NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 27th April 2021, 23:32     #1321
Lightspeed

The problem with these large populations of infected people is it gives the opportunity for more variants to emerge, potentially one which vaccines will be ineffective against.
Old 28th April 2021, 06:40     #1322
StN
I have detailed files

You know India has it bad when Perogi can't get a scambait call to connect.
Old 28th April 2021, 13:56     #1323
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
You know India has it bad when Perogi can't get a scambait call to connect.
Lol'd
Old 24th May 2021, 13:38     #1324
Nich

So is it acceptable yet to talk about how this virus is a lab experiment gone wrong? or is that still considered racist or some shit?
Old 24th May 2021, 14:00     #1325
Lightspeed

The conversation I'd want to have is how do you know what you know? Fundamentally how do you retrieve and assess information to form some kind of knowledge base and decision making process.

Cause what you just said exists well outside of what I know, and I put some effort into both knowing what I know and not knowing what I don't.

Within my current frame of knowledge I wouldn't assess your statement as racist, but rather stupid. Of course, I'm well aware I'm the one who has been stupid in many cases, hence why the conversation I'm interested in.
Old 24th May 2021, 14:01     #1326
Cyberbob

There's nothing wrong with truth seeking but if you talk like it's fact it'll sit you firmly with the QAnon, flat earthers and jet fuelers.

edit: and moon landing denialers.

Last edited by Cyberbob : 24th May 2021 at 14:02.
Old 24th May 2021, 15:27     #1327
Ajax
Architeuthis

I hold no opinions on COVID's origins and I suspect we'll never get any real answers, but this article raises some excellent points (long read):

https://thebulletin.org/2021/05/the-...-box-at-wuhan/
Old 24th May 2021, 16:29     #1328
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich
So is it acceptable yet to talk about how this virus is a lab experiment gone wrong? or is that still considered racist or some shit?
This probably sounds wrong, but does it even matter. The US probably have a lot of worse shit they are experimenting on.
Unless you mean the experiment was to release it under controlled conditions and shit went wrong. That would be a concern.
But the good old racism in people with pick up and call foul.

Even if it was lab based, it is probably a big wakeup call on shit that can happen to humans. Other things came and went and most people probably didnt give a shit - Ebola, bird flu, swine flu.
Maybe society as a whole could thank China for it. Maybe the human race will learn and become better because of it.
Old 24th May 2021, 16:39     #1329
Cyberbob

All the experts have been discussing for years about how it was inevitable & overdue for humanity to have a global outbreak, and how it would be devastating to our way of modern life.

Then it happens and so many people jump to "THIS COULDN'T POSSIBLY HAPPEN NATURALLY!!111"

Pandemic: How to Prevent an Outbreak
Old 24th May 2021, 17:28     #1330
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Experts: This is the mildest most innocuous most painless pandemic we could possibly have wished for, and we still fucked it up. Our systems just fell apart.
Old 24th May 2021, 19:45     #1331
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Have a look at this guy's videos on the subject from around a year ago
https://www.youtube.com/c/serpentza/videos

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/cov...6ZQG2WLHDDTNA/

It's been a while but IIRC, on internet archives there was a job listing for bat virus research. The staff page of the research center was then updated with a new person, who then vanished post covid.
Old 24th May 2021, 21:00     #1332
Lightspeed

When it comes to concluding one way or the other two things stand out: first the lack of certainty, so many factors, including my own biases cloud what I might know. Second, the lack of significance of knowing either way. I don't feel any conclusion leaves me more enlightened, or with useful course of action.

In all situations China fucked up, the world fucked up. Sanity exists in mere pockets, probably due to luck as much as anything else.
Old 25th May 2021, 06:16     #1333
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
Have a look at this guy's videos on the subject from around a year ago
https://www.youtube.com/c/serpentza/videos

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/cov...6ZQG2WLHDDTNA/

It's been a while but IIRC, on internet archives there was a job listing for bat virus research. The staff page of the research center was then updated with a new person, who then vanished post covid.
There was a Dr flogging his book on Rogan (Ok, red flag...) a couple of weeks back that supposedly did a good analytical breakdown of it.

Main two points he pushed were:

The US was doing Corona/bat virus research earlier, but I think Bush Jr ruled it out, so the work moved to China. The ban was redacted under Obama.

