Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Technology & Troubleshooting
User Name
Password

Old 28th February 2008, 13:19     #161
Markh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
We should have a big rumble between the iPhone and N95 guys.
That would hardly be fair on the iPhone guys
They don't even have GPS, they wouldn't know where they were.

One thing that always amuses me is the MS haters that use Apple. WTF, Apple are more proprietary and closed source than MS. I know I can play .avi and .flv and lots of other files on my N95, can the iPhone do that? I can also choose between thousands of 3rd party apps to install on my N95, what 3rd party apps can iPhone owners install? You can just drag and drop MP3s to the N95 without any software loaded on your PC then play them or use them as ringtones, you have to use the horrible itunes with an iPhone.

Factor in the 5MPix autofocus camera with Carl Zeiss lens with video capability and the ability to use bluetooth for hands free headsets, stereo headsets, keyboards, data sync and the standard 3.5mm headphone socket that you can easily plug any headphones into and the N95 really is streets ahead. The N95 also supports 3.5G.

Of course the iPhone looks good and has a cool touchscreen and the Apple fanboys will rush out to buy it. But for tech-head guys that don't go for form over function the N95 pisses all over the iPhone.
Old 28th February 2008, 15:01     #162
Yoda

Haven't used an n95 (own an n70 myself). Just set up an iphone for a friend.

I want one. The speed of the interface alone is enough for me to want one. My n70 drives me up the wall.

Web browsing is surprisingly usable. SDK not far away. Most of the other stuff people complain about using, I wouldn't use.
Old 28th February 2008, 16:12     #163
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markh
Of course the iPod looks good and has a cool touchwheel and the Apple fanboys will rush out to buy it. But for tech-head guys that don't go for form over function the Nomad pisses all over the iPod.
Old 28th February 2008, 23:12     #164
surreal

Bluewink

my iPhone is far from the perfect phone, lacks so much due to its focussed-simple gui.. e.g. save a draft of my txt message please? Oh i received a PXT i will ignore it completely.

But it is such a pleasure to use for most core functions, menus and typing are easy and web browsing and photos are fun. Its powerful as hell with games and the hoards of (mostly half-assed) third party apps.

With patches and fixes it will get bloody good. Hopefully can still use mine in its unlocked state.
Old 6th March 2008, 21:00     #165
PhX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom
Anyone know how to turn GPRS off on this thing? I googled but all I found was how to explain to your carrier what they need to do (with IMEI codes or whatever) - rather than something I can do myself. Any hacks around or anything? Data here is expensive and this thing likes to consume it :O
Hey dude have you sorted this? I am getting charged like 10c a text message even though I have txt2000. Sucking my credit to live!
Old 6th March 2008, 23:50     #166
surreal

GPRS, rather than EDGE? I'm probably missing the issue, but to turn EDGE off (which is definitely important), I installed iToggle, and the BSD subsystem (or something else that provides unix tools, which iToggle relies upon). It still sometimes randomly turns EDGE back on, I have to check it often...
Old 7th March 2008, 08:40     #167
PhX

Yeah i have got a plugin 'Services' but once i turn of Edge and go back to the main menu vodafone signal goes to 1 bar, then disapears, wait 10 seconds and its back to full (but with edge enabled). Odd... under edge in general/network i have just rubbish in the APN and same (rubbish) in the username/password. In Palmerston North.

Rather odd. Not sure if this is just affecting txt2000 or not. Might try someone elses sim. I am about 90% sure this is the issue that is disolving my credit lol.
Old 7th March 2008, 09:48     #168
Noodles
Wireless Slacker

I use BossPref on 1.1.3 to turn of GPRS. I got a huge bill last month due to data usage. The only time it turns it back on is when i do a hard reboot of the phone.
Old 7th March 2008, 22:07     #169
BassDemon

Good news for an Exchange admins that have cursed the iphone and it's imap syncing.

It's finally getting activesync support

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1246
Old 7th March 2008, 23:13     #170
PhX

Saw all that stuff that will be released for the firmware 2.0 update. Looks impressive but as others have stated there are a few things that i would like to see added to the software (yeah yeah know hardware is wizeak) like txt message save to draft, copy/paste, video, simple photo editing. This will all hopefully be address by the SDK ! choice!

