Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 2nd August 2008, 14:01     #1961
Haydos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
^ that's just a cop-out, something telecom like to do. instead of employing people like they used to do and provide people with a job to be proud of, they take on an employment agency who then employs rules such as not being able to converse with workmates when you're on the job. citel employees end up having to throw each other balls of secret notes scribbled on note paper.
Why would you employ 1500 New Zealanders to do a job for 15 million a year when you can employ a factory in China to produce to the same standards, for half the price and half the time.

It makes business sense, especially when you consider they're hit with a high overall tax rate, ontop of the 12.5% GST they have to charge their clients, not to mention the fact that their employees are ridiculously protected in NZ, despite them potentially being absolutely useless and destructive in what they do.
Old 2nd August 2008, 14:11     #1962
JP

I'm sure Haydos would think it'd be great if workers in NZ shared the same level of protection as those in China. It'd be better for all of us right? Gotta let the wealthy create more wealth. A fair wage, is what people are willing to pay you right?
Old 2nd August 2008, 14:19     #1963
Haydos

You make it sound like poor workers aren't overly protected, which is the attitude of someone who is a poor worker.
Old 2nd August 2008, 14:29     #1964
leadinjector

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
^ that's just a cop-out, something telecom like to do. instead of employing people like they used to do and provide people with a job to be proud of, they take on an employment agency who then employs rules such as not being able to converse with workmates when you're on the job. citel employees end up having to throw each other balls of secret notes scribbled on note paper.
its not a cop out, its business sense. if i was in a managers position and i could cut my costs by half by outsourcing why the fuck wouldnt I? especially if my rivals are doing it ebcause it would mean i am going under anyway.

makes me glad that what i do cant be farmed out to some chinese guy for 4 bucks an hour.
Old 2nd August 2008, 15:01     #1965
Redneck

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadinjector
makes me glad that what i do cant be farmed out to some chinese guy for 4 bucks an hour.
Famous last words
Old 2nd August 2008, 15:18     #1966
Spink

I've never seen a robot wear a t-shirt
Old 2nd August 2008, 15:19     #1967
Solvent

I don't want to be seen as endorsing MadMax's position, and I'm certainly not anti-globalisation.

But, the debate is more nuanced than simply 'eliminate labour regulation and things will be great'. There's plenty of literature out there indicating the importance of many other factors in the decision of where to locate capital, without denying the importance of low cost. These include limited social inequality, public safety, skilled labour, little poverty, social and political stability and democracy amongst others. Some (Kuhnle at least off the top of my head) argue there's no empirical evidence that the elimination of social protection and the increased insecurity of the workforce leads to more competitive labour and economic growth.

Others (again, that I can recall immediately, Thakur, Keen, Horvath & Cerra) argue relatively high levels of social security encourage risk taking economic behaviour. People are less likely to engage in potentially risk prone entrepreneurship and labour sector transferral if social security is heavily eroded.

No one can deny that low cost certainly underpins economic decision making, but there is balance to the notion that we should just start throwing out social protection and labour protection.
Old 2nd August 2008, 15:56     #1968
Haydos

It starts from the mothers who cut out coupons religiously and ensure they go to three different supermarkets to get the overall lowest value right through to us Tech Nerds who will shop around until we find the best price for what we want, right through to big business who are entitled to do the same thing.

You can't cure people wanting to save cost.
Old 2nd August 2008, 16:06     #1969
MadMax
Stuff

^ www.ascent.co.nz

service is the cure

Last edited by MadMax : 2nd August 2008 at 16:08.
Old 2nd August 2008, 16:10     #1970
Haydos

Bollocks, for every person you find who has remained loyal to ascent, I'll find you several who simply go to PriceSpy and find the cheapest deal going.

Until you stop people wanting the cheapest possible make of things, you won't stop globalisation.
Old 2nd August 2008, 16:14     #1971
Solvent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haydos
You can't cure people wanting to save cost.
Of course not.

But at the same time, businesses won't necessarily want to invest in an environment where there is little social investment and unskilled labour as a result, high social inequality, social instability and high crime levels. These factors generate an instable political situation that threatens their property rights.

