Old 1st February 2010, 20:03     #41
chubby

E6850/9800gtx/4 gigs
1920-1080 med.
seems to run sweetas.
Old 2nd February 2010, 20:29     #42
Axident

Keep getting CTDs since doing an update on it

Also, being able to singlehandedly destroy an objective in about 3 seconds is a bit unbalanced
Old 3rd February 2010, 16:42     #43
RedeviL

I've seen the objectives get destroyed like that - but haven't worked out how other than C4.

When theres 3 people who are good, doing that - the round gets done quickly.

Other than that, I'm enjoying it, would like to see more than the one mission in the beta.
Old 3rd February 2010, 16:48     #44
Ashley
Fuck up Ashley

Sniping feels really unbalanced. I'm sick of the constant shaking in the game, everything you do, it shakes. I know its supposed to be 'real' but its fucking annoying.
Old 3rd February 2010, 22:36     #45
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley
Sniping feels really unbalanced. I'm sick of the constant shaking in the game, everything you do, it shakes. I know its supposed to be 'real' but its fucking annoying.
There's two different kinds of shakes when sniping I've found. There's the usual smooth 'human accuracy' bobbing, but then there's also sudden jerking when scoped, which is insanely frustrating, and from what I can tell, is lag induced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedeviL
I've seen the objectives get destroyed like that - but haven't worked out how other than C4.

When theres 3 people who are good, doing that - the round gets done quickly.

Other than that, I'm enjoying it, would like to see more than the one mission in the beta.
Recon gets the ability to call in an artillery strike as an unlock, and that can damage the objectives pretty well

Last edited by Cyberbob : 3rd February 2010 at 22:38.
Old 3rd February 2010, 23:01     #46
Redneck

I think he means the screen jolt whenever a round hits nearby - presumably the point is to make suppressing fire more useful.

Some of the objectives sit in destructible buildings, so if the building comes down the objective goes as well. A tank can destroy a single storey building pretty quickly; I took out a two storey objective building using the UAV's hellfires. Killed three people, very satisfying
Old 4th February 2010, 01:16     #47
creamcheese

took me more rounds than I'd like to admit that my nades to kill people arming the objectives actually destroyed the objective for them

Old 4th February 2010, 07:56     #48
Ashley
Fuck up Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
There's two different kinds of shakes when sniping I've found. There's the usual smooth 'human accuracy' bobbing, but then there's also sudden jerking when scoped, which is insanely frustrating, and from what I can tell, is lag induced.
Yea thats it. The lag is killing me, literally.

Redneck - the jolt from an explosive of some sort, a good 500 yards away is really annoying. Realistic yes, but GAH.

How do you fire the UAV hellfires? I couldn't get them to work.
Old 4th February 2010, 13:42     #49
FireStorm
Holmium

Quote:
Yea thats it. The lag is killing me, literally.

Redneck - the jolt from an explosive of some sort, a good 500 yards away is really annoying. Realistic yes, but GAH.

How do you fire the UAV hellfires? I couldn't get them to work.
I've read that it's a rank thing, you need to unlock it?
Old 4th February 2010, 14:00     #50
Redneck

Hold fire and keep the crosshair dead on target - the missile doesnt actually come from the uav itself. Takes bout 3 secs for it to hit the target. Reload is a good 15 secs or so.
Old 4th February 2010, 14:11     #51
Gentl e

What are your thoughts on the game redneck, enjoying it?
Old 4th February 2010, 14:33     #52
Axident

The weapons and gadget descriptions give a bit away. They say the UAV can be fitted with 50cal MGs. Also, the top medic upgrade mentions prone - since removed since three possible states of being caused existential problems for simplistic console users
Old 4th February 2010, 15:01     #53
Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentl e
What are your thoughts on the game redneck, enjoying it?
Oh i dunno, it's actually a little bit.... FUCKING AWESOME
Old 4th February 2010, 15:45     #54
JAYJAY

Hey BF buddies! I managed to get a hold of key. Started playing... CTD... found settings... removed bloom. Started playing again for realsies.

Feel free to add me. Changed name from wtf.JAYJAY / JAYJAY to Mister_JJ - be good to see some of the old... i mean "experienced" players from times past.

Initial thoughts.

Its a fairly decent beta as far as the gameplay aspect is concerned. The game server browser is shit. Friends took significant time to appear after being added / accepted.

Unlocked a couple of weapons as assault class.

