If you blow on my pie you won’t see me cry
Gotta whistle while you work it

Cannot be unheard.
Old 16th August 2018, 18:44     #41122
Pepsi
Konnichiwa, bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
Wish there was a website that charted sickness rates.

I’m hearing comments that attendance of many kids activities have had numbers down by as much as half with a workmate of my wife saying that half their kid’s class have been sick. All with the same symptoms.

Music school reporting the same. My workmates saying the same for their families.

Our sproglet is probably on his last day of leave tomorrow.

Started with feeling generally down, then three days of fever (39, 39.5, 39) with symptoms similar to slapped cheek then spewing up his meals and not able to keep much down other than toast.

Teachers strike timing is perfect.
Such a website would definitely be so useful! Even just being able to place a pin on a map to see where reported issues are clustered..

A guy at work has mentioned that his daughter has the same symptoms you mention, and had been told by a Doctor that it's slapped cheek but he's not convinced..
Old 16th August 2018, 18:53     #41123
Lightspeed

Unfortunately big data is about selling ads and swaying elections, not improving our lives.

Similarly, if we tracked symptoms of food poisoning and where people are eating, we could identify sources of food contamination.
Old 16th August 2018, 18:58     #41124
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I had a Diablo 2 dream last night, so fucking good
Diablo 3 is coming to Switch, should be good times.
Old 16th August 2018, 20:03     #41125
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Unfortunately big data is about selling ads and swaying elections, not improving our lives.

Similarly, if we tracked symptoms of food poisoning and where people are eating, we could identify sources of food contamination.
Careful, you're one slip on the slope away from comparing average IQ scores across different ethnic groups.

Quote:
Diablo 3 is coming to Switch, should be good times.
Nothing will ever be as good as D2 back in the day. Or even later, my most epic D2 runs were 2005-2006 I think.
Old 17th August 2018, 07:26     #41126
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Careful, you're one slip on the slope away from comparing average IQ scores across different ethnic groups.
Where did the whole IQ thing and ethnicity debate come from? I've been seeing little comments around various forums but not sure where it originated from???
Old 17th August 2018, 08:54     #41127
[Malks] Pixie

The general idea has been bouncing round for a very long time (like centuries) but recently it's been revived by aspects of the alt-right, in particular both of the Canadians who didn't speak here have repeatedly raised it in a non-critical fashion.

The (longish) wiki page on the history of the idea is a really interesting read if you've got a while.

Personally my biggest issue with it is that it's often deployed as an explanation for why particular ethnic groups haven't "done well" in societies without integrating the numerous other factors (both cultural and economic) which often have a bigger impact on "success" in diasporic communities (i.e. how "smart" an individual is may have an impact on their success but things like strong networks are just as, if not more, important).
Old 17th August 2018, 10:20     #41128
Lightspeed

I like the description of early US army psychologists doing IQ tests finding that the average American had below average intelligence.

I think it captures the nature of IQ testing nicely.
Old 17th August 2018, 11:34     #41129
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Malks] Pixie
(i.e. how "smart" an individual is may have an impact on their success but things like strong networks are just as, if not more, important).
There is a great episode of Exponential Wisdom that talks about this from a different angle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtSyjxjF7Lk

They talk about living in a world where we are all taught "How" to do things, and the limitations in this way of thinking as we are restricted by our natural talent, time, interest, etc. Another equally important skill is seeking out and collaborating with people with the skills to fulfill your ideas. The ability to delegate, and give over control.

Towards the end there's an anecdote about a commencement speech where A-students were asked to stand up. They were given a round of applause, The C-Students were asked to stand up, and then the A-students were told "Meet your future employers!"
Old 17th August 2018, 14:03     #41130
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
I like the description of early US army psychologists doing IQ tests finding that the average American had below average intelligence.

I think it captures the nature of IQ testing nicely.
Never heard that story before, link?

I saw a Jordan Peterson video in which he described how US army recruiters estimated 10% of recruits were below a threshold of useful intelligence. That is, that 10% were not intelligent enough to be trainable to do anything.
Old 17th August 2018, 14:26     #41131
[Malks] Pixie

Two pretty good articles surrounding the history, and current use of, IQ tests.

[Despite my quotes both articles do also highlight the potential good of IQ tests as well - I'm just bringing out some of the stuff relevant to the current "debate".]

The IQ test wars: why screening for intelligence is still so controversial

Quote:
But in their darkest moments, IQ tests became a powerful way to exclude and control marginalised communities using empirical and scientific language. Supporters of eugenic ideologies in the 1900s used IQ tests to identify “idiots”, “imbeciles”, and the “feebleminded”. These were people, eugenicists argued, who threatened to dilute the White Anglo-Saxon genetic stock of America.

