Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
Well, he is from (South) Africa...
And I live on an Island in the Pacific.
Old 19th April 2022, 13:04     #362
_indigo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
If I can be a Pacific Islander then he can be an African American...
Here's a discussion starter.

Is the word Pakeha racist?

So Pakeha originally meant not Maori, foreigner, alien, exotic. That was it's definition and use.
However; it's historical *use* was against European colonisers - so it has become defacto attached to Europeans due to historical connotations.

It seems then that the word Pakeha is a word used to identify specifically white people with a connotation that they are "not from here", alien, invaders, colonisers, "not us", outsiders.
The fact that the word Pakeha is no longer applied to other non-natives like Asians, Pacific Islanders, Mexicans, etc, underscores that this is a term that is more about racism and dividing society based on ancestral transgressions based purely on skin colour - and not about merely identifying native vs non-native New Zealanders.

How is that not racist?
An example would be a Spaniard or Canadian being treated as a Pakeha with all the baggage that carries in some environments when they actually have nothing to do with colonising NZ.

You can say that 'that is just what the word has come to mean' - but I mean - that would mean the only difference between that and other racist terms, is generally white people DGAF about it.

*puts a log on the fire and sits back*

Last edited by _indigo1 : 19th April 2022 at 13:08.
Old 19th April 2022, 13:39     #363
xor

Quote:
How is that not racist?
An example would be a Spaniard or Canadian being treated as a Pakeha with all the baggage that carries in some environments when they actually have nothing to do with colonising NZ.
Because the orthodoxy says so, even though it makes no rational sense. Cool eh
Old 19th April 2022, 15:00     #364
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by _indigo1
Here's a discussion starter.

Is the word Pakeha racist?
There's racism in the sense that our society is established on a foundation of race. We've emerged from an age where we worked hard to develop concepts of race, with race becoming entrenched in our culture and language. For instance many official forms will ask for some kind of racial information.

There's also racism in the sense of judging individuals and communities by the race you identify them as, exploiting racial inequalities, both at the individual and institutional level.

Likewise there are the efforts to mitigate racial inequalities, addressing the problems that we've identified have emerged from this history, this exploitation. To offer redress.

All this is racism.

Unfortunately the extent of the education many of us receive on racism can be an overworked teacher telling us "don't be racist". It's understandable more nuanced understandings of the concept can be met with resentment by those who just thought we were all trying hand not to be racist, whatever that actually means.

Last edited by Lightspeed : 19th April 2022 at 15:02.
Old 19th April 2022, 15:58     #365
Cyberbob

Well yes, you're defining a group of people based on whether or not they're a part of your race, so yes, it's racist to the definition of the term, but then it'll be up to you and the rest of society to determine whether or not it's an acceptable level of racism. That's also something that changes over time. It used to be perfectly acceptable to discuss any manner of things that would be considered disgustingly racist today.
Obviously those things aren't all equal comparisons of equal weight, but it's so nuanced no one's got it right yet.

Last edited by Cyberbob : 19th April 2022 at 16:01.
Old 19th April 2022, 16:37     #366
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

chinese-sounding names
Old 19th April 2022, 22:04     #367
fixed_truth

Quote:
It seems then that the word Pakeha is a word used to identify specifically white people with a connotation that they are "not from here", alien, invaders, colonisers, "not us", outsiders.
It's used to describe New Zealanders of European descent.

Quote:
fact that the word Pakeha is no longer applied to other non-natives like Asians, Pacific Islanders, Mexicans, etc, underscores that this is a term that is more about racism and dividing society based on ancestral transgressions based purely on skin colour - and not about merely identifying native vs non-native New Zealanders.

How is that not racist?
Again it's just a label to describe New Zealanders of European descent, like the label African American, or Maori. Also what's skin colour got to do with it? Are you saying Maori have to have a certain skin colour?
Old 19th April 2022, 22:26     #368
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
Well yes, you're defining a group of people based on whether or not they're a part of your race, so yes, it's racist to the definition of the term, but then it'll be up to you and the rest of society to determine whether or not it's an acceptable level of racism. That's also something that changes over time. It used to be perfectly acceptable to discuss any manner of things that would be considered disgustingly racist today.
Obviously those things aren't all equal comparisons of equal weight, but it's so nuanced no one's got it right yet.
I think that making distinctions between people based on race only becomes racist if it's an unjustified distinction. Which as you say can often be subjective.
Old 20th April 2022, 08:38     #369
StN
I have detailed files

Interestingly, during my period of being self classed as a Pacific Islander in the medical system, the GPs nurse was profiling me for type-2 diabetes. Since changing to Euro-NZ no such drama.
Old 20th April 2022, 14:00     #370
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
And I live on an Island in the Pacific.
Indeed

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 20th April 2022, 14:31     #371
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Interestingly, during my period of being self classed as a Pacific Islander in the medical system, the GPs nurse was profiling me for type-2 diabetes. Since changing to Euro-NZ no such drama.
You should have self-ID'd as a five-year-old and watched her reaction to your stats.
Old 20th April 2022, 14:59     #372
Lightspeed

It all comes down to what's cost-effective.

It's much cheaper lumping people together by race, than come up with more sophisticated means to identify people at risk due to their biological profile.

