Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 1st December 2014, 16:42     #3961
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Yeah, and when the National govt does something to increase the ways in which NZ engages with, say, the USA - number 8 on the per-capita list - that's always met with such universal approval.
You mean when National kowtows to the US government? I'd rather the Lange approach.
Old 1st December 2014, 16:48     #3962
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
You mean when National kowtows to the US government? I'd rather the Lange approach.
Telling them to get fucked and then getting dropped from the Xmas-card list for a generation? yeah, that's engagement 101, no question.
Old 1st December 2014, 16:54     #3963
CCS
Stunt Pants

Old 1st December 2014, 16:59     #3964
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

collective active problems
collective action problems

both are just weasel words
Old 1st December 2014, 17:02     #3965
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Telling them to get fucked and then getting dropped from the Xmas-card list for a generation? yeah, that's engagement 101, no question.
Gee, if only NZ had the option to engage with, say, the rest of the world instead worshipping the US?

I suppose it's moot at this point, either way we're fucked short of a technological miracle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rince
Like the word "society" is eh, AMIRITE Margaret?!
Old 1st December 2014, 17:47     #3966
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Gee, if only NZ had the option to engage with, say, the rest of the world instead worshipping the US?
Who gives a fuck about the rest of the world? 40 percent of the world's greenhouse emissions come from two countries. Engage with them.
Old 1st December 2014, 18:00     #3967
Lightspeed

Yeah, engage with with them, with the rest of the world at our back. But we've got no authority to offer any leadership while we're have some of the highest emissions per capita in the world.
Old 1st December 2014, 18:00     #3968
Nothing

Quote:
NZ could be a world leader in both these regards. But we're not.
This. A thousand times this.
Old 1st December 2014, 18:03     #3969
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rince
collective active problems
collective action problems

Go and do some fucking research, you ignoramus.
Old 1st December 2014, 18:06     #3970
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Yeah, engage with with them, with the rest of the world at our back. But we've got no authority to offer any leadership while we're have some of the highest emissions per capita in the world.
By "highest" you mean "in thirty-fifth place", right? Fuckin' BERMUDA has higher per-cap CO2 emissions than New Zealand.
Old 1st December 2014, 18:15     #3971
Nothing

You know, 33rd place, out of what, 196 countries? So, like, 85% of the nations of the world have lower per capita emissions than us.

Say it with me, motherfucker, "NZ could be a world leader".
Old 1st December 2014, 18:24     #3972
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing
Go and do some fucking research, you ignoramus.
You keep going on about your collective action problems and shouting down anybody who doesn't instantly concede to your amazing argument winner, but so far you seem to be unwilling to actually explain what you're on about. Maybe instead moaning about how ignorant everyone else is, you could actually expand on what you mean rather than just saying COLLECTIVE ACTION PROBLEMS over and over.
Old 1st December 2014, 18:42     #3973
Nothing

Fair call bro. Here's some reading for you, since you asked so nicely.

http://www.garretthardinsociety.org/...e_commons.html

Or if you want the short version:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collective_action
Old 1st December 2014, 18:45     #3974
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
You know, 33rd place, out of what, 196 countries? So, like, 85% of the nations of the world have lower per capita emissions than us.
Take a look at those countries lower than us on the list and tell me what most of them have in common.
Old 1st December 2014, 18:51     #3975
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Fair call bro. Here's some reading for you, since you asked so nicely.

http://www.garretthardinsociety.org/...e_commons.html

Or if you want the short version:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collective_action
If you can't sum up your argument succintly, I gather it's not a worthwhile one.
Old 1st December 2014, 18:53     #3976
Nothing

If you can't be bothered reading the content of either of those links, I gather you weren't really interested in the answer to the question you asked.
Old 1st December 2014, 18:54     #3977
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Take a look at those countries lower than us on the list and tell me what most of them have in common.
Do enlighten me, O wise one, what do they have in common?
Old 1st December 2014, 19:08     #3978
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
If you can't be bothered reading the content of either of those links, I gather you weren't really interested in the answer to the question you asked.
Umm... you're the one trumpeting an argument that you're having trouble articulating. It's in your interest to put forward the argument coherently - it's not up to me to do it for you. I guess you don't have that much confidence in your argument?
Old 1st December 2014, 19:25     #3979
pxpx

"Collective action is traditionally defined as any action taken together by a group of people whose goal is to enhance their status and achieve a common objective. It is enacted by a representative of the group. It is a term that has formulations and theories in many areas of the social sciences including psychology, sociology, anthropology, political science and economics."

That's cool, so why should we vote greens again?
Old 1st December 2014, 19:26     #3980
Nothing

It's all there in those links, coherently articulated as you please. It's certainly well within my ability to articulate it if I so choose, but I see no reason why I should duplicate effort explaining it to you, when it's all explained in those links perfectly clearly. I say again - you're not really interested in the answer. If you were, you'd be reading right now.
Old 1st December 2014, 19:27     #3981
Nothing

pxpx - you want the section of that article labelled "collective action problems".
Old 1st December 2014, 19:34     #3982
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Do enlighten me, O wise one, what do they have in common?
They're third-world shitholes. Not having the carbon footprint of a wealthy industrialised western country seems to mysteriously go hand in hand with not being a wealthy industrialised western country. Which is where I'm guessing you and I both want to live.
Old 1st December 2014, 19:52     #3983
Nothing

Oh right, so, like, Sweden, for instance, 24 places further down the list from NZ? Yeah, they're pretty third world.