As a result of such eugenic arguments, many American citizens were later sterilised. In 1927, an infamous ruling by the US Supreme Court legalised forced sterilisation of citizens with developmental disabilities and the “feebleminded,” who were frequently identified by their low IQ scores.

Those in the US who were forcibly sterilised in the aftermath of Buck v Bell were disproportionately poor or of colour.

Compulsory sterilisation in the US on the basis of IQ, criminality, or sexual deviance continued formally until the mid 1970s...
Intelligence: A History

Quote:
Sometimes, this sort of ranking is sensible: we want doctors, engineers and rulers who are not stupid. But it has a dark side. As well as determining what a person can do, their intelligence – or putative lack of it – has been used to decide what others can do to them. Throughout Western history, those deemed less intelligent have, as a consequence of that judgment, been colonised, enslaved, sterilised and murdered (and indeed eaten, if we include non-human animals in our reckoning).
Old 17th August 2018, 14:51     #41132
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
Where did the whole IQ thing and ethnicity debate come from? I've been seeing little comments around various forums but not sure where it originated from???
Disclaimer: am not a statistican or psychologist, but this is a subject of interest to me.

My understanding of the issue is: every aspect of human biology reflects the hundreds of thousands of years of natural selection we've experienced since homo sapiens became a distinct branch of the ape family tree. Different populations experienced different pressures in different places and the adaptations to those pressures are reflected in ethnic differences. For any given trait humans are very very similar and most of us are lumped together under or close to the peak of the bell curve. But those small differences between ethnic groups are significant out at the edges of the curve. For example: if you were to graph short-distance running speed most fit healthy humans would be statistically similar and thus the middle of the distribution would be a melting pot. But at the far right of the curve, the fastest of the fast, every person would be of West African descent. Pick a trait, any trait (height, speed, resistance to a given disease or parasite, ability to metabolise alcohol, ability to digest lactose, whatever) and there will be differences between human ethnic groups because our ancestors have passed through different evolutionary bottlenecks in the past quarter of a million years.

Kinda obvious really. To say that some ethnic groups can run faster than others is to state obvious common sense, bfd.

Intelligence is a trait. To say that some ethnic groups are more intelligent than others is to get fucking destroyed.

Unfortunately getting destroyed for saying it does not make it any less true, and it does appear that differences in intelligence between ethnic groups become evident, like running speed, out at the edges of the curve. For example people of Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry are on average more intelligent than just about everyone else. Take a look at a list of Nobel prizewinners in science and maths, like, duh. But the normal distribution has two edges, and it appears that people with distinctly sub-Saharan-African genes are overrepresented at the left side of the intelligence curve.

Admitting this is a politically suicidal move because inequality, because slavery, because colonialism, because humans are fucked.

Of course there are lots and lots of other factors that come in to play - nutrition, education, family environment, role models, pure luck, like I said I'm not a statistician and even I know there are bajillions of factors that have to be considered in a multivariate analysis. But ethnic variations in intelligence are A Thing, because intelligence is just another trait.

To bring this back to the post of Lightspeed's I was replying to, yes we are in the era of big data now, and we are collecting data on everything, and some of the things we're learning are, shall we say, politically inconvenient. But we're now living in a world where intelligence makes a big fucking difference.
Old 17th August 2018, 15:22     #41133
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Intelligence is a trait. To say that some ethnic groups are more intelligent than others is to get fucking destroyed.
Quote:
IQ tests today
Debate over what it means to be “intelligent” and whether or not the IQ test is a robust tool of measurement continues to elicit strong and often opposing reactions today. Some researchers say that intelligence is a concept specific to a particular culture. They maintain that it appears differently depending on the context – in the same way that many cultural behaviours would. For example, burping may be seen as an indicator of enjoyment of a meal or a sign of praise for the host in some cultures and impolite in others.

What may be considered intelligent in one environment, therefore, might not in others. For example, knowledge about medicinal herbs is seen as a form of intelligence in certain communities within Africa, but does not correlate with high performance on traditional Western academic intelligence tests.

According to some researchers, the “cultural specificity” of intelligence makes IQ tests biased towards the environments in which they were developed – namely white, Western society.
This makes them potentially problematic in culturally diverse settings. The application of the same test among different communities would fail to recognise the different cultural values that shape what each community values as intelligent behaviour.

