NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 25th April 2019, 19:48     #1
StN
I have detailed files

Goodness me - I thought Return of the King milked the ending...
Old 26th April 2019, 00:25     #2
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

The Avengers Endgame spoileriffic thread

(I'll merge this back into the main movie thread once things have settled down a bit)

So many hits in the feels. Thor and Frigga especially (for me).
Old 26th April 2019, 11:24     #3
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

How old is Cap by the end of the movie? 140 or thereabouts?
Old 26th April 2019, 19:01     #4
StN
I have detailed files

I have the body of Thor...

Also - Fortnight - ha!

Last edited by StN : 26th April 2019 at 19:02.
Old 26th April 2019, 20:56     #5
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

The coolest thing about that scene was Korg sitting there on the couch in Taika Waititi's pineapple pyjamas.
Old 27th April 2019, 09:07     #6
StN
I have detailed files

Yes! - I initially thought it was a random Hawaiian shirt, which strangely mirrored what I was wearing - but then in fell into place.
Old 27th April 2019, 13:47     #7
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Fuck I’m so amped to go see it again.
Old 27th April 2019, 14:29     #8
Pepsi
Konnichiwa, bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Haha same! I'm so satisfied with how that all ended tbh
Old 27th April 2019, 17:29     #9
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

4 times in my big boy adult life I’ve had acute eyewatwery sniffly hayfever attacks in cinemas and 3 of those were in Endgame. I did better than 9-yr-old Vianne who was a complete wreck. I want to go solo to a late-night bar-service session where I can sit in the corner and drink through the feels.
Old 27th April 2019, 20:39     #10
Cyberbob

Man, such a hit in the feels. By itself it was a good movie, but as the end of such a massive journey, wow. Some incredible writing to tie everything together like that.

Quick list of highlights for me..
  • The cold open on Clint Barton's family picnic.
  • Thor aiming for the head.
  • The mouse that saves the universe.
  • Lebowski Thor.
  • Time travel movie recap
  • A Cap worthy of the hammer.
  • "Hail Hydra"
  • The Clint & Natasha moment.
  • I am Inevitable -> I am Iron Man.
  • “Proof That Tony Stark Has a Heart”
  • Cap got his Happily Ever After.

Last edited by Cyberbob : 27th April 2019 at 20:41.
Old 28th April 2019, 07:28     #11
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Going again this arvo - this time I'll stay for the (very very subtle) post credits bit.
Old 28th April 2019, 09:24     #12
Kryten

So great. Highlight for me was Captain America, pretty much all of it. First Avenger is still my favourite of all of the MCU movies so Peggy and Steve getting their happy life together made me cry (I got upset enough when he saw her through the office window, I’m so glad they followed through with it). Hail Hydra and the Steve vs Steve fight were great as well.

Also, how cool is it that GoTG 3 looks like it’ll have Thor as well? Ragnarok has clearly had an impact on Hemsworth, that dude was funny as hell in this one.

“She’s got help” hit me too - I’m glad my boys are growing up seeing women kick arse.

Can’t wait to see it again.
Old 28th April 2019, 13:54     #13
pxpx

May have let out a fairly loud "YEAH!" as soon as I realized cap got the hammer.
Also: "you have the little one"

So good.
Old 28th April 2019, 15:15     #14
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

When I was a kid Captain America and Spider-Man were my guys, and the two moments in the movie that elicited spontaneous yells of "YEAH!!" from me were Cap catching Mjølnir and Spidey swinging back through the portal.

Edit - first time I've ever experienced an Australian cinema crowd applauding at the end of a movie.

also, first time in a loooong time that I've seen a queue at a cinema. Like, snaking through the lobby and out the door and down the street. It was like the 20th century all over again.
Old 28th April 2019, 18:10     #15
pxpx

The last time (I can remember at least...) every single cinema at the multi-plex was showing the same movie, was Avatar?
Old 28th April 2019, 21:36     #16
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryten
“She’s got help” hit me too - I’m glad my boys are growing up seeing women kick arse.
I'll be honest, it seemed a little forced to see all the females line up nicely, in a token Feminism sort of way.
Old 28th April 2019, 22:12     #17
Kryten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
I'll be honest, it seemed a little forced to see all the females line up nicely, in a token Feminism sort of way.
You’re not wrong, but it’s also maybe a nod to the all-women A Force comic (which wasn’t well particularly well received, it turns out).
Old 29th April 2019, 00:19     #18
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Man, such a hit in the feels. By itself it was a good movie, but as the end of such a massive journey, wow. Some incredible writing to tie everything together like that.

Quick list of highlights for me..
  • The cold open on Clint Barton's family picnic.
  • Thor aiming for the head.
  • The mouse that saves the universe.
  • Lebowski Thor.
  • Time travel movie recap
  • A Cap worthy of the hammer.
  • "Hail Hydra"
  • The Clint & Natasha moment.
  • I am Inevitable -> I am Iron Man.
  • “Proof That Tony Stark Has a Heart”
  • Cap got his Happily Ever After.

"Avengers!"

"Assemble."

Old 29th April 2019, 17:33     #20
crocos

Speaking of spoilers: Justice or overreaction?
https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/...ngers-endgame/

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 29th April 2019, 22:45     #21
pxpx

Total overreaction
Old 30th April 2019, 00:51     #22
Lightspeed

Went and grabbed cheese burger right after the movie. It was fantastic.

