NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 29th August 2013, 12:04     #38041
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Thats a very expensive way to browse the web.
Old 30th August 2013, 23:46     #38042
mpx

Are there any super cheap versions of kindles around? Like, ultra super cheap? I have a few ebooks I want to read while at work/lunch and a smartphone just doesn't cut it.
Old 30th August 2013, 23:58     #38043
Spink

use the printer at work
Old 31st August 2013, 00:00     #38044
mpx

I don't want to carry around a book, that's for nerds.
Old 31st August 2013, 00:29     #38045
CCS
Stunt Pants

How cheap is super cheap?
TradeMe is probably your best bet. Otherwise, get an ultra cheap chingpong tablet.
Old 31st August 2013, 00:33     #38046
Spink

probably trying b/s/e on nzg maybe works
Old 31st August 2013, 00:34     #38047
CCS
Stunt Pants

Buy a Pebble *snort*
Old 31st August 2013, 00:56     #38048
mpx

Super cheap like $50, because I'm broke as shit. I looked on TradeMe and it seems like Kindles were three times the price of that, and I don't really know much about ebook readers to look at the other ones.

I couldn't get the physical copies of the books over here so I had to get the ebooks. They're studies and stuff for my other 'stuff' that will help me understand even further stuff so I'm keen to read it and learn stuff.

It's okay in the weekend because I found this pretty sweet ebook reader for Chrome, but it has like tasks and stuff so I can't just read it all in one day, so during the week I'll have to use my phone.

stuff
Old 31st August 2013, 01:57     #38049
Spink

I'm sure GT has like 8 kindles that were replaced by the newer model
Old 31st August 2013, 02:02     #38050
CCS
Stunt Pants

Convert to epub with Calibre and buy a cheapo off-brand e-reader?
Old 31st August 2013, 17:44     #38051
mpx

How big are the 6" e-readers? Are they a decent size for light reading?
Old 31st August 2013, 18:03     #38052
CCS
Stunt Pants

I think so. Six inches diagonally, it's about the same as your standard paperback book, more or less. I prefer the hell out of it to physical books.
Old 31st August 2013, 19:02     #38053
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spink
I'm sure GT has like 8 kindles that were replaced by the newer model
Nope:

We had one original Kindle DX and have since had:
4 iPad 1s
2 iPad 2s
1 iPad 3.

Still have 2 x iPad 1, 1 x iPad 2, and 1 x iPad 3 in use plus keeping the other iPad 2 spare in case of emergency. Gave the other 2 x iPad 1s to family.

I can't see I'm ever going to own another Kindle; if I was given one I'd arrange to discretely dispose of it. There's nothing wrong with them - Iit's just the iPad is better for our purposes.
Old 31st August 2013, 19:15     #38054
mpx

I just went to JB HiFi and The Warehouse to look at the Kobo and Kindle, the Kindle was parallel imported and said the ads on it won't be for NZers, I'm thinking - I don't want ads at all! The kobo had touch screen too which was nice. Other than that I didn't see much difference between them. There was a Sony one there too, but I didn't much care for that.

I only want one of these over an iPad purely because of the battery issue and I like to read out in the sun, neither my S3 or my previous copious iPhones did well in direct sunlight, so unless the iPads have some super brightness without draining the battery I think my only option is a kindle type reader.

...otherwise I would get an iPad because you can get pressure sensitive styluses for them and do amazing paintings! for example:
http://www.ipadcreative.com/storage/...=1302470941745

Shit, am I selling the iPad to myself now? Goddamnit.
Old 31st August 2013, 19:24     #38055
MoP

You can register with Amazon and give them like $15, and the ads are gone
Old 31st August 2013, 22:03     #38056
Spink

Also the ads aren't that intrusive from what I've heard, just on the lock screen or something.
Old 31st August 2013, 22:12     #38057
Delphinus

I have a Kobo and I love it. Used to have the touch and then sold that to my brother and got the Glo. Love the backlight. Love the battery life. Love the sunlight readability.
TBH there isn't much difference between the kobo and the kindle.
Old 31st August 2013, 23:02     #38058
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoP
You can register with Amazon and give them like $15, and the ads are gone
You can also hack the ads off if you feel like it - Kindles run Linux.
Old 1st September 2013, 03:08     #38059
Spink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpx
I just went to JB HiFi and The Warehouse to look at the Kobo and Kindle, the Kindle was parallel imported and said the ads on it won't be for NZers, I'm thinking - I don't want ads at all! The kobo had touch screen too which was nice. Other than that I didn't see much difference between them. There was a Sony one there too, but I didn't much care for that.

I only want one of these over an iPad purely because of the battery issue and I like to read out in the sun, neither my S3 or my previous copious iPhones did well in direct sunlight, so unless the iPads have some super brightness without draining the battery I think my only option is a kindle type reader.

...otherwise I would get an iPad because you can get pressure sensitive styluses for them and do amazing paintings! for example:
http://www.ipadcreative.com/storage/...=1302470941745

Shit, am I selling the iPad to myself now? Goddamnit.
Did the work for you bro, http://store.apple.com/nz/buy-ipad/i...A&step=engrave

Just pick an engrave (something that helps lost and found is usually a good idea) and add to cart.
Old 1st September 2013, 10:49     #38060
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Those Kobos are only $69 at JB HiFi for the 5" screen. Don't worry about screen size, because any book with fixed formatting (PDFs) looks shit on anything other than the giant Kindle DX anyway. If you're just reading literature, as opposed to technical manuals with diagrams, a 5" screen will be fine because you can still read it in the sun, and it's $69.
Old 1st September 2013, 13:25     #38061
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

1999 - year of the Linux desktop

My name is Simon Garlick, and I recently installed Red Hat Linux on my laptop, a Dell Inspiron 3200. After some tweaking Linux has become the main operating system on my laptop. While I have Microsoft Windows 98 installed on a separate partition, I am so happy with Linux that I spend less and less time in Windows every week. My efforts to get Linux running successfully have been assisted greatly by advice I found on the Internet from other Inspiron and Linux users, and I decided to post an account of my installation just in case it helps someone else. Good luck, and have fun!

