Old 7th November 2023, 16:22     #6001
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

The demographics of SenateSHJ's NZ team are...interesting:

https://senateshj.com.au/our-people/...&role=&search=
Old 11th November 2023, 13:15     #6002
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

According to newly-released poll results, the social issue that New Zealanders most strongly oppose is giving biological males access to women’s spaces - greater opposition than even “co-governance”

https://www.newsroom.co.nz/race-rela...-election-poll
Old 11th November 2023, 13:54     #6003
Lightspeed

So that's the low hanging fruit if you're chasing a populist agenda.

That and rejecting the founding obligations of our nation/continuing to disregard long neglected infrastructure.

That all fits.
Old 16th November 2023, 22:30     #6004
Lightspeed

facepalm

UK's Sunak says emergency law will ensure legal action can't delay Rwanda migrant flights

Quote:
British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak said on Wednesday his government will introduce emergency legislation that will confirm that Rwanda is a safe country, after the Supreme Court ruled that the scheme to send asylum seekers there was unlawful.
"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
Old 22nd November 2023, 14:07     #6005
Lightspeed

I think Argentina's woes are not behind it yet:

Argentine election winner Milei greeted globally by mix of hostility and support

Quote:
The victory of Argentina's libertarian President-elect Javier Milei at the weekend has sparked mixed reactions worldwide - including hostility from some Latin American leftists, tentative support from others, and a pledge from China to work with him despite his critical comments.

Milei, a self-described anarcho-capitalist, channeled voter anger over a deep economic crisis and years of economic dysfunction to win by double-digits in Sunday's runoff vote.
Old 22nd November 2023, 17:28     #6006
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I see he just asserted Argentine sovereignty over the Falkland Islands, which has never caused problems before.
Old 21st December 2023, 16:40     #6007
Lightspeed

Government births, deaths and marriages IT project halted

Quote:
A $150 million government IT project has gone so badly off track it has been called to a halt.

The Department of Internal Affairs yesterday admitted to RNZ it has called a stop to the huge project that had aimed to take all births, deaths and marriages data online in the cloud.
I figure it's the usual trying to keep too many important people with important opinions happy that comes along with government projects.
Old 21st December 2023, 17:51     #6008
Redneck

"Could we just add this... and also this... and how about this..."
Old 2nd January 2024, 18:14     #6009
Lightspeed

Israel’s top court strikes down key legal reform in blow to Netanyahu

Quote:
The planned overhaul sparked months of mass protests, threatened to trigger a constitutional crisis between the judicial and legislative branches of government, and rattled the cohesion of Israel's powerful military.

Those divisions were largely put aside after Hamas militants carried out a bloody cross-border attack in southern Israel on Oct. 7, triggering a war that has raged in Gaza for nearly three months. But Monday's court decision could reignite those tensions even while the country remains at war.
Old 9th January 2024, 13:08     #6010
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck
"Could we just add this... and also this... and how about this..."
Yeah, but half of these things are probably so badly underfunded and not kept to up to date, that a lot of requests are just things that you should be able to do these days.

Request: Can we have a online form that will allow us to do ...
Existing Process: Send a fax through to an OCR scanner that will then have a user verify the information and will fax back confirmation, any missing information will cause it to decline and need to be resubmitted.
Old 9th January 2024, 15:17     #6011
Lightspeed

I think a Ministry of IT would benefit the government.

Except it wouldn't work of course, it would cost loads of money and it's politically more astute to say yes to cheap projects that snowball than committing to spending what's actually needed. Inevitably an incompetent minister would gut it for the sake of someone's tax cuts.
Old 9th January 2024, 17:20     #6012
xor

nah, current lack of accountability suggests people should not have to donate any more of their cash to a bunch of bureaucrats who couldn't fight their way out of a paper bag.
Old 11th January 2024, 12:37     #6013
xor

Golriz Goneburgers.
Old 12th January 2024, 19:00     #6014
fixed_truth

Should have stolen a drink bottle lid.
Old 15th January 2024, 10:03     #6015
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/viva/fash...L7b7vLUo3veRgM
Old 16th January 2024, 09:48     #6016
blynk

I have seen an interesting take in comments, that a symptom of MS is disinhibition, which could be a reason of why she might do something like that.

