chiquelet
Mrs Colin Farrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
Dairy Dale, huh?
Ah so you too have cottoned on to cheaper petrol station milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Teapot
Very few people have to have milk. Many people choose to have milk and thus they choose to pay what is asked for it.
What about preschoolers? Kids are supposed to switch to cow's milk when they turn 1, and iirc they're meant to drink about 500mls per day? If you've got a couple of preschoolers then your famlily is going through a lot of milk on a weekly basis. And young families can probably least afford the cost of milk. It's somewhat of a catch 22 - Plunket tells you that your kid is supposed to drink so much milk per day, but milk is expensive. Does powdered milk actually have the same nutritional benefit as fresh milk?
Old 6th August 2011, 13:37     #42
CCS
Stunt Pants

I was raised on the dairy.
Old 6th August 2011, 17:13     #43
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Well most people can use breasts to feed a kid.
Old 6th August 2011, 18:10     #44
chiquelet
Mrs Colin Farrell

Most people aren't still breast feeding a 12 month old, though.
Old 6th August 2011, 18:20     #45
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

There's two ways of looking at this though:

1. There's no particular reason a one year old can't be feeding from the breast, and;
2. Kids aren't cheap and the cost of raising them needs to be thought about before they're brought forth.

Perhaps we'll see a return of the community cow? They have a lot going for them: lawns clipped, fertaliser , meat for the freezer, and milk for the kiddies.

But milk in fact is not overly expensive.
Old 6th August 2011, 20:18     #46
Cynos

Quote:
That starts getting creepy past 2. Four year olds screaming "Titty Mum!" while lifting their mother's shirts? Mentally scarring.
Old 6th August 2011, 20:32     #47
cEvin
Love In Vein

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
I buy milk powder which works out to about $1 a litre. Can't say it's expensive eh.
/thread
Old 6th August 2011, 20:42     #48
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynos
That starts getting creepy past 2. Four year olds screaming "Titty Mum!" while lifting their mother's shirts? Mentally scarring.
That's just social conditioning. The tit is fine until say age 5 after which it's not really needed anymore.
Old 6th August 2011, 23:30     #49
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
you need to get some life skills
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15720339...-feeding-baby/ is quite the norm, amongst others that have appeared in nz media for breast feeding in various public places. not to mention the comments others have posted above, not all women can continue to breast feed.

but in other news (and taking the piss at your post ...) http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...lactate&sc=rss

Last edited by MadMax : 6th August 2011 at 23:31.
Old 6th August 2011, 23:39     #50
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiquelet
Does powdered milk actually have the same nutritional benefit as fresh milk?
http://anchor.co.nz/products/

anchor blue:
Energy (kJ) 260
Energy (cal) 62
Protein (g) 3.2
Fat - Total (g) 3.3
Fat - Saturated (g) 2.2
Carbohydrate - Total (g) 4.9
Carbohydrate - Sugars (g) 4.9
Sodium (mg) 43
Calcium (mg) 116

blue powder:
Energy (kJ) 262
Energy (cal) 63
Protein (g) 3.4
Fat - Total (g) 3.4
Fat - Saturated (g) 2.4
Carbohydrate - Total (g) 4.6
Carbohydrate - Sugars (g) 4.6
Sodium (mg) 42
Calcium (mg) 120

take from that what you like, but i'm sure as far as nutrition is concerned, they're on par. milk is only recommended because it's an easy source of calcium, and better than drinking fizzy drinks

also,
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
... and why on earth do some people pay almost double the cost for exactly the same milk with a different package?
does noone have an answer for that? i mean compare the price between non-boosted versions of anchor milk and the budget brand of milk.

Last edited by MadMax : 6th August 2011 at 23:41.
Old 7th August 2011, 00:02     #51
cEvin
Love In Vein

Quote:
... and why on earth do some people pay almost double the cost for exactly the same milk with a different package?
just obvious things imo.
advertising, shelf placement, brand recognition, assumption that cheaper = lower quality, not understanding how to read a nutritional label.

people pay higher price for any product they recognise without thinking it through.

Last edited by cEvin : 7th August 2011 at 00:04.
Old 7th August 2011, 00:09     #52
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Quote:
not all women can continue to breast feed.
The vast majority could - the situation today is that women don't want to. In bygone days wet-nurses were used for those who couldn't or wouldn't.

Many of those who physically can't made lifestyle choices that made this so.

Today we have people complaining about milk prices despite there being alternatives including mix-your-own at giveaway prices. This is too silly to believe really.

Hell band together with some others in the community and buy a cow - they start as low as $60 on TradeMe.

