NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Technology & Troubleshooting
User Name
Password

Old 29th August 2014, 01:01     #401
_indigo1

I've been playing Elite on my DK2.
It's pretty damn cool - especially being able to look left/right and up through the surrounding cockpit windows to track a target whilst circling, instead of having to switch to radar (or lidar?)

Flying in formation with other players/AI is damn awesome, and flying around things like asteroids really gives you a feeling of scale and the 3D effect.

Resolution is still a problem for long playtimes, but unlike the DK1, is tolerable for a good while.

The shimmering is the most distracting. Turning on decent AA helps a little, but this creates it's own set of issues (makes my eyes want to try harder to focus out the blur)

Elite is still on older SDK, so can't use direct HMD mode yet. Will be good when they get that sorted.

Then there's the whole, 'A million keybinds, but I can't see my keyboard' thing - which isn't an issue if you use VoiceAttack

I also found the vibrance/saturation of the display to be quite high - too high. I think this might be an elite thing though - but could be drivers too - as the SDK uses saturation to indicate whether you have positional lock with the camera or not.
Easily fixed using digital vibrance controls in NV control panel though.

Last edited by _indigo1 : 29th August 2014 at 01:06.
Old 29th August 2014, 12:45     #402
Jodi

Oh and another thing, don't forget to rotate the occulus from portrait to landscape in the display settings.

there is apparently some place that rents out tech toys in Ak, the hydra included. It's $30-$40 for a weekend plus security deposit.

I may rent it for the weekend I have the occulus off Ju.
Old 29th August 2014, 13:13     #403
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Thanks!

I want to try Elite Dangerous most of all.

I never really saw the appeal of the Tuscany demo. Let me know if you find anything good. I shall continue to wait.

Have you managed to get hold of a razer hydra?
Oh sweet jesus I think I just came in my pants
Old 29th August 2014, 19:07     #404
_indigo1

Also for those that didn't realise, if you don't have a hydra you can still see the effect if you watch the YouTube videos of it with your oculus
(The HLVR one)
Old 23rd September 2014, 00:29     #405
[BT]Monza

Hands on with Crescent Bay prototype
Old 25th September 2014, 09:22     #406
_indigo1

Only thing I'm interested in is more pixels.
Old 25th September 2014, 14:16     #407
curses

I like the idea of the unit being integrated with the sound. For the same reason that standardised hardware is where consoles excel.
Old 25th September 2014, 23:06     #408
TB

Cant wait for the consumer version so I can wait ages more for the 2nd gen version.
Old 25th September 2014, 23:39     #409
Lightspeed

Got the email about half an hour ago. Not too long now!

Was it on that Crescent Bay vid where someone was talking about Carmack simulating 120hz refresh with 60hz or something? Damn guy, cooking up all sorts. I think he's working on Samsung stuff rather than the main product mostly though.
Old 26th September 2014, 10:41     #410
Jodi

Did you watch this rambling video for occulus?

He's doing freaky shit like chasing the raster, and interlacing experiments to name a few. It's a good listen.
Old 26th September 2014, 10:46     #411
Lightspeed

That guy's in heaven right now, for sure. I love his tweets.
Old 27th September 2014, 10:18     #412
_indigo1

That video demonstrates why Android (and its philosophy) craps all over iOS.
To be able to get the Android source and hack on the low level code to get a proof of concept to prooves to the hardware vendors it can work and its not crazy after all - that's cool.

I wish I had a job like his where I could do what I do with passion instead of what some penpusher sales/marketing flake incorrectly thinks will be the next big thing for a quick short term buck.

Sounds like he's living the dream.

Last edited by _indigo1 : 27th September 2014 at 10:19.
Old 6th October 2014, 12:51     #413
Lightspeed

Woo, Dk2 just arrived. No hassles with customs either, it just showed up. So that's lucky!

But power is off at home, lolz.
Old 6th October 2014, 13:53     #414
_indigo1

I was excited too - but IMO the res is still too low to be playable, which is disappointing.
Old 7th October 2014, 12:52     #415
Noodles
Wireless Slacker

Quote:
Woo, Dk2 just arrived. No hassles with customs either, it just showed up. So that's lucky!

But power is off at home, lolz.
We have power on the shore if you need somewhere to test it
Old 7th October 2014, 14:55     #416
Lightspeed

Hahah, cheers. Power is on now, although it looked pretty sad last night all set up with no power.
Old 7th October 2014, 16:12     #417
StN
I have detailed files

Lightspeed - tripping the rift like an old school Darth Bobo now that the power is back on.
Old 7th October 2014, 22:17     #418
chiQ
Frag-muff

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Lightspeed - tripping the rift like an old school Darth Bobo now that the power is back on.
That takes me back.
Old 8th October 2014, 10:43     #419
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Ah, I miss that show.

Alas, I haven't been able to give it much of a go yet, catching up on UFC with the flatmates last night now that the power is back. Probably give it another short go tonight, hopefully get minecraft set up. Elite Dangerous for the weekend.

The set up is good though, happy to leave it all plugged in and lying around. The DK1's control box made things too clunky.
Old 10th October 2014, 09:40     #420
_indigo1

Alien: Isolation has Oculus support (have to turn on via INI file)

Old 12th October 2014, 10:31     #421
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Oculus + Kinect will be epic. Having your own hands/body inside the VR is the next step.
Old 30th October 2014, 10:10     #422
Noodles
Wireless Slacker

Has anyone tried the Zero Point documentary on Oculus yet?
Old 8th November 2014, 16:12     #423
Lightspeed

I haven't managed to get much running yet - there's something in the video setup that's messing with things and I've been too lazy to dig into it, I'm burnt out of digging into tech by the time I get home atm.

