Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 6th April 2010, 22:17     #561
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepsi
At that age (actually earlier).. I enjoyed Toxic Avenger.
SOOOOOOOO RANDOM~ I watched this last night, to reminisce. Was an absolute lol-fest
Old 6th April 2010, 22:45     #562
Pepsi
Konnichiwa, bitches

I even watched the sequel!... Man those were the days.. renting videos from the van that used to drive around our neighbourhood haha
Old 6th April 2010, 23:22     #563
cryocore

Quote:
I even watched the sequel!... Man those were the days.. renting videos from the van that used to drive around our neighbourhood haha
Toxic Avenger IV - Citizen Toxie is my fave in the series. TA3 is awful and should be avoided.
Old 7th April 2010, 08:08     #564
^BITES^

Quote:
My first horror at around 8 was The incredible melting man. I suspect these wouldn't be cool enough for a 12 year old these days though..
Watched this last night ... not a bad IDEA but the excution was pretty lacking even for a 70's flick ... real fractured.
Was ok tho, 6/10

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 7th April 2010, 22:12     #565
Pepsi
Konnichiwa, bitches

@cryocore.. I see "The Descent" in your collection (post your pic), I assume you have seend the second one? (Of course you have.. probably a silly question )What did you think of it? I was actually surprised and thought it was better then I expected it to be..
Old 8th April 2010, 01:13     #566
_Incubus_

Quote:
Originally Posted by lektronimo
Watched American Psycho again... That's a film for people who like to talk about films. Just amazing (haven't read the book tho)
The book is a masterpiece...read it.
Old 8th April 2010, 01:14     #567
_Incubus_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax
The book is incredibly grim, and reading it threw me into a deep existential depression (induced more by the endless superficiality than the muders etc). The film is almost light-hearted and whimsical by comparison - much different in tone.
That seems to be his trademark, have you read Less than Zero?
Old 8th April 2010, 08:21     #568
^BITES^

Quote:
@cryocore.. I see "The Descent" in your collection (post your pic), I assume you have seend the second one? (Of course you have.. probably a silly question )What did you think of it? I was actually surprised and thought it was better then I expected it to be..
I thought it was shit .... well not shit ... but LACKING just a rehash of the same shit from the first movie with virtually nothing new added other than maybe a hillbilly.

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 8th April 2010, 09:28     #569
Erazhure

Quote:
wow. flashback!
Old 8th April 2010, 10:16     #570
Pepsi
Konnichiwa, bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^BITES^
I thought it was shit .... well not shit ... but LACKING just a rehash of the same shit from the first movie with virtually nothing new added other than maybe a hillbilly.
Yeah, I mean, it's definitely not as good as the first, but I was expecting it to be absolute total shit instead of ok. I wasn't expecting anyone from the first movie to be alive and since I don't seem to get many surprises from movies these days it was a nice spin. I rolled my eyes at the hillbilly angle because I saw that coming though... If they do a third then it will be shit for sure.
Old 8th April 2010, 10:38     #571
^BITES^

Quote:
Yeah, I mean, it's definitely not as good as the first, but I was expecting it to be absolute total shit instead of ok. I wasn't expecting anyone from the first movie to be alive and since I don't seem to get many surprises from movies these days it was a nice spin. I rolled my eyes at the hillbilly angle because I saw that coming though... If they do a third then it will be shit for sure.
oooh yeah third would be like making saw 6.

Oh shi..

