NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Technology & Troubleshooting
User Name
Password

Old 14th August 2012, 12:47     #10721
xor

Anyone experienced issues with Ipads/Iphones causing the exchange server to spike in CPU utilisation?

Exchange user monitor showing one particular user causing the issue. Ze internet points to corrupt contact or calendar entry but I can't see anything
Old 14th August 2012, 12:50     #10722
p01s0n

try turning off contacts and calendar on the device so it wipes the items from it, then turn them back on so it pulls down the info again.
Old 14th August 2012, 13:16     #10723
xor

Sweet, done that and haven't seen it since.

Love how easy it is to support.
Old 14th August 2012, 13:22     #10724
p01s0n

owns eh
Old 14th August 2012, 17:55     #10725
Furry Crew

All I can say is that all this is cyclical.
Remember when EVERYONE had the same Nokia brick phone....
Then the Razr was THE phone to have and it was everywhere....
Once upon a time if you wanted email on your phone it was a Blackberry and daylight 2nd.....

In afew years time <Unknown China brand Cellphone manufacturer> may be dominating the market.

You just never know

Old 14th August 2012, 19:31     #10726
Whiplash
Bobo Fettish

Cyclical?
Old 14th August 2012, 19:32     #10727
p01s0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furry Crew
All I can say is that all this is cyclical.
Remember when EVERYONE had the same Nokia brick phone....
Then the Razr was THE phone to have and it was everywhere....
Once upon a time if you wanted email on your phone it was a Blackberry and daylight 2nd.....

In afew years time <Unknown China brand Cellphone manufacturer> may be dominating the market.

You just never know
sounds like poors-talk to me
Old 14th August 2012, 20:07     #10728
Foggerty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heresy
Vanity Fair investigate just how weird Ballmer is, how much he has ruined MS, and write a massive article about it.

http://www.vanityfair.com/business/2...-steve-ballmer

The comments are great; a few people pointing out (minor) flaws in the article (and trying to make it seem as if they make the article totally wrong), and a bunch of ex employees all saying "yep, that's pretty much it, but let me tell you about something extra...."
Old 14th August 2012, 22:18     #10729
ipee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charismo'
where's ipee? I wanted to post this:

Faster, higher, stronger: the rise and rise of Samsung

Even mentions our favourite little Asymco analyst in this article. I could be wrong but i don't think he's a really big fan of Samsung. Maybe because his beloved Nokia was driven into the ground by Samsung? Who knows.
Old 14th August 2012, 23:20     #10730
crocos

An unsubstantiated fluff-piece from ipee? Whodathunkit?

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 15th August 2012, 00:01     #10731
ipee

It's actually from a Sydney Herald tech writer idiot
Old 15th August 2012, 00:19     #10732
CCS
Stunt Pants

A picture of an ipee in the wild:

Old 15th August 2012, 00:27     #10733
ipee

Old 15th August 2012, 00:29     #10734
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipee
Most of whom are on the Samsung payroll in one form or another.
Old 15th August 2012, 00:46     #10735
ipee

Yep.....big, nasty Samsung trying to enslave the world.
Old 15th August 2012, 01:04     #10736
CCS
Stunt Pants

Trying to enslave the world by paying everyone? Funny idea of slavery you got there. Still, sounds like it pays well; I wonder how I can become enslaved and get some of that sweet Samsung cash.
Old 15th August 2012, 01:51     #10737
p01s0n

Quote:
hey there slugger, how was school today?
Old 15th August 2012, 08:10     #10738
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Quote:
Does calling the tech writer an idiot really help your argument?
Old 15th August 2012, 12:30     #10739
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Most of whom are on the Samsung payroll in one form or another.
Quote:
Yep.....big, nasty Samsung trying to enslave the world.
Allow me to explain.

The Fairfax reporting and editorial team are collectively a bunch of lazy hacks who will report whatever is easiest and who will publish whatever gets them paid. Usually this takes the form of copying and pasting material from other sources where someone else has already done all the work.

For example, since we're talking about the tech section, let's do a google search for the byline "This post was originally published on Mashable":

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=%...ite:smh.com.au

oh lol.

That appears to be the case for the article that ipee linked to - it was a copy and paste from The Guardian, and even then the author is a feature writer with no apparent tech background (his most recent work consists of puff pieces about the Olympics and a book about butterflies). I note that when originally posted at the Guardian's site, the Samsung article was tweaked for eyeballs looking for sports news - the original headline was

Samsung: Olympic smartphone firm aims for big global wins

Strangely enough that headline had been removed by the time the article was copied and pasted by the Fairfax repeaters - sorry, reporters - and when it appeared in the SMH the headline was

Faster, higher, stronger: the rise and rise of Samsung

Now the "lazy hack" phenomenon is even more pronounced among the tech "journalists" because they've often been hired because they know about this interweb thing and I hear we need to do that stuff, rather than coming from an actual reporting background. One thing that's very obvious is the way that Samsung buys good coverage in Australia, particularly around product launches and trade shows. Samsung has decided that bribing journalists is a way to catch up as fast as it can. I'm not dissing Samsung for it, that's just part of their marketing plan. That's Asia for you.

Samsung flies SMH tech repeaters around the world to attend tech events and report on how awesome Samsung is. Everyone in the tech and media industries knows this. That's why I made that comment about them being on the Samsung payroll. However in Australia there's now a bit more visibility of this sort of stuff thanks to what became known as the "Cash for Comment" scandal, and so now even the repeaters have to acknowledge how they managed to fly business class to Las Vegas during CES and stay in a suite at the Venetian on Fairfax journos' salaries.

