Password

Old 11th January 2021, 19:32     #241
Lightspeed

Old 11th January 2021, 22:20     #242
pxpx

Pretty bang on innit
Old 12th January 2021, 13:43     #243
Lightspeed

It's a stark reminder that these things are a consequence of being human, rather than specific evil people. We've all got psychological hooks that we're vulnerable to, if we don't take care to protect ourselves, each other.

Spartacus does a good job describing, at least one set of phenomena succinctly:

The Neurology of Hate - WW2 - War Against Humanity SPECIAL
Old 12th January 2021, 13:49     #244
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

In spite of the fact that I hate social media, I am also very interested in social media. SO of course I have an account on Parler. Well, did. But that's not the weird bit.

Before the service got cancelled, some genius made this post:

People fell for it. It turned into an enormous thread of rioters leaving their names, addresses, and descriptions of the crimes they committed because they thought they were signing up to Daddy Trump's pardon list.
Old 12th January 2021, 13:53     #245
Lightspeed

Wonderful. 💕
Old 12th January 2021, 14:59     #246
blynk

Haha, too awesome.
Old 13th January 2021, 09:27     #247
The Edge

Sensational.
Also: https://www.cnet.com/news/parler-use...location-data/
Old 13th January 2021, 11:16     #248
StN
I have detailed files

^^ Brilliant! The Wikileaks of tomorrow.
Old 13th January 2021, 22:00     #249
Nich

It's almost as if Parler was an intentional honey trap to lure the extremist idiots to a site where they feel safe to air their unsavoury thoughts without fear of Facebook / Twitter style silencing. Then from the toxic ooze, observe and see if any qAnon shamans emerge to groom and sponsor to lead a "coup" that is destined to fail a la Liberty City Seven (or Chris Morris' The Day Shall Come).

Operation complete: Shut down site with Amazon AWS cover story, and archive all posts for future prosecution

Last edited by Nich : 13th January 2021 at 22:02.
Old 13th January 2021, 22:42     #250
Lightspeed

It's certainly within the realm of possibility. However Occam's Razor tells me it as just idiots doing their thing. Especially given it's only really now Twitter and co have started taking white extremists seriously.
Old 14th January 2021, 11:18     #251
StN
I have detailed files

Just saw the Impeached headline in a meeting. Someone mentioned that Clinton got that, and last time Trump got off - I said that it was Clinton getting off that started it. Not appropriate for mixed company?
Old 14th January 2021, 11:21     #252
Lightspeed

Laugh

I lolled.
Old 14th January 2021, 11:56     #253
The Edge

Well let's see what happens next. I don't think enough Republicans will get on board to take it much further though.
Old 14th January 2021, 13:05     #254
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Edge
Well let's see what happens next. I don't think enough Republicans will get on board to take it much further though.
Really?
I thought there were more senators on side to do it that house reps.
And hasn't the senate changed to the 50:50 split, or has that not taken affect yet.
So assuming all the left are for it, then it would only take 1 to swap.
Old 14th January 2021, 13:09     #255
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Edge
Well, it's up to the Senate now, but Trump will be out of office by the time the Senate is back. I think even the GOP has to realize how bad Trump is for business now, so will fly the flag, certainly, by which I mean MOST of them will vote to not impeach, but I think (or more accurately hope) they'll let it through.

Then again no American president has ever actually been impeached at Senate level, so who knows. Given he'll be out of office by then they may have the balls to actually go through with it.

In other carryings-on, mate of mine with friends in the states on Facebook - one of his friends started going on a rant about Trump won the popular vote by millions, is an excellent speaker, those that stormed the Hill were true patriots etc.... it was a truly surreal experience reading someone that is nominally not stupid (he's a civil engineer) go right down the rabbit hole.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 14th January 2021, 14:48     #256
blynk

Similar here.
A school friend in the US (and an extremely smart dude), seeing some of the comments on his posts, and the shit he has to put up with.

He is really good at responding reasonably, but then gets to a point with the person that he just unfriends.
Old 14th January 2021, 19:56     #257
The Edge

Oh for sure. One of my sisters-in-law (who isn't a hick or anything) said to me not long after the election was called for Joe, "Biden thinks he's won" - I was saying, sweetheart he has won. There's no thinking about it...Trump lost fair and square.
Then she pivoted and said how 5 colleagues at her work had coronavirus and she was just "sick of it" (life in general).
So much winning. I guess he really did Make America Great Again...for everyone who doesn't live there.
Old 14th January 2021, 21:11     #258
Lightspeed

We all have a great capacity to selectively pay attention to reality I suppose. You believe Trump has won and will be the next president, until he's not then politics isn't even a thing that crosses your mind any more.

The Senate will convict Trump if McConnell thinks he can make political bank from it. They might still convict otherwise, they might see they'll have to take a hit from Trump's supporters, but there's no winning in any case with Trump on board.
Old 14th January 2021, 21:11     #259
blynk

In a chat with a group of people I play a mobile game with, I got told "what would I know I don't live in the US".