My point, here, in case you are missing it, is that there is more we could be doing, and we have no good reason not to be doing it.

Last edited by Nothing : 1st December 2014 at 19:53.
Old 1st December 2014, 19:55     #3984
Lightspeed

Well, one good reason. We've accepted we're fucked and we're doing our best to ride it out with a smile.
Old 1st December 2014, 20:00     #3985
Nothing

^not a good reason.
Old 1st December 2014, 20:20     #3986
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
It's all there in those links, coherently articulated as you please. It's certainly well within my ability to articulate it if I so choose, but I see no reason why I should duplicate effort explaining it to you, when it's all explained in those links perfectly clearly. I say again - you're not really interested in the answer. If you were, you'd be reading right now.
Oh right. So, as per your name, you've got nothing. Your argument is a lot of frothing at the mouth.
Old 1st December 2014, 20:20     #3987
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Oh right, so, like, Sweden
Ladies and gentlemen, Asperger Syndrome
Old 1st December 2014, 20:51     #3988
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Quote:
Oh right, so, like, Sweden, for instance, 24 places further down the list from NZ? Yeah, they're pretty third world.
I wonder is this is related to the problem they have of the sun being invisible for parts of the year? Actually, I don't need to wonder - I thought everyone knew this already.

You're not even try are you? Come back with a proper example please.
Old 1st December 2014, 21:06     #3989
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Teapot
I wonder is this is related to the problem they have of the sun being invisible for parts of the year? Actually, I don't need to wonder - I thought everyone knew this already.

You're not even try are you? Come back with a proper example please.
Yeah, I would have thought that the problem they have of the sun being invisible for parts of the year would, if anything, make it HARDER for them to keep the size of their per capita carbon consumption down, rather than easier. New Zealand has the option of solar production all year round (I'll grant you, not the best solar production in the winter, but still...), and we still have higher per capita consumption than Sweden does.

I'm not sure that what you wrote here even makes sense GT. Go home, you're obviously drunk.
Old 1st December 2014, 21:08     #3990
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Ladies and gentlemen, Asperger Syndrome
So, when it comes down to it, after looking at all of your objections and realising they're all bollocks, you just fall back on the old ad hominem eh? Well done sir, well done.
Old 1st December 2014, 21:09     #3991
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

For a minute there I thought we were going to unlock the "intelligent conversation" achievement. Fuck it, start again another day I think.
Old 1st December 2014, 21:24     #3992
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
So, when it comes down to it, after looking at all of your objections and realising they're all bollocks, you just fall back on the old ad hominem eh? Well done sir, well done.
Just pretend, for the sake of it, that when I said "most of them" I'd actually specifically said "most of them, with the obvious exceptions of places that have like fucking nuclear power plants and shit".
Old 1st December 2014, 21:37     #3993
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Just pretend, for the sake of it, that when I said "most of them" I'd actually specifically said "most of them, with the obvious exceptions of places that have like fucking nuclear power plants and shit,".
So you were having trouble conveying your argument...

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 1st December 2014, 22:24     #3994
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Just pretend, for the sake of it, that when I said "most of them" I'd actually specifically said "most of them, with the obvious exceptions of places that have like fucking nuclear power plants and shit,".
Even with that qualification, doesn't really change anything tbh. I'm really not a fan of nuclear, but if it helps to reduce carbon emissions then fuck yeah. In NZ we're fortunate enough to have a lot of options other than nuclear available. But never mind that eh, let's just keep investing in fossil fuels and opening coal fired power plants. She'll be right mate.
Old 1st December 2014, 22:31     #3995
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Even with that qualification, doesn't really change anything
So me specifically excluding places like Sweden from the list does not change the fact that you wish to draw our attention to places like Sweden on the list?

IS THIS REAL LIFE
Old 1st December 2014, 22:34     #3996
pxpx

extinction level: kitty

Ab get a better argument I mean come on, we're the mouse that's got to put the bell on that cat and fuck me if it kills us in the process.
Old 1st December 2014, 22:39     #3997
Lightspeed

Wut? You can't mock someone's use of "get a better argument" just after they explained what they thought the weakness of the argument was. I mean, you can, obviously, but your lack of addressing the argument just makes it look like you're wanting to join in but don't have anything to say.
Old 1st December 2014, 22:43     #3998
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
So me specifically excluding places like Sweden from the list does not change the fact that you wish to draw our attention to places like Sweden on the list?

IS THIS REAL LIFE
Well I guess it might change it, if you've got a really good reason for excluding them. But excluding them simply because it's convenient for your argument is not a good reason for excluding them.
Old 1st December 2014, 22:45     #3999
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
Ab get a better argument I mean come on, we're the mouse that's got to put the bell on that cat and fuck me if it kills us in the process.
There's always a point at which an analogy fails, and I think you're taking the cat-belling analogy past the point at which it fails. To suggest that doing more to reduce our per capita carbon foot print would 'kill us' is totally ridiculous. Gratz bruh.
Old 2nd December 2014, 01:44     #4000
Nothing

CCS, you keep gagging for an explanation of what collective action problems actually are. So I'm just going to

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
It's all well and good to declare it someone else's fault, but we all suffer as a result.
Hence why, collective action problems.