NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > The year of rugby
User Name
Password

Old 1st October 2011, 19:44     #1
_Incubus_

OMFG NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 1st October 2011, 22:24     #2
Heresy
yawn.

Please be okay, Carter.
Old 2nd October 2011, 04:08     #3
DeskJet

hmm so before the two easiest Pool matches McCaw and Carter both have convenient injuries.
Old 2nd October 2011, 11:22     #4
_Incubus_

OH FUCK....CARTER out for the remainder of the RWC.
Old 2nd October 2011, 11:24     #5
pig

Fuck me how does that happen, Cruden into the squad apparently.
Old 2nd October 2011, 11:37     #6
a-tech

Old 2nd October 2011, 12:35     #7
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Incubus_
OH FUCK....CARTER out for the remainder of the RWC.
Fuuuuuuuuuuuck. Oh sweet fucking fuck.
Old 2nd October 2011, 12:35     #8
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeskJet
hmm so before the two easiest Pool matches McCaw and Carter both have convenient injuries.
Very convenient injuries.

Man, I wonder how much the odds will change for NZ to win it.
For the love of god, put Weepu as 1st five.

Last edited by blynk : 2nd October 2011 at 12:37.
Old 2nd October 2011, 15:43     #9
fixed_truth

How the fuck are we going to win without Carter???
Old 2nd October 2011, 18:29     #10
Genesis

I have my faith in Weepu. IMO the guy is all class and a pure play maker. Much better selection over Slade.
Old 2nd October 2011, 18:32     #11
orpheus
Jedi Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
For the love of god, put Weepu as 1st five.
Old 2nd October 2011, 19:36     #12
JERI

Oh fuck that's bad, he must be devastated. For two World Cups in a row he has to watch from the sidelines during the crucial matches.

All I can say is sorry Carter, rest and get well.
Old 2nd October 2011, 19:39     #13
BoyWonder

Weepu also doesn't ever seem to be rattled. I'd trust him out of position in a big match way more than either Slade or Cruden.
Old 3rd October 2011, 09:56     #14
PhX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyWonder
I'd trust him out of position in a big match way more than either Slade or Cruden.
That!
Old 3rd October 2011, 16:12     #15
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

When your first choice for first-five in the knockout stage of the World Cup is a guy who couldn't be guaranteed selection at halfback in the Super 15, you have a problem.

This is a problem that we all knew about and have tried not to think about, praying that this wouldn't happen. Dan Carter has not been best New Zealand first-five for quite a while - five years, maybe. But Henry and co and the NZRU have had a hardon for Carter--marketing reasons maybe? DC looks good on a billboard.

Don't get me wrong, *I* have a hardon for DC. In his prime the guy could lay claim to being the best all-round first-five that NZ had produced. Runs better than Brown, defends better than Mehrtens, kicks better than Spencer, and he's stronger and tougher than any back from the amateur era. But he hasn't been that guy since 2005. The last time we saw a consistently amazing performance from DC was the Lions tour of NZ. Since then his performances have cooled and his injury rate has climbed.

And Henry and co have fucked up by simultaneously

- allowing DC to do whatever he wants, like this "sabbatical" bulshit in France where--surprise!--he got injured, and

- not preparing a replacement. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Nick Evans is the best New Zealand first-five of the years since the last World Cup and he's been totally ignored by the NZRU for one reason: he's not Dan Carter. Evans saw the writing on the wall and headed north for the big money and who can blame him?

Who else is there? Are there any hotshot young first-fives being groomed for a black jersey? I can't see anyone being talked about as the next Dan Carter, all I've seen is a number of young guys that might let us make do until Dan Carter is fit again. That ain't no fucking succession plan I ever heard of.

So now DC is injured and we're going to have to make do with some bullshit solution like playing Piri Weepu at 10 or throwing this poor bastard Slade in the deep end--and I feel nothing but sympathy for Slade because if he's good enough for a black jersey he should have been getting regular game time to prepare him for this--and be honest we all knew this was going to happen sooner or later.
Old 3rd October 2011, 16:44     #16
Griven

We cant run Weepu at 10 simply because on current form he's our first pick for 9. Cowan has played like crap all cup and Ellis doesnt cut it.
Old 3rd October 2011, 17:34     #17
xor

Yup, feel sorry for Slade. I thought that guy should have started in all the tri nations games tbh.

P diddy and his saffa mates are going to lol all the way home with the rwc, AGAIN.
Old 3rd October 2011, 19:28     #18
Deadmeat

Cruden to play reserve against Argentina? I'd definitely like to see him get a run. Slade will start obv, hope he brought a snorkel.
Old 3rd October 2011, 23:38     #19
Heyzoos
Robosexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
he hasn't been that guy since 2005
Dan Carter 2005 is impossible. Even for Dan Carter. The dude was on some special alien brew steroid concoction that year.

DC since then has been prone to injuries, but still brilliant, and I'm not convinced that anyone else has really come close to his combination of physical ability, skill and game management..... except Nick Evans..... fuck.

Too late for a callup?
Old 3rd October 2011, 23:53     #20
ZoSo

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugb...ns/9600798.stm

Quote:
Nick Evans (with ball) left the field to a standing ovation after another magnificent display at fly-half
Doh.
Old 4th October 2011, 00:43     #21
Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoSo
Ha, read that and thought 'fuck, WHYYYY'.
Old 4th October 2011, 01:24     #22
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

There's a part of me that still thinks of Carter as "the new kid". This hotshot 21-year old occasionally subbing on for Mehrts and just carving it up, photogenic, has his head screwed on, he's the boy that every Kiwi mum wants her daughter to bring home to meet the parents. No drunken embarrassments, no foul play, just stuff like this and this and this and this and oh fuckit just watch that whole game.

