Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 23rd February 2010, 17:16     #2521
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepsi
The same way Warrick presents his sex life in a dramatized way..
lol, Call of the day.
Old 23rd February 2010, 22:44     #2522
herp

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Man vs Wild is a documentary - it presents survival situations in a misleading way.

The same way that Deadliest Catch presents King Crab fishing in a dramatized way,
Fixed
Old 23rd February 2010, 23:00     #2523
David

Sure, get your panties into a knot that they play up to the audience and make the experience seem more harrowing than it actually is.

You're completely missing the two points of the show - one, that it's entertaining and far more watchable (hence the greater audience) than other survival shows and two, that they setup situations with which to teach valid survival techniques.

Each of the concepts he demonstrates are valid, the climbing techniques he demonstrates are all proven - as are the trapping, water extraction, raft building, shelter building and fire building techniques.

By using situations that have been setup, he is far more able to demonstrate these concepts - rather than worry about "What will I find out here?" type situations that Les Stroud had, where a number of his episodes were very flat and simply repeated techniques he had previously used.
Old 23rd February 2010, 23:09     #2524
herp

Honestly mate, I don't care. I don't even watch the show anymore, I think him sobbing then going to a motel is funny. That was all I was trying to say before I got dragged into trying to defend my thoughts on documentary film making.
Old 23rd February 2010, 23:24     #2525
David

I can see your point, but would simply point out that for many, documentary film making is about connecting with your audience, using their fears and thoughts to make your point hit home further and ensure that the underlying message within your documentary is heard.

I'd argue that for most, Bear does this extremely well. He talks of loneliness, missing his family and thoughts of the comforts at home because he understands that's what most people will have in their heads while trying to survive - that's his connection point.
Old 24th February 2010, 12:35     #2526
David

Watched first two episodes of the Take - loving it.

Wondered where I'd seen Freddy before - he plays Charlie Bronson in Bronson, fucking great film and if you enjoy him acting the thug in The Take, you'll love the movie.
Old 24th February 2010, 12:41     #2527
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

^^
Old 24th February 2010, 19:59     #2528
fidgit
Always itchy

I always thought the big issue with Man vs. Wild wasn't that he was setting up situations to demonstrate techniques, but that they did not make this obvious to the audience from the get go. By presenting it as his actual survival on the line, rather than 'here's a situation you might find yourself in', they misled a lot of people. Sure, maybe just stupid people (I've never actually watched the show, so I don't know how obvious it was), but the lowest common denominator is pretty wide spread.
Old 26th February 2010, 11:30     #2529
herp

Just watched first two seasons of The Inbetweeners over the last week. You can watch it all on youtube. Hilarious, gets better with each episode.
Old 26th February 2010, 12:08     #2530
dylan
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by herp
Just watched first two seasons of The Inbetweeners over the last week. You can watch it all on youtube. Hilarious, gets better with each episode.
Quote:
This video contains content from Channel 4, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.
lame.

guess i will have to find another way to infringe copyright then
Old 26th February 2010, 12:18     #2531
herp

Oh snap, sorry, forgot that Youtube can block countries.
Old 26th February 2010, 12:49     #2532
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

Quote:
haha yo~ I watched this a while back, it's good shit
Old 26th February 2010, 13:01     #2533
crocos

Dyl: Think I've got the first season kicking around if you're interested.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 27th February 2010, 23:50     #2534
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

Loving The Ricky Gervais show, the animation works really well ;> !
Old 27th February 2010, 23:51     #2535
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan
lame.

guess i will have to find another way to infringe copyright then
http://www.google.com.au/search?sour...nymous+proxies
Old 28th February 2010, 00:10     #2536
xin

Quote:
Haha, yeah, Watched this when it first aired.

S201 was the best.
"It's a fucking terrifying fucking massive fish neil, get rid of it
Oh god it's shit itself"

Apparently they're making a film. Of which the actors wrote a script "that's irritatingly funnier" than the one the paid writers wrote.
Old 1st March 2010, 20:52     #2537
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

I thought the first couple of episodes of Being Human was good, but fuck me.. I've yawned my way through the last season. How boring.
Old 1st March 2010, 23:34     #2538
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

Wife and I watched 1/2 of the first Interesting Things with Dimitri whatever....
Who recommended it?

Please to be don't recommending anymore ... very dull/lame/unfunny/etc....

