NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Technology & Troubleshooting
User Name
Password

Old 4th November 2014, 22:32     #14801
Cyberbob

Just went from ip4 to ip6.. wow.

the weight, the screen, the capacity. Very impressive.
Old 5th November 2014, 04:57     #14802
BWDOWN

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by blur^
10 hours of the screen on 100% and the phone doing stuff
I doubt your 9 hours is actually 100% screen on time

http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Ap..._id3836/page/4
Yet

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/56875...m#.VFjohKbXenM

10 hours & 29 mins of 3G browsing or 9 hours 24 mins of video playback.

Jus sayin..
Old 6th November 2014, 14:02     #14803
mpx

I haven't had "two days" of full heavy use - that's a bit of a stretch, if you play games on the Z3 it will drop the battery but everything else is pretty damn impressive. For me, with a gimmicky live background, Google Now always going, excessive Hangouts chatting, Instagram, Facebook, Peggle every now andthen, everything always on 24/7 (wifi searching etc) I get about 1.8 days of solid use before I need to charge.

The percentage drops rapidly from 100 to 90, then slows down in the 80s, and then crawls at 30 and below so the percentage isn't really a good indicator of the battery life I've found, however it does have you an estimated time left indicator which seems much more accurate.

To put it in perspective, I couldn't have a live wallpaper or Google Now on with my S3 because it would go flat in half a day, if that. So now I get the luxury of having a heap of shit on my phone and not even caring about battery life.

The phone feels fucking sexy to hold, too. The glass back is a stupid idea in terms of slipperiness, but goddamn it feels great to pick up and hold. Everything is so damn fast on the phone too.

Best of all? NO VODAFONE.

Old 6th November 2014, 14:33     #14804
blur^

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWDOWN
Yet

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/56875...m#.VFjohKbXenM

10 hours & 29 mins of 3G browsing or 9 hours 24 mins of video playback.

Jus sayin..
so what you are saying is one of those sites is an apple shill?
Old 6th November 2014, 15:41     #14805
BWDOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by blur^
so what you are saying is one of those sites is an apple shill?
Well the tests I quoted in the article were done by GSMArena... so read into that what you will..

Anandtech is far more reliable

Last edited by BWDOWN : 6th November 2014 at 15:43.
Old 6th November 2014, 15:48     #14806
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

GSMArena and Anandtech are obviously Apple shills.
Old 7th November 2014, 13:50     #14807
MadMax
Stuff

I just creamed mah pants.

iOS now searches GLA without having to tap out of contacts and into the exchange account.
Old 11th November 2014, 16:32     #14808
Savage

Picked up Galaxy Note 4 this morning. Very, very happy
Old 11th November 2014, 21:36     #14809
MadMax
Stuff

i spent a whole bunch of money on something today. of course i'm very happy otherwise i'd be a gimp
Old 12th November 2014, 00:56     #14810
_indigo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
i spent a whole bunch of money on something today. of course i'm very happy otherwise i'd be a gimp
That, or you have a missus/kids.
Old 18th November 2014, 16:15     #14811
MadMax
Stuff

Anyone with an iPhone 5s notice poorer reception especially with Vodafone? My 5c pretty much always has 5 bars here in town but others with a 5s have 3 or 4.
Old 18th November 2014, 16:17     #14812
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

summary: vodafone
Old 18th November 2014, 17:40     #14813
mpx

^
Recently switched to Spark. Reception so good, can even get reception in Thames - the house was a black hole with Vodafone.
Old 19th November 2014, 18:09     #14814
chiQ
Frag-muff

I left Vodafone after bloody forever during the Autumn. I had no idea what I was missing out on. Vodafone really is crud.
Old 19th November 2014, 19:21     #14815
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

When I was with vodafone some years ago I had to move my desk at work so that I could get reception; I work in the CBD of Auckland.

Spark is simply the best by such a big margin there's no point about thinking of others.
Old 19th November 2014, 21:02     #14816
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

Whereas, I look forward to opportunities to have no reception.
Old 19th November 2014, 21:08     #14817
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

A Faraday bag would do it for you then; or just use vodafone.
Old 19th November 2014, 21:41     #14818
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

I prefer remote coastal settlements. Works more proper like.
Old 19th November 2014, 23:33     #14819
MadMax
Stuff

yeah, it wasn't a decision i was involved in unfortunately (some would say that's a fortunate thing)

admittedly they're working and have successfully worked with us to resolve a couple of patches of poor reception

Last edited by MadMax : 19th November 2014 at 23:34.
Old 20th November 2014, 08:37     #14820
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Vodafone works really well for bogans in Hamilton
Old 20th November 2014, 09:07     #14821
pxpx

Switching to skinny because they use the Spark network but somehow have better prices.
Old 20th November 2014, 10:32     #14822
Cyberbob

In case you didn't realise, they're actually a Spark division, like Spark Digital, Spark Ventures, etc.