Money is the priority in all of this.
Old 25th April 2022, 15:56     #373
Lightspeed

Twitter is reportedly reconsidering Elon Musk's bid to buy the social media company after the Tesla CEO confirmed $46.5 billion in financing
Old 25th April 2022, 16:36     #374
Savage

Finally deleted FB, IG, and WA accounts. FeelsGoodMan.jpg
Old 25th April 2022, 20:38     #375
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage
GG
Old 26th April 2022, 11:50     #376
fixed_truth

Quote:
Musk has described himself as a “free-speech absolutist” but is also known for blocking or disparaging other Twitter users who question or disagree with him.
How could this possibly go bad?
Old 26th April 2022, 12:09     #377
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Bad news everyone

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...65241.html?amp
Old 26th April 2022, 12:43     #378
pxpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage
What's WA?
Old 26th April 2022, 13:34     #379
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

whatsapp? the Facebook trifecta.
Old 26th April 2022, 13:43     #380
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
whatsapp? the Facebook trifecta.
Old 28th April 2022, 22:57     #381
[fe]

About the same time musk decides to throw a gazillion dollars on a US social media company, the EU pilots platforms (for their institutions) for social and video based off mastodon and peertube respectively. Nothing game changing but nice to see a bit of variation happening.
Old 30th April 2022, 17:02     #382
Lightspeed

Mehdi Hasan is having a field day:

Old 30th April 2022, 20:10     #383
Lightspeed

Laugh

Got 'em!

Old 30th April 2022, 20:19     #384
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Knife, gunfight
Old 1st May 2022, 16:53     #385
Trigga*happY

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
It's used to describe New Zealanders of European descent.

Again it's just a label to describe New Zealanders of European descent, like the label African American, or Maori. Also what's skin colour got to do with it? Are you saying Maori have to have a certain skin colour?
Curious if you could elaborate on that. Is it ALL New Zealanders of European descent, or specifically New Zealanders of european descent with direct lineage to the colonising Europeans? Example, if an American moves here today, are they considered Pakeha?
Old 1st May 2022, 17:46     #386
Cyberbob

Doesn't Pakeha just mean "Anyone not Maori."? So yea, they would be.

Like how either you were Greek, or you were a Barbarian.
Old 1st May 2022, 18:00     #387
Lightspeed

I don't go around considering who or what other people are. I'll let them tell me, otherwise, why do I need to know? At least, I do my best.

I'm a Pakeha in the sense I'm a European descendant who grew up in direct relationship with a Maori community. You might be a different kind of Pakeha, that's up to you.

I get that this isn't how these things worked in history, but history is full of bullshit and we can make our own decisions.
Old 2nd May 2022, 16:54     #388
Trigga*happY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
Doesn't Pakeha just mean "Anyone not Maori."? So yea, they would be.

Like how either you were Greek, or you were a Barbarian.
FT specifically removed other non-maori's from the group, providing a fairly definitive view of pakeha delineation. Was just wondering if there is a distinction between NZ colonising Europeans and their ancestors, or it's just all Europeans.
Old 2nd May 2022, 16:57     #389
Trigga*happY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
I don't go around considering who or what other people are. I'll let them tell me, otherwise, why do I need to know? At least, I do my best.

I'm a Pakeha in the sense I'm a European descendant who grew up in direct relationship with a Maori community. You might be a different kind of Pakeha, that's up to you.

I get that this isn't how these things worked in history, but history is full of bullshit and we can make our own decisions.
I grew up in a small north auckland community with the fairly typical melting pot environment. Maori, European, Asian etc. Was never referred to as Pakeha, and didn't learn the word until I learned about it in school.

I don't go around labelling people, and dont give a rats ass about what people consider me to be either, I was just interested in the line in the sand declaration FT made, and was wondering where it extended to
Old 21st June 2022, 15:21     #390
Lightspeed

facepalm

I run a small artisanal fruit farm in France. American Tiktok influencers destroyed approximately 15% of my crop. Can I prosecute people in a different country? /r/legaladvice
Old 9th July 2022, 17:39     #391
Lightspeed

Rolling eyes

Twitter will take Elon Musk to court to force him to buy it for $44 billion

To the surprise of no one.
Old 5th October 2022, 22:12     #392
Lightspeed

We might get to see the shit show after all!

Twitter shares halted after report Elon Musk deal to go ahead
Old 6th October 2022, 00:14     #393
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Neither Musk nor the Twitter board have any choice. Offer and acceptance; neither can pull out. It was never not going to go ahead.
Old 6th October 2022, 00:34     #394
Lightspeed

facepalm

New owner of Twitter getting owned on Twitter:

https://mobile.twitter.com/JJC1138/s...86486586871808
Old 6th October 2022, 11:30     #395
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Telegraph news social media team launch edgy new logo

https://mobile.twitter.com/telegraphnews

Old 6th October 2022, 15:39     #396
StN
I have detailed files

“Mein Leben!”
Old 6th October 2022, 16:59     #397
Cyberbob

If you press spacebar on it, it'll open up a secret corridor.
Old 12th December 2022, 13:15     #398
Lightspeed

How a council's weird TikTok account represents everything that is wrong with local democracy
Old 14th December 2022, 11:31     #399
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Australian trio driven mad by social media kill 3 people before being shot dead by police

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...nd-four-others
Old 14th December 2022, 12:19     #400
StN
I have detailed files

Yeah - when I saw that on the news last night I said to the boy "Looks like more Covid anti-vax conspiracy nutters..." then realised I was just basing it on people going off grid.