Although actually is anyone actually complaining or is this the usual media nonsense that will blow past when a real story comes along?
Old 7th August 2011, 01:33     #53
MadMax
Stuff

^ all media is nonsense, but this has been something of an ongoing saga

also: http://www.consumer.org.nz/reports/d...versus-branded
sux to be buying from a progressive supermarket which doesn't stock the Budget brand. what's more amusing is how foodies provide the budget + pams milk side by side
Old 7th August 2011, 11:01     #54
Spink

How does milk powder go in tea/coffee? Do you need to mix up the milk first as a big batch or can you just drop it in the hot water and be good to go?
Old 7th August 2011, 12:09     #55
StN
I have detailed files

Ever used one of these?

Old 7th August 2011, 12:17     #56
Spink

I don't drink tea or coffee, more asking in order to convert someone who complains about the price of milk but only uses it for tea and coffee.
Old 8th August 2011, 20:18     #57
Cynos

Quote:
That's just social conditioning. The tit is fine until say age 5 after which it's not really needed anymore.
So, to summarise, your answr to the price of milk is to breastfeed until the age of 5?

...can you play the banjo while saying this? It lends an air of authenticity.
Old 8th August 2011, 20:25     #58
xor

He wasn't being literal you ignorant twat.
Old 8th August 2011, 21:02     #59
ilk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Yeah I'd like an ilk ricing strobe.
Look I may drive a prelude but it's in shit condition and completely un-riced. Call off your hounds.
Old 9th August 2011, 09:02     #60
^BITES^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spink
I don't drink tea or coffee, more asking in order to convert someone who complains about the price of milk but only uses it for tea and coffee.
Not good on the taste front ... which is a biggie for me. Would almost prefer black.

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 9th August 2011, 09:18     #61
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynos
So, to summarise, your answr to the price of milk is to breastfeed until the age of 5?
This is not a summary of my post though is it?

For my part I don't think there particulalry is an issue with the price of milk. Milk seems very reasonable compared to the price of other things. Perhaps prices are too high in aggregate or perhaps some incomes are getting left behind (if so then likely because those earning them did not adequately avail themselves of the free education available to them as kids).
Old 9th August 2011, 09:20     #62
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

I have a relative that uses powdered milk for guests. They're quite wealthy and don't drink milk themselves. So, it's milk powder or nothing. I've never seen anyone refuse so it can't be that bad (I don't know myself since I don't take milk in drinks).
Old 9th August 2011, 09:25     #63
^BITES^

Quote:
I have a relative that uses powdered milk for guests. They're quite wealthy and don't drink milk themselves. So, it's milk powder or nothing. I've never seen anyone refuse so it can't be that bad (I don't know myself since I don't take milk in drinks).
Horses for courses ... tastes like shit to me, but so do most non-anchor milks (one of the brands in the central north island tastes so bad its close to gag material but cant recall what brand ...)

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 9th August 2011, 09:50     #64
cEvin
Love In Vein

you realise most brands come from the same processing plant & batch though right?
Old 9th August 2011, 10:05     #65
^BITES^

Quote:
Originally Posted by cEvin
you realise most brands come from the same processing plant & batch though right?
Yerp heard that a number of times, but still tastes different, budget versus Anchor have completely different after tastes, esp in my coffee .

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 9th August 2011, 10:12     #66
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Just like you can tell the difference between mp3 and FLAC, especially in your car?
Old 9th August 2011, 10:40     #67
wugambino
Electric Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^BITES^
Yerp heard that a number of times, but still tastes different, budget versus Anchor have completely different after tastes, esp in my coffee .
I spent a few years working for a manufacturing company and using chips and bread as an example there was no difference between our normal run and that we did for signature range. It actually costs more to re-setup the production line to run a difference recipe.
Old 9th August 2011, 10:51     #68
StN
I have detailed files

The exception to the rule being the freezing works killing chain for Macca's Angus burgers.
Old 9th August 2011, 11:08     #69
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cEvin
The exception I guess would be the "yellow" varieties, since they seem to claim different additives/vitamins by brand? Can definitely tell the diference between anchor yellow and the "calci-smart" stuff from pak&save or new world, the blue stuff not so much.

Not even sure why I buy yellow in the first place though, habit I picked up from my parents probably.
Old 9th August 2011, 12:33     #70
^BITES^

Quote:
Originally Posted by wugambino
I spent a few years working for a manufacturing company and using chips and bread as an example there was no difference between our normal run and that we did for signature range. It actually costs more to re-setup the production line to run a difference recipe.
Oh yeah absolutely agree, I was working towards food technology prior to finding it more fun to do chemistry and math as a hobby rather than a job ...