Just for fun let's google for the phrase "guest of Samsung" on the SMH site. I'm sure that will be an uncommon phrase and hardly return any results, especially from the tech sectio--

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=%...Asmh.com.au+au

Oh.

So bearing all that fun in mind, ask yourself why that particular Guardian article got chosen to be copied and pasted onto the SMH site, and what influences might have been at play in the way the headline got mysteriously re-written to "THE RISE AND RISE OF SAMSUNG".
Old 15th August 2012, 12:42     #10740
p01s0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
So bearing all that fun in mind, ask yourself why that particular Guardian article got chosen to be copied and pasted onto the SMH site, and what influences might have been at play in the way the headline got mysteriously re-written to "THE RISE AND RISE OF SAMSUNG".
hey man, the kid probably has enough homework already no need to pile more on the lil guy
Old 15th August 2012, 13:04     #10741
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Just for fun let's google for the phrase "guest of Samsung" on the SMH site.
Less hits than "guest of apple" Though looks like Samsung have only been doing it since 2010, while Apple started in 2007.. Samesung playing catchup again!

Last edited by Saladin : 15th August 2012 at 13:06.
Old 15th August 2012, 13:12     #10742
CCS
Stunt Pants

Old 15th August 2012, 13:23     #10743
p01s0n

Old 15th August 2012, 16:30     #10744
TnT

Interesting articles have emerged in the last day or so regarding the iPhones security
Old 15th August 2012, 21:06     #10745
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

As of today new installations of Flash are disabled on Android.
Old 15th August 2012, 21:39     #10746
p01s0n

Lol.
Old 15th August 2012, 22:57     #10747
Bent

Can't miss what you never had I suppose. Still, thanks Steve for providing an incentive for developers to create non-shit websites, and thanks Adobe for providing something that worked in the mean time.
Old 15th August 2012, 23:02     #10748
ipee

Well another of the major analysts has just posted their "estimates". Pretty much come to same conclusion as every other so far.
Old 15th August 2012, 23:09     #10749
Icarus

I really hope Apple don't fuck up the IP5 and they have something in it that sets it apart from Android, it's only the competition between the two platforms that enables us all to have cool stuff..
I don't give a fuck who makes what.. as long as I get more innovative shit.
Old 15th August 2012, 23:16     #10750
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Well another of the major analysts has just posted their "estimates". Pretty much come to same conclusion as every other so far.
Quote from article:

Quote:
Samsung’s Galaxy line of devices accounted for more than half of all Android sales, reaching 45.6 million devices sold
That's the point at which a sensible reader would realise that all the numbers are guesses.
Old 15th August 2012, 23:43     #10751
CCS
Stunt Pants

I found another picture of ipee. Or, rather, his footwear.

After he's done wearing his shoes, he eats them with soup.
Old 16th August 2012, 00:34     #10752
ipee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus
I really hope Apple don't fuck up the IP5 and they have something in it that sets it apart from Android, it's only the competition between the two platforms that enables us all to have cool stuff..
I don't give a fuck who makes what.. as long as I get more innovative shit.
Couldn't agree more. Upcoming launch is a very crucial time for Apple. I certainly wouldn't want to see them bomb the release of it's next IP. The world needs Apple to stay strong, heck...Samsung needs Apple to stay strong! Apple at the moment provides that benchmark that Samsung has always required to perform strongly, tends to lose it's way once it gets ahead as seen in it's TV division.
Old 16th August 2012, 01:38     #10753
Charismo'

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Old 16th August 2012, 01:41     #10754
Charismo'

Quote:
Couldn't agree more. Upcoming launch is a very crucial time for Apple. I certainly wouldn't want to see them bomb the release of it's next IP. The world needs Apple to stay strong, heck...Samsung needs Apple to stay strong! Apple at the moment provides that benchmark that Samsung has always required to perform strongly, tends to lose it's way once it gets ahead as seen in it's TV division.
Some more homework for you kiddo:

http://garyes.stormloader.com/its.html
Old 16th August 2012, 02:18     #10755
ipee

Yeah somehow I don't think my nexus 7 gives a shit lol
Old 16th August 2012, 09:03     #10756
Charismo'

http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/15/32...te-10-1-review

5.4/10 from Nilay. Ouch - touchwiz to blame.

I know stylus is last decade but there is something about them that I like, which as the review says:

Quote:
"It’s no secret that I’ve been excited to review the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 for weeks now. I spend all day editing and critiquing documents, and I’ve been imagining a parallel world created by the Note’s stylus: a world where I edit articles with red ink instead of a track changes dialog, where I suggest layout revisions with a quick dash of a pen instead of screenshots and email, and where I am really good at drawing cars that turn into airplanes."
Old 16th August 2012, 10:36     #10757
p01s0n

anything below a 7/10 on the verge is basically "don't go near this/we didn't get paid enough to ignore it's flaws".
Old 16th August 2012, 10:42     #10758
Charismo'

true. although those guys wouldn't take pay to give a good review (if you listen to their podcasts, they are completely irreverent to their sponsors).
Old 16th August 2012, 11:53     #10759
p01s0n

Lol thanks, I needed a good laugh this morning
Old 16th August 2012, 12:40     #10760
Charismo'

right. so have you like.. ever listened to one of their podcasts, or not?