It does seem a bit odd, that someone in government to be doing something like that.
Or maybe shes just too young to know that MPs are meant to rip people off behind the scenes where its hard to get caught
Old 16th January 2024, 14:24     #6017
xor

The bigger problem imo is that a lawyer is meant to uphold the law has broken it. She should be disbarred.
The Greens party have also interfered with a police investigation which akaik is a very serious offense.

She can GTFO and forgo her politicians pension
Old 16th January 2024, 14:37     #6018
Lightspeed

Hahaha, the sharks are circling.

The government are going to be disappointed this won't drag out. They're going to looking for every distraction they can find while looting the vault.

It must be overwhelming working in government while caring about something other than money for rich people.
Old 16th January 2024, 14:43     #6019
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
She can GTFO and forgo her politicians pension
I recall a politician who would unapologetically impinge upon a young person against the advice of their own wife. In that case as well, the media let docorum lapse in the pursuit of a juicy story, misleading the young person to get extra details about the story.

This is a bit of an own goal tho. They could have let due process play out, kept the rumours churning, new accusations dripping in.

But, as is the status quo, the future doesn't exist, we want everything now. The future can burn. Literally. 🤷

Oh, but let's in this case make of show of us being a righteous and just community! Oooh, tut-tut lawyer! lolz
Old 16th January 2024, 16:17     #6020
xor

No idea what you're talking about, more babble i suppose. I'd rather our politicians and govt agencies be held to account and not have the tax payer donate their coin to subsidize a criminal politician for the rest of their life.
Old 16th January 2024, 16:43     #6021
xor

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...lriz-ghahraman

Slick
Old 16th January 2024, 17:23     #6022
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Her resignation came after Stuff revealed Ghahraman was facing a third allegation of shoplifting, in Wellington.

ahahha, serial thief

No amount of whataboutism can distract from her being morally and ethically deficient - her "mental health" will suffer more now, after quitting her job in shame and reflecting on the fact that her reputation will now be "the MP who quit after getting caught shoplifting".

Oh well, choices have consequences. No sympathy from me.
Old 16th January 2024, 17:27     #6023
Lightspeed

Quote:
Oh well, choices have consequences.
Only choices made by an individual. If we band together to make a choice, we get to ignore the consequences.
Old 16th January 2024, 19:06     #6024
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

https://twitter.com/golrizghahraman/...55678419746820

Normally a comment like this wouldn't be a big deal (whatever relationship she has with her family is her business), but in the current context, it does look kind of bad.
Old 16th January 2024, 19:57     #6025
wazza
*flex*

hectic. apparently the stress from her job turned her into a thief. was just watching some clip on nzherald.

imagine that, you're stressed out with work, so you cruise in to some boushy label and start lifting shit off the rack and place it into your purse.
Old 16th January 2024, 21:13     #6026
Lightspeed

Yeah, that's exactly how people break down.

It's like no one was really surprised Ardern stepped down. The abuse female politicians face is absurd.
Old 16th January 2024, 21:49     #6027
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

She was not aware of her mental health issues until she got caught, but now it's very obvious, she knows about them, and everyone else should believe it's true too.

Clearly mental health, because shoplifting, and video evidence.

Who needs to see a psychiatrist when you can see your video all over the news. Instant diagnosis.
Old 16th January 2024, 22:02     #6028
Lightspeed

Indeed, that's exactly how it works. If there's a better explanation of human behaviour than the unconscious model, it hasn't been developed yet.

