Old 18th January 2016, 15:40     #2
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
What's there to "wut" about?
Old 18th January 2016, 15:52     #3
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Banning people from entering the country because you don't like the things they think and say does not sit well with me.
Old 18th January 2016, 16:07     #4
[Malks] Pixie

Yeah fair enough, though when those individuals are promoting actions that are likely to prompt harm to others I find it gets a bit messy. I have no problem with Women's Refuge calling for the ban, it's pretty much their job to try and de-normalise the types of behaviours that he promotes (and we've spent plenty of tax payer money on it).

Pixie
Old 18th January 2016, 17:08     #5
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Banning people from entering the country because you don't like the things they think and say does not sit well with me.
How do you feel about NZ denying entry to that holocaust denier that wished to do a series of talks?

I mean, I feel similar sentiment to you, but at the same time.... do we really need that in NZ?
Old 18th January 2016, 17:12     #6
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

NZ and Australia both denied entry to Odd Future/Tyler, The Creator on similar grounds.

It's already happening.
Old 18th January 2016, 19:10     #7
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
How do you feel about NZ denying entry to that holocaust denier that wished to do a series of talks?

I mean, I feel similar sentiment to you, but at the same time.... do we really need that in NZ?
Bring 'em on, I say. If you don't say dumb shit I can't make fun of you for saying dumb shit.
Old 19th January 2016, 09:02     #8
blynk

I have no issue banning people if you are in an occupation that "speaks" to the public. Why do we need them to come to the country.

If people are that desperate to see them, they can fly to another country to watch them
Old 29th January 2016, 10:28     #9
leadinjector

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
I have no issue banning people if you are in an occupation that "speaks" to the public. Why do we need them to come to the country.

If people are that desperate to see them, they can fly to another country to watch them
so who gets to decide what we are and arent allowed to listen to? i dont like it. the only reason they should be barring people from entry should be because of their criminal past. who gives a fuck if they are doing a seminar on how the sky is actually purple not blue.
Old 29th January 2016, 11:23     #10
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadinjector
so who gets to decide what we are and arent allowed to listen to?
No one is deciding that for us. We can listen to who we like, more or less (we can't pretend there isn't censorship legislation in NZ.) Rather, what is being decided is who doesn't get to speak to us directly.

If you want to find out who decides this, you can. And you can find out who appointed them to the role and via what process. If you take issue with the decisions or the deciders you are free to speak up. NZ's democracy hasn't been completely undermined yet.

We can't pretend that someone coming into the country to spread an ideology would have no impact.
Old 29th January 2016, 12:07     #11
xor

Looks like y'all been reading some Hitchens