NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 31st May 2023, 14:55     #5961
fixed_truth

People need to understand the difference between having an aim to reduce (insert negative social stat here) generally, versus the aim to redress a specific historical grievance. With the later of course it wouldn't include everyone at not everyone shares that grievance.

Relevant Trevor Noah clip https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fVa-HAsB-xQ
Old 31st May 2023, 15:11     #5962
xor

Sure thing, it's still just plain ol' ethnic nationalism whichever way you want to cut it.
Old 31st May 2023, 15:16     #5963
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
People need to understand the difference between having an aim to reduce (insert negative social stat here) generally, versus the aim to redress a specific historical grievance. With the later of course it wouldn't include everyone at not everyone shares that grievance.
I don't think there are that many people who would be interested in understanding this that don't have some grasp of it.

Calling redress racism is just one more cynical ploy of those who leverage injustice for power. Parroted by poor buggers compelled to shill against their own interests, strings pulled by systems of influence that power affords.
Old 31st May 2023, 18:33     #5964
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

It's one thing to feel sympathy for hypothetical/historic people who have been hard done by.

It's another thing to hand out money unfairly to a specific small group of people who a) didn't suffer anything in the past, and b) have managed to get enough power to manipulate those with money to give to them. (ie, the Maori party)

I'm part Maori. Simon is part Maori. I'm sure others on here have Maori in their family. I can guarantee that the "solution" demanded is money (not specific social assistance with specific problems), and as with all resources, distribution is the problem, not necessarily the existence of said resources.

I don't have a problem with saying out loud "Maori were treated unfairly in the past", and believing it. But I do have a problem with giving millions/billions to a bunch of modern day cunts who use their Maori-ness to get things that others don't, and then keeping it for themselves, solving no problems at all.

I admire your empathy, but I don't believe that historic wrongs/injustice can be corrected simply by giving money [or land revoked from people who paid for it legitimately] to people who didn't suffer any of it.

Do they want an apology? Fine. Sorry guys. People I am not related to treated people we are both related to badly. But your problems today cannot be solved by money, or special treatment. Your issues are your own, and if you need to speak to someone to work through your issues, then good luck, because they're all trying to convince people that being born in the wrong body is hyper important, or quitting because the world has gone mad.
Old 29th June 2023, 13:07     #5965
Lightspeed

National would scrap Reserve Bank's sustainable house price requirements

You better hope you own a home before National is back in power, because they're pulling the ladder up as far as they can.
Old 1st July 2023, 14:36     #5966
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Plenty of reason not to trust Stats NZ. National dissolved any independence it had from government fairly early on. I recall (but sadly cannot find - I did link it a long time ago though) the outgoing head statistician talking about how the quality of statistics would be compromised without independence.
Stats NZ still haven't recovered. Very convenient.

Stats NZ scurries to rescue census

Last edited by Lightspeed : 1st July 2023 at 14:37.
Old 1st August 2023, 21:40     #5967
Lightspeed

Old 2nd August 2023, 12:32     #5968
Lightspeed

National would 'absolutely' take money from China to pay for roads

I just want $500m a year for mental health reform, maybe another $100m for more general social services.

But we don't got money for that.

When it comes to roads tho, $24b is all goods, and borrowing is suddenly on the cards.

Bald faced neoliberalism. 🤦
Old 9th August 2023, 07:39     #5969
Cyberbob

National decides they don't need the youth vote.

National Party leader Christopher Luxon this morning revealed his policy to ban cellphones at schools, to help children focus on their lessons.
Old 9th August 2023, 12:44     #5970
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Total support. It's been a school policy of my kids' place for a while and recently became government policy in this entire state.
Old 9th August 2023, 13:01     #5971
Cyberbob

School policy I'm fine with. Each to their own. Both my kids go to two different schools where that's the policy.

To make it an outright ban with no autonomy left to individual schools is heavy handed, but also not needed IMO.

It's not like there needs to be a political policy of creating a national ban on school bullying. Each school obviously deals with it today and enforces it in their own way.
If students are going against the school policies today, having it be a political policy isn't going to change any individual's behavior, and does nothing to set a standard for enforcement.
At the very most it'll set an expectation for parents that the school will create a policy if one doesn't exist today, but I'd expect most schools to already have one, and if they don't by now, they'll be very unlikely to enforce a policy despite any national ban.

Making it a political policy adds no value. It comes across as a self-righteous moral talking point.
Old 9th August 2023, 13:23     #5972
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Nobody will notice, because anything National does that looks like it's about trying to fix New Zealand's disastrous third-world education results simply draws attention to Labour's utter failure in that sector. I'm sure National is quite happy for this phone issue to put education policy on the front page of Stuff for as long as possible.
Old 9th August 2023, 16:21     #5973
Lightspeed

Yeah, that's NZ politics. Setting up failure that can be leveraged for future sound bites.

All the agonising over spending in public health and education, yet boom-boom billions for roads without a blink.

I'm not sure how much Labour could really do. You have to imagine the ministry is fairly frozen, given the whole debacle with that Shakespeare event. Imagine being the PM trying to get shit done, but having to put that aside because the public is having a wobbly about the education ministry trying to shuffle around the little money it has?

But billions for roads.

I guess we haven't suffered enough yet.
Old 9th August 2023, 17:27     #5974
sidbo
Raptus regaliter

Has anyone said "nanny state" yet?
Old 10th August 2023, 15:09     #5975
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidbo
Has anyone said "nanny state" yet?
Its only nanny state when the left does it. When the right does it, its something about cleaning up the mess from the left.
Old 10th August 2023, 15:32     #5976
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Nanny State is when the government takes away the ability of families to decide how their own households will operate. Like, when and how parents juggle maternity and paternity leave.
Old 18th October 2023, 18:33     #5977
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
A prominent Mongrel Mob president claims National’s gang policies are devastating, a breach of their human rights, and will create a “psychological war”.

Speaking exclusively to the Herald, Waikato Kingdom leader Sonny Fatupaito said after reading up on the proposals, he believes they will cause chaos.

“I think that punishing everybody actually feels like it’s a prison.”

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/politi...MGOMBEOF3SXMA/
Old 13th November 2023, 14:09     #5978
Lightspeed

National’s diplomatic fossil fuel problem

Quote:
On Wednesday at the Pacific Islands Forum, Vanuatu's Climate Change Minister, Ralph Regevanu, called on National not to reinstate offshore oil and gas exploration in New Zealand.

"We call on them not to do it. To be in line with Paris, the 1.5 degree target, the science says you cannot do new fossil fuels."

The move caught National off guard, with foreign affairs spokesperson Gerry Brownlee having told reporters just hours beforehand he didn't expect Pacific leaders to comment on the oil and gas policy.
Old 13th November 2023, 15:21     #5979
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Cheeky darkies.