People don't like that shit tho. We love our simple judgements, we love uncritical blaming.
Old 16th January 2024, 22:17     #6029
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaw or mdavidson
Let us be clear that no other Green Party MPs were involved in the alleged incident
https://twitter.com/investigatemag/s...08275722858752

oof, looks like ol' Chloe was in on the action
Old 16th January 2024, 23:48     #6030
fixed_truth

Chronic stress effects human behaviour?!? Sounds like witchcraft to me, burn the witch!
Old 17th January 2024, 01:09     #6031
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Indeed, that's exactly how it works. If there's a better explanation of human behaviour than the unconscious model, it hasn't been developed yet.
We don't need to explain it. We don't need a model. We just need leaders who are honest, don't shoplift, and know themselves well enough to know when they've bitten off more than they can chew. Leaders resign for a number of reasons - it's not uncommon for someone to resign. It's not a job I'd want personally - I'm sure it's shit being in the public eye, being judged, talked about by people who have never spoken to you, decide they don't like you at all based on a single thing you said that they disagree with, etc. I don't envy her.

Some models may suggest that trauma or stress lead to erratic behaviour or bad decisions. Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. I can see how it might - but that's not my concern. I only care that she broke the rules [is of bad character], got caught, and is now gone - as she should be. Her own mental health, and the reasons for her behaviour are for her to manage. If she makes bad decisions under pressure, and the job is high pressure and requires you to make good decisions that affect other people's lives, we don't need her as part of the leadership of this country.

That Chloe is implicated makes this even more entertaining.
Old 17th January 2024, 11:53     #6032
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
Chronic stress effects human behaviour?!? Sounds like witchcraft to me, burn the witch!
When Uffindell was 16, he cracked someone with a wooden bed leg because of the stress of life. /s

Funny how the left are more sympathetic to an adult than a 16 year old kid when it comes to the trials and tribulations of life.
Old 17th January 2024, 16:13     #6033
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
We just need leaders who are honest

That Chloe is implicated makes this even more entertaining.
We don't vote for leaders who are honest.

We're as interested in being entertained as we are anything else.

So we get what we get. Any expectations otherwise are naive.
Old 17th January 2024, 16:15     #6034
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
When Uffindell was 16, he cracked someone with a wooden bed leg because of the stress of life. /s

Funny how the left are more sympathetic to an adult than a 16 year old kid when it comes to the trials and tribulations of life.
Funny how we're more sympathetic to someone constantly enduring a toxic public engaging in petty theft, over a privileged child tormenting those weaker than them.

You play real hard to type Mavis of the Vapours.
Old 17th January 2024, 16:16     #6035
Lightspeed

Lightbulb

The Savagery Directed at Golriz

Quote:
New Zealand has an amazing ability to drop the mask, and its not very pleasant underneath.
Old 17th January 2024, 16:31     #6036
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Funny how we're more sympathetic to someone constantly enduring a toxic public engaging in petty theft, over a privileged child tormenting those weaker than them.

You play real hard to type Mavis of the Vapours.
What is this 'we' business? I'm not sympathetic to either. But, i think it's fairly obvious that the media gave Golriz an easy way out compared with Uffindel.
Old 17th January 2024, 16:34     #6037
Lightspeed

What is this "the left" business?

The nature of the abuse thrust at Golriz is of a completely different quality to what Uffindel faced. Golriz faces that abuse just because it's Tuesday.

You seem blind to that? Are you?
Old 17th January 2024, 16:40     #6038
xor

The left = authoritarian, identity driven political parties (namely labour/greens)

Abuse didn't force Golriz to steal. Just as much as <insert variable> didn't force Uffindel to bash a fellow student when he was at school. It's just some bs excuse.
Old 17th January 2024, 17:00     #6039
Lightspeed

Wow, I don't think you could project any harder. That's crackup.

Shut the fuck up about "force" you stupid fuck. Hahaha, fucking talkback radio behaviourism.

I mean, go on if you want. It's just absurd you pretending you know things.
Old 17th January 2024, 17:13     #6040
xor

ah right, not her fault. I forgot. That's another trait of the left. Oppressed vs Oppressor thinking. It's probably my fault.