Jamaica is currently wrestling with terrible social instability and political violence and is suffering from the withdrawl of international capital as we speak.

Eroding social investment and security won't necessarily guarantee a favourable investment climate, there's a balance to be struck.

Last edited by Solvent : 2nd August 2008 at 16:15.
Old 2nd August 2008, 16:33     #1972
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Why would you employ 1500 New Zealanders to do a job for 15 million a year when you can employ a factory in China to produce to the same standards, for half the price and half the time.
Because then $7.5 million goes overseas and out of our economy, and there are 1500 less jobs for NZers, meaning they are out of work and can not participate in our economy.

Immediate gain versus long term interests...

Try to look at the big picture, not just think about what is best only for yourself.
Old 2nd August 2008, 16:39     #1973
Haydos

God you're a tit.

Do you think businesses, who have stock holders, who are looking for profit, are thinking about the greater good of the economy? Especially when they feel that they're being screwed due to higher business operation costs.

Take Telecom, who have outsourced how many roles and are talking about another 150? Or Fisher and Paykel.

Do they do this because they are greedy? Maybe in part, but many businesses simply cannot compete by manufacturing in New Zealand, some of them have to go overseas just to compete in the New Zealand market.

Why? Because New Zealanders are looking for bargains.
Why? Because New Zealanders have low incomes compared to the rest of the OECD.
Old 2nd August 2008, 17:21     #1974
xor

Quote:
God you're a tit.

Do you think businesses, who have stock holders, who are looking for profit, are thinking about the greater good of the economy? Especially when they feel that they're being screwed due to higher business operation costs.

Take Telecom, who have outsourced how many roles and are talking about another 150? Or Fisher and Paykel.

Do they do this because they are greedy? Maybe in part, but many businesses simply cannot compete by manufacturing in New Zealand, some of them have to go overseas just to compete in the New Zealand market.

Why? Because New Zealanders are looking for bargains.
Why? Because New Zealanders have low incomes compared to the rest of the OECD.
Yes but do you see his point?
In comparison with the rest of the world I think nz has other advantages over other countries e.g. quality of life
Old 2nd August 2008, 17:40     #1975
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Bollocks, for every person you find who has remained loyal to ascent, I'll find you several who simply go to PriceSpy and find the cheapest deal going.

Until you stop people wanting the cheapest possible make of things, you won't stop globalisation.
i'd prefer to own a business that provided good service & local employment to one that could provide a cheaper price. 7/14 aint bad. fuck being an asshole that doesn't take care of those that are feeding you.

Last edited by MadMax : 2nd August 2008 at 17:43.
Old 2nd August 2008, 20:18     #1976
Draco T Bastard

Quote:
Probably true but there is one point you seem to be missing - NONE of the stores on Pricespy are external to NZ.

Quote:
What will stop globalisation will be globalisation - same as it did last time.
Old 3rd August 2008, 12:28     #1977
Reet

Woo hah. With no warning or preparation and fuck-all support it looks like I'm having to go 100%, no 'it's okay occasionally as long as I don't get another habit', clean.

I give it a couple of weeks before I jump off the roof.
Old 3rd August 2008, 13:02     #1978
Lightspeed

Huh, wah?
Old 3rd August 2008, 13:15     #1979
Draco T Bastard

US 12-year-old falls 55m down chimney, unhurt
Quote:
...though both her legs were broken.
Obviously, the NZHerald has a vastly different meaning to the word unhurt than everybody else.
Old 3rd August 2008, 13:24     #1980
Sp0nge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reet..translated by Sp0nge
Holy Fuck Batman!

Without warning,
nor time to contemplate my predicament...
and with fuck-all support:
it looks like I'm having to go 100% clean.

that means cold turkey
absolutely NO excuses
such as "it's okay occasionally as long as I don't get another habit"

I give it a couple of weeks before I cant take it any more
and either take them drugs
or learn to get hard.

