Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

harsh/true
Old 8th July 2014, 15:19     #14602
CCS
Stunt Pants

$36m in gear thieved from Samsung factory raid
Quote:
Thieves raided a Samsung electronics factory in Brazil during the night subduing workers and guards, and making off with about $36 million worth of cellphones and computers.
~
In total, police suspect that 20 robbers participated, carting out more than 40,000 finished products in seven trucks. Samsung said it was still trying to find out how much money it had lost.
Yyeaaaahh... problems.
Old 8th July 2014, 15:37     #14603
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Looking at Samsung's financials, I think some gear falling off the back of a warehouse in Brazil is the least of their problems.
Old 9th July 2014, 19:24     #14604
BWDOWN

I hope the 6 does get Sapphire. Out of contract next month and am looking forward to a 4.7" iPhone.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...unscathed.html
Old 9th July 2014, 20:25     #14605
MadMax
Stuff

I've had to help a few people change the email address on their iCloud account which in the past hasn't been the most pleasurable of task. Sometimes they've already changed the address but hadn't removed the old one off all their devices.

In the past you needed to remove the account from all devices, change the email address on your account then log the device in with the new address. The sign out process required an internet connection and a legit iCloud account - you can't turn off find my iphone on a non-existent login and your device is as good as bricked if you can't turn that off.

The fix was to change your email back, accept the confirmation then you could sign out with the old address. Tough titties if you didn't have access to that email address for the confirmation. You'd be at the mercy of apples helpdesk.

Had one today where they forgot to do their iPad and had already trashed the old email account. Fortunately you can now still sign out after changing the address.

Last edited by MadMax : 9th July 2014 at 20:28.
Old 9th July 2014, 23:09     #14606
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
I've had to help a few people change the email address on their iCloud account which in the past hasn't been the most pleasurable of task. Sometimes they've already changed the address but hadn't removed the old one off all their devices.

In the past you needed to remove the account from all devices, change the email address on your account then log the device in with the new address. The sign out process required an internet connection and a legit iCloud account - you can't turn off find my iphone on a non-existent login and your device is as good as bricked if you can't turn that off.

The fix was to change your email back, accept the confirmation then you could sign out with the old address. Tough titties if you didn't have access to that email address for the confirmation. You'd be at the mercy of apples helpdesk.

Had one today where they forgot to do their iPad and had already trashed the old email account. Fortunately you can now still sign out after changing the address.
.... Cool story?
Old 9th July 2014, 23:26     #14607
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

Reckon, thought I twitched at first.
Old 10th July 2014, 08:03     #14608
MadMax
Stuff

Sux to be u with thief-friendly android.
Old 10th July 2014, 08:58     #14609
CCS
Stunt Pants

wat ?
Old 10th July 2014, 10:01     #14610
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

Drunk posting, gotta be.
Old 10th July 2014, 13:46     #14611
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

or spam bot? lol
Old 17th July 2014, 23:06     #14612
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
http://techcrunch.com/2014/07/16/sam...-u-s/?ncid=rss

With sales of its premium smartphones failing to live up to expectations, Samsung is moving into another potentially high-margin business: premium headphones.
Old 19th July 2014, 00:35     #14613
_indigo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
That better be their copying Apple again, and not headphones? who is into headphones?
Old 19th July 2014, 10:50     #14614
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Samsung arent panicking all they have to do is this:

"We will strengthen our product competitiveness by reinforcing our premium brand reputation, powerful product line-up, and cutting-edge technology"

Seems doable.

We will try harder to tell you how awesome we are.
Old 19th July 2014, 11:20     #14615
Spink

Samsung makes premium smartphones?? I guess compared to a windows phone, maybe.

Last edited by Spink : 19th July 2014 at 11:22.
Old 19th July 2014, 12:32     #14616
_indigo1

Have you USED a Galaxy S4? Beats the crap out of an iPhone.
(vanilla KitKat, no tweaks or addons/apps)

Last edited by _indigo1 : 19th July 2014 at 12:36.
Old 19th July 2014, 16:18     #14617
mpx

The only thing good about the S3/4/5 is the camera, the rest is god-awful and a far, far cry from anything premium.

I don't even like iOS phones but I would happily take my wife's 5S over any Samsung phone.
Old 19th July 2014, 16:18     #14618
mpx

The only thing good about the S3/4/5 is the camera, the rest is god-awful and a far, far cry from anything premium.

I don't even like iOS phones but I would happily take my wife's 5S over any Samsung phone.
Old 19th July 2014, 17:49     #14619
CCS
Stunt Pants

I like my S3 :/
Old 19th July 2014, 18:36     #14620
mpx

IT DOESN'T LIKE YOU BACK
Old 19th July 2014, 19:04     #14621
CCS
Stunt Pants

It does! it told me
Old 20th July 2014, 01:23     #14622
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Galaxy S phones are so fucking fragile. About the only thing they can do next is make one that DOESNT break or crack for a change.

