Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > The year of rugby
User Name
Password

Old 5th October 2011, 20:57     #1
Lightspeed

Wacked NZRU wtf?

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/rugby-...o%27s-comemnts

Seriously, what is with this guy? I dunno about anyone else, I think there'd be some explaining to do by the NZRU if the All Blacks weren't in the next world cup.
Old 5th October 2011, 21:18     #2
p-b

I guess Tew is trying to make a point on the state of affairs in relation to the strict and (alledgedly) archaic rules that the IRB place upon national unions at time of the World Cup.

Fifa World Cup nations are able to leverage their World Cup participation against sponsorship deals allowing them to make some extra money out of being there.

At the moment, from the sounds of it, participating nations take a large hit in revenue from participating in the Rugby World Cup because they are restricted from gaining any extra revenue from sponsorship advertising other than that which is on their shirts)?

Not an expert in things marketing but perhaps some of the marketing/sponsorship professionals could add their informed opinion?
Old 5th October 2011, 21:27     #3
Phantom
May contain nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Seriously, what is with this guy? I dunno about anyone else, I think there'd be some explaining to do by the NZRU if the All Blacks weren't in the next world cup.
I consider it the NZRU's job to look after the best interests of Rugby in New Zealand. If they're best served by not attending the next World Cup in protest, so be it.

My understanding is that the IRB makes money hand over fist from the World Cup, while everyone else loses money. The host nation, the attending teams, the clubs that release their players, friends & families from minnows that chip in cash so their relatives can get there in the first place - etc.

That seems like a shit deal, no matter how you slice it - grants to various unions that result from WC revenue not withstanding.

Like I said, that's my understanding, as gleaned from watching various episodes of Cup Talk and skimming the odd article here and there.
Old 5th October 2011, 21:37     #4
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

The IRB are sour money-grabbing cunts.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10756595
Old 5th October 2011, 22:28     #5
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom
I consider it the NZRU's job to look after the best interests of Rugby in New Zealand. If they're best served by not attending the next World Cup in protest, so be it.

My understanding is that the IRB makes money hand over fist from the World Cup, while everyone else loses money. The host nation, the attending teams, the clubs that release their players, friends & families from minnows that chip in cash so their relatives can get there in the first place - etc.

That seems like a shit deal, no matter how you slice it - grants to various unions that result from WC revenue not withstanding.

Like I said, that's my understanding, as gleaned from watching various episodes of Cup Talk and skimming the odd article here and there.
Well, it sounds like there might be some good reasons for considering boycotting the world cup. Are other nations considering similar action? Has this had a lot of media coverage? I can't say I've heard anything about it, but then again my sports media exposure is pretty limited to the headlines.

Because if the All Blacks aren't in the next RWC (particularly if we're the only major player who pulls out), I would expect the reasons to be pretty bloody clear, with the support of the country.
Old 5th October 2011, 23:29     #6
blynk

This came out a last week. After Tew said it, the Aussie equivalent (can't remember his name) said they lose even more money.

I think Samoa may have as well, but if it really is the case, and NZ & Au drop out, it would really mess up the RWC and the game I think.

I liked the response from the IRB that it doesn't matter if the All Blacks aren't there. Thats a bit like saying it doesn't matter that the USA Basketball team don't attend a competition.
Old 5th October 2011, 23:39     #7
BoyWonder

It was John O'Neill. I like the backlash of "no-ones irreplacable" working both ways myself. IRB World Cup - or alternate breakaway Rugby World Championship - one has the best in the world competing and the other is left a failed comedy. The IRB could of course take all the criticism onboard and review their heavy handed stance but I doubt it.
Old 6th October 2011, 09:12     #8
PhX

The dude on CLive last night said it cost them 150mill to bring it here to NZ. 150mill $$$ ! And they get advertising and god know what else, their books must look pretty nice.
Old 6th October 2011, 18:21     #9
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Well, it sounds like there might be some good reasons for considering boycotting the world cup. Are other nations considering similar action?
I believe the NZRU has had calls of support from other nations but it remains to be seen if they'd actually follow suit and also pull out in protest. I would hope that the ABs being the absolute fucking stars that they are (and, y'know, also top ranked team) pulling out would give other nations the fortitude to also pull out. Wouldn't it be great if the top 3 or even top 5 teams said "We're all staying away from the next WC" and had a stare-down with the IRB? I would hope also that broadcasters from those nations would likewise offer significantly less to acquire the rights to screen the tournament.

