Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 22nd November 2011, 10:38     #201
CCS
Stunt Pants

Maggie Barry 'spat at' on Shore
Quote:
National Party North Shore candidate Maggie Barry is trying to play down being spat at in Devonport and being harangued by customers at a cafe.

A witness told the Herald Ms Barry appeared shaken after being "spat at the foot" outside New World while campaigning this month.

The shopper, who did not want to be named, said a man who was "clearly not fond of National" refused to shake Ms Barry's hand, then spat in front of her.
Ms Barry was told by customers at the Little & Friday cafe in Belmont last Saturday that she and her supporters were not welcome because it was "red", according to the community paper.
Sad, nasty. Lefties know that National will win and will probably be able to govern alone. So now their little minds are exploding and they're lashing out. It just makes people hate them even more.
Old 22nd November 2011, 10:59     #202
Farmer Joe
Word To Your Motherboard!

facepalm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10767838

This sort of rubbish, combined with the stunt of the Greens in defacing the billboards, makes the choice rather clear this election: vote left and support blatant lawlessness and get a dose of their rabid supporters for enjoyment also.

I won't be abstaining in the upcoming elections any more.
I'm glad you're basing your vote on a careful analysis of party policy.
Old 22nd November 2011, 11:06     #203
Baxton

claiming you are voting soley on policy makes you look just as ill-informed imo.
both parties have their share or bad policy. in fact it is why a lot of people seem so uncertain this year.

surely having read up on policy, then deciding to abstain, only to come back when crazy "your child will die" antics and sticker smear campaigns by one side swing your vote, is not that silly?
Old 22nd November 2011, 11:10     #204
CCS
Stunt Pants

Labour have been so incompetent as the opposition party, there's no way they can be trusted to run the country.
Old 22nd November 2011, 11:10     #205
IoriDyson

center left, center right... its basically the same govt david... good thing nothing serious is going on.

im gonna vote labour, but ive got nothing really against national. would be interesting to see national operating when the economy is healthy. but who ever wins, i think we will be ok...

what nz needs to be great is not a great govt, its great ppl and work force leaders with a young thriving entrepreneurial spirit. maybe a bit more support for start up companies (even tho its quite good already with mentors, tax breaks etc...) rambling...

i dunno, ppl just get far to heated up over this stuff, and when it gets petty it it gets retarded.
Old 22nd November 2011, 11:14     #206
Farmer Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxton
claiming you are voting soley on policy makes you look just as ill-informed imo.
both parties have their share or bad policy. in fact it is why a lot of people seem so uncertain this year.

surely having read up on policy, then deciding to abstain, only to come back when crazy "your child will die" antics and sticker smear campaigns by one side swing your vote, is not that silly?
Yeah, agreed. Making a decision on who to vote for should be based on a whole lot of things. I was merely pointing out that voting for a party based solely on a handful of stupid people/antics is a bit "silly".
Old 22nd November 2011, 11:24     #207
Juju
get to da choppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by IoriDyson
center left, center right... its basically the same govt david... good thing nothing serious is going on.

im gonna vote labour, but ive got nothing really against national. would be interesting to see national operating when the economy is healthy. but who ever wins, i think we will be ok...

what nz needs to be great is not a great govt, its great ppl and work force leaders with a young thriving entrepreneurial spirit. maybe a bit more support for start up companies (even tho its quite good already with mentors, tax breaks etc...) rambling...

i dunno, ppl just get far to heated up over this stuff, and when it gets petty it it gets retarded.
That's fine - as long as you are aware that a vote for labour in this election is also a vote for NZ First, The Mana Party, and the Greens as well.
Old 22nd November 2011, 11:27     #208
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by IoriDyson
I think that nearly everyone votes based on what THEY think is best for society. This involves a lot of subjective consideration about things like personal values, interests & concerns, priority of policies, possible outcomes of different policy/govts. etc etc etc

The whole vote for the party I like or you're an idiot line is a bit silly imo.
Old 22nd November 2011, 11:40     #209
Farmer Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juju
That's fine - as long as you are aware that a vote for labour in this election is also a vote for NZ First, The Mana Party, and the Greens as
well.
imo ACT is just as bad as NZ First (if not worse), I <3 the Greens and I think you meant the Maori party as Phil Goff said he wouldn't work with Mana in the debate last night.
Old 22nd November 2011, 11:42     #210
Furry Crew

I voted early on the weekend so I'm sick to death of all the election crap already. Specially this week that the rabid left are out in force. Had a Labour supporter shove his massive sign infront of my windscreen at a stop light today.

