Old 22nd January 2022, 16:10     #42962
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
his name is robert paulson
He's with the ghosts now.
Old 24th January 2022, 21:19     #42963
[fe]

Randomly I just recalled that Quake 4 existed and I did play it and the Enemy Territory was a thing. Before now I completely blanked.

Last edited by [fe] : 24th January 2022 at 21:21.
Old 25th January 2022, 13:06     #42964
MadMax
Stuff

Headphones are binaural not stereo.
Old 25th January 2022, 15:20     #42965
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

I made a 6510/C64 CPU simulator over the weekend, just by looking at the opcode descriptions in the Commodore Programmers Reference Manual and implementing their behaviour running ROMs from the internet. It acts on each opcode in 1 "tick", because I'm not actually an 8 bit machine that needs to set address lines and clock data out of a chip etc, I just have a 64k array of RAM bytes that I map the BASIC + KERNAL ROM over at the relevant addresses and read/write as appropriate.

I coded the behaviour for each opcode as it appeared at my program counter, and because there's 151 out of 256 "legal" codes, whenever I ended up at an address with an illegal opcode or if I ended up jumping to memory $0000 it meant I had a bug. It definitely did not run properly first time :P Now it actually runs the initialization routine and gets right into the BASIC loader and continually scans for a keypress [there is no keyboard input or screen output being displayed yet]. I can even map a cartridge ROM into $8000 and the KERNAL detects it and runs that code instead.
Old 25th January 2022, 16:11     #42966
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
his name is robert paulson
He would do anything for love, but he won't get vaxxed
Old 26th January 2022, 22:15     #42967
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Happy colonisation day from straya
Old 27th January 2022, 09:29     #42968
MadMax
Stuff

If you’re chatting with a Roger and you wanted to acknowledge something, would you say wilco?
Old 27th January 2022, 14:55     #42969
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Happy colonisation day from straya
So, are you a coloniser?
Old 27th January 2022, 15:43     #42970
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Man, I live in the whitest city in Australia in a state in which, if one were to put up a map and throw a dart at it, one would probably hit the location of a massacre of Aboriginal people, so it's hard not to feel like it. I'm an immigrant and I live and work on land that was stolen from its original owners and they didn't even get a Treaty to bring up after they got fucked.
Old 27th January 2022, 18:56     #42971
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Man, I live in the whitest city in Australia in a state in which, if one were to put up a map and throw a dart at it, one would probably hit the location of a massacre of Aboriginal people, so it's hard not to feel like it. I'm an immigrant and I live and work on land that was stolen from its original owners and they didn't even get a Treaty to bring up after they got fucked.
Add to that the perineal statement of "Let's send all the violent crims to an island* and let them sort themselves out!"

*Island/Cuntenant
Old 27th January 2022, 19:00     #42972
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/perineal
Old 28th January 2022, 14:21     #42973
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

The collapse of the /r/antiwork subreddit is the most internet thing this week.
Old 28th January 2022, 14:56     #42974
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I contend that its still a valid statement Most proponents would be talking out of their arse!
Old 28th January 2022, 16:34     #42975
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
The collapse of the /r/antiwork subreddit is the most internet thing this week.
Someone hoping for their /r/wallstreetbets moment.
Old 28th January 2022, 19:52     #42976
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I think it was a perfectly sensible idea to have as the movement's representative on the most-watched cable news show in the world an (checks notes) unprepared self-absorbed transgender sex offender.
Old 29th January 2022, 20:36     #42977
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Welcome to planet earth, where the ground is soaked in blood :/
Old 30th January 2022, 11:27     #42978
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
Welcome to planet earth, where the ground is soaked in blood :/
Probably more blood on the ground than oil now.
Old 31st January 2022, 11:39     #42979
xor

Learning how to perform Buffer overflow attacks is bringing back traumatic memories of polytech from a million years ago. I hated programming because I couldn't do the shit back then, therefore i hated it. But now, it's pretty rad.
Old 31st January 2022, 11:52     #42980
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
Learning how to perform Buffer overflow attacks is bringing back traumatic memories of polytech from a million years ago. I hated programming because I couldn't do the shit back then, therefore i hated it. But now, it's pretty rad.
Nice one bruv

I completed my [original method] factoring algorithm over the weekend - 22 years in the making (since I was 18) - it has a 100% pass rate, although there are still some optimizations to make before it's full speed (ie not single threaded Python, probably NodeJS so I can make it distributed). Watch this space

Quote:
Number of moves: 106
Result: 162259276829213363391578010288127 x 170141183460469231731687303715884105727

real 0m0.310s
Old 31st January 2022, 12:03     #42981
xor

I remember you talking about this when i was a 16 year old maggot, that's pretty awesome!

