NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 7th March 2007, 18:29     #121
wishes

Quote:
so what do you do in ninjer class? watch reruns of TMNT and talk about how much you wish you were japanese?
I thought they did that normal talking and making their mouth go all over the show like eddie murphy does (simulated voice over)

Quote:
Do you guys drink much coffee? is it that bad for you?
2-3 a day, sometimes more, sometimes less. Though im loosing rather than gaining (55kg lost, 30 to go)
Old 7th March 2007, 22:00     #122
wugambino
Electric Boogaloo

I currently do my chest and triceps on the same day , im starting to think this isent the best idea as most chest exercises work triceps as well :|
Old 7th March 2007, 22:44     #123
Whiplash
Bobo Fettish

You want to work out your triceps but don't want to do an exercise that works out your ... triceps.

Hmm ...

Maybe that's why most trainers group the exercises together
Old 7th March 2007, 23:02     #124
wugambino
Electric Boogaloo

haha ok sounds like a stupid question when you put it that way :P It sounded more sensible in my head I assure you!
Old 7th March 2007, 23:12     #125
Helious

I have chest and tri's on the same day for my routine wugz, chest first, then BURN those tri's...
Old 7th March 2007, 23:15     #126
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

Yeah man. Do your benches first then your tris are pre-exhausted and ready to be punished!
Old 23rd March 2007, 18:39     #127
LordP

Cheesy grin

So, this exercise thing then.

I've bought a bike (Giant Yukon), and related gadgets (cause you know, gotta have gadgets) like a trip computer etc, and today was my first real day.

I've sorted out a circuit from home to my old work and back again, 15.5k round trip. Did it today in 50 mins, which I'm quite happy with. As an added bonus, my legs don't feel like they're dying afterwards

My plan is to do that circuit every other day (Mon/Wed/Fri) and either Saturday or Sunday. So far the weather has been ideal, but I don't expect that to stay as it is. My first target will be to bring to time down to 45 mins.
Old 23rd March 2007, 19:38     #128
wishes

Yeah, tell me about it with the weather
I was riding to work daily (10km each way) until i broke my finger, then the weather packed it in.

Do you guys ever have trouble with the wind pushing you about on particularly gusty days ?
Old 23rd March 2007, 20:35     #129
wugambino
Electric Boogaloo

well it never gets that windy here (akl) so not really , I have been for a couple of real dodgey rides though in the rain / wind ... not alot you can do about it unfortunately just try to keep you weight as centered as possible.

Im going for amd 80km ride tommorow , only 1 week till rotorua -> taupo :|
Old 23rd March 2007, 21:01     #130
wishes

You must live in the wrong parts of akl

I go from glenfield to albany - along the top of several ridges that get fairly blustery. My bikes an Avanti Corsa Elite, and super light. Ill be flying down hills at about 55km/ph and gusts just knock me sideways. It can be really scarey.
Maybe im just to novice and top heavy still?
Old 23rd March 2007, 21:35     #131
drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ]- Volatile -[
no they take pics of each other topless in camo pants.
ahah so good. made me lol.
Old 23rd March 2007, 23:35     #132
leadinjector

i showed my coach that pic the other day and xors comments about it, he thought it was fucking hilarious. fuck you gyus for not getting the joke >.>

ive never been REALLY blown around by the wind but if its too windy i tend not to bother and just take a bus. like the other week with that storm or whatever the fuck was going on
Old 24th March 2007, 01:16     #133
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadinjector
i showed my coach that pic the other day and xors comments about it, he thought it was fucking hilarious. fuck you gyus for not getting the joke >.>

ive never been REALLY blown around by the wind but if its too windy i tend not to bother and just take a bus. like the other week with that storm or whatever the fuck was going on

What comment did I make?
Old 24th March 2007, 01:25     #134
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordP
I've sorted out a circuit from home to my old work and back again, 15.5k round trip. Did it today in 50 mins
that's not bad. i used to do 8.7k in 20 mins.
Old 24th March 2007, 03:47     #135
Boofhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
What comment did I make?
IIRC you said he looked really hot.
Old 24th March 2007, 03:55     #136
[WanG] Wandarah

Oh phew.

I thought I was the only one that rubbed one out.
Old 25th March 2007, 02:38     #137
Hooker

Quote:
My plan is to do that circuit every other day (Mon/Wed/Fri) and either Saturday or Sunday. So far the weather has been ideal, but I don't expect that to stay as it is. My first target will be to bring to time down to 45 mins.
cool lp, you need a crew for weekend trips which is good for long rides.

Anyway, since I got no bike () I've been running ().

I've upgraded my running times from 45min to 60min and generally do this 4 times a week, sometimes 3 or 5. With summer coming up I'll be able to increase the time since I'll be able to do it after work instead of before.