On another note: we're working our way towards the end of S4 of The Wire..... vvg!!
Old 2nd March 2010, 04:01     #2539
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrick
I thought the first couple of episodes of Being Human was good, but fuck me.. I've yawned my way through the last season. How boring.
Have to agree TBH. It peaked with the attack scene in S1E6 and went flat from there.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 2nd March 2010, 09:46     #2540
Yoda

Whoever brought up The Wire... I am both grateful and hateful.
Old 2nd March 2010, 10:35     #2541
Kryten

There's a new documentary out about the real life Avon Barksdale for all of you The Wire fans, interviewed by Wood Harris (Avon in the show). Haven't seen it yet, but it looks interesting.
Old 2nd March 2010, 12:21     #2542
?>Superman

What's it called? I'd watch that.
Old 2nd March 2010, 12:25     #2543
Kryten

The Avon Barksdale Story (link to trailer).
Old 2nd March 2010, 12:42     #2544
?>Superman

Okay after watching that trailer, I'm way less interested in watching it.

Terrible trailer. Might watch it on a lazy sunday.

<3
Old 2nd March 2010, 15:22     #2545
Ashley
Fuck up Ashley

Tempted to start a new thread, but I'll stick this in here.

Everybody loved Band of Brothers, if you didn't, you're a faggot. Hanks and Spielberg bring you the pacific version.

http://www.hbo.com/the-pacific/about...?autoplay=true

Starts on the 14th. Cannot wait!!!!
Old 2nd March 2010, 15:30     #2546
gentle

They're running the BOB series at the moment here in NZ for the lead up to the Pacific.

Watched BOB so many times now - first on TV, then on DVD box set x 5, then Bluray a couple of times + HDTV whew.. has to one of the best, if not best TV drama ever. Well, this and M*A*S*H

\0/ is all that can be said really.
Old 2nd March 2010, 18:02     #2547
Ashley
Fuck up Ashley

How is it on blu ray? Thinking about it and a player for a fathers day present for gfs dad.
Old 2nd March 2010, 18:14     #2548
[BT]Monza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley
How is it on blu ray? Thinking about it and a player for a fathers day present for gfs dad.
Tis awesome in Bluray, very good pressie to score good brownie points with the missus' old man.
Old 2nd March 2010, 18:39     #2549
Pepsi
Konnichiwa, bitches

I just caught up on The Vampire Diaries today.. a show I knew I would like, but was previously happy to just wait until it was on tv. Smallville and Supernatural are on a break so it gave me a chance to check it out and now I'm hooked. It's now added to my list of shows to watch..although now all three are on a break until the end of March

Yes, I love the shows you hate but I don't care
Old 2nd March 2010, 18:51     #2550
orpheus
Jedi Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by [BT]Monza
Tis awesome in Bluray, very good pressie to score good brownie points with the missus' old man.
+1 for BoB Bluray goodness!
Old 2nd March 2010, 19:27     #2551
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepsi
I just caught up on The Vampire Diaries today.. a show I knew I would like, but was previously happy to just wait until it was on tv. Smallville and Supernatural are on a break so it gave me a chance to check it out and now I'm hooked. It's now added to my list of shows to watch..although now all three are on a break until the end of March

Yes, I love the shows you hate but I don't care
+1 for Vampire Diaries. Love it Have you seen Stefan with his shirt off yet? Jesus Christ.
Old 2nd March 2010, 19:34     #2552
Pepsi
Konnichiwa, bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrick
+1 for Vampire Diaries. Love it Have you seen Stefan with his shirt off yet? Jesus Christ.
Yes. Very nice. Damon is the hotter one though
Old 2nd March 2010, 19:36     #2553
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

Agreed, Damon is hotter and his character is much cooler ! :>
Old 2nd March 2010, 20:31     #2554
Hurtuso

fully bum dat!
Old 3rd March 2010, 02:09     #2555
Caesar

Isn't The Vampire Diaries like just a series version of Twilight?
Old 3rd March 2010, 09:39     #2556
Pepsi
Konnichiwa, bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar
Isn't The Vampire Diaries like just a series version of Twilight?
Yeah there are similarities in terms of it being about vampires, and a human/vamp romance involved and other stuff.. but it does have more blood and killing (not as much as True Blood). I didn't mind the twilight movie.
Old 3rd March 2010, 09:45     #2557
StN
I have detailed files

I still run into people who have never watched any of the Star Wars films. I find it tricky to comprehend how they can be void of such a significant pop culture reference in their life. That said, I have never read or watched, or indeed intend to, any Twilight content.
Old 3rd March 2010, 09:47     #2558
dylan
Huh?

Yeah... as big as Twilight is, I can't see people still talking about the original in 30 years time...or sequels being made
Old 3rd March 2010, 10:12     #2559
Pepsi
Konnichiwa, bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan
Yeah... as big as Twilight is, I can't see people still talking about the original in 30 years time...or sequels being made
This is true. The acting is terrible..even worse in New Moon.

For me personally, I'll watch anything with vampires in it.
Old 3rd March 2010, 11:56     #2560
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
I still run into people who have never watched any of the Star Wars films. I find it tricky to comprehend how they can be void of such a significant pop culture reference in their life. That said, I have never read or watched, or indeed intend to, any Twilight content.
I've never seen the original 3, just the awesome new ones.