I'll be fucking gutted if we've seen the last of him at a World Cup. Because that means he's now entering the twilight of his career. And I will be sad.
Old 4th October 2011, 02:35     #23
CCS
Stunt Pants

It was my assumption that after this World Cup he would take off overseas and earn big for the next 5 years and retire. He's 29 now, he could probably last until the next world cup but I would like to think that by that time, he won't be the number 1 choice for the number 10 jersey. Hey, he might stick around for the next 2 or so years, but I just don't see him at the next World Cup.

And yeah, that is sad
Old 4th October 2011, 23:25     #24
_Incubus_

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
It was my assumption that after this World Cup he would take off overseas and earn big for the next 5 years and retire. He's 29 now, he could probably last until the next world cup but I would like to think that by that time, he won't be the number 1 choice for the number 10 jersey. Hey, he might stick around for the next 2 or so years, but I just don't see him at the next World Cup.

And yeah, that is sad
If Slade or Wepu win the RWC at 10 would there be a place for DC back in the starting line up? Could you drop a #10 that wins a world cup in his prime for DC who like you said might leave midway through his next 3 year stint for another OE?

That would be a sad end for an amazing player and great servant to NZ rugby!
Old 5th October 2011, 00:08     #25
herp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
In May he signed to the NZRFU until 2015 with the option of playing one season at a french club so he will be around whether he is in the team or not.

And thank fuck it's Colin Slade and not Stephen Donald.
Old 5th October 2011, 00:46     #26
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by herp
In May he signed to the NZRFU until 2015 with the option of playing one season at a french club so he will be around whether he is in the team or not.
Iiiiiiinteresting. That I did not know. They obviously have a lot of faith in him.

Which leads to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Incubus_
If Slade or Wepu win the RWC at 10 would there be a place for DC back in the starting line up? Could you drop a #10 that wins a world cup in his prime for DC who like you said might leave midway through his next 3 year stint for another OE?

That would be a sad end for an amazing player and great servant to NZ rugby!
Hot question. Given what Herp just pointed out, I reckon they would still keep Carter in the starting lineup next season, even if Slade is in the winning lineup. That's just my gut feeling. Slade obviously needs more game time and I guess he'll get subbed on for Carter more often. He'll have gained a lot of confidence if he holds aloft the mighty Webb-Ellis trophy and I expect the ABs will finally be putting more effort into having Carter take the boy under his wing and grooming him as replacement. Or I could be completely surprised and Cruden plays his nut off and ends up in the starting lineup for the final. In which case, he is the new golden-boy-in-training.

I don't see Weepu starting at 10. I agree with Griven that Weepu should be our top pick for #9 as Cowan is not at his best at the moment. However, the ABs are talking up Slade as top pick for 10 and Weepu, having started in only 1 of the 4 matches so far, seems to be the impact player to be brought on part way through second half (which raises another question: starting 9, Cowan or Ellis?). Weepu is 28 and so he has a good few years of rugby left in him, but only as long as he stays hungry for it. He is accepting of his job as impact player at the moment, but after the RWC? Dunno. I wouldn't be surprised if he rounds out his career playing league in England after a few more years with the ABs (just a thought).

Anyway, that's more armchair coach's guess. Thank fuck it's not Stephen Donald

So... how long did McCaw sign up for?
Old 5th October 2011, 01:23     #27
JERI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab+CCS
Sad inducing posts
Fuck you two, I'm trying not to think about it
Old 5th October 2011, 01:41     #28
Phrack

just read this on Stuff..

Quote:
Because of arcane IRB rules, now that Carter's been replaced (by Manawatu's Aaron Cruden) his accreditation to the tournament has been revoked
So if NZ wins, Carter does not get a World Cup victory to his career.
Old 5th October 2011, 01:41     #29
Heresy
yawn.

McCaw is in till 2015, also.
Old 5th October 2011, 01:53     #30
Heresy
yawn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrack

He could theoretically still be around in 2015, and he's shown his intentions by signing up with the NZRU (sabbatical permitting) till then. Brad Thorn is 36 now, Carter will be 33 by the time the RWC comes around again in 2015.
Old 5th October 2011, 13:15     #31
PhX

Quote:

That seems a bit shit since he was part of the team? hes scored some points in the tourney. These dudes are pretty wank wank all round really.
Old 5th October 2011, 13:20     #32
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:

I was thinking about that the other day, when DC made his first appearance on crutches with the team. One of the first things that came to mind is that the moment Cruden gets called up, that means Carter is officially off the squad, which means he's officially an "outsider" for the World Cup. No security clearance, no entry to venues, he's just former All Black Daniel Carter of Canterbury with no more privileges than any other former All Black.

Suck.
Old 6th October 2011, 08:17     #33
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

Quote:

Not that it is authoritative, but they said on the radio this morning he'll still get a medal.... I'm trying to find a definitive answer, but without success.....
Old 6th October 2011, 08:35     #34
A Corpse
talkative lurker

A $2 shop plastic "participation" medal?
Old 6th October 2011, 09:13     #35
PhX

Heard the same thing, sounds like under medical clearance you are still part of the team, just not playing.
Old 6th October 2011, 10:14     #36
fixed_truth

PC gone mad so DC not sad.
Old 6th October 2011, 10:16     #37
a-tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I was thinking about that the other day, when DC made his first appearance on crutches with the team. One of the first things that came to mind is that the moment Cruden gets called up, that means Carter is officially off the squad, which means he's officially an "outsider" for the World Cup. No security clearance, no entry to venues, he's just former All Black Daniel Carter of Canterbury with no more privileges than any other former All Black.

Suck.
Apparently he's staying with the team, not part of the playing squad - an advisory role.