Do they think that would change people's minds...really? Really?? REALLY???

Last edited by Furry Crew : 22nd November 2011 at 11:46.
Old 22nd November 2011, 14:01     #211
cyc
Objection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Joe
Yeah, agreed. Making a decision on who to vote for should be based on a whole lot of things. I was merely pointing out that voting for a party based solely on a handful of stupid people/antics is a bit "silly".
Well, unfortunately for you that's not what I am doing. I've detailed my various disapproval of National and Labour here. Generally speaking I am socially nearly as left (the "left v right" thing are mentioned here purely for the ease of argument) as the Greens and Mana, for example, except that I oppose the nutty anti-science nutjobs, anti-capitalist brigade, union-cocksucking, and the other nutty things that this lot also believe in. But I am a social liberal who's against social conservatism, is pro gay-marriage, and Maori rights etc. Economically I favour the PRINCIPLES that National espouses but not its implementation.

In short, I basically will always vote either Labour or National or abstain. I was fully planning on abstaining but what's pushed me towards going to National is the kind of rubbish I detailed. Oh and nice try on blaming a few fringe people in the Greens for the defacing -- I mean, it's just like how the Young Greens trashed GE facilities, right? Nobody in the Greens ever secretly support such things -- really!

And voting National means voting for someone that will say "fuck you" to Winston Peters. That does it for me also.
Old 22nd November 2011, 18:19     #212
Farmer Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
*a whole lot of things*
Sounds like you're voting based on "a whole lot of things" to me. Nice work.
Old 22nd November 2011, 18:24     #213
A Corpse
talkative lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juju
That's fine - as long as you are aware that a vote for labour in this election is also a vote for NZ First, The Mana Party, and the Greens as well.
Sweet, four votes for one, and I get two so that makes eight!
Old 22nd November 2011, 18:33     #214
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furry Crew
Had a Labour supporter shove his massive sign infront of my windscreen at a stop light today.

Do they think that would change people's minds...really? Really?? REALLY???
Sadly enough, it probably would change the minds of some. It's all about getting mindshare with the wishy-washy-more-Charlie-Brown-than-me masses that really don't care about the political process, but might go along for a laugh.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 22nd November 2011, 20:22     #215
chubby

d'ya think those pics of paul goldsmith pulling up "vote goldsmith" signs worked the same way?
Old 22nd November 2011, 20:42     #216
crocos

Cunning

Uh... who?

(Yes. Those who actually care about the government and the politicians should have already had knowledge of the candidates in their electorate and have some idea what they stand for IMO. No need for the signs.)

Last edited by crocos : 22nd November 2011 at 20:44.
Old 10th December 2012, 15:53     #217
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

It's time for another public relations coup by everyone's favourite technically-ignorant borderline-illiterate Labour Spokesperson on IT, Telecommunications, and Open Government.

Story in a nutshell: furious at these fuckin' bloggers for having the nerve to criticise her for being, well, technically ignorant and borderline illiterate, Clare Curran has allegedly been spending her time trawling blogs like The Standard for critical comments, checking usernames, matching those against usernames of posts to the Labour party blog "Red Alert", which of course is now a "you must use a real email address to post here" beacon of openness, and matching those email addresses against the Labour membership database to uncover the real names and contact details of previously-pseudonymous commenters who are actually rank-and-file members of the Labour party. And then leaning on them to shut the fuck up or face internal disciplinary action for "bringing the Party into disrepute".