PC is a E8400 @3Gig with 4GB Memory with a Gigabyte 8800GTS-320

I've got it set to 1440x900 (or thereabouts currently and its running ok). It is running significantly better since getting rid of that bloom setting (which did my eyes no favours)

Someone with BF or FPS experience should be able to pick this up and run with it.
Old 4th February 2010, 15:49     #55
badlieutenant

is there a way to have one mouse sens for infantry and another for aircraft ? feels laggy flying choppers or trying to aim with tanks.
I also hate the shaking camera thing, wooo real. If it was real I would also see my limbs flying off when greades hurt me. If i want real Ill go play arma2
was totally going to get this game.
just not sure now........
will see how beta goes.
Old 4th February 2010, 18:25     #56
JAYJAY

Is losing the connection to the server a regular event for anyone else?

TBH... could be me. On BigTime currently and do from time to time have connectivity issues to TF2 servers where i'd start a game and timeout immediately.

Anyone? Connection issues?
Old 4th February 2010, 20:15     #57
Axident

I had connection dropping a lot. Upgraded my Nvidia drivers to the latest version and it stopped.

Also, with vechicle lag, try removing the foot pedal controls from the ini file. If you aren't using them. I've heard that helps.
Old 4th February 2010, 21:14     #58
JAYJAY

Interesting. Mine is completely unpredictable. I have updated my drivers. Bumped the resolution up too. I can confirm a E8400 with 4GB RAM and a 8800GTS runs the game at 1920x1080 (on low detail) relatively smoothly.

I cbf sending feedback. Some email system... bah! let me click a link in game to tell them about their shitty game server manager and favourites. Oh, and those goddamn knives. I've lost count of how many times I've been cut.
Old 4th February 2010, 21:37     #59
badlieutenant

yerp, in game dosconnects from server. game crahes from in-game and when browsing or just at when alt-tabbing.

my system is fresh, rebuilt today. Latest stable drivers for everything. Windows 7
Old 5th February 2010, 11:50     #60
Axident

My CTDs were quite predictable. They always happened when I was bailing out of a vehicle which then exploded. Boom. CTD. Every time. Fixed with graphics drivers update. Disconnects were less predictable, but they have lessened as well.

Also, I'd never alt-tab from a game in this condition. That's just asking for trouble.
Old 5th February 2010, 12:16     #61
JAYJAY

Ahh on that ALT-TAB. Using Digsby (IM app) is a big no-no while running this game. It sends it into window mode and more often than not causes a CTD.
Old 5th February 2010, 21:33     #62
Axident

Also, it looks like scoring is primarily objective based. You get _very_ little for kills. If you want to get points for leveling, play properly. Heal people. GIVE AMMO (that's for you assault clownboats that I have to chase after for 5 minutes shooting and spamming q at until you finally fork some over - an engineering reloading 6 mines will give you over a hundred points). Go for objectives. Spot targets. Give orders and carry them out. Repair vehicles. It all gives you a LOT more points than just kills.
Old 8th February 2010, 14:21     #63
Ashley
Fuck up Ashley

Killing someone is hard enough, I can empty an AK clip into someones chest at point blank and they don't fucking die!!!

Not to mention as sniper, with the M9, 5 visible hits to the chest and head at about 10ft and he lives, what the fuck?

Or how about a M203 exploding 2ft behind someone. They don't die or get blown up.
Old 8th February 2010, 14:29     #64
Ashley
Fuck up Ashley

God its slow as well, just the general movements and speed you run at is slow.
Old 8th February 2010, 14:37     #65
Gentl e

With the M9, aim for the head, if you're firing 5 hits to a protected chest with a 9mm pistol, then yeah, you're not going to kill them.

There's a whole host of sub-genre games that deal with realsim - here's a good one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Flashpoint_2

On another note, looks like the single player campaign has a WW2 section in it Kotaku
Old 8th February 2010, 14:45     #66
Ashley
Fuck up Ashley

more moaning. Why can't you switch between positions in a vehicle?

Yeah, I've been playing opflash with a bunch of aussie for yeeeeeeeeeeaaaaars.

My point is, 5 shots with an M9 is going to stun the fuck outta someone, they won't be getting off the ground immediately and if they are aiming for realism in this then they need to incorporate the fact that body armour is not a forcefield. Its a piece of metal covering your chest and it hurts like fuckery, and puts you on your ass when shot.

Last edited by Ashley : 8th February 2010 at 14:48.
Old 8th February 2010, 14:51     #67
Gentl e

Eh? I'm pretty sure you can switch positi.. oh you mean betweenpositions. IMO it's because this game was created with consoles in mind and the lack of buttons to map too restricts options like this.

What are the button mappings like on the pc version - iirc BF1942 etc had whole ton of different options in this respect?
Old 8th February 2010, 14:54     #68
Ashley
Fuck up Ashley

I don't see what the problem is, once in a vehicle you can't switch between positions like main gunner to driver etc. BF2, 1942 etc when you get into a vehicle your button map changes and the numeric keys become the positions within the vehicle.

While inside a vehicle you are limited to about 5 keys that you can actually use anyway.
Old 8th February 2010, 14:54     #69
Gentl e

. edit you have. I see your point though.