At the mo my 5km treadmill time is 23m10s, my next target is 22m45s. I've decided to stop fkcn around and go for gold. The London marathon is coming up, but had to register/enter by october(!) last year.
Old 25th March 2007, 22:00     #138
Phrack

I've had to pick up cardio heaps recently. Hockey is pretty intense at the moment, coach wants us getting level 15 on the beep test before the 6th of may( im about 11.5 at the moment). Gonna start swimming to try help with that.

As for weights I cut down heaps. Just do a couple of exercises for each body part, one exercise is heavy, 4reps of about 8, second is lighter but 4 reps of about 15. Seems to be working.
Old 26th March 2007, 12:09     #139
FireStorm
Holmium

Can I get some advice please. I'm wanting to get back into shape after I've put on a "few" kgs *cough*.

Anyway, ultimately, I'm wanting to lose the fat and put on muscle like I used to have before I met my GF (and got all lazy etc). I used to be 5"8 @ 85 kgs ( low body fat, buff etc). I'm now 99 kgs and haven't been doing much exercise for around 20 months now!

I'm cutting down on eating rubbish (e.g. the free cans of softdrink that work provides) and eating more fruit, complex carbs etc. I don't have access to a gym or a treadmill. I have adjustable free weights and I don't have a bench press. Ideally I'm looking at getting a bench and a treadmill (for those rainy days) but I don't have them just yet.

Now, in terms of exercising, my current plan / system is:

Day 1: Run/walk 30 - 40 mins (trying to run the whole distance, not quite there yet). Also a lot of hills around my house...
Day 2: Run/walk 25 mins, do weights for 15 minutes (mainly biceps/triceps/abs)
Day 3: Run/walk 30 - 40 mins
Day 4: Run/walk 25 mins, do weights for 15 minutes
Day 5: Run/walk 30 - 40 mins
Day 6: Run/walk 25 mins, do weights for 15 minutes
Day 7: rest

Any suggestions or alterations I should make?
Old 26th March 2007, 12:12     #140
cEvin
Love In Vein

post your diet..
Old 26th March 2007, 12:49     #141
Jonas Undrawing

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishes
I thought they did that normal talking and making their mouth go all over the show like eddie murphy does (simulated voice over)
or Michael Winslow

and kung fu http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO0RjErOYVY&NR

Last edited by Jonas Undrawing : 26th March 2007 at 12:51.
Old 26th March 2007, 13:14     #142
FireStorm
Holmium

For breakfast (workdays) I tend to have either porridge with low fat milk or some low fat cereal, with low fat milk

Lunch (workdays): I have molenberg whole grain bread with a small can of tuna (if with oil, the oil is drained) and a small amount of weight watchers mayonaise. I tend to have 2 - 3 sandwiches. No butter or margarine

Dinner: random. This changes and is probably my biggest problem area. I need better discipline too and it's what I'm focusing on. If I get take out, will look at the lighter options (e.g. chicken salad vs supremo burger at Nandos).

I've bought some juicies that I'm have for desert. Low calorie and it's effectively pure fruit juice, so it's a lot healthier, than say, ice cream or chocolate.
Old 26th March 2007, 14:28     #143
cEvin
Love In Vein

fs: any idea on total calories and what your caloric requirements are?

looks pretty good though..
Old 26th March 2007, 14:44     #144
FireStorm
Holmium

No idea mate. I think I'll try and stick to my routine for a few weeks and I'll see how I go. I'm also going to measure myself at the waist and my weight. Since I'll be doing weights, I may not initially see any weight loss.

Any idea how I can work out my body fat %?
Old 26th March 2007, 15:02     #145
cEvin
Love In Vein

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStorm
Since I'll be doing weights, I may not initially see any weight loss.
why would that make a difference? you're abs going to explode huge in a couple of weeks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStorm
Any idea how I can work out my body fat %?
you can buy electronic measurement devices on trademe really cheaply (they are mostly inaccurate, but consistent), some scales do it too. otherwise calipers.
Old 26th March 2007, 15:13     #146
leadinjector

yeah, caliper test is probably the way to go- you can probably get one for free if you hit up the local University sportscentre. We were told we have to do 20 (or 25 i forget) caliper tests before we could get accredited as a caliper reading person so theres usually some sucker who will gladly do it for free. you just have to hope they dont suck too badly, although its hard to fuck them up significantly unless you are an eedjit.
Old 26th March 2007, 17:43     #147
PiNg`

how does an electronic device calculate body fat based on heart rate? - http://www.trademe.co.nz/Health-beau...n-93323444.htm
Old 26th March 2007, 17:51     #148
PiNg`

answering my own question, this link is pertinent (and explains the inaccurate readings already mentioned) http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...15/ai_19205606
Old 30th March 2007, 13:54     #149
LordP

Well, the cold I had (and sort of still have) took me down a few pegs and I haven't been able to go out riding until today.

