NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Technology & Troubleshooting
User Name
Password

Old 27th November 2019, 16:58     #1
Lightspeed

PC builds for 2020

It's time for a new PC, something get into 4k and VR gaming with.

I've spec'd out a couple of builds.

Performance:

Code:
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600 $345 Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition $70 GPU AMD RX 580 $370 Mobo MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max $240 RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 2666MHz 2x16GB $270 SSD Samsung 860 EVO 1TB $220 VDU Titan Army C34SW 34" UltraWide $700 PSU Corsair RM650X V2 650W $195 Case Corsair Carbide 275R Black Glass Edition ATX MidTower $140 Kbd Logitech G512 Carbon Tactile $160 Mouse Razer DeathAdder Elite $115 $2,710

Boost:

Code:
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3700X $590 Cooler GPU AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT $750 Mobo MSI MPG X570 $435 RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 3200MHz 2x16GB $300 SSD Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB $380 VDU LG UltraGear 34GK950F-B 34" UltraWide $1,500 PSU Corsair RM650X V2 650W $195 Case Corsair OBSIDIAN SERIES 500D Premium ATX MidTower Gaming Case $230 Kbd Logitech G512 Carbon Tactile $160 Mouse Razer DeathAdder Elite $115 $4,655

Comments?
Old 28th November 2019, 09:29     #2
pxpx

- No CPU Cooler on the second build?
- Personal Preference but I'm not a fan of Corsair cases; have a look at NZXT, very sleek designs, good quality and really well priced. I've got an older verison of this and found the design super good, really good cable management features.
- Your first build VDU is NVIDIA G-Sync, so double check there's compatibility with the GPU because it's only recently that AMD/NVIDIA have started being compatible with each others offerings (ie FreeSync vs G-Sync)
- Double check your PSU wattage against the rest of the build.
- Spend the money on the screen; you're looking at it the most so its worth investing in.
- I'm jealous, I wanna upgrade too
Old 28th November 2019, 13:09     #3
Lightspeed

Ryzen 7 has a stock cooler. I think it's an all-in-one?

That's a nice case. For the cheaper machine, I'm not too fussed. I'll take a look around if the person I'm building it for decides to buy it.

For my machine I want a case I can seal up. I've done it before with great results. My current rig is seven years old and the dust is awful. Short regularly stripping it down and rebuilding it, there's always build up. So I need to hunt around to see if I can find a rig that isn't covered in vents. The last machine I sealed (animal filled, semi-rural home) I used hot glue and some kind of drainage filter fabric from Bunnings. It worked brilliantly. The outside of the machine was awful, but the inside was pristine.

Thanks for spotting the sync issue. I thought it was just a step down from the Titan Army 34G6R 34" WQHD, which I see is back in stock. It's worth it at only $100 more. I might got for that instead of the LG on the more expensive build. Any thoughts on curved screens? I'm going to have to sit down at one somewhere.

I need take a second look at PSUs, need to be sure I get something fully modular. I'll run a couple of different calculators, make sure I've got enough overhead.

Going to take another look at SSDs too.

Upgrading the PC, repairing the car instead of replacing it (again.)
Old 28th November 2019, 13:23     #4
Native
I... err - F*ck It.

Absolutely go for the curved screen. 30+ inches is had on your eyes without the curve.

Black Friday typically has lots of screens on a decent sale, otherwise, boxing day sales help too.
Old 28th November 2019, 14:09     #5
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

I'm not big on gaming, so my opinion is worth less than others, but I found that not all games support the newer/non-standard resolutions (especially older games), so you end up with either gross stretching, black bars/window mode or having to drop to a lower res with the right ratio. Newer games would likely support it, but sux if they don't.

Make sure you get a NVMe SSD with PCIe x 4 instead of SATA as your primary drive. There's usually only one NVMe slot, so I have a secondary SATA drive for more local space, and a big network share for everything else.

$1500 is a big chunk of cash for a monitor, if I was in your position I'd get something less extreme and put your money in the GPU instead. (Also, when you're in VR, the monitor is insignificant) I have a 1080 at home, and was perfectly happy with the 1050Ti in Wellington - I didn't notice much difference for Tekken and racing games! I didn't try VR with the 1050Ti though, I imagine it would be noticeable there. Paper/tech specs are one thing, but not everything pushes cards/computers to their limit, so you don't always gain as much as you're paying for.

I have a curved 27" Samsung widescreen, and a portrait mode Philips 24" that I use as my primary monitor (vertical res is great for productivity/web browsing, but curve is nice too). My Ryzen/1080 is off most of the time (hooked up to another port on my 27"), I use a silent i5 with onboard video that I got on TradeMe for $60 as my main machine! I expected the Ryzen to "change everything" like how upgrades used to be, but it was ultimately just a computer and I'm still the slowest part of the system.
Old 28th November 2019, 14:46     #6
Lightspeed

I realise I said 4k when I meant 2k, high FPS. 4k potentially I guess, but I'm looking at 2k screens that run high frame rates.

I'm just going to stick with my DK2 for VR for the meantime. I don't like the battery life on the Quest and the Vive is too pricey. Just need new peripherals.

The LG is very sexy, so it's tempting. But the Titan Army (?) is such a great price for the specs. And I need to be responsible. I'll probably need to repair the car again. I should just get a scooter.
Old 28th November 2019, 15:01     #7
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

What CPU/GPU are you currently using?
Old 28th November 2019, 15:08     #8
Lightspeed

The mobo I'm looking at has two M.2 sockets.

I think I'll go:
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
  • Intel 660p 1TB

Samsung for the OS, Intel for games.
Old 28th November 2019, 15:24     #9
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
What CPU/GPU are you currently using?
Currently? i5-3570k + GeForce 9400GT. My Radeon HD 7970 died just this week. Might be able to fix it by stripping and cleaning it.
Old 28th November 2019, 17:39     #10
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

According to the benchmarks, even the Ryzen 7 3700X is only ~35% faster (up to 4 cores) than your current CPU, and the 3600 is ~25% faster. I'm rocking the i5-3470 and I think they're awesome!

9400GT, booooo. No wonder you want a whole new computer... I've got a spare RX470 4GB if you want an NZG special. Save your money, fix your car, donate to a social service of your choice, or get some pro tier corn chips instead :P

Or not, I don't particularly care.
Old 28th November 2019, 17:53     #11
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

It's a single 8 pin PCI-E power connector if that has any bearing on whether you can use it (might need a new PSU).
Old 1st December 2019, 14:48     #12
Lightspeed

I'm good, but thanks.