Last edited by Gentl e : 8th February 2010 at 14:55.
Old 8th February 2010, 15:14     #70
Redneck

Quote:
My point is, 5 shots with an M9 is going to stun the fuck outta someone, they won't be getting off the ground immediately and if they are aiming for realism in this then they need to incorporate the fact that body armour is not a forcefield. Its a piece of metal covering your chest and it hurts like fuckery, and puts you on your ass when shot.
This is how Battlefield has always worked, although I'm probably still getting pistol kills easier in this than in earlier titles.

You must never assume they are aiming for realism in BF
Old 8th February 2010, 15:35     #71
Ashley
Fuck up Ashley

Haha I know, its just so different to BF2 for example.
Old 8th February 2010, 17:43     #72
Axident

It's still beta and there are glitches in the weapons. Some other forums have talked about hit detection issues on a lot of guns and how there are only a couple that work properly. It's sort of a roll of the dice every time you shoot someone.

Dice are probably tracking stats on these games - seeing who killed who where and with what. So expect to see weapon balance completely screwed up the other way when the game's released.
Old 8th February 2010, 18:52     #73
badlieutenant

Quote:
more moaning. Why can't you switch between positions in a vehicle?
umm maybe im not getting this, but I thought you could switch positions within a vehicle ?
im pretty sure thats what i was doing last night to shoot down the chopper in the mobile AA. Drive, grenade mortar some peps then get ready to be somewhere the copper isnt looking when he returns. F1,F2 etc are the binds by default i think.
Old 8th February 2010, 19:15     #74
Ashley
Fuck up Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axident
It's still beta and there are glitches in the weapons. Some other forums have talked about hit detection issues on a lot of guns and how there are only a couple that work properly. It's sort of a roll of the dice every time you shoot someone.

Dice are probably tracking stats on these games - seeing who killed who where and with what. So expect to see weapon balance completely screwed up the other way when the game's released.
That explains it!

BL - hmm maybe mine aren't set for some reason. I'll check.

Does anybody get a bit of.....lag at the start when you try and sprint? Mine is really chuggy for the first 100m then its nice and smooth. Strange.

Jumped through the ranks in 2 games tonight, just dropping tonnes of med packs all over and reviving people. I've also got a few keys that just aren't responding, such as space for jump, j for chat and k/l for squad chat.
Old 8th February 2010, 22:47     #75
badlieutenant

good servers seem to be getting harder to find. Had some good solid games in the weekend with teams where both sides were strong and team work evident.
Tonight all I can find are servers full of newbs, which I dont mind but if you cant fly a chopper find a empty server to practice on. Oh and mobile AA is not a forward advance weapon for heavily defended bases with high ranking players........sigh :/
oh and the servers full of angry dudes :/
I really hope either EA do what they never could before and create a good in game browser or xfire or something else does work with it. Friend invites are delivered sometimes, if ever and I have yet to see anyone from the friends list online.
So apart from that the game works for me, mostly, so far but feels like BF2 not bf1942 which I prefered, or even bf.v where the choppers ruled it is a beta soooooo
Old 8th February 2010, 23:00     #76
Axident

Has anyone heard anyone using voice comms ingame recently? I used to hear the odd voice, but nothing for ages now. I was wondering if it's actually working or if people are just using vent.

And there does seem to be an infestation of noobs. Hordes of level 1 players who can't even tag tanks or choppers. And they still don't drop ammo, and that's really annoying when you're an engy trying to lay mines to defend a base
Old 8th February 2010, 23:23     #77
badlieutenant

Quote:
Has anyone heard anyone using voice comms ingame recently? I used to hear the odd voice, but nothing for ages now.
lol, yer once, some guy screaming " Fuk OFF ya fuking HOMO!!" and thats been it. Freaked me out it was just soo random
Old 22nd February 2010, 14:42     #78
dylan
Huh?

Quote:
Has anyone heard anyone using voice comms ingame recently? I used to hear the odd voice, but nothing for ages now. I was wondering if it's actually working or if people are just using vent.

And there does seem to be an infestation of noobs. Hordes of level 1 players who can't even tag tanks or choppers. And they still don't drop ammo, and that's really annoying when you're an engy trying to lay mines to defend a base
/me puts hand up

I *assume* I'm level 1, I've played for about 20 minutes?

Tag tanks or choppers, I didn't even know there was a class that came with spray paint?

Everyone's gotta start somewhere, jeeze the game isn't even out yet, try helping people instead :P
Old 22nd February 2010, 19:53     #79
dylan
Huh?

btw does anyone have a beta key they're not using? my gf wants to play.

she is hot if that helps
Old 23rd February 2010, 13:50     #80
orpheus
Jedi Knight

P1C5-012N0-B374-K33Y-4U