I really need to get it running though, particularly considered the cash I ponied up for Elite: Dangerous as well.
Ars Tech: The Oculus Rift makes Elite: Dangerous amazing—and impossible to describe
Old 10th November 2014, 16:19     #424
Jodi

I found it hard to read the text in E but that was before the latest SDK update.

If you really want the game to be cool, get a joystick.
Old 12th November 2014, 21:27     #425
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

What's the best movie viewer for OSX? So far I've tried LiveViewRift which I guess works but is there something better?
Old 17th November 2014, 17:48     #426
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodi
I found it hard to read the text in E:D but that was before the latest SDK update.

If you really want the game to be cool, get a joystick.
Had a go with this using my old MS Force Feedback 2. It's excellent fun, I've got a judder issue though. Found a bunch of troubleshooting tips, no doubt I'll find a solution.

Guess that's what you get with pre-release versions!
Old 12th December 2014, 12:36     #427
Lightspeed

Well it looks like it's clear of what Oculus has in mind for input:
Oculus acquires Nimble Sense
Old 12th December 2014, 13:28     #428
Dazza

Still has latency issues, but it's good that Oculus standardises the experience.

Alot of those kickstarter backers seemed pissed though, they really should have made it more public what they were doing and given them a kick back for backing them
Old 16th December 2014, 19:25     #429
ceer

There is a new game coming out for the VR called "Vox Machinae"

Those with an OR had a go at this yet? ...apparently quite a bit of a Mech Warrior vibe going on.
Old 16th December 2014, 19:37     #430
Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceer
There is a new game coming out for the VR called "Vox Machinae"

Those with an OR had a go at this yet? ...apparently quite a bit of a Mech Warrior vibe going on.
Yeah definitely a MW vibe going on there.
Vox Machinae
Old 2nd March 2015, 15:19     #431
pxpx

Valve & HTC have a go:
http://www.pcgamer.com/valves-vr-hea...are-making-it/
http://www.htcvr.com/

Last edited by pxpx : 2nd March 2015 at 15:21.
Old 7th May 2015, 12:42     #432
[BT]Monza

Quote:
Since the earliest days of the Oculus Kickstarter, the Rift has been shaped by gamers, backers, developers, and enthusiasts around the world. Today, we’re incredibly excited to announce that the Oculus Rift will be shipping to consumers in Q1 2016, with pre-orders later this year.

The Rift delivers on the dream of consumer VR with compelling content, a full ecosystem, and a fully-integrated hardware/software tech stack designed specifically for virtual reality. It’s a system designed by a team of extremely passionate gamers, developers, and engineers to reimagine what gaming can be.

The Oculus Rift builds on the presence, immersion, and comfort of the Crescent Bay prototype with an improved tracking system that supports both seated and standing experiences, as well as a highly refined industrial design, and updated ergonomics for a more natural fit.

In the weeks ahead, we’ll be revealing the details around hardware, software, input, and many of our unannounced made-for-VR games and experiences coming to the Rift. Next week, we’ll share more of the technical specifications here on the Oculus blog.

Virtual reality is going to transform gaming, film, entertainment, communication, and much more. If you’re interested in building a next-generation VR game or application, everything you need to start developing for the Rift is available at the Oculus Developer Center.

E3 is just around the corner — this is only the beginning.
Old 7th May 2015, 13:17     #433
Lightspeed

Exciting!

Carmack was fantastic as always presenting at UT Dallas the other week:
https://vimeo.com/126275510

He mostly focuses on mobile VR - basically he thinks the predominant uptake of VR will be with mobile devices, and a non-tethered experience is much more compelling.

Interestingly he believes that for a 100% comfortable VR experience there must be no acceleration in world. Meaning no running/racing/flying about in an environment. The viewer must be either completely stationary or moving at a constant rate in a straight line.

He makes the point that there is still scope for experiences that involve acceleration, but they'll be a relatively niche market.

And then there's the potential for implementations like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cML814JD09g
Old 13th May 2015, 07:50     #434
Noodles
Wireless Slacker

It will be interesting to see how the consumer rift stacks up against the new comers in the market.
Old 15th May 2015, 15:39     #435
Jodi

Quote:
Exciting!
Interestingly he believes that for a 100% comfortable VR experience there must be no acceleration in world. Meaning no running/racing/flying about in an environment. The viewer must be either completely stationary or moving at a constant rate in a straight line.[/url]
I've been arguing that as well. As soon as your avatar is moving when you are not, then you get sick. Guaranteed.
Old 21st June 2015, 11:37     #436
[BT]Monza

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asduqdRizqs

Think I'm sold, someone take my money
Old 21st June 2015, 13:43     #437
Lightspeed

Thumbs up

Next PC upgrade coming Q1 2016.
Old 21st June 2015, 14:02     #438
Caesar

See I'm torn about this now, the Valve VR is coming Nov/Dec this year, and you know that ain't gonner be shit.
Also I think there might be a heck of a waiting list for these when they are released.
Old 21st June 2015, 16:21     #439
TB

My moneys with Valve at the moment. They've demonstrated they have the best tracking tech, you're not stuck to a sitting position like the rift, and they're opening up their tech for others to use. The Occulus is better than I expected specs and weight wise, but the whole sitting thing just doesnt make sense anymore. Both headsets need to improve in terms of FOV but hey, for first gen VR tech, they're both damn good.
Old 22nd June 2015, 13:29     #440
Lightspeed

You're not stuck sitting with the Rift.

The more out there working on a quality product is only a good thing. Here's an interesting article on Sony working with Oculus:
http://www.polygon.com/e3-2015/2015/...irtual-reality