Statistically strange that the reported ground zero was at the wet market just down the road from the only lab doing the research.

I don't think he mentioned the job vacancy, but I remember news reports at the time (Jan/Feb/Mar 2020?) saying it was still visible. And the strong implication that China didn't release it, but that the CIA used the weak safety protocols from the inside. Now that bit requires a lot of tinfoil.
Old 29th May 2021, 14:10     #1334
Nich

Quote:
Maybe the next hotel quarantine will provide a different outcome.

Or just follow what works (i.e Darwin using cabins / motel, no connected air flow, open air).

It's a good thing the people in charge #followthescience
Ok ok, the NEXT hotel quarantine will be successful. promise!
Old 30th May 2021, 16:43     #1335
Lightspeed

I saw a US paper about measuring excess death years with a model used to demonstrate how the pandemic has resulted in more death than we'd otherwise see. By death years it means life expectancy vs actual age of death.

What it found was in the US using this method in 2017 the US saw a spike in death years, that exceeds the pandemic. This is explained by a large portion of deaths during the pandemic occurring at about life expectancy.

I came about it because someone was waving it about as proof there's no pandemic.

Rather than shit being bad in the US, killing people before their time.
Old 30th May 2021, 17:23     #1336
Lightspeed

Found it!

https://www.pnas.org/content/118/16/e2024850118
Old 2nd June 2021, 06:22     #1337
Nich

WA coronavirus transmission reported in hotel quarantine after man infected by guest in next door room
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-...tine/100180480

"we can't get our shit together, so neither can you."
Old 4th June 2021, 11:05     #1338
Nich

Was there a Wuhan lab leak? An inquiry won’t dig out the truth. It will deepen the deception
https://www.jonathan-cook.net/blog/2...-leak-inquiry/

Lies upon lies upon lies.
Old 4th June 2021, 11:27     #1339
Lightspeed

That article deepens your stupidity.

Right off the bat it's distorting the frame:

Quote:
was dismissed as a crackpot theory
It is absolutely true that there were those who dismissed the idea as crackpot.

This however is completely false:

Quote:
supported only by Donald Trump, QAnon and hawks on the right looking to escalate tensions dangerously with China
Just because reasonable, measured responses don't suit the narrative, it doesn't mean they don't exist.
Old 4th June 2021, 11:44     #1340
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

18 Feb 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Lol there wouldn’t happen to be an advanced virology lab with links to bioweapons research in Wuhan would there? I mean I hate internet gossip but that would be a helluva coincidence
Old 4th June 2021, 12:11     #1341
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Right off the bat ...
Lol, I see what you did there
Old 4th June 2021, 12:40     #1342
Lightspeed

Like most things, we didn't know about it because why would we? That doesn't make the information secret or hidden away. People in positions of responsibility, whose work is available for scrutiny, understood and knew there are these kinds of facilities (the line between healthcare/weapons research is somewhat blurry) and it was understood the protections were inadequate and ill advised.

The thing is there is a huge amount of nested politics going on, which has the consequences of unduly influencing decisions that should be made with discipline, and a high degree of opacity as information only arrives through multiple layers of bureaucracy.

Now I'm willing to believe that whole pandemic could be some Bond level shit at the highest/lowest levels. Or maybe this is a global inoculation plan to protect us from an incoming space virus that's being kept secret from the public. Maybe NZ is the only country on Earth, the rest of the planet is a projection kept in place by advanced aliens.

But I'm not going to trying and chase down any certainty about these things, nor be cued up for new information about them. If these things were true, my capacity to know would be outstripped. Paradigms would need to shift before I could begin to consider knowing something new.

When I think to myself what do I think likely happened, I admit I lean towards an escaped manufactured virus. But as I think that, a big red flag pops up labelled "Sinophobia". I come from a culture with a long history of treating Chinese as less than human. I try to account for this bias, but am I over correcting, not correcting enough? I can't tell.

Also, I consider there are people who would be very happy with me believing China is to blame, without concern for what actually happened. People in positions of influence, with the opportunity to set up bunk narratives.

So the truth is I don't know according to my personal theory of knowledge. And in any case, knowing doesn't leave me with a course of action, except that which I already know to be the case: support politicians who demonstrate a concern for justice.
Old 4th June 2021, 12:44     #1343
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
Lol, I see what you did there
Hahaha, oops.
Old 4th June 2021, 16:56     #1344
Know me.