Going even further, given the IQ test’s history of being used to further questionable and sometimes racially-motivated beliefs about what different groups of people are capable of, some researchers say such tests cannot objectively and equally measure an individual’s intelligence at all.
Old 17th August 2018, 16:20     #41134
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Yeah, "by what definition of intelligence?" is a sensible question. There are certain "intelligence tests" that chimpanzees outperform humans in.
Old 17th August 2018, 16:26     #41135
Nich

On the other end of the spectrum, Harvard has changed it's admissions policies based on the exceptional performance of Asian Americans. The non-whites are statistically out-performing the westerners at their own game.

But perhaps they needed to slow it down as Asian Americans are the largest demographic group among students.
https://college.harvard.edu/admissio...ons-statistics

There is a lawsuit saying their policies are discriminatory, but their defense is that Asians lack people skills.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/15/u...pplicants.html

So perhaps they don't want a school full of over-achieving assholes. Nothing wrong with trying to strike a balance there. Or perhaps a handicap is placed on people based on their race, while others (African American, Latino) get a boost.

It's a dangerous razor's edge they straddle trying to do the right thing. Which race's do we choose to handicap, and which do we boost, and for which environment? Harvard obviously have their long history of students and admissions to make a judgement based on their own demographic statistics.

It may have originated as a White / Western measure of intelligence that ensured exclusivity, but today the top performers in that model happen to be Chinese, Korean, Indian, et al.
Old 17th August 2018, 17:08     #41136
fixed_truth

Soooo we're not sure if ethnicity can be scientifically defined, or if IQ tests are accurate in measuring intelligence, and how much IQ differences between ethnicities are even due to ethnicity
Old 17th August 2018, 18:06     #41137
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I believe the correct form begins "So what you're saying is..."
Old 17th August 2018, 19:34     #41138
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Never heard that story before, link?

I saw a Jordan Peterson video in which he described how US army recruiters estimated 10% of recruits were below a threshold of useful intelligence. That is, that 10% were not intelligent enough to be trainable to do anything.
Leahey, T. (2000) A History of Psychology. NJ: Prentice Hall.

The issue with these early tests by the army was their baseline was a small sample from a specific region of the US, compared with the large sample of diverse army recruits. And that they were testing to suit the purposes of the army. So if the army wanted to train the top 5% of recruits as officers and drop the bottom 10% completely, then the tests would be designed as such.
Old 17th August 2018, 21:15     #41139
StN
I have detailed files

I have little to add, except a wee anecdote from the boy - he was sitting an exam, and I asked how it went:

"Pretty good, but the eugenics question was a bit retarded"

I cracked up - such humour from one so young. Turns out it was just a dumb question.
Old 18th August 2018, 11:39     #41140
CCS
Stunt Pants

Great news for StN:

Teledildonics Startups Are Pumped This Cockblocking Patent Is Dead
Old 20th August 2018, 19:05     #41141
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

#youhadonejob

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/106...ould-never-say
Old 21st August 2018, 15:23     #41142
Nich

Spend Bill Gates' Money
https://neal.fun/spend/
Old 22nd August 2018, 14:14     #41143
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
That is hilarious! Not quite as hilarious as Asia Argento though but it's right up there
Old 22nd August 2018, 14:48     #41144
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich
Spend Bill Gates' Money
https://neal.fun/spend/
What, no small European islands? Literally unplayable.
Old 22nd August 2018, 15:09     #41145
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
That is hilarious! Not quite as hilarious as Asia Argento though but it's right up there
ASIA ARGENTO IS A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THING AND SHE IS A VICTIM AND IT'S DIFFERENT
Old 23rd August 2018, 11:19     #41146
Lightspeed

Had a bunch of homeless people casually talking about taking my rain jacket as I walked past them in city today. Reminds me of being back in Whangarei.

Really loving the roving bands of homeless people we've got in Auckland these days. I'm sure they're thrilled about it too.
Old 23rd August 2018, 12:57     #41147
Cyberbob

I'm amazed that all of NZ's media have avoided using the "S" word when discussing Greg Boyed's "death after battling depression".

Is there a new taboo that i'm unaware of?
Old 23rd August 2018, 13:08     #41148
blynk

There has always been a taboo on it.
I think there was always a unwritten rule to not talk about suicide.

At least now they print all the lifeline numbers/help at the bottom.
Old 23rd August 2018, 13:51     #41149
pxpx

Reporting Suicide: A resource for the media
https://www.health.govt.nz/publicati...resource-media
Old 23rd August 2018, 16:45     #41150
CCS
Stunt Pants

Baseball: Meet the 12-year-old, 1.85m, 112kg baseball pitcher

Dafuuuuq? I don't believe it. