NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 18th June 2020, 18:42     #841
Lightspeed

ZoSo right in there with the shitty narrative they want you to be angry about.
Old 18th June 2020, 18:59     #842
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
And then you here that Chris Bishop helped the 2 get the exemption.
He asked for them to be tested quickly.
Old 18th June 2020, 20:28     #843
StN
I have detailed files

Let ever this straight. People convicted but unable to serve PD during lockdown have had the requirement wiped. How much drama am I and the rest of my bubble now in credit for? Shopliftimg? White collar embezzlement? DIC?

How big is my free pass?
Old 19th June 2020, 00:02     #844
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Newshub has learned Air Commodore Darryn 'Digby' Webb, who was recently appointed to manage the border, isn't so new after all.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern announced Webb would take charge of protecting New Zealand's borders on Tuesday.

However, he has actually been "responsible" for a while. A spokesman confirming, he "started four weeks ago".

Therefore Webb was already in charge when the two women with COVID-19 were allowed to leave quarantine under a compassionate exemption.

Newshub requested an interview with Webb on Thursday, but he was unavailable.
The wheels are falling off this spinfest
Old 19th June 2020, 02:17     #845
Lightspeed

My take is that the MoH's normal role is ensuring DHBs are cracking down on their spending. This whole being responsible with a focus on community health is a new challenge for staff.
Old 19th June 2020, 11:54     #846
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Health Minister David Clark has alleged in Parliament that National MP Chris Bishop lobbied for the early release from quarantine of two sisters who later tested positive for coronavirus.
Bishop's response:

If Bishop's timeline is accurate (presumably Parliamentary emails have timestamps) by the time he even became aware of this on Saturday afternoon the women were almost in Wellington having been released from quarantine untested on Saturday morning.

Something something dirty politics, Labour style
Old 19th June 2020, 11:58     #847
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
My take is that the MoH's normal role is ensuring DHBs are cracking down on their spending. This whole being responsible with a focus on community health is a new challenge for staff.
Yep.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-z...of-health.html
Old 23rd June 2020, 16:52     #848
Nich

https://twitter.com/saifedean/status...65008019357696

Quote:
The fiat scientific method:

1. If the drug cannot be patented, do everything to make it look bad. See Hydroxychloriquine, which costs ~$0.64/pill:

1.a. A trial on HCQ used a near-lethal dose on patients:
HCQ is bad for the stock market, so if you suggest it is harmless you're a:
A) white supremacist or race traitor 2020
B) Sexual predator 2017
C) Terrorist 2008
Old 23rd June 2020, 16:57     #849
Nich

also:

Dr Fauci has admitted to lying about effectiveness of wearing face masks to secure supply for medical professionals.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/leahba...masks-n2570789

https://thehill.com/changing-america...-to-wear-masks

The next thing that comes out of his mouth is a lie, or not a lie. #hypernormalization
Old 23rd June 2020, 16:58     #850
Lightspeed

Twitter doesn't seem the best place to learn how to assess evidence in a domain where I am a layperson...
Old 25th June 2020, 09:11     #851
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Health Minister David Clark brutally throws Dr Ashley Bloomfield under the bus while standing right next to him

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/polit...xt-to-him.html
Old 25th June 2020, 17:29     #852
Lightspeed

I want to comment, but I don't want to give the impression of defending or supporting either Clark or Tova.

However if Bloomfield is responsible for anything, it's NZ's ability to breath freely right now.
Old 25th June 2020, 19:26     #853
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

It takes a... unique sense of self-confidence to kick the most beloved and respected man in NZ in the nuts on the evening news.
Old 26th June 2020, 20:04     #854
blynk

Just add it to the rest of the "Reading the room wrong" things he has done.

I wonder if anyone would care if they just made Bloomfield Minister of Health
Old 26th June 2020, 21:33     #855
crocos

Following that there was a Twitter campaign to raise a chunk of dosh to send AB a thank you gift. Dr Bloomfield was asked about it and said to send the money to charity. Over $1900 was raised in 1 day, ended up being donated to two charities - The Aunties (anti DV charity) and I can't recall the other offhand.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 26th June 2020, 22:45     #856
Nothing

GFC 2008 v2.0, 2019 Coronavirus edition:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...llapse/612247/
Old 26th June 2020, 23:11     #857
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing
GFC 2008 v2.0, 2019 Coronavirus edition:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...llapse/612247/
So what Nich posted already?

If the forums were more active than they are nowadays I might not criticize you for effectively reposting a Random Thoughts item, but frankly there's bugger all going on here nowadays.

Old 26th June 2020, 23:13     #858
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

The politicisation of Covid in the USA has kinda made discussion of the pandemic a political statement. It's a disease where even to acknowledge that those 150,000-something Americans died is to take a side in an argument. Jesus, how messed up is that?
Old 26th June 2020, 23:15     #859
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Jesus, how messed up is that?
The way you phrased that has all the Yanks up in arms

But yes, agreed.

Old 26th June 2020, 23:22     #860
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

That's more than half the US combat deaths in WWII. It's more than the combined US combat deaths in Korea, Vietnam, Afghanistan, and Iraq. And half the country either doesn't believe it, doesn't care, or has memory holed it!
Old 27th June 2020, 03:12     #861
Lightspeed

Old 27th June 2020, 17:12     #862
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
So what Nich posted already?

If the forums were more active than they are nowadays I might not criticize you for effectively reposting a Random Thoughts item, but frankly there's bugger all going on here nowadays.
Oh. Sorry, yeah, I don't really read the random thoughts thread much/at all.
Old 27th June 2020, 18:28     #863
Nich

KFC Moscow fully automated front of house.
https://youtu.be/ll4sBTF67Jk

"Destroying shitty jobs and replacing them with better jobs" as Vitalik would say.
Old 28th June 2020, 10:42     #864
Nich

NYT extremely late to the party acknowledging that NCOV2 cripples the immune system, has characteristics similar to HIV, and has RNA insertions that match HIV.
Old 28th June 2020, 11:00     #865
Nich

link to article for what it's worth:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/26/h...e=articleShare

how long until the other shoe drops and we can properly address the likely scenario that this virus was a clumsy lab leak from funded coronavirus research intended to AVERT a possible pandemic

Lab-Made? SARS-CoV-2 Genealogy Through the Lens of Gain-of-Function Research
https://medium.com/@yurideigin/lab-m...h-f96dd7413748
Old 28th June 2020, 11:24     #866
Nothing

"And no, its genome would not necessarily contain hallmarks of human manipulation: modern genetic engineering tools permit cutting and pasting genomic fragments without leaving a trace."

I have a feeling this is mistaken. From what I understand, the cutting and pasting of genomic fragments IS the trace. Basically, what has been done is a comparison of the genome in the corona virus to genomes found in the wild, and there is a high enough degree of similarity between the one found in the wild, and the one humans have, that it is almost certainly not made in a lab. I could be wrong, but I suspect that the scientific community would have been making a lot of noise about it being different from the ones found in the wild if it had been tampered with in a lab. Instead, they're saying it hasn't been.
Old 28th June 2020, 14:12     #867
Nich

It's an argument that is difficult to disprove on the matter of obvious modification in a lab. It is asking the other side to prove a negative. The onus is on finding proof that a modification has occurred. In this case the writer believes that virus RNA synthesis, splicing, and editing is commonplace and therefore it's a balance of probabilities.

The counter argument I heard early on was from virologists saying we don't need to study human-made viruses because mother nature is extremely good at generating interesting viruses to study. Which seems to completely gloss over gain of function research, and that virologists do commonly create and study chimera viruses.

Hell, there are vaccine researchers synthesizing human-friendly viruses to combat COVID19. So I feel like there is a big curtain behind which we will see how the virologists make the sausage, except the whole industry will show that many labs pose an existential threat to humanity.

I have no doubt virus experimentation through splicing and synthesizing is off to the races with little moral / ethical guidance especially in China. Hell, we. have 15-year old technology like CRISPR to edit DNA
Old 28th June 2020, 14:21     #868
Nich

here is Bret Weinstein's interview with the author:

https://youtu.be/q5SRrsr-Iug

Bret Weinstein is an evolutionary biologist so it goes deep on the science.
Old 28th June 2020, 15:47     #869
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich
how long until the other shoe drops and we can properly address the likely scenario that this virus was a clumsy lab leak from funded coronavirus research intended to AVERT a possible pandemic[/url]
Maybe, maybe not. Either likelihood seems plausible, not really in a position to assess the facts any further, what I believe would be down to who I trust.

In any case, when you don't maintain your car, the first thing on it to fail isn't the reason your car won't run. I don't see the value in chasing any exact event that can be said to have led to the pandemic.
Old 2nd July 2020, 09:36     #870
crocos

Sad

So there's a return to level 3 restrictions as of today in Victoria.

Interestingly it's only for some Melbourne post codes - not even all of Melbourne - I understand this trip be the v areas worst hit by C19 hot spots.

I have every faith that even people in those areas are going to ignite those restrictions, it maybe just pay lip-service.,. Why? To hard to enforce!

Old 2nd July 2020, 10:28     #871
Nich

Yep it's a joke to lockdown by postcode.

West brunswick on lockdown
East Brunswick on lockdown
Brunswick not on lockdown...

By being this specific I suppose they are signalling to the population that they are very effective at track & trace of COVID clusters and individuals... even with years of planning I highly doubt the government could ever be effective at this task.
Old 2nd July 2020, 17:28     #872
Ajax
Architeuthis

Quote:
I don't see the value in chasing any exact event that can be said to have led to the pandemic.
Although I don’t subscribe to the lab leak scenario, gaining a more precise understanding of the origins and early transmission phase of the virus would have significant value for epidemiological and microbiological research.
Old 2nd July 2020, 17:42     #873
Lightspeed

Absolutely, for academics and experts.

Except... well, why make the effort? If the findings are inconvenient they'll be ignored or politicised.
Old 2nd July 2020, 17:59     #874
Ajax
Architeuthis

Quote:
Except... well, why make the effort.
For the possibility of a beneficial outcome and the advancement of human knowledge.
Old 2nd July 2020, 18:14     #875
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax
Although I don’t subscribe to the lab leak scenario, gaining a more precise understanding of the origins and early transmission phase of the virus would have significant value for epidemiological and microbiological research.
Old 2nd July 2020, 18:27     #876
Ajax
Architeuthis

Hey, at least they had time travel in that universe.
Old 2nd July 2020, 18:31     #877
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax
For the possibility of a beneficial outcome and the advancement of human knowledge.
Ah, for future generations in case human knowledge is in vogue again. I mean, I guess.
Old 2nd July 2020, 18:38     #878
Lightspeed

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
This is too good btw.
Old 2nd July 2020, 18:41     #879
Ajax
Architeuthis

facepalm

Quote:
Ah, for future generations in case human knowledge is in vogue again. I mean, I guess.
Yeah, we’re at such a standstill right now.
Old 2nd July 2020, 18:56     #880
Lightspeed

What I don't understand is why are you bothering? I'm totally up for a fight if you want, but it has to be over something we're actually talking about. Clipping my comments and responding to the remains as if they're the whole comment doesn't work.

Go back, start at my analogy of the car, keep that in mind if you want to respond to what I'm saying. We're having different discussions otherwise.