I think i have capped the phone from doing whatever, used that app you said, disabled edge and i think (maybe!) it has stopped doing the gprs usage, that or the fact that i have no credit left has forced it to stop ha.
Old 31st March 2008, 10:32     #171
smudge
Ich Bin Ein Grey Lynner

Finally upgraded from 1.0.2 to 1.1.4 over the weekend. Had been a bit worried, because I had no idea of how parallel imported had unlocked it originally. The reviriginizing process sorted that. It's fairly amazing how simple the tools like Ziphone have made it to jailbreak and unlock.
Old 31st March 2008, 12:01     #172
FireStorm
Holmium

I'm keen to get one of these. Any update when it comes out besides "sometime 2008"?
Old 31st March 2008, 17:56     #173
smudge
Ich Bin Ein Grey Lynner

They have to public release details of any new phone to the FCC six months ahead of selling it, so it's going to be at least that long.
Old 31st March 2008, 20:35     #174
Phantom
May contain nuts

I turned GPRS off by calling vodafone and asking them to disable it three fucking times, useless pricks

Bit of a pain as sometimes i'd like to opt in to use it.
Old 1st April 2008, 11:44     #175
Ashley
Fuck up Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStorm
I'm keen to get one of these. Any update when it comes out besides "sometime 2008"?
Possibly end of June.
Old 1st April 2008, 12:23     #176
Noodles
Wireless Slacker

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...servative.html
Old 1st April 2008, 16:45     #177
Markh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom
I turned GPRS off by calling vodafone and asking them to disable it three fucking times, useless pricks

Bit of a pain as sometimes i'd like to opt in to use it.
I would agree, but when I think of what they charge per MB for casual users I decide that I really don't need to use it THAT much.

Seriously how can they charge $11.25 per MB? The fact that you can have a plan that gives you 3GB for $70 would suggest that it doesn't cost them 1% of $11.25 to provide 1MB of data. I think this attitude is just wrong - "only a casual user, lets throw on 10000% extra profit for you".
Old 28th April 2008, 19:51     #178
LFC

Has anyone succesfully gotten IMAP4 on the Iphone to work with Exchange Server 2007?

Typically I have been asked to set one of these up now by the CEO where I am contracting, I have told them that with the firmware 2.0 upgrade Activesynch will be available, but no they want it to work now!!

Anyway turned on IMAP on the exchange server, made sure the users account was allowed to use IMAP, entered the OMA server details in the IPhone but no go, user account and password but its not synching

Any ideas?
Old 28th April 2008, 20:18     #179
Caesar

Is the the iPhone officially going to come out in NZ or not?
There a final word on this?

C
Old 28th April 2008, 22:31     #180
Noodles
Wireless Slacker

Due in Australia in July apparently, no word on whether or not it'll make it here, but apparently it's illegal to sell locked phones in Australia, so Aussie iPhones will be unlocked.
Old 29th April 2008, 10:54     #181
orpheus
Jedi Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles
Due in Australia in July apparently, no word on whether or not it'll make it here, but apparently it's illegal to sell locked phones in Australia, so Aussie iPhones will be unlocked.

Just came from a meeting with our Vodafone account manager. According to him, Vodafone will not be tapping into the iPhone buzz anywhere globally. Apparently they are going down the new Blackberry 9000 path instead, which will use similar technology to the iPhone. They work fine on the Vodafone network, but they will never be supplying "network approved" devices to consumers.

of course things like this are always subject to change

Last edited by orpheus : 29th April 2008 at 10:58.
Old 29th April 2008, 11:14     #182
smudge
Ich Bin Ein Grey Lynner

lol at "using similar tech". vodafone are clueless about what makes the iphone what it is if they think someone else will be able to produce a comparable device by adding a touch screen.

The real problem with the iphone in nz is data plans, it's crippled compared to what it could be. After 6 months of owning one if there was the option to sell my soul to AT&T here, and get the unlimited data plans available in the states, I would jump at it.
Old 29th April 2008, 12:28     #183
orpheus
Jedi Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge
lol at "using similar tech". vodafone are clueless about what makes the iphone what it is if they think someone else will be able to produce a comparable device by adding a touch screen.

The real problem with the iphone in nz is data plans, it's crippled compared to what it could be. After 6 months of owning one if there was the option to sell my soul to AT&T here, and get the unlimited data plans available in the states, I would jump at it.

when i said similar tech i simply meant a touch screen BB of some kind. Take it anyway you like.
Old 29th April 2008, 21:18     #184
Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by orpheus
Just came from a meeting with our Vodafone account manager. According to him, Vodafone will not be tapping into the iPhone buzz anywhere globally.
Seems like an utterly retarded move IMO, they'd be losing out on a fuck-ton of business if they did this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orpheus
when i said similar tech i simply meant a touch screen BB of some kind. Take it anyway you like.
Ugh - I fucken dread the day.

Last edited by Genesis : 29th April 2008 at 21:20.
Old 29th April 2008, 21:28     #185
orpheus
Jedi Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis
Seems like an utterly retarded move IMO, they'd be losing out on a fuck-ton of business if they did this.
thats exactly what we said to him, and he agreed.
Old 29th April 2008, 21:45     #186
BassDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC
Has anyone succesfully gotten IMAP4 on the Iphone to work with Exchange Server 2007?

Typically I have been asked to set one of these up now by the CEO where I am contracting, I have told them that with the firmware 2.0 upgrade Activesynch will be available, but no they want it to work now!!