I bit my tongue and was going to wait till Biden was officially potus before going back.
Apparently people not in the US can't see what clearly was happening. How the whole election played out to the script that trump knew would happen. He just maybe though he would have more luck in the courts
Old 14th January 2021, 23:10     #260
The Edge

facepalm

Oh since we don't live there, we're only being fed "fake news", or some such Trumpian-bs

Old 14th January 2021, 23:12     #261
The Edge

As to the clowns who think he's going to be sworn in as the next President next week, you can ask them htf that works when Trump himself has categorically stated he won't be attending the inauguration!?
Old 15th January 2021, 04:12     #262
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

https://www.reddit.com/r/QAnonCasualties/
Old 15th January 2021, 06:36     #263
Cyberbob

Wikipedia on 'Impeachment of Donald Trump'

That's quite a legacy.
Old 15th January 2021, 06:48     #264
StN
I have detailed files

One does have to admire all that he has achieved in such a short period - who would ever have thought he could make America a shithole country so quickly?
Old 15th January 2021, 13:09     #265
Lightspeed

The US has just taken a savaging, without a doubt.
Old 15th January 2021, 13:43     #266
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Trump's a symptom of the failure of the USA, not the cause.
Old 15th January 2021, 13:57     #267
Nich

Trump was also the pressure release valve.

Savaging just getting started imo.

A group of people just stormed the Capitol, a QAnon Shaman sat in Nancy Pelosi's chair, and they were met with almost no resistance. Just consider the optics on this: does it embolden, or discourage the extremists among the 70 million other Trump supporters? Are the police getting defunded, or are they heroes who need more support?

I heard the term American Arab Spring today (Michael Malice live stream), and that sounds about right. There are more US troops deployed in Washington than Afghanistan & Iraq combined.

Country is crippled by pandemic * growing wealth inequality. Stock market numbers go up & unemployment numbers go up. (Oh, and check out the lines for the food banks!) Tone deaf celebrities in their mansions singing "Imagine" and urging everyone to stay at home because "we're all in it together".

70 million people have already written off Biden & government as not serving their interests. For the rest, if the news is to be believed, Biden (good) will usher in a time of unity after Trump's (evil) division of the country. However, before unity must come redemption as every Trump supporter and enabler must be identified and re-educated. I'm sure that's going to go smoothly.

I have family in Austin (NZ born, kids born in US & lifelong pacifists) and last year the father got a gun licence and shotgun for security purposes.

Last edited by Nich : 15th January 2021 at 14:01.
Old 15th January 2021, 15:50     #268
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Trump's a symptom of the failure of the USA, not the cause.
Trump was a tool put to effective use by those seeking to savage the US. A tool of course made possible by the failings of the US, especially the long term efforts of politicians to disenfranchise voters.

I figure some smart people have a name for this kind of conflict. It's not the Cold War, but it's still a kind of violent, albeit non-physical, power struggle.
Old 15th January 2021, 22:45     #269
StN
I have detailed files

I think the name requires the use of the Cyrillic alphabet.
Old 16th January 2021, 09:32     #270
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
The US has just taken a savaging, without a doubt.
Failed coups are often followed by successful coups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
I figure some smart people have a name for this kind of conflict. It's not the Cold War, but it's still a kind of violent, albeit non-physical, power struggle.
Confict of the Orders
Old 16th January 2021, 12:16     #271
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
Failed coups are often followed by successful coups.
That did cross my mind. For some reason the Kapp Putsch was what I was reminded of.

There is that too, although I'm thinking more of inter-State conflict.
Old 16th January 2021, 12:52     #272
Nich

Wouldnt that first require that all players on Team A living in Team B states move to a Team A state? It looks, smells and quacks like a social inequality crisis.
Old 16th January 2021, 14:41     #273
Lightspeed

StN has the right of it.

Of course, there's more than one thing going on.

Last edited by Lightspeed : 16th January 2021 at 14:42.
Old 16th January 2021, 15:27     #274
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Headline of the day
Old 16th January 2021, 18:29     #275
The Edge

How about that horny guy, eh? Maybe Trump will see this...and ignore it.
https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...-pardon-459608
Old 17th January 2021, 08:37     #276
StN
I have detailed files

Bother - can't find that pic of the America's Cup US supporters launch from yesterday with bikini white shorts, more flags than a Trump rally, and horny guy on the back.
Old 17th January 2021, 14:03     #277
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Ну, погоди
Old 17th January 2021, 17:50     #278
The Edge

Huh?
Old 18th January 2021, 08:27     #279
sidbo
Raptus regaliter

The Q nut-bar has woken!

Crimson tide! Ohio 24 Alabama 52

2(4-5)2 2 terms for 45!

The J is for jenius

8D chess

Please, for the love of all that is comedy, live stream yourself watching the Inauguration!
Old 18th January 2021, 09:25     #280
pxpx

Wha?