Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 14th July 2010, 11:24     #401
leadinjector

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnT
So you have the right to say whatever you like? You've heard of defamation and slander right?

What are your thoughts on racial profiling leadinjector? Is that cool too?
the video itself isnt saying "i fucking hate abos" nor is it singling out anyone. its a poor taste music video playing on cultural stereotypes. seen juice tv lately? pretty much every rap video on there paints women as objects and black guys as fucking morons, shall we lock all them up too cos we dont like what they say? ever heard the shitty white supremacist music that they have? people dont get locked up for that and its far, far scarier than this video. shall we lock all them up for singing about their beliefs that you find to be poor taste?

i couldnt care less if some guy hates abos and makes a video making fun of abos. i might not support his video but ill support his right to make his shitty video without being prosecuted for his beliefs.

as soon as you start prosecuting people for saying shit that is derogatory but not directly aimed at someone, you start on a fucking slippery slope, imo. theres a difference between me standing on a street corner ranting about how i fucking hate the govt and me standing on a street corner ranting about how im gonna kill john key.
Old 14th July 2010, 11:29     #402
leadinjector

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Malks] Pixie
Well you've actually answered you're own question there - that mofo that comes and knocks your head in is doing so because the ideology that you are spouting isn't seen as acceptable within society. If you go on a henious racist rant on the internet you can bet that it will affect your opportunities in society (say in getting jobs). Just because there isn't a law against what you are saying doesn't mean that there won't be repercussions for doing so in some other form.

Also as people have highlighted you can be done for sedition or for slander which are also limits to rights of expression.

Honestly anyone who believes that we have universal freedom of speech just isn't operating on a full lunch box.

It's a nice concept but in reality free speech simply does not, and never has, existed.

Pixie
were not talking about social etiquette here. sedition and slander are fairly particular things, because they are involved in your speech impacting the rights of another human being. as long as your speech doesnt do that (and you arent in china etc) then theres no law against what you say. while a white supremacist standing on a corner ranting about how he dislikes jews/blacks/abos/CCS's taste in shoes may be offensive, until he starts singling out an abo in the crowd and shutting the dude down he isnt breaking a law.

(or if im wrong and he is, ive never seen the cops enforce anything about it on the multiple times ive seen some fuckwit ranting on queen st about shit)
Old 14th July 2010, 13:25     #403
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadinjector
as soon as you start prosecuting people for saying shit that is derogatory but not directly aimed at someone, you start on a fucking slippery slope, imo.
I agree with you here, the is a difference between having racist beliefs and acting on or inciting to act on them in a way that's illegal.

Racist beliefs are bad but the only way to change them is education (including people speaking up against it).

The fine line (again) in this case is whether the video was inciting people to act on it. It other countries it may has been viewed as doing so (see guy jailed for holocaust denial).
Old 14th July 2010, 15:01     #404
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
were not talking about social etiquette here. sedition and slander are fairly particular things, because they are involved in your speech impacting the rights of another human being. as long as your speech doesnt do that (and you arent in china etc) then theres no law against what you say. while a white supremacist standing on a corner ranting about how he dislikes jews/blacks/abos/CCS's taste in shoes may be offensive, until he starts singling out an abo in the crowd and shutting the dude down he isnt breaking a law.
Way to miss my point dude. The law is only one (small) part of what would potentially constitute free speech. My point was that there are consequences for making statements that do not sit within the societal norms - wether that is in the form of prosecution or other social consequences is immaterial. Really the threshold for what is considered acceptable is defined by society and not by legislation (which only sets the upper limits). Sure you may be able to say something, you may not be prosecuted for it - but that doesn't mean that there are not consequences for saying it.

Focusing entirely on the legal aspects is like only studying one type of tree in a forest and ignoring all the other things that make up that forest.

Pixie
Old 14th July 2010, 15:28     #405
TnT

Quote:
i might not support his video but ill support his right to make his shitty video without being prosecuted for his beliefs.

as soon as you start prosecuting people for saying shit that is derogatory but not directly aimed at someone, you start on a fucking slippery slope, imo. theres a difference between me standing on a street corner ranting about how i fucking hate the govt and me standing on a street corner ranting about how im gonna kill john key.
Fair call. I suppose I take offense more at the 'artistic merit' side of the defences case, than the freedom of speech.

One side of me agrees with Evelyn Halls famous words - "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it", whilst the other side wonders whether stupidity is worth of defence.
Old 14th July 2010, 15:30     #406
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnT
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
Wasn't that Voltaire?
Old 14th July 2010, 15:31     #407
xor

No it's more like Voooolaaare OOOoOoOH
Old 14th July 2010, 15:32     #408
TnT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Wasn't that Voltaire?
No, misappropriated to him. She wrote in in 'The Friends of Voltaire'
Old 14th July 2010, 15:32     #409
^BITES^

Quote:

(or if im wrong and he is, ive never seen the cops enforce anything about it on the multiple times ive seen some fuckwit ranting on queen st about shit)
That was my thought also. I wasn't including the social ramifications ... I mean if someones batshit crazy ... they normally don't give a flying rats ass about the social ramifications .. and they are still allowed to spout random bullshit.

Hell some get paid for it, sup Tamaki.

Even tho "the law constitutes a small part" .. that small part has a massive foothold in regards to persons rights to free speech, alot of the rest is reliant on how far the person wants to push it (social purgatory .. hate mail .. death htreats whatever).

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 14th July 2010, 15:34     #410
Redneck

So does anyone here actually think this guy deserved to be convicted for releasing the video?
Old 14th July 2010, 15:38     #411
Markh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck
So does anyone here actually think this guy deserved to be convicted for releasing the video?
Yeah, it was crap! Then again there are a lot of other artists with stuff playing on C4 that also deserve to be convicted.
Old 14th July 2010, 15:39     #412
TnT

Honestly? My initial reaction was YES, DAMN RACIST. But as much as I hate to admit it, leadinjector has a more valid argument.

I suppose it just seems to be a constant stream of Australian dickheads saying really stupid shit in the media lately, and I don't know whether it's getting worse, or whether it's 'red car' syndrome, ie. I'm just seeing it more because I'm looking because of this thread.
Old 14th July 2010, 15:40     #413
^BITES^

Quote:
No ... but he lives in australia. A country that bans games faster than they can get released ... or worse edits the fuck out of them till everyone bleeds either money, pufts of dust, or my little ponies.

Not to mention the fail-ternet filter......

Going back to pixies point, he fails on everything shes mentioned ... social ramifications go!

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 14th July 2010, 15:46     #414
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^BITES^
Going back to pixies point, he fails on everything shes mentioned ... social ramifications go!
While very youthful of face, pixie is a guy. Believe it, or not!

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 14th July 2010, 15:51     #415
TnT

Does he glisten in the sunlight? Might be a vampire then.
Old 14th July 2010, 15:57     #416
^BITES^

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
While very youthful of face, pixie is a guy. Believe it, or not!
Eh I just always associate pixies to chicks .... my bad :B

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 14th July 2010, 15:57     #417
crocos

You sexist pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnT
Does he glisten in the sunlight? Might be a vampire then.
Nah, just goes all crispy-critter. Haven't seen him burst into flame yet though.

Old 14th July 2010, 16:29     #418
[Malks] Pixie

Actual lol :-)

Pixie
Old 14th July 2010, 18:01     #419
Cynos

Quote:
Maybe just a hiding.
Old 14th July 2010, 18:11     #420
Cynos

Quote:
Dub dub double post.
Old 14th July 2010, 19:10     #421
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^BITES^
*cough* Andy Haden *cough*
Old 15th July 2010, 08:05     #422
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
*cough* Andy Haden *cough*
Pefect example!

Pixie
Old 19th July 2010, 18:20     #423
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/conte...0/s2954650.htm

Totally not racists.
Old 19th July 2010, 19:18     #424
NT_VlaD

I was thinking
Hamilton
+ W =
Whamilton...
Familton....

Sounds good
Old 23rd July 2010, 10:32     #425
Cynos

Well, it's traditional (being a dick to Abos), at least: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terra_n...y_in_Australia
Old 26th July 2010, 19:32     #426
cyc
Objection!