They're just very cheap due to minimal margins and a more competitive market (i.e. low end consumer)
Old 20th November 2014, 12:24     #14823
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Don't forget to re-join your Skinny combo deal - if you don't have credit when the roll-over happens your combo is lost and you stay on rip-off rates. This was perhaps the most annoying thing about Skinny. I have heard of more than one person chewing through credit and wondering what was going on. If you're used to another network, you assume it's part of your profile or something.
Old 20th November 2014, 22:48     #14824
chiQ
Frag-muff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimp-X
I prefer remote coastal settlements. Works more proper like.
Your subtle hints for an invite back to the beach are so subtle, oh subtle one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
yeah, it wasn't a decision i was involved in unfortunately (some would say that's a fortunate thing)

admittedly they're working and have successfully worked with us to resolve a couple of patches of poor reception
Don't fix it. It's wonderful escaping from the intardnet. At present everyone on Vodafonehas to walk right down to the surfline to get reception of a distant cell tower, and SMTP often times out. The rest of us get our email, and get to keep our feet dry, but still have to be on the sand. It's awesome.
Old 21st November 2014, 06:58     #14825
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

Spotted that, did you?
Old 24th November 2014, 23:30     #14826
chiQ
Frag-muff

Yeah.
Old 30th January 2015, 15:26     #14827
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
The Wall Street Journal reports that Microsoft plans to be a minority investor in a roughly $70 million round of equity financing for mobile startup Cyanogen Inc.. Neither company is commenting on the plan but last week during a talk in San Francisco, Cyanogen's CEO said the company's goal was to "take Android away from Google."

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2015/01/...rtup-cyanogen/
Old 30th January 2015, 15:28     #14828
BWDOWN

GG Samsung...

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/29/79...artphone-share
Old 10th February 2015, 16:18     #14829
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Apple's new share of phone industry profits: 93%

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/0...seid=auto&_r=0
Old 10th February 2015, 20:25     #14830
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Apple's new share of phone industry profits: 93%

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/0...seid=auto&_r=0
We get it Ab.
Old 11th February 2015, 00:41     #14831
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

It pains me but I now have an android device in my house; it's built into my elliptical trainer and gives Google street view functionality. I hate it really but it's the only option.
Old 11th February 2015, 13:49     #14832
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr selfdestruct
We get it Ab.
AAPL closed at USD122.02 today, making Apple the first US company to close above USD700 billion in market capitalisation.
Old 11th February 2015, 13:57     #14833
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
We get it Ab.
Ab likes to choke himself with a Lightning cable while jerking off over the latest Apple financials.
Old 11th February 2015, 18:21     #14834
chubby

kinda sad how,once you become the encumbent you get all scared of innovation-and lose the edge that got you there in the first place.
apple is pretty lame now,amirite?
Old 12th February 2015, 12:41     #14835
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Ab likes to choke himself with a Lightning cable while jerking off over the latest Apple financials.
ROFL!
Old 12th February 2015, 12:45     #14836
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubby
kinda sad how,once you become the encumbent you get all scared of innovation-and lose the edge that got you there in the first place.
apple is pretty lame now,amirite?
Thats pretty natural I think for most incumbents but I dont think this is the case with Apple. I firmly believe that if Jobs was still there he would still be pushing new innovative products into markets or needs where he saw gaps. He was always looking for how to make the next big thing that would really matter and people didn't know they wanted yet.

Apple will just struggle to ever be able to do this in the same way again without him and with their current financial position there is very little incentive for them to do so. The ones taking over won't want to upset the apple cart since they're so effortlessly printing money right now.
Old 12th February 2015, 16:13     #14837
crocos

Quote:
The ones taking over won't want to upset the apple cart since they're so effortlessly printing money right now.
Which is pretty much why they will fail. Apple succeeded BECAUSE it concentrated on upsetting the status quo.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 12th February 2015, 16:29     #14838
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

While I'm in the refractory period after my most recent Thunderbolt choke'n'stroke, I'm sane enough to observe that I'm still not feeling Apple Watch.
Old 12th February 2015, 18:22     #14839
CCS
Stunt Pants

Too small to wrap around your neck, eh? Don't worry, you can always make an expensive, gaudy cock ring out of it!

In any case, Apple is rich enough to be able to afford the occasional product failure without Jobs to advise them. Their money bin can easily buffer them in the times that crap products cause their cred to trough until they can make it peak again with another Magical, Wonderful Telephone.
Old 12th February 2015, 22:19     #14840
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
Which is pretty much why they will fail. Apple succeeded BECAUSE it concentrated on upsetting the status quo.
Maybe so but I think they'll enjoy this purple patch for close to another decade at least, over half a trillion dollars is pretty good for that.

I'm not surprised Ab, maybe its because VaporWatch was announced about six months ago and is still a couple of months away? Don't worry, it will come out and you'll find a reason to need it, just like how you didn't need a phone that did more than send texts, take calls and have bluetooth right?