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 8th April 2010, 14:26     #572
Pepsi
Konnichiwa, bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erazhure
wow. flashback!
And while you're waiting for the video van, you're waiting for the truck to come around so you can buy your crate of "Sport" drinks

Old school!
Old 8th April 2010, 14:29     #573
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

Quote:
waiting for the truck to come around so you can buy your crate of "Sport" drinks

Old school!
Ho-ly, you just blew my mind! I remember that ish!
Old 8th April 2010, 14:39     #574
doppelgänger of someone

Quote:
I've, er, previewed it and it is more straightforward horror. I think what made the original stands out is the dynamics of the six women, which I kind of like. The bit with Juno and Sarah is in both the original and sequel, but the second time around I just got bored. The horror bits also got old.
Old 8th April 2010, 20:58     #575
cryocore

Quote:

Yeah I actually really enjoyed it. No where near as good as number 1, but a decent film. Thats 2 sequels I have really enjoyed over the few months ([REC]2 being the other).
Old 8th April 2010, 21:00     #576
lektronimo

Finally saw Moon and it's as good as everyone says it is. In fact, it's much better than that... just amazing.
Old 8th April 2010, 21:04     #577
cEvin
Love In Vein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynos
The Road's well done. One of the few movies that's genuinely scary.
yep it was well executed. bleak as hell
Old 8th April 2010, 21:49     #578
ZoSo

^ Watching it while hungry adds a little extra too.
(luckily for us, biff will have a stocked bunker to raid)
Old 8th April 2010, 23:14     #579
crocos

Fuck raiding Biff's bunker. Hannibal's will have more relevant stuff in it, & better made too.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 8th April 2010, 23:16     #580
IceFox

Go watch kickass, so fricken sweet
Old 9th April 2010, 09:43     #581
A Corpse
talkative lurker

Yep, that one's on my must-see list. Are the good bits all given away by the trailers?
Old 9th April 2010, 10:25     #582
^BITES^

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryocore
Had never seen or heard about this movie .. but what an awesome take on it.

Really enjoyed it

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=GPR75ANC

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 9th April 2010, 11:52     #583
gentle

Yeah I don't have the balls to watch something like this and the premise made me throw up a little, so I thought I'd share. behold; The Human Centipede movie trailer.

10mins before lunch time as well enjoy!
Old 9th April 2010, 11:58     #584
davx

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentle
Yeah I don't have the balls to watch something like this and the premise made me throw up a little, so I thought I'd share. behold; The Human Centipede movie trailer.

hhahaah dam, that looks like some messed up goodness that I would enjoy watching
Old 9th April 2010, 11:58     #585
^BITES^

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentle

lol thats fucked up .... you don't go ass to mouth..... x2.

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 9th April 2010, 12:14     #586
Cynos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoSo
^ Watching it while hungry adds a little extra too.
(luckily for us, biff will have a stocked bunker to raid)
I have kids which just amps it up nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lektronimo
Finally saw Moon and it's as good as everyone says it is. In fact, it's much better than that... just amazing.
Special effects were done by the guy who did the models for Aliens, I think.
Old 11th April 2010, 22:27     #587
Reformed_Quint

The Hurt Locker is a terrible movie, I stopped it about 10mins in to make sure I was actually watching the right movie.

I can't believe I haven't heard anyone remark on how shit it is.
Old 11th April 2010, 22:29     #588
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed_Quint
You reading the same thread as I am?

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 11th April 2010, 22:37     #589
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

went and checked out Boy yesterday, most lols i've had in AGES.. well worth the money, might even see it again ;>

recommend ++
Old 11th April 2010, 22:50     #590
lektronimo

Quote:
The Hurt Locker is a terrible movie, I stopped it about 10mins in to make sure I was actually watching the right movie.

I think the NZG collective is 'meh' on this one.
Old 11th April 2010, 22:59     #591
doppelgänger of someone

I thought The Hurt Locker was good enough, not OMG good but probably worth the Oscar (considering that the standard for a win is pretty erratic). Most of the complaints I've heard are from US servicemen complaining that it is not realistic, while the director and the writer claimed that it is.
Old 11th April 2010, 23:11     #592
jb

Quote:

I thought it was extremely average and don't understand how it got the Oscar nods.
Old 11th April 2010, 23:24     #593
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Oh please, this Oscar nomination was brought to you by the sentiments "SUPPORT OUR TROOPS" and "USA! USA!"
Old 12th April 2010, 08:56     #594
Reformed_Quint

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelgänger of someone
Most of the complaints I've heard are from US servicemen complaining that it is not realistic, while the director and the writer claimed that it is.
Stopped watching it when the 50. cal jammed, because of blood in the magazine, which had to be cleared out by spitting on them... All the while, rolling around on a ridge where the sniper(s) has dialed you in. Not to mention the sniper(s) where using battle sights... wtf.
The combat also reminded me more of a western than a tactical operation. Also, WHAT THE FUCK was with the hero, seriously, was he supposed to be some kind of super cool hipster?

