Old 11th February 2019, 14:41     #1
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Sustainable NZ Party

Someone's setting up a competitor to the Greens but without the nuttiness:

https://mailchi.mp/0315a3855897/sust...ewzealandparty

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/polit...a-website.html

Quote:
Vernon Tava has officially announced his new centrist environmentally focussed party, Sustainable New Zealand.

The party promises to work with both National and Labour, unlike the Green Party, which has said any deal with the National Party is unlikely.

Waterways might not need tougher pollution rules - potential 'blue-green' party leader Vernon Tava

"Instead of negotiating with both major parties, they have made a decision to always support the formation of a Labour Government meaning that Labour can take them for granted," the Sustainable NZ Party website says.

"This is no way to get the best deal for the environment."

Mr Tava is a former MP and leadership candidate for the Green Party and lost to current co-leader James Shaw.

He eventually left the party and joined National, but failed to win a battle to become a candidate for the party. He first suggested the idea of a "blue-green" business friendly, environmentally focussed party in January.
Old 11th February 2019, 16:13     #2
pxpx

Heard him on the radio this morning. He's all about sustainability; and that doesn't cover just environmental sustainability, but also social and economic.

He was quite clear that he's not wanting to be seen as blue-green either (and not red-green), but green-green. If that makes sense.

Anyway its interesting. My guess is if he's successful at all he'll erode enough support from greens to make them more irrelevant than they already are in the current govt.
Old 11th February 2019, 17:20     #3
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
Anyway its interesting. My guess is if he's successful at all he'll erode enough support from greens to make them more irrelevant than they already are in the current govt.
Even if the Greens sit on historically low 6% wouldn't a new party need at least 17% of the Greens voters to get them down to 5%?

Also surely there can't be that many confused Green voting National supporters. If you care enough about environmental issues to vote Greens then it would be strange to switch to supporting a Govt. that has a terrible track record in that area.
Old 11th February 2019, 17:51     #4
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

You mean supporting the party that legislated the Kermadec Marine Sanctuary before the current government, featuring the Green party, cancelled it?
Old 11th February 2019, 18:41     #5
Lightspeed

I'm sure we can find wins for National on mental health, and flubs by the government for the same. I still don't think there are many for whom social policy is important that would place a vote for a party that might put National in power.

But maybe in ~8 years time I suppose.
Old 11th February 2019, 19:08     #6
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

At a guess I'd say that this party's reason for existence is attracting not voters who want National in power, but rather those who want Winston out of it.
Old 11th February 2019, 19:49     #7
Deadmeat

Quote:
That focus would extend to not bothering with policies on other topics, instead approaching each vote on a case-by-case basis.
Ab, wouldn't you normally mock the shit out of a party like this?

Quote:
National Party leader Simon Bridges is open to gifting a seat to Mr Tava's new party, should it look likely to fall short of the threshold.
Mr Tava has also previously unsuccessfully run for Parliament as a Green candidate, and contested the National nomination for Northcote following Jonathan Coleman's retirement, but failed to make the party's shortlist.
So a (not) blue-green environmental party run by a multi-try failure with no policies besides 'we should stick with the status quo but hire some more people'. Sounds like a vote getter
Old 11th February 2019, 21:05     #8
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmeat
Ab, wouldn't you normally mock the shit out of a party like this?
I’m torn. As a Green voter I want there to be a viable alternative, either to pitch for my vote or to motivate the Greens to sort their nutty shit out.
Old 12th February 2019, 09:45     #9
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I’m torn. As a Green voter I want there to be a viable alternative, either to pitch for my vote or to motivate the Greens to sort their nutty shit out.
The TOP party sounded like a viable alternative, but again, half of it without the nuttiness.
Old 12th February 2019, 14:22     #10
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
At a guess I'd say that this party's reason for existence is attracting not voters who want National in power, but rather those who want Winston out of it.
Then we need a blue-black party, not blue-green. It's the right that needs splitting up, not the left.
Old 12th February 2019, 14:23     #11
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
The TOP party sounded like a viable alternative, but again, half of it without the nuttiness.
You mean "I smelt weed, now I feel sleepy" kind of nuttiness?
Old 12th February 2019, 15:01     #12
StN
I have detailed files

We need Cookie back with her cousin to start a Rainbow party...