System:

Dell Inspiron 3200
80Mb SDRAM
Fujitsu MHC2040-AT 4.0 Gb Ultra-ATA hard disk
Crystal Sound CS4236 sound card/controller
NeoMagic 128XV 2Mb video card
Toshiba XM1702B ATAPI CDROM drive
FuFMe Genital Drive Model M
3com 3c575 PCMCIA network card
Psion Gold Card V.90 PCMCIA modem
Old 1st September 2013, 19:56     #38062
MadMax
Stuff

yeah, the rest of us found that decades ago
Old 2nd September 2013, 10:03     #38063
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpx
Are there any super cheap versions of kindles around? Like, ultra super cheap? I have a few ebooks I want to read while at work/lunch and a smartphone just doesn't cut it.
Kobo mini - Noel Leeming Birthday special - $40. (Yeah - I paid $50 two weeks ago...)

I got another one to hack. Hang it off a linux box, issue an SQL command, and you don't need to register it - then just load it up with books.
Old 3rd September 2013, 16:53     #38064
MadMax
Stuff

Ok who's the gimp that dug up the wrong cable in Napier today
Old 3rd September 2013, 17:01     #38065
CCS
Stunt Pants

More importantly, who gives a fuck?
Old 3rd September 2013, 17:07     #38066
StN
I have detailed files

Puts hand up (for fuck giving, not diggering).

Redundant routes FTW.
Old 3rd September 2013, 17:13     #38067
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
yeah, the rest of us found that decades ago
Someone inevitably posts it here every few years or so.
Old 3rd September 2013, 17:25     #38068
p01s0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Someone inevitably posts it here every few years or so.
someone find the macbook post which is basically along the exact same lines only with less sperglordery
Old 5th September 2013, 00:02     #38069
CCS
Stunt Pants

I don't know if anybody else has seen those gayfaggoty Tourism Wellington ads... the ones that are trying to say that if you can't beat Wellington on a good day, then every day in Wellington is a good day.

Well... I just can't help but be reminded about something by those ads... what was it...

Old 5th September 2013, 01:17     #38070
?>Superman

Devil grin

Another shake
Old 5th September 2013, 11:17     #38071
Cyberbob

Any good iOS apps for comic books

I really want to read a few key books digitally.
Old 5th September 2013, 14:13     #38072
Lightspeed

For the stringent "it's medicine or it's bullshit" crowd, what do you make of this osteopath being charged for sexual assault for inappropriate/unnecessary touching as part of the treatment?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post...osteopath-case

This quote stands out:

Quote:
If Davis was not touching her for medical reasons then her consent was not fully informed and Davis might be found guilty of the charge relating to that incident, the judge said.
Give osteopathy is alternative/non-medicine, I wonder if the consent from all his clients could be considered "not fully informed".

Last edited by Lightspeed : 5th September 2013 at 14:14.
Old 5th September 2013, 15:03     #38073
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Give osteopathy is alternative/non-medicine
"Bullshit" is the word you're after there Lightspeed my ol' chum.

Anything other than ragingly guilty on that one will be a very sad outcome indeed.

Refer also:

Old 5th September 2013, 16:19     #38074
Lightspeed

Well, no strong argument from me. But don't you find it a bit funny how it's being treated in this court case? It seems the court assumes osteopathy is a legitimate medical treatment.

I mean, if I open an office offering a non-medical health service, someone comes in and I say take off your kit, Ima grab your boobs and you take off your kit and let me grab your boobs, how is that a crime? It just seems weird the word "medicine" is used at all in the case.
Old 5th September 2013, 16:45     #38075
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I presume it turns on the intent of the accused. If he genuinely thought that he was performing some sort of therapeutic treatment while humping the patient's leg, then I guess there's no crime. If he told the patient that it was treatment while he actually just wanted to hump her leg because he liked doing it, that's a paddlin.
Old 5th September 2013, 16:46     #38076
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

Dismissing delusional behaviours is very un-PC in todays day and age, it would seem.

Pretty open and shut in my opinion. Not in others opinions, obviously.

"Hold on love, I'm gonna shoot on your back and presto, your ingrown toenail will be healed! OH GOD IT'S A MIRACLE!! OH GOD OH GOD"
Old 5th September 2013, 17:00     #38077
p01s0n

anyone from christchurch wanna be a sick cunt and give forums superstar poison pie a lift from the airport to cbd on saturday night around midnight?

chur
Old 5th September 2013, 17:19     #38078
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by p01s0n
anyone from christchurch wanna be a sick cunt and give forums superstar poison pie a lift from the airport to cbd on saturday night around midnight?

chur
Dang - I would but I am tied up with a family affair (wifes birthday drama).
Old 5th September 2013, 17:25     #38079
p01s0n

alternatively: is there a bus or train or some high speed rail or something from airport to cbd?
Old 5th September 2013, 17:28     #38080
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I presume it turns on the intent of the accused. If he genuinely thought that he was performing some sort of therapeutic treatment while humping the patient's leg, then I guess there's no crime. If he told the patient that it was treatment while he actually just wanted to hump her leg because he liked doing it, that's a paddlin.
Yeah, that makes sense. Osteopathy does seem the practice one would invent if one wanted to get their grope on but make out like it's some health treatment.