What are the use cases with this knowledge? Some juicy cryptographic ting?
Old 31st January 2022, 13:42     #42982
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Best case, it breaks RSA encryption (or other schemes based on the assumption that factoring large integers is computationally difficult).

Worst case, it's a bunch of ideas that are worthy of being published as an original contribution to mathematics, and could potentially be developed further.

Either way, it's a lifelong goal out of the way.
Old 31st January 2022, 14:14     #42983
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
Best case, it breaks RSA encryption (or other schemes based on the assumption that factoring large integers is computationally difficult).

Worst case, it's a bunch of ideas that are worthy of being published as an original contribution to mathematics, and could potentially be developed further.

Either way, it's a lifelong goal out of the way.

Like xor, I'm pretty sure you were already working on this (or contemplating it) when we met - good on you bro, that's bloody impressive.
Old 31st January 2022, 14:33     #42984
wazza
*flex*

Devil grin

GG
Old 1st February 2022, 19:35     #42985
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

4K Monitor Review

So I got a 4K monitor, because the numbers were bigger.

Not gonna say I have buyer's remorse necessarily, but it's certainly not an all round upgrade. It's a bit of a trade-off. More resolution = more real estate? Well yes, but you have to scale everything at 150% to read it, so you don't get the effective real estate you expected - or you do at 100% but you have to get right up close to use it. There's also an issue with things scaling and not working "nicely", such as:

If anyone knows a Windows/OS level fix for this, with scaling still enabled, I'd appreciate hearing it. If it's just an application level (VLC in this case) problem, I guess I just have to wait for them to get around to fixing it. I've only had the monitor since this morning, so I'm sure there'll be other apps with graphic incompatibilities - I'm aware that some music software struggles with scaling the GUI, so I'm expecting to see some of that. Weirdly the "Always on top" doesn't work in VLC with scaling either. I might just turn off scaling and push my head forward.

Similarly, web pages with GIF buttons are all scaled up and pixelated, and the rendered fonts are very noticeable next to the smooth "native" fonts.

Also, if you have a second monitor attached which is not scaled, then there is funky window behaviour as you move one from scaled to non-scaled - it arrives huge as it crosses the border then jumps to become small as it makes its way onto the screen. Kinda strange, and not ideal. I might get rid of my vertical monitor so I don't need to be reminded of this problem.

Conclusion: If you don't have 4K, don't stress, and check out someone else's before you buy one. It's not perfect, at least not on Windows 11 with scaling. It's probably better with Apple computers (like a Mac Mini), since Retina is a native part of their product lineup, so apps will be aware of high resolutions/scaling and I assume work more consistently. I think my old setup with two 1080p monitors, one landscape, one portrait is a better display config, but I'll give it time.
Old 1st February 2022, 19:39     #42986
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

in conclusion, Windows
Old 1st February 2022, 21:48     #42987
wazza
*flex*

just checked two windows 11 pc's, each with 4k @ 150% scaling

no issue on either. i don't actually use VLC outside of streaming IPTV. i use PotPlayer for local content, usually.
Old 1st February 2022, 22:36     #42988
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Thanks man, at least it gives me hope that that particular issue is solvable. I've resorted to Windows @ 100%, and browser zoom instead. I'll try updating VLC, or check out this potplayer.

Last edited by DrTiTus : 1st February 2022 at 22:39.
Old 1st February 2022, 22:42     #42989
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Ah choice, it only happens when you change the scaling while it's running. If you reopen it, it figures out the scaling properly.
Old 2nd February 2022, 05:41     #42990
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Whoopi Goldberg: "The Holocaust wasn't about race"

Old 3rd February 2022, 20:09     #42991
MadMax
Stuff

These people complaining about banks taking money from the sale of one house for payment on a mortgage of another - are they really so surprised and have they not got an agreed Section 92 priority amount?
Old 12th February 2022, 10:28     #42992
wazza
*flex*

Cunning linguist

Week view

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Saturday
Old 14th February 2022, 20:59     #42993
Savage

RIP Ivan Reitman
Old 15th February 2022, 19:35     #42994
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Thousands of people who thought they were good Christians are going to hell.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-...-ine/100830676
Old 25th February 2022, 13:46     #42995
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

RIP Vai'iga Tuigamala.
Old 25th February 2022, 14:27     #42996
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Council pulls livestream after offensive subtitle blunder

Quote:
The staff member has just made comments that people could "check in with a RAT test", but this was translated in a subtitle as "chicken rape". The words RAT test were also misconstrued as "rape kit".
Old 25th February 2022, 15:17     #42997
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

how is that a) offensive or b) a blunder?
Old 25th February 2022, 21:41     #42998
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
And Joeli Vidiri on the same day, crazy
Old 25th February 2022, 23:10     #42999
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Wtf, really?

RIP.
Old 28th February 2022, 19:00     #43000
Lightspeed