So many great moments in the film. The pacing was so well done. The humour really worked to break up the tension between scenes.
  • Captain America vs Captain America.
  • Cap getting the hammer also elicited my loudest cheer, but it wasn't the only one.
  • "Avengers... assemble."
  • Everything Captain Marvel.
  • Thor and his mum.
  • Korg.
  • Barton might have been my favourite. Legit bad-ass.
  • Secret agent vs secret agent, fighting each other to be the one to die. Not a typical fight scene.
  • Thanos' final scene.
I'm not going to bother figuring out the timey-wimey stuff.

Gotta be some awkward reunions tho', five years is a long time.
Old 30th April 2019, 17:56     #23
Know me.

Thought it was an average movie. Too many threads/stories to it. I have enjoyed some of the other movies like Dr Strange but not this one.
Old 30th April 2019, 17:58     #24
pxpx

I feel like we don't even know you anymore.
Old 30th April 2019, 21:21     #25
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

hiding in plain sight

Paul Rudd looking at her like are you insane I'm right behind you the sniper could shoot right through you
Old 30th April 2019, 21:22     #26
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Old 1st May 2019, 09:50     #27
reac
Min Sicker Reac

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Going again this arvo - this time I'll stay for the (very very subtle) post credits bit.
Have to admit it was a bit too subtle for me, I could tell that there was something going on, but not what it meant.
Old 1st May 2019, 09:52     #28
reac
Min Sicker Reac

Quote:
I thought it was a rather good fuck you to all the neck beards who whine every time there is a female lead character in 'their' movie.
Old 1st May 2019, 10:31     #29
pxpx

The scene where they all line up is an Easter-egg for A-force.
Old 1st May 2019, 13:52     #30
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by reac
I thought it was a rather good fuck you to all the neck beards who whine every time there is a female lead character in 'their' movie.
I love it even more for this reason, and I loved it already
Old 1st May 2019, 14:53     #31
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
How old is Cap by the end of the movie? 140 or thereabouts?
It depends. He lives a life in another timeline with Peggy, then at some point in that timeline comes back to the point he left in his original timeline, assumedly with tech from the split timeline he had a life in. Maybe he leaves just as the original Cap of that timeline is found and defrosted?

Thinking about the split timeline(s) gets a bit messy.
Old 1st May 2019, 16:49     #32
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I just tried to work it out... Movie canon is that he's 25 when he gets the serum in 1943. Frozen in 1945 at or about 27. Wakes up in 20(11?) at the age of 27, defeats Thanos in 2023 at age 39. Goes back to (1945?), reunites with Peggy and takes the long way around back to 2023 to meet with Bucky and Sam lakeside, making him 39+78=119 years old?
Old 1st May 2019, 16:53     #33
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I just tried to work it out... Movie canon is that he's 25 when he gets the serum in 1943. Frozen in 1945 at or about 27. Wakes up in 20(11?) at the age of 27, defeats Thanos in 2023 at age 39. Goes back to (1945?), reunites with Peggy and takes the long way around back to 2023 to meet with Bucky and Sam lakeside, making him 39+78=119 years old?
Yes, but what affect does serum have on aging...
Old 1st May 2019, 17:39     #34
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I think that breaks the rules of the time travel in the movie. But I dunno, timey-wimey stuff always breaks down on close inspection.
Old 1st May 2019, 19:15     #35
Lightspeed

That reminds me, has anyone done the maths on Captain Marvel yet?
Old 1st May 2019, 21:10     #36
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
This depends on Cap going back to 1970 to return the Space Stone to SHIELD then making another jump to go back further to 1945 (this would explain Prof Hulk's "he overshot his jump point" or whatever it is he says)

Variations to this could be

- Cap goes back to reunite with Peggy in a year more recent than 1945, like staying in 1970. I think this unlikely given that he "had a date" at 8pm on a Saturday night in 1945 and had been told not to be late.

- Cap goes back to 1945, lives with Peggy until she dies sometime around 2016, then hits the return button on his quantum bracelet and returns to lakeside 2023, missing the platform and appearing at the water's edge (this would also explain Prof Hulk's comment).

I had always assumed that super-soldier-serum Cap would age very slowly if at all, kinda like Logan. I was surprised to see him looking elderly.
Old 2nd May 2019, 16:00     #37
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
That reminds me, has anyone done the maths on Captain Marvel yet?
Given that she wasn't frozen like Steve Rogers, I'm thinking she doesn't age. Plus all that FTL travel has got to do fucked up things to her personal timeline, so any calcs are probably pretty meaningless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I had always assumed that super-soldier-serum Cap would age very slowly if at all, kinda like Logan. I was surprised to see him looking elderly.
That was a comparatively young and capable 119 y/o. I think slowed aging, but maybe only like 1.5x lifespan?

Last edited by crocos : 2nd May 2019 at 16:02.
Old 2nd May 2019, 18:30     #38
pxpx

These last few posts

What have we become?
Old 2nd May 2019, 18:41     #39
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
What have we become?
NEEEEERDS.

But then that's been the case for decades for most of us.

Old 2nd May 2019, 19:35     #40
Lightspeed

How awkward for you pxpx, to discover you've been hanging out with nerds all this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I thought it was a nice way of retiring the character without killing him off. At first I thought he had reverted to his pre-serum state from the silhouette.