first place?
Old 9th June 2022, 15:32     #35
xor

Yep. You're required to declare any potential conflicts during the procurement process, tender process, Request for proposal (RFP), etc.
Old 9th June 2022, 15:52     #36
Lightspeed

Based on what evidence is this in question?
Old 9th June 2022, 17:05     #37
fixed_truth

A guy tweeted about it.

Mahuta attack fails to prove link
Quote:
Mr Tamihere says the framing seemed to be that if Māori were involved something must be wrong while ignoring the far more extensive connections between wealthy pakeha families and professionals with the government.

“It’s got fix its game up and it’s got to get more integrity and credibility and start calling out its own white folk for conflicts of interest and corruption rather than focusing on just Māori because there’s no evidence Nanaia had any connectivity to any of those decisions. It was just a dirty little allegation,” he says.
Old 9th June 2022, 17:14     #38
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
School boards are the worst. Petty fiefdoms populated by psychopaths who can't actually achieve anything in the world.
Can confirm. You haven't lived until you've been on a school board with an Alpha Facebook Mum trying to empire build.
Old 10th June 2022, 13:21     #39
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
That would very much depend on how procurement was performed. Was there a tender process? Were multiple organizations invited to bid for the contract work?
I'd also ask: this organisation of which Mahuta's husband is the sole shareholder, what is its expertise in the area of suicide prevention? What are the qualifications and professional histories of its staff? WHO are its staff?

There are existing Maori suicide prevention orgs; why was this one chosen over those?
Old 10th June 2022, 13:31     #40
Lightspeed

Is $30k the full budget allocation? This one organisation got it all, the rest are left wanting? I suppose that is plausible. Money for mental health? What a waste, amirite?