NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > Games and Mods > Console Forum
User Name
Password

Old 9th September 2010, 12:29     #1
ala*

ps3 broke.. ideas?

wont turn on , flicks on for 1/2 a sec, gives 3 beeps and ends up with a flashing red light. apparently this is a non specific hardware prob according to sony folks.

unfortunately someones removed the warranty sticker (its never been opened up though). its 1.5 years old anyway so its out of warranty.

sony are quoting $350 to cover it... i said f u at this stage, quoting CGA and a few words about expected time of reasonable use of the device, supervisor to call me back

i reckon its pretty dusty inside and may have overheated. was considering taking it apart myself and blowing it out, maybe swapping the hd out to test. maybe a fan is stuck or something.

ideas? should i just cough up the 350? seems like ALOT when i can spend 600 and get a slim or even less and get another 2nd hand fat.

hmm.
Old 9th September 2010, 13:17     #2
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ala*
sony are quoting $350 to cover it... i said f u at this stage, quoting CGA and a few words about expected time of reasonable use of the device, supervisor to call me back
^^ This... don't do anything until their supervisor has called back - no way that a console a year and a half old shouldn't get coverage under the CGA.

Pixie
Old 9th September 2010, 13:17     #3
cEvin
Love In Vein

I've heard from someone that this guy: http://www.modman.co.nz/ does some decent repairs for cheap, might be worth checking out?
Old 9th September 2010, 13:43     #4
ala*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cEvin
I've heard from someone that this guy: http://www.modman.co.nz/ does some decent repairs for cheap, might be worth checking out?
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by modman.co.nz
YLOD: $80.00 (if fixable)
1-2 days depending on workload
There is NO CHARGE if it can't be fixed and I also don't charge to take a look at it.
this sounds pretty good actually. dont like my chances with sony tbh :/
Old 10th September 2010, 11:09     #5
eliot

Why don't you fancy your chances? As much as I hate the CGA from my time spent working in retail, it definitely covers this sort of thing and you should take advantage of that fact. It is worded in such a way that it can be applied and interpreted on a case by case basis, and in my opinion you are covered. I am not sure if that warranty sticker actually means anything but it would be worth checking with the ComCom IMO! Just my 2c...good luck!
Old 10th September 2010, 12:20     #6
Nuclear

My brothers PS3 got a YLOD out of warranty. Gave them CGA stuff, and that the consumers institute of NZ suggests that a computer should have an estimated 8 year life. And that some guy had already won a court case against sony for a similar thing.
They fixed it for free.
Old 13th September 2010, 12:54     #7
ala*

well they finally called back. yep they will fix it if i produce some form of a proof of payment. woop. wonder how many suckers pay that $350
Old 13th September 2010, 15:19     #8
BadNova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear
My brothers PS3 got a YLOD out of warranty. Gave them CGA stuff, and that the consumers institute of NZ suggests that a computer should have an estimated 8 year life. And that some guy had already won a court case against sony for a similar thing.
They fixed it for free.
yeah same here.