Talking YOU DIDN'T TELL ME YOU WERE AN ARAB

NOT RACIST!!

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sexual-ass...ectid=10661180

I don't fuck Arabs, you didn't tell me that you are an Arab and, therefore, you raped me.

Logic and "law" according to an Israeli woman and an Israeli court.
Old 26th July 2010, 19:40     #427
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Ms Gillard has declared the election a referendum on ''our very quality of life'' and has been empathising strongly with people in overpopulated areas such as western Sydney and south-east Queensland.

In a speech on Tuesday, Ms Gillard said ''Australia can never be a country that closes its heart to newcomers'' but the nation needed to be put on a path towards sustainable population growth ''because there is such a thing as the Australian way of life''.
Translation: "I am not a racist, but vote for me and we'll keep those fucking sambo darkie coons out."

Fortunately Australia has an Opposition Party to put forward an alternative.

Quote:
Mr Abbott on Sunday today announced a coalition government would cut the annual immigration intake to 170,000 places, compared to a peak of 300,000 two years ago.

The coalition wanted to make immigration more sustainable because many people thought it was ‘‘out of control’’.
Translation: "I am not a racist either, so vote for me and we'll keep even more of those fucking sambo darkie coons out."

AUSTRALIA, WHERE WE PLAY BOTH KINDS OF MUSIC: COUNTRY AND WESTERN
Old 26th July 2010, 21:38     #428
NT_VlaD

Quote:
"I am not a racist either, so vote for me and we'll keep even more of those fucking sambo darkie coons out
wins my vote
sorted
Old 27th July 2010, 00:04     #429
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
AUSTRALIA, WHERE WE PLAY BOTH KINDS OF MUSIC: COUNTRY AND WESTERN
Aah yes, Bob's Country Bunker. <3 that movie.

Last edited by crocos : 27th July 2010 at 00:05.
Old 27th July 2010, 00:31     #430
doppelgänger of someone

WHAT'S WRONG WITH TAYLOR SWIFT???????
Old 27th July 2010, 02:48     #431
?>Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
NOT RACIST!!

I don't fuck Arabs, you didn't tell me that you are an Arab and, therefore, you raped me.

sweet mighty fuck of Alba, that is messed up.
Old 27th July 2010, 03:04     #432
CCS
Stunt Pants

Devil grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT_VlaD
I was thinking
Hamilton
+ W =
Whamilton...
Familton....

Sounds good
Quote:
Originally Posted by NT_VlaD
wins my vote
sorted
This guy must be overjoyed that it's Maori language week.
Old 27th July 2010, 10:51     #433
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelgänger of someone
WHAT'S WRONG WITH TAYLOR SWIFT???????
Needs to stop making "music" and start sucking me off.

Old 27th July 2010, 11:19     #434
^BITES^

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
Needs to stop making "music" and start sucking me off.
FUCKEN WORD

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 27th July 2010, 11:56     #435
CCS
Stunt Pants

You want Taylor Swift to suck crocos off? Weird...
Old 27th July 2010, 11:57     #436
Cynos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
NOT RACIST!!

Quote:
In his verdict, Judge Zvi Segal conceded that it was not "a classical rape by force". He added: "If she hadn't thought the accused was a Jewish bachelor interested in a serious romantic relationship, she would not have co-operated."
Yes, because the way to start serious romantic relationships is to fuck a stranger 20 minutes after you meet them. >_<

Who's more racist, the woman, or the judge?
Old 27th July 2010, 13:01     #437
[WanG] Wandarah

I love classical rape. Most modern rape just seems like so much loud noise to me.
Old 27th July 2010, 13:16     #438
Cyberbob

Needs more banana rape.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAKL3Og-zGc
Old 27th July 2010, 13:19     #439
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Perhaps the judge supports panda rape...?
Old 27th July 2010, 13:36     #440
^BITES^

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
You want Taylor Swift to suck crocos off? Weird...
Well maybe me first .. but I'm ok with her servicing Crocos ... were in an open relationship.

That she doesnt know about...

or want....
(but she gets it on her face anyway)

()_) ()_)--o-)_)