However, I completely blew away my expectations and did a slightly shorter circuit (14.8k vs 15.5k) in 43 minutes today. So, 40 minutes is the next target.

My diet definitely needs to be worked on, as it's mostly rubbish. I find that I often argue with myself, and invariably lose, over what to eat. Never really much of a breakfast kinda person, or a morning person for that matter, but I've started having cereal, and eating more fresh fruit.

Lunch is a bit of a random affair at the moment, and there's a bakery down the road that is causing all sorts of problems. Dinner is another sticking point, but I have a plan to introduce better choices.

No weight training at this stage, though I might try something like push-ups and crunches to start with. I think in the past, I've tried to do too much, too quickly, and expected things to happen straight away. So now it's try to be more patient, settle into a routine and work through it.
Old 2nd April 2007, 16:24     #150
wishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Undrawing
Oh yeah, thats who i was thinkin of

Anyone going to r4?
Old 2nd April 2007, 17:35     #151
LordP

Not this year, but as the site says, I might make it a target for next year. I don't know if I can manage 20kms in one ride, let alone 90kms.

Did my circuit again today, shaved 20 seconds off my previous time. Average speed is a little over 20km/h.
Old 2nd April 2007, 17:42     #152
JP

If i'm doing a ratio of something like 1hr weights/ 45 mins cardio, is it better to do the weights or cardio first? I've always gone with weights first cardio second, but thought it's worth checking.
Old 2nd April 2007, 18:28     #153
cEvin
Love In Vein

if you do the cardio first then you won't able to lift as much, so lift first.
Old 3rd April 2007, 10:11     #154
wishes

Quote:
Not this year, but as the site says, I might make it a target for next year. I don't know if I can manage 20kms in one ride, let alone 90kms.

Did my circuit again today, shaved 20 seconds off my previous time. Average speed is a little over 20km/h.
Thats not a bad speed. I think i started at about that, then when i switched bikes(mountain to road bike) went up to 25-30, now im up to about 30-35 i think (not overly fast, but im happy with it)

Im debating doing the R4 just because i can, i very much doubt ill place anywhere
Old 5th April 2007, 23:49     #155
wishes

Just plotted a course on bikely.com for the R4, its quick and dirty, but fairly accurate. If you click the 'Show' and then 'Elevation' it actually looks pretty easy - mostly downhill!

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...e-Race-5th-May
Old 23rd April 2007, 21:08     #156
PiNg`

I've been reading about increasing my protein intake and wondered about protein shakes, are they useful to anyone except body builders? I'm focusing on weight loss and toning, 35mins cardio, 20 mins weights and wondered whether they'd be suitable to the type of exercise I do. Is it better just to eat natural sources of it such as chicken, lean meat and fish?
Old 23rd April 2007, 22:35     #157
wishes

Well if you're loosing weight then you're at a calorie deficit, you want to keep the protein up so you loose fat and not muscle (for the same reason you should do weights when trying to loose weight).
If you exercise heavily, you might need to up your protein intake from the RDA's recommendation of 0.8 g/kg to 1.2-1.8 g/kg. Preferably eaten right after lifting some weights
Im loosing weight, and when i do weights i make sure i have either a protein bar or steak afterwards. checkout fitday.com for keeping an eye on what you're eating or not.
Old 24th April 2007, 00:13     #158
cEvin
Love In Vein

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishes
Well if you're loosing weight then you're at a calorie deficit, you want to keep the protein up so you loose fat and not muscle (for the same reason you should do weights when trying to loose weight).

Im loosing weight, and when i do weights i make sure i have either a protein bar or steak afterwards. checkout fitday.com for keeping an eye on what you're eating or not.
wtf are you dribbling on about?

ping - take the shake only if for the sake of convenience or getting in enough calories (it's easier to drink calories than eat them, but solid food is always better if available).

most people will have protein and simple carbs in a shake during or post workout, then a meal an hour or two later.
Old 24th April 2007, 03:26     #159
Hooker

was at the London Marathon yesterday, man - talk about impressive. The dudes that won did it all in 2h07m (or near that). That is 20kph! (26 Miles, 41.6km)

I thought 'I should try running faster', stupid as it sounds it is one thing you kinda forget about when you run every day mindlessly.
With this in mind I'm now putting my intervals back in. I've been slack recently as travelling and exercise don't generally go together...especially in IT when the hours aren't the friendliest (sp) :/

My last 5km time was 22m40sec, haven't done one for 3/4 weeks now - getting closer to 22m. Anyone got any interval tips?

Last edited by Hooker : 24th April 2007 at 03:28.
Old 24th April 2007, 16:35     #160
wishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cEvin
wtf are you dribbling on about?

ping - take the shake only if for the sake of convenience or getting in enough calories
Speaking of dribbling on, he said weight LOSS, so im sure hes not going for getting in enough calories.

Hooker, ooo I heard it was uber hot and lots of people didnt make it. Some guy even died after completing it.