However assuming that ... wouldn't these be more inline nurtionally with each other?

Varying levels of sodium, sugar, fat etc would impact "flavour"? yes no maybe?

[edit]forgot to post sauce soz![/edit]
http://www.consumer.org.nz/reports/d...versus-branded

()_) ()_)--o-)_)

Last edited by ^BITES^ : 9th August 2011 at 12:34.
Old 9th August 2011, 14:50     #71
CCS
Stunt Pants

Those seem like very minimal differences.
Old 9th August 2011, 15:25     #72
^BITES^

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Sure ... but small changes in key flavour components (sugar, salt, fat) can have huge differences in flavour ...

At 2Litres the Sugar can be up to 4 grams difference from one product to another (4.7x20@100ml vs 4.9x20@100ml) ... thats equivalent to a whole teaspoon of sugar.

Just curious as to how that would come about assuming its "all from the same factory" after all?

[edit]FLAVOUR I'm not american![/edit]

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 9th August 2011, 17:16     #73
aR Que

Quote:
anchor blue:
Energy (kJ) 260
Energy (cal) 62
Protein (g) 3.2
Fat - Total (g) 3.3
Fat - Saturated (g) 2.2
Carbohydrate - Total (g) 4.9
Carbohydrate - Sugars (g) 4.9
Sodium (mg) 43
Calcium (mg) 116

blue powder:
Energy (kJ) 262
Energy (cal) 63
Protein (g) 3.4
Fat - Total (g) 3.4
Fat - Saturated (g) 2.4
Carbohydrate - Total (g) 4.6
Carbohydrate - Sugars (g) 4.6
Sodium (mg) 42
Calcium (mg) 120
No wonder Xor is one big mother fucker, LOOK AT ALL HIS EXTRA PROTEINS!!!
Old 9th August 2011, 17:27     #74
Cyberbob

Quote:
Make a batch and refrigerate it. Use it with coffee/tea when needed.

The strength of the coffee/tea and the amount of sugar will change the flavour much more drastically than the type of milk.
Old 9th August 2011, 17:40     #75
wazza
*flex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by aR Que
No wonder Xor is one big mother fucker, LOOK AT ALL HIS EXTRA PROTEINS!!!
irl chuckle ;>
Old 9th August 2011, 21:38     #76
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
Make a batch and refrigerate it. Use it with coffee/tea when needed.

The strength of the coffee/tea and the amount of sugar will change the flavour much more drastically than the type of milk.
Milk from milk powder tastes the same as milk from the bottle. Not really any difference. And you get huuuuuge muscles from drinking it, so be careful when lifting
Old 9th August 2011, 21:50     #77
TnT

Quote:
The tit is fine until say age 5 after which it's not really needed anymore.
Woah woah woah woah. You don't need tits after 5? I think GT just finally outed himself.
Old 9th August 2011, 23:11     #78
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
indeed. i'm willing to bet they've deliberately done the testing to show minor differences between them, ie do 10 random samples or whatever the requirement is until the averages are what they want.

anchor really is the same as house brand milk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Ever used one of these?
yep (it uses creama), and try comparing taste of white coffee from that machine and black coffee with milk added later.

Quote:
How does milk powder go in tea/coffee? Do you need to mix up the milk first as a big batch or can you just drop it in the hot water and be good to go?
you can either do it as a batch, or mix it in the cup at the risk of having what tastes like chalk left at the bottom of your cup

Last edited by MadMax : 9th August 2011 at 23:16.
Old 9th August 2011, 23:17     #79
MadMax
Stuff

*crema
Old 9th August 2011, 23:58     #80
cEvin
Love In Vein

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^BITES^
Sure ... but small changes in key flavour components (sugar, salt, fat) can have huge differences in flavour ...

At 2Litres the Sugar can be up to 4 grams difference from one product to another (4.7x20@100ml vs 4.9x20@100ml) ... thats equivalent to a whole teaspoon of sugar.

Just curious as to how that would come about assuming its "all from the same factory" after all?

[edit]FLAVOUR I'm not american![/edit]
Last time I compared two light blue milk brands at the supermarket they were identical in macro nutrients, I know one was anchor, I couldn't tell you what the other was - but I might have a look tomorrow

As for your question, I'm going to assume it's variations in the testing. After all - if you have a product tested for nutrients it will never match what it says on the label, these are averages that vary week to week, farm to farm and cow to cow.

That difference you think you are tasting in your coffee (lol btw, you obviously have a killer palate) is called the flavour of marketing imo.

Saladin - yeh the yellows are usually brand specific with different vitamins/minerals added, I agree these types can vary a lot in texture and taste.