Trump was the president of the united states, he wasn't a conspiracy blogger or youtube streamer. He had plenty of time and resources to produce evidence of a lab leak.
Old 4th June 2021, 17:23     #1345
crocos

Resources... really? Remember this is the Alternate Truth guy. For him it wouldn't have mattered what the truth of the source is, just what story he can spin that suits his agenda. Which is what he did.

Quote:
Maybe NZ is the only country on Earth, the rest of the planet is a projection kept in place by advanced aliens.
PFFT. I thought everyone knew nothing exists below the Bombay Hills.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية

Last edited by crocos : 4th June 2021 at 17:25.
Old 4th June 2021, 20:36     #1346
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

This was an abject failure by journalism as a whole, as Western reporters fell over themselves virtue-signaling to their tribes rather than, you know, reporting.

We no like orange man
Therefore what orange man say wrong
Orange man say virus from China
Therefore virus not from China
Person who say virus might be from China must like orange man
People who like orange man bad

Trump’s a narcissistic toddler, but that doesn’t make any given thing he says wrong. Wrongness makes a thing wrong, not the person saying it.
Old 5th June 2021, 02:06     #1347
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

I'll wait, you guys can catch up.
Old 5th June 2021, 03:01     #1348
Lightspeed

Yikes...
Old 5th June 2021, 08:00     #1349
Know me.

I can't remember if I have said this out loud in this thread but the only Covid19 conspiracy theory that makes sense to me is the elimination of paper cash so governments or higher ups can track every currency transaction electronically.
Old 5th June 2021, 08:10     #1350
StN
I have detailed files

Oh man, I was going to post a timely post about a country and an anniversary, and how information is hidden, but then I wondered how deep the tentacles of a certain currency named splinter group go...
Old 7th June 2021, 14:31     #1351
Lightspeed

From the way the vaccine roll out is going, I can see why there's a belief that covid19 is here to stay. Rich countries are going to enjoy a temporary reprieve, while the majority of the world population remains a Petri dish for the virus to evolve in.

Probably give it 50/50 whether or not I get the virus at this point.
Old 7th June 2021, 16:12     #1352
crocos

Quote:
Probably give it 50/50 whether or not I get the virus at this point.
I reckon 100% chance you'll get it, 50% chance that vaccines let you fight it off without significant symptoms.

Old 18th June 2021, 13:06     #1353
Nich

https://twitter.com/martybent/status...178524169?s=21

Historians will look back on this video as the spark that started a civil war in every nation.
Old 18th June 2021, 13:14     #1354
Lightspeed

If anyone was going to spark a global civil war, it would be James Corden.

That reminds me, Superintelligence is an alright movie. It's silly and irreverent, standard Melissa McCarthy fare. But about as sensible as any film about a transcendent intelligence could be.

James Corden is the AI in the movie, hence the tangent.
Old 18th June 2021, 13:45     #1355
Lightspeed

Helen Clark slams WHO for opposing China travel bans, jury out on lab leak

I certainly think that the WHO should have been free to recommend a travel ban.

But Helen reveals the Realpolitik:

Quote:
"All I’ll say is that the jury’s out. I don’t think that should be seen as any geopolitically motivated attack to say that the jury is out."
The WHO has to hold its own amongst all these powers that are jostling for position, like fucking crabs in a bucket.
Old 21st June 2021, 13:00     #1356
Lightspeed

Covid-19: Brazil hits 500,000 deaths amid 'critical' situation

Just a little flu.
Old 21st June 2021, 17:29     #1357
crocos

Bolsonaro (sp?) is a freaking worse lunatic than the Tangelo man.

Old 23rd June 2021, 17:59     #1358
crocos

So. Lockdown in Victoria - I was well away from areas of interest & kept generally isolated.

Escaped to Wellington. A fortnight after I arrive it's now Level 2 in Welly...

It's not me spreading it, I swear!

Old 23rd June 2021, 20:48     #1359
blynk

Its actually nice that I think this is the first time another area of the country is at a higher level than Auckland.
Old 24th June 2021, 06:09     #1360
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
Its actually nice that I think this is the first time another area of the country is at a higher level than Auckland.
Are you talking about Covid?