Quote:
Has this had a lot of media coverage?
Yes.

Quote:
Because if the All Blacks aren't in the next RWC (particularly if we're the only major player who pulls out), I would expect the reasons to be pretty bloody clear, with the support of the country.
...and yes. Good on Tew for having the balls to say what needed to be said. He obviously hasn't gained any traction with the IRB behind closed doors so now he's going public.
Old 9th October 2011, 13:56     #10
Lightspeed

So what media coverage has there been? Is it all in sports magazines and talk back shows or something? Cause except for the two main stories (the announcement and the response to the announcement which I linked), I haven't anything else at all.
Old 9th October 2011, 19:49     #11
CCS
Stunt Pants

Do I need to operate google for you or something?
Old 9th October 2011, 19:57     #12
Lightspeed

Well that search demonstrates that his announcement was a big deal, given at least the first five pages of results were about that story. But it doesn't really make it clear where this was raised in the media previously.

Can you do a search with one of those articles as the result? Or just tell me where you saw this in the media previously?
Old 9th October 2011, 19:59     #13
wazza
*flex*

I thought you two were mates!
Old 9th October 2011, 20:09     #14
CCS
Stunt Pants

Yeah totally.

I thought lolspeed was demonstrating that he could actually have an adult conversation and I was happy to reciprocate. Turns out he's actually still a dick and expects me to disprove his preconceived notions. Back to ignore list.
Old 9th October 2011, 20:17     #15
wazza
*flex*

hahaha
Old 12th October 2011, 11:10     #16
Savage

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/un...011-1ljal.html

IRB backs down
Old 13th October 2011, 11:53     #17
Lightspeed

Yeah, seems like some good news. Still not sure the NZRU needed to get all whiny in the media during the RWC to get this result though.
Old 14th October 2011, 19:11     #18
Lightspeed

Last edited by Lightspeed : 14th October 2011 at 19:15.
Old 14th October 2011, 19:52     #19
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Yeah, seems like some good news. Still not sure the NZRU needed to get all whiny in the media during the RWC to get this result though.
Gee, don't you think that the NZRU would've discussed all of this behind closed doors first? Don't you think going public was what they had to resort to after not being able to get any traction privately with the IRB?

Holy shit you're a dumb cunt sometimes.
Old 14th October 2011, 20:11     #20
Lightspeed

Well I don't know that do I, which is what I am trying to ascertain. Did the NZRU exhaust all other options before going to the media? Is during the RWC the best/only time they could have gone to the media? Does the NZRU know what they are doing or are they a bunch of muppets? All reasonable questions I think.

Are you the kind of person who assumes all professional bodies know what they are doing even when you think they're being idiots? You don't strike me as that kind of person.

Is this what you call an adult conversation? What happened to that ignore list?
Old 14th October 2011, 20:22     #21
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Well I don't know that do I, which is what I am trying to ascertain. Did the NZRU exhaust all other options before going to the media? Is during the RWC the best/only time they could have gone to the media? Does the NZRU know what they are doing or are they a bunch of muppets? All reasonable questions I think.
If you had an ounce of common sense you would be able to figure out the answers.
Old 14th October 2011, 20:28     #22
Lightspeed

o_O

So why the fuck are you trying to engage in a conversation with someone who you think lacks an ounce of common sense?

P.S. Cop out.

Last edited by Lightspeed : 14th October 2011 at 20:29.
Old 14th October 2011, 20:54     #23
CCS
Stunt Pants

This isn't engaging in an argument, this is me calling you a stupid fucking cunt. Pretty one-sided really.
Old 14th October 2011, 21:11     #24
Macca@Work

I don't understand why the IRB is still located in England with the balance of power and influence seated there.Isn't it time those crusty old farts actually
brought themselves into the 21st century and let a/the southern hemisphere country/ies rugby board/s have a go?
Old 14th October 2011, 22:35     #25
Lightspeed

Don't ask CCS. He kinda gets his knickers in a twist when people don't have knowledge that is obvious to him.