I heard the new iPhone is going to have a sapphire glass screen which is supposed to be very difficult to scratch or break. Pretty good idea.
Old 20th July 2014, 02:57     #14623
_indigo1

Fragile? You can run over an S4/S5 active with a lawnmower and it still functions (although the screen will be damaged)
But yeah, the standard probably isn't as tough as an iPhail
Old 20th July 2014, 04:09     #14624
crocos

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 20th July 2014, 11:39     #14625
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

It's a bit like arguing that a Toyota Corolla is better than a Ferrari. The Ferrari owners are never going to agree - and the samsung owners will never understand why.
Old 20th July 2014, 13:39     #14626
_indigo1

Indeed not,
It's more like a boyracer who truly believes that his car is faster because it has racing stripes down the side and a brand logo engraved into the bonnet, and everyone who doesn't get one is just poor; whilst his friends generally laugh at him for paying more for a car that is no better than theirs, but also has no power windows, no central locking, and a bonnet welded shut.

Listen to Offspring - Pretty fly for a white guy - that song personifies it quite well.

Last edited by _indigo1 : 20th July 2014 at 13:41.
Old 20th July 2014, 14:28     #14627
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Why do you think price matters?

Revlon lipstick costs 3.1 cents US to manufacture. Now tell me, what price is it sold for? Do the people who buy it care about this? Contrast this with people who buy a similar product for $1.

Last edited by Golden Teapot : 20th July 2014 at 14:30.
Old 20th July 2014, 22:40     #14628
_indigo1

That's kind of my point...
Old 21st July 2014, 10:13     #14629
mpx

My friend dropped her S3 from waist height and now the home button only works half the time haha.

A workmate also dropped his from waist height but it had no case so it shattered the screen, it was kinda funny because when it landed the back popped off and cartwheeled down a concrete hill.

Luckily I've not dropped mine yet, although laughing at other's misfortunes I bet I'm due for it.
Old 21st July 2014, 13:45     #14630
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

omg Indigo, so much fail, so much that it cannot actually be put into words and just can't be fucked, not enough strength and I'm sure I'm not alone in realising that even if someone went to the trouble of spelling it out for you you STILL wouldn't get it.
Old 21st July 2014, 19:30     #14631
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by _indigo1
That's kind of my point...
I wonder if it is. Let's test shall we? What one word best describes what is being bought by the person buying a stick of lipstick? No cheating now - do this without help.
Old 21st July 2014, 20:17     #14632
?>Superman

http://oneplus.net - anyone scored one of these yet?
Old 21st July 2014, 20:21     #14633
?>Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWDOWN
I hope the 6 does get Sapphire. Out of contract next month and am looking forward to a 4.7" iPhone.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...unscathed.html
Always wanted an excuse to buy a Vertu, since Nokia's Vertu devices have been doing Sapphire Crystal Screen for ages now, those screens are damn cool.

I think all of the next gen phones will adopt that screen though, Ubuntu One was supposed to come out with it too.
Old 21st July 2014, 23:56     #14634
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?>Superman
http://oneplus.net - anyone scored one of these yet?
'Sif anyone would admit to it - they'd get spammed with requests for invites, lol.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 22nd July 2014, 17:44     #14635
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

https://threatpost.com/researcher-id...-in-ios/107335

Basically iOS is 0wned.

Quote:
Some of the undocumented services and features in iOS map pretty closely to capabilities attributed to some of the NSA’s tools, specifically DROPOUTJEEP, which was revealed by documents leaked by Edward Snowden. Zdziarski said that he is not pointing to these services as intentional backdoors for the intelligence community, but he believes there is evidence that the agency may be using them, nonetheless.

“I’m not saying at all that Apple is working with the NSA,” he said. “But at the very least, there’s a very strong case to say that the NSA knows about and exploits these capabilities.”
Old 22nd July 2014, 19:03     #14636
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Let me get this straight. If you unlock your iPhone, plug it in to a PC with a cable, run iTunes, click "I TRUST THIS COMPUTER", and then run a diagnostic utility, that computer might be able to access your data?

HOLY SHIT TIM WHYYYYYYY
Old 22nd July 2014, 23:59     #14637
chiQ
Frag-muff

I killed an iPhone by dropping it

I had to drop it a butt-load of times to get it to malfunction, but it did eventually break after I stopped keeping it in a case and dropped it on a concrete floor.

It took an absolute beating over a prolonged period, and didn't break for ages. I keep the new one in its case, so it probably won't die for even longer. They don't feel as nice to hold, so there's no point in keeping it naked anyway.

I'm hard on phones, because I hate handbags and chick pockets are just too small. I drop them a lot, and sometimes, if they come out of my hand when I'm walking I kind of throw them. Poor chiQphones...
Old 23rd July 2014, 00:25     #14638
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
plug it in to a PC with a cable
lol. because android.

them poor poors and their cables.
Old 23rd July 2014, 11:38     #14639
blur^

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiQ
Poor chiQphones...
So I am guessing you are not gonna go for one of the new 4.7/5.5 phones?
Old 23rd July 2014, 15:01     #14640
creamcheese

Anyone seen, bought or waiting for one of these?

http://www.gsmarena.com/oppo_find_7-6214.php

considering switching teams, oh and getting a droid.