Last edited by Sp0nge : 3rd August 2008 at 13:25.
Old 3rd August 2008, 13:26     #1981
CCS
Stunt Pants

o_O

You call that a translation?
Old 3rd August 2008, 13:28     #1982
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco T Bastard
US 12-year-old falls 55m down chimney, unhurt

Obviously, the NZHerald has a vastly different meaning to the word unhurt than everybody else.
She wasn't hurt by the fall down the chimney: It was the sudden stop at the end.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 3rd August 2008, 13:42     #1983
Sp0nge

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
You call that a translation?
yes.
from one form to another.

the vector version is still a work in progress
Old 3rd August 2008, 14:01     #1984
Jonas Undrawing

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
She wasn't hurt by the fall down the chimney: It was the sudden stop at the end.
Maybe they were trying to make this their "happy story". Girl falls down chimney, and a neighbour in a building down the street a ways apparently said that mystical soot fairies made the fall safe and unhurty.
Old 3rd August 2008, 14:06     #1985
Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos

They must have heard you crocos as they have now changed the title of the story.
Old 3rd August 2008, 14:35     #1986
MadMax
Stuff

buzzy. just found that my washing machine will resume from whatever it was doing after pulling out the power overnight
Old 3rd August 2008, 17:39     #1987
MadMax
Stuff

d{>.<}b

beware the reverse b
Old 4th August 2008, 04:28     #1988
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Whenever I hear a catchy pop song, one which stands out from the rest of the disposable record-company formula shit and which makes me go "hmm, that's a well-written bit of pop music", it inevitably turns out to have been written by Cathy Dennis.
Old 4th August 2008, 07:44     #1989
Nightcrawler

It's really pissing down in Auckland, and has been for hours now
I was all prepared to go to uni, but I really can't see myself walking through pouring rain and hefty wind to get to my bus (10-15 minute walk), and then sit around soaking wet for hours
Old 4th August 2008, 08:50     #1990
Helious

I felt that way.. Had to leave the house at 6:40am.. was bucketing down around 6:30am. By the time I stepped out of the house it had stopped and I'm at work now and it still hasn't resumed.

I owned the rain this morning.
Old 4th August 2008, 10:12     #1991
Cyberbob

I'm looking at going to Pacific Island #1251™ around June next year, and I can't decide which one.

What kind of experiences have people had with Vanuatu? Any places you'd recommend?
Old 4th August 2008, 10:15     #1992
Fx.

i loved fiji, jin tells me raro is awesome tho!

holy god four weeks drags on when its your notice till job finishes and you leave the country D:
Old 4th August 2008, 10:16     #1993
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Whenever I hear a catchy pop song, one which stands out from the rest of the disposable record-company formula shit and which makes me go "hmm, that's a well-written bit of pop music", it inevitably turns out to have been written by Cathy Dennis.
'Toxic'.. 'Can't Get You Out of My Head'.. more recently 'I Kissed a Girl'

Holy crap you're right
Old 4th August 2008, 10:17     #1994
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx.
i loved fiji, jin tells me raro is awesome tho!

holy god four weeks drags on when its your notice till job finishes and you leave the country D:
I liked Fiji too, but it seems a little cookie cutter and it's the only pacific island i've ever been to... i want something better/different. Might make a topic?

Last edited by Cyberbob : 4th August 2008 at 10:18.
Old 4th August 2008, 10:19     #1995
Fx.

depends what you do, we spent a lot of time wandering around the proper towns / cities rather than just hanging out in the tourist areas / resort

was intersting

edit: but yeah if you've already been there may as well test somewhere else
Old 4th August 2008, 10:31     #1996
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Thumbs up

Woohoo my piston and cylinder head kit for my scooter arrived finally.

Time to crank up the old beast again, for some 50cc twist-and-go action!
Old 4th August 2008, 12:40     #1997
crocos

http://tehlulz0r.w00tah.org/

You may want to use earphones if at work.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 4th August 2008, 12:52     #1998
Draco T Bastard

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/2/...ectid=10525140
Quote:
"I fail to understand why God was so cruel to us," he said.
/facepalm
Old 4th August 2008, 23:00     #1999
ChaosWulf
Don't worry, be harpy

Didn't get your own birthday thread this year, Nahaz - but happy birthday nonetheless. Wherever you are
Old 4th August 2008, 23:08     #2000
blynk

oh no. 2000. Everything is going to crash and burn.