User Name
Password

Old 29th October 2011, 01:14     #1
adonis

Opening Broadcasts

National: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=m46wbNdc0R0

Labour: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN5DZ...layer_embedded

Greens: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=csuQcYa4nxo

I intend to vote Green, but I gotta say, Labour nailed it. The Green's one is cute I guess, and far better than National's snorefest. 20mins of JK answering staged questions and saying nothing new.
Old 29th October 2011, 03:04     #2
CCS
Stunt Pants

Wacked

Labour nailed it? Seriously? Well... the first half of their video was stuck in the past, the second was scaremongering and "ooh isn't National bad!" If you consider that a good opening address then...uhh yeah... nailed it. Preaching to the converted? Yup, nailed it.

National's address might have been as interesting as the colour of Bill English's undies (beige, very practical) but at least they actually talked about what they're going to do.
Old 29th October 2011, 08:27     #3
fixed_truth

Unfortunately the large majority of people won't bother to watch these.
Old 29th October 2011, 08:59     #4
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

I know I won't. I've got better things to do.
Old 29th October 2011, 09:18     #5
fixed_truth

Well heavy episodic drinking is important.

Former National speech writer and press secretary Matthew Hooton on the broadcasts:
Quote:
National's ad was pedestrian, to say the least, involving an awful introductory song with clichéd images, followed by a re-created "public meeting" involving John Key in what looked like a darkened Town Hall.
Old 29th October 2011, 09:23     #6
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
Well heavy episodic drinking is important.
You walk the line.
Old 29th October 2011, 09:46     #7
drone

Deliberately putting content opinions aside for a moment...

National: WTF. Delivered really poorly. The fake town-hall meeting style was naff and delivered like a school play.

Labour: I was not expecting that. Given they've been absolutely shit at getting any message across before, where they got this from I've no idea. I suggest if they want a shit show in hell of getting any more votes than polling they need to keep those guys.

Greens: Kinda average. Nothing really jumped out at me about how it was delivered, just a routine party political broadcast.
Old 29th October 2011, 10:00     #8
cEvin
Love In Vein

Labour seemed the best to me too (although I don't generally support them)
Greens next
National last

Monday @ 8:30 is the first leaders debate
Old 29th October 2011, 12:02     #9
A Corpse
talkative lurker

I can't take anything any politician says in good faith anymore. Gigantic pack of deceitful bastards. I'll judge them in other ways, certainly not from pre-prepared statements polished and shined.
Old 29th October 2011, 16:07     #10
adonis

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Labour nailed it? Seriously? Well... the first half of their video was stuck in the past, the second was scaremongering and "ooh isn't National bad!" If you consider that a good opening address then...uhh yeah... nailed it. Preaching to the converted? Yup, nailed it.

National's address might have been as interesting as the colour of Bill English's undies (beige, very practical) but at least they actually talked about what they're going to do.
Firstly, Labour DID talk about what they were going to do, on top of their history and motivations.

Secondly, yes, they nailed it. That was possibly the best political broadcast I've ever seen (at the very least from a NZ party). Passionate, wide ranging, content filled, and unlike National's you didn't have to slap yourself every 60 seconds to stay awake. Only a partisan hack like yourself would fail to recognise how effective it was at getting their point across.
Old 29th October 2011, 16:17     #11
CCS
Stunt Pants

lol, adonis loves himself some style over substance.
Old 29th October 2011, 17:53     #12
cyc
Objection!

Quick review after skimming all 3 (they were all too tedious to bear for longer than a few minutes) -- focusing solely on the ability to get the message across and presentation.

National - what a vomit inducing piece of junk. Way too focussed on Key, the canned meeting theme was annoying, and too full of the usual platitudes.

Labour - hey guys, thanks for the history lesson but how about starting with the present? Oh and spare us the "HOW MY VALUES WERE SHAPED!" diatribes, which took way too much time, please.

Green - by far the best of the lot IMO. It's actually reasonably sincere, the presentation of getting everyone to have a say at the beginning fits in with their idea of inclusiveness, and I actually got to hear some human-delivered, uncanned lines from the leaders about their vision.

Last edited by cyc : 29th October 2011 at 17:55.