Anyway turned on IMAP on the exchange server, made sure the users account was allowed to use IMAP, entered the OMA server details in the IPhone but no go, user account and password but its not synching

Any ideas?
Not with Exchange 2007 but yes with Exchange 2003

You need to make sure the IMAP port you are using (143 for standard IMAP) is opened on the firewall and pointing to your Exchange server.

A quick test, on the Exchange server run "telnet localhost 143" from a command prompt.
that will prove IMAP is running

If that works then from outside the LAN try to telnet to port 143 on your MX record i.e "telnet mail.mydomain.co.nz 143"

There are several good guides online.

N.B - I'd only suggest using normal IMAP as a proof of concept. You should really think about secure IMAP (port 993) using certificates for production environments.
Old 29th April 2008, 21:50     #187
BassDemon

One other thing

After a server migration I was wrestling with an iphone for ages.
couldn't figure out why it would't get any Email.
All the settings on the phone and the server were sweet.

Finally realised that the phone was connected to the wireless on the LAN and not to the vodafone network.
Since there wasn't an A record to resolve mail.domain.co.nz to the Exchange server internally the phone was trying to talk to the public IP address from inside the LAN and being dropped by the firewall.

Swore quite a lot that day, espcially since the user told me over and over that it always worked when he was in the office which had always been impossible.
Old 30th April 2008, 00:00     #188
markE

Vodafone won' be getting the iphone here as it lost the rights globally i.e they were to greedy and Apple told them to kiss it. More change of seeing the Iphone on Telecom when they launch their GSM network.
Old 30th April 2008, 14:25     #189
Ashley
Fuck up Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by markE
Vodafone won' be getting the iphone here as it lost the rights globally i.e they were to greedy and Apple told them to kiss it. More change of seeing the Iphone on Telecom when they launch their GSM network.
Fat fucking chance.
Old 30th April 2008, 16:54     #190
markE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley
Fat fucking chance.
Why do you say that ? sources ?
Old 30th April 2008, 18:00     #191
Ashley
Fuck up Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by markE
Why do you say that ? sources ?
I had a little involvement in the D&D stage of the network before I left, and they were talking about sticking with 3 or 4 key brands and locking it down as the do with the cdma network.

Rogers here in Canada do the same thing and its fucking BALLS.
Old 30th April 2008, 21:47     #192
LFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassDemon
Not with Exchange 2007 but yes with Exchange 2003

You need to make sure the IMAP port you are using (143 for standard IMAP) is opened on the firewall and pointing to your Exchange server.

A quick test, on the Exchange server run "telnet localhost 143" from a command prompt.
that will prove IMAP is running

If that works then from outside the LAN try to telnet to port 143 on your MX record i.e "telnet mail.mydomain.co.nz 143"

There are several good guides online.

N.B - I'd only suggest using normal IMAP as a proof of concept. You should really think about secure IMAP (port 993) using certificates for production environments.
Cheers, only just read this.

Had already got to work, as you suggested using port 143 and SMTP on port 25 to send from the Iphone.

One tricky thing was I had to use domain name\email alias\login name as the user account details on the Iphone to log in, if I didn't it didn't recognize the account.

I am only contracting at this place, finish in 2 days so will have to leave it to the permanent administrator to look into using SSL, the CEO is happy for now.

I'e told them what I have done, I think they will probably just wait until the activesynch firmware update for the Iphone is out and then remove the IMAP setup I have put in.

Hopefully they don't get hacked in that time!

Last edited by LFC : 30th April 2008 at 21:50.
Old 6th May 2008, 19:00     #193
smudge
Ich Bin Ein Grey Lynner

tv3 just had a story saying vodafone had announced they had come to an agreement with apple to carry the iphone in nz. No release date thou.

Here's hoping for fucking decent data plans.
Old 6th May 2008, 19:00     #194
- Vexed -
Master Of The Obvious

Vodafone NZ will carry the new 3G iPhone later this year..

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp...&topicid=21777
Old 6th May 2008, 19:01     #195
smudge
Ich Bin Ein Grey Lynner

beaten :>
Old 7th May 2008, 09:14     #196
PhX

Yeah saw that vodafone had one a big contract for a heap of countries. Hopefully they push for the 3g version and man the data plan will cost a weeeeee bit! Is vodafone also going to push that new samsung touch phone too (or have it)? and i guess telecom might try get the new HTC Diamond for its new network to compete perhaps.
Old 14th May 2008, 13:05     #197
Ashley
Fuck up Ashley

How does one go about unlocking these?
Old 14th May 2008, 13:11     #198
[BT]Monza

You talking about the Samsung or iPhone?
Old 14th May 2008, 13:16     #199
joker999

wifi?
Old 14th May 2008, 13:23     #200
Ashley
Fuck up Ashley

The iphone. Like what programs to use etc? Can't find much other than commercial spam sites via google.