Seriously, fucking _terrible_ watched maybe 40mins of it before chucking the towel in.

I can't get over how badly inaccurate it was.

Last edited by Reformed_Quint : 12th April 2010 at 08:57.
Old 12th April 2010, 09:01     #595
^BITES^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Oh please, this Oscar nomination was brought to you by the sentiments "SUPPORT OUR TROOPS" and "USA! USA!"
QFT

EAT THE PROPAGANDA AND FUCKING LIKE IT? K?!?

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 12th April 2010, 12:02     #596
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Wow Hurt Locker that bad? We were going to watch it this weekend, has anyone watched it right through? Does it get better after an hour? Some movies do!

I've watched about 10 movies in the last few weeks, most of them were pretty shit, the best by far was "Dead Snow". It's an English dubbed movie, originally spoken in Norwegian but they've dubbed over their voices in English so it looks out of sync but the dubbing is really good, if you don't look at their mouths so much when they talk you'd think it was actually recorded in English all along. This is the best Zombie horror I've seen in ages, I highly recommend it for the gore and twists/turns alone Get!
Old 12th April 2010, 12:06     #597
Reformed_Quint

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr selfdestruct
Wow Hurt Locker that bad?
yes
Quote:
We were going to watch it this weekend
Don't!!!!

Watch Zombieland, much better.
Old 12th April 2010, 14:30     #598
dylan
Huh?

Quote:
Wow Hurt Locker that bad? We were going to watch it this weekend, has anyone watched it right through? Does it get better after an hour? Some movies do!
I really liked the hurt locker, but I watched it before any of the Oscar nominations were announced, so I knew practically nothing about it except for that it had a fucking stupid title. I probably checked imdb to see it had a score over 5 and then got it.

I liked that it has a lot of tension in it. I like that it doesn't really have much of a point and certainly doesn't have much of a storyline. I didn't see it as propaganda at all, if anything to me it showed simply that soldiers are just like the rest of us, some of us are retards, some of us are cool, some of us are funny, some of us are combinations of all three.

I have no idea how realistic it is, but to me who's never served in any sort of force, it has a 'feel' of authenticity about it, it feels like you're seeing something behind the scenes, and that's quite entertaining.

It also reminds me a bit of a buddy movie in places and the fucked up relationships that guys have with each other especially in circumstances where there's a lot of stress.

All in all I think I was lucky to have seen it before hearing a single thing about it - if I were to watch it fresh now I'd probably have all sorts of expectations.

edit: I only found out this weekend that Katherine Bigelow (the director) was married to James Cameron! Ha. Also - she directed Point Break.

Last edited by dylan : 12th April 2010 at 14:32.
Old 12th April 2010, 14:39     #599
lektronimo

^ checking out IMDB reviews, and first five pages are all 1-4 star reviews, with only two 10/10. In fact, it looks really bad... might download this one.
Old 12th April 2010, 14:39     #600
Fred

Quote:
No, the Hurt Locker is a pretty good film. I don't think it is best picture material - out of the selection presented this year I think District 9 should have won. But it is a very solid film that does tension extremely well and shows the mania of what EOD is doing quite well. I agree with Dylan that it presents an air of authenticity but it is a movie of discrete segments that doesn't flow overall too smoothly. It also does the expected 'war is hell' message with the twist of it being also addictive.

I don't know why Quint is reacting so badly to it but I would say hating the film is something of an over-reaction.