Lynn Prentice, admin of The Standard, just posted

Quote:
I’d advise anyone who has used a pseudonym on Red Alert that could compromise them in real life to expect problems. The system operators over there are quite compromised, don’t act responsibly, and have been that way for some time. Quite simply they are not operating in a way that makes it safe to leave comments there unless you have cast-iron anonymity.
More info:
http://yournz.org/2012/12/09/updates...n-clusterfuck/

/popcorn
Old 10th December 2012, 16:03     #218
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Whipped Labour members start bailing on The Standard after getting heavied:

http://thestandard.org.nz/open-mike-07122012

Now that's CONVICTION.
Old 10th December 2012, 16:33     #219
fixed_truth

Quote:
"you must use a real email address to post here"
I'm not sure how this could be enforced? Sounds like they used their everyday personal email in good faith and now it's being used against them. Would be interesting to know what legal obligations members have not to 'bring the Party into disrepute' and who decides what level of criticism entails this.

Also, (not an IT person here) what's to stop anyone from changing their nick and continuing to post at red alert etc?
Old 10th December 2012, 16:39     #220
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Well one could of course post under a different nick, with a different functional email address, and route through a proxy so Red Alert sees you as coming from a masked IP.

But why the fuck would you want to? And why the fuck should you have to?
Old 10th December 2012, 16:48     #221
ZoSo

I thought they'd all gone green-voting labour apologists, after crying about the the last election? (maybe that's just our lot here).
Sucks to be sucking on the tit I guess, otherwise they could tell her to get fucked.
Old 10th December 2012, 16:52     #222
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoSo
Sucks to be sucking on the tit I guess, otherwise they could tell her to get fucked.
Party members aren't paid - they're volunteers
Old 10th December 2012, 17:24     #223
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Imperator Fish attempts to use discretion:
Quote:
If a Labour MP really is trying to silence the party's online critics in the way being claimed, then that MP really has lost the plot and should probably think about finding another job, and fast. There is enough crap going on within the party, without some zealot with all the nuance of a suicide bomber trying to destroy everything around them for the greater good.

We should also consider the possibility that the MP in question (assuming there is a factual basis for these allegations) is very much out on his/her own and is in the process of being told by his/her fellow MPs that he/she is really quite a special class of fool, and should just shut his/her mouth, because look at the mess he/she has made. Again!
Old 10th December 2012, 17:32     #224
ZoSo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladin
Party members aren't paid - they're volunteers
They're lackeys of the highest order. I'm sure there's jobs involved somewhere in there. Unless it's just holding on for Cunliffe, that's sent them packing?
Old 10th December 2012, 17:37     #225
ZoSo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Imperator Fish attempts to use discretion:
in the update:

Quote:
It also seems that the Council took the proposal no further, no doubt because they thought the idea was completely barking mad.
Hilarious.
Old 10th December 2012, 18:13     #226
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
It also seems that the Council took the proposal no further
That does not seem to be the case, as at least one commenter at the Standard who is a Labour member is bailing after receiving a cease-and-desist letter.
Old 10th December 2012, 20:09     #227
CCS
Stunt Pants

elbows in lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose
Wow, some pretty strong hating going on on this page. Whatever your perception of some Labour MPs and your own ideals, just remember you are talking about/hating on another human being here, and as we have seen recently in the UK, disparagement of others can have nasty consequences.
Are you all so absolutely sure of your claims, accusations? Sure hope so.
Just noticing and just saying.
Lol, what a fucking moron.
Old 10th December 2012, 20:48     #228
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

There have been people who have tried to call me out for my observation that labour is evil; now, tell me true, can anyone seriously continue disagreeing?
Old 10th December 2012, 20:59     #229
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Teapot
There have been people who have tried to call me out for my observation that labour is evil; now, tell me true, can anyone seriously continue disagreeing?
Do not ascribe to malice what can be accounted for by sheer stupidity.

Old 11th December 2012, 10:20     #230
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Curran confirms the story, reverts to type, tries to control the message, describes herself as being "attacked online".

http://yournz.org/2012/12/11/curran-...ns-unanswered/
http://www.odt.co.nz/news/dunedin/23...online-critics