Old 21st December 2020, 12:40     #601
Lightspeed

Questions raised after police officers stop youths to take their photos
Old 9th March 2021, 10:12     #602
Lightspeed

More indepth article on the same subject:

Police using app to photograph innocent youth

Quote:
It's been hailed by police as an alternative to hefty paperwork and has been used by more than 9000 officers since its inception.
I think it's been forgotten that there's a reason policing is support to have hurdles and barriers. It's not supposed to be easy to police.
Old 9th March 2021, 11:17     #603
Lightspeed

*supposed to have hurdles...
Old 9th March 2021, 19:15     #604
fixed_truth

It comes across as intimidation imo. Also every kid photographed is gonna think (or reinforce) that cops are dicks.
Old 15th April 2021, 16:22     #605
Lightspeed

If I recall cyc took issue with some judges too.

This judge is quite something to be sure:

The court said she was lying about being abused. She did a year on home detention. She wasn't lying

But I'm totally sure no junior female staff member ever had any problem with this judge throughout their career as a lawyer.
Old 15th April 2021, 16:54     #606
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/...ruled-unlawful

Quote:
A bogus checkpoint run by the police to obtain details of euthanasia supporters was unlawful, the police watchdog has ruled.

About 50 vehicles were stopped at the checkpoint in Lower Hutt, seven of them containing people who had been at an Exit International meeting.

Police were investigating a possible suicide at the time, and were seeking evidence to support a prosecution of Exit International member Susan Austen for assisting with that.

Police later visited some of the people they had stopped, saying they were concerned about their welfare.
OH WELL THAT SOUNDS PERFECTLY FINE
Old 3rd October 2021, 18:11     #607
Lightspeed

Exclamation

Auckland man wrongly arrested, injured and stripped by police still searching for justice 29 months on

Quote:
It was an evening that began with a couple of quiet drinks with a friend, and ended with him being unlawfully arrested and detained.

In between, his truck was searched without a warrant, his dogs were impounded, and he was roughed up with such excessive force by police that he suffered a concussion and required hospital care.

He was also wrongly strip-searched; his pleas to keep his underwear on ignored, the elastic waistband on his boxers pulled so hard it snapped, his private parts touched to an extent he felt violated and degraded.

Police would later drop all charges against Bond and apologise for the way he was treated that night, admitting officers got it badly wrong in multiple ways and breached his rights.

But 29 months on - and despite police upholding his complaint - Bond is still searching for answers.
Quote:
"They had a grope and a prod around and really excessively rubbed my c**k and balls and arse… Before then, no man had ever played with my arse, my balls.

"I had four of them hold me up against the wall and rip my undies off me - like, that's pretty serious. I don't know how they managed to, but to snap the elastic [waistband] off, they were real aggressive."

He alleges it amounts to sexual assault, though police are "very confident" this is not the case, telling Newshub the claim had been looked into by a Senior Detective from the Adult Sexual Assault Team.
Quote:
When he was pulled over in a traffic stop last year, for instance, he immediately got his phone out so he could film the exchange. He told the sergeant about his last run-in with police, and explained he felt he'd been sexually assaulted.

"Well, you are a good-looking man," the sergeant replied.
Fucking. Hell.
Old 3rd June 2022, 20:18     #608
Lightspeed

Alan Hall's controversial murder conviction set to be quashed after 36 years

Quote:
Some of the most crucial evidence came from Ronald Turner, who saw a man running near the Eastons’ home at the time of the attack. He consistently told police in numerous statements that the man he saw coming from the direction of the crime was Māori and “definitely dark-skinned, he was not white”.

Bizarrely, Turner was not called to give evidence by the prosecution at Hall’s 1986 trial, with his written statement being read to the jury instead.

However, all mentions that the man he saw was Māori had been deliberately removed from the statement, without Turner being consulted or advised.

In addition, his statements to police, noting the man’s ethnicity or race, were not given to Hall’s lawyers.
How did this get missed in every review of the case? Or why was it ignored?
Old 8th June 2022, 11:44     #609
Lightspeed

facepalm

Cops caught planning to deceive during murder investigation

Quote:
In March 2009, two detectives wanting to interview Fawcett regarding Manning’s murder, arrived unannounced at Waikeria Prison where he was being held on other charges, and asked to meet him.

Fawcett initially refused.

The detectives were then caught on the covert recorder secreted on one of them, discussing how they could get Fawcett to come up from his cell. One officer suggested they tell a prison guard to inform Fawcett, “That it’s vitally important for this man’s own, his safety, his life. And I reckon we just f.....g lie.”

One detective then proposed telling Fawcett there were, “Two or three people that f.....g, want to f.....g kill his ass,” in order to get him to provide them with information.

While they waited, one officer seemed frustrated by the delay in meeting Fawcett: “F.....g hell, they just used to drag these c....s up screaming and fighting.”
Old 7th September 2022, 17:56     #610
Lightspeed

facepalm

Dog walker raised alarm after body found in burnt-out car mistaken for animal

Quote:
A police spokesperson said due to the condition of the vehicle and debris from the fire, police “did not immediately identify that human remains were in the cabin of the car” when staff attended.

It was only when police were again called to the scene two days later that a “subsequent inspection” revealed “suspected human remains”.