Password

Old 29th May 2008, 22:10     #1
Ard Righ

WAR crafting video blog

http://mythicmktg.fileburst.com/war/..._crafting.html
Old 30th May 2008, 00:41     #2
A Corpse
talkative lurker

At first glance it's a little bit like LotRO, though I'd need to know more. In LotRO you cannot be self-sufficient in crafting without using multiple characters. Quite annoying for someone who likes being able to bring something to market themselves. It ended up causing bottlenecks in progression, and some serious competition for scarce resources.

That was all during beta btw. I haven't played it since release so they may have fixed that up.

I thought it was quite revealing how he mentioned that it will be for people who like to PvE, or RvR. Oh and also those who just want to craft a little bit.
Old 30th May 2008, 09:59     #3
Ard Righ

The key things are what MBJ said he didn't want it to be. No pointless grinding on items of zero value or use, and not recipe/plan/scroll based crafting.

So you don't have to grind to get the uber rare recipe for Potion of Biggest E-Penis. You just use your craft until your skill level gets high enough to try to make it.

The talismans are also interesting. They can only be added to rare or powerful armour and items. So that would realistically be the higher level PvE and PvP gear for each Tier.

The failed crafting mechanic will be good also, you can loss vendor provided mats, but not player provided mats.

Last edited by Ard Righ : 30th May 2008 at 10:00.
Old 30th May 2008, 12:35     #4
Draco T Bastard

Looks good although I hope that your experimenting is remembered in game with a recipe book. What I mean is that making a really good potion isn't going to be great if you can't remember what you put in it.
Old 30th May 2008, 14:25     #5
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

The experimentation looks nice, but it needs to be player based, if it's global recipe based then people will just look up on spoiler sites what ingredients to use to get which result.

A system where one player values squig meat and another wants cold one bones creates a better player economy and introduces bartering. It also adds an element of player skill to the equation, since it relies on you knowing what ingredients work for you.

Rather than just having squig meat be much better than cold one bones for everyone; which would just lead to mass farming of squigs, and many happy cold ones. Kind of like WoW where dreamfoil was "the" herb to farm.

I kind of miss SWG's crafting system TBH (apart from the levelling grind), nothing else has really come close in making player skill a factor in creating the items. The whole system of picking the best resources with the right attributes, then choosing where to put the points was great. It's the antithesis of WoW's lame crafting system where everyone is a max level crafter and the only difference is whether you've recieved uber-recipes from boss mobs.
Old 30th May 2008, 14:29     #6
Ard Righ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladin
The experimentation looks nice, but it needs to be player based, if it's global recipe based then people will just look up on spoiler sites what ingredients to use to get which result.

A system where one player values squig meat and another wants cold one bones creates a better player economy and introduces bartering. It also adds an element of player skill to the equation, since it relies on you knowing what ingredients work for you.

Rather than just having squig meat be much better than cold one bones for everyone; which would just lead to mass farming of squigs, and many happy cold ones. Kind of like WoW where dreamfoil was "the" herb to farm.

I kind of miss SWG's crafting system TBH (apart from the levelling grind), nothing else has really come close in making player skill a factor in creating the items. The whole system of picking the best resources with the right attributes, then choosing where to put the points was great. It's the antithesis of WoW's lame crafting system where everyone is a max level crafter and the only difference is whether you've recieved uber-recipes from boss mobs.
Good points. I think SWG had a good system too, which I commented on another forum. The success or failure of crafting being based on skill level of the crafter, and the quality of the materials - rather than always successful as long as you got the recipe.
SWG was also good that the end result would vary - so skillful crafters could make for example the lightning gun, which would vary in damage and rate of fire, based on a number of the above factors. So it again means the better skilled crafters will have a nice economy for themselves
Old 30th May 2008, 14:38     #7
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Exactly, SWG was the only game I've played where you actually care about who made your item, rather than just going for whoever is cheapest.

Vanguards system was approaching that, though not quite to the same level of detail - each item had 4 grades, A,B,C,D and it took skill to get the highest grade unless the item was well below your level and you could customise the item with powders from deconstructing other magic items. Probably the best crafting system of any recent MMO, its just a pity most of the rest of the game sucked.
Old 30th May 2008, 21:45     #8
Draco T Bastard

WoW's crafting system sux because it really is nothing more than what everyone else has got except the few that ground out the rare recipes. This one looks a lot better and far more involved and people won't all be selling the same stuff or even the same quality of the same stuff. This means that it will require more knowledge of the game from both the seller and the buyer.
Old 4th June 2008, 13:10     #9
Ard Righ

Some initial screenshots of crafting

http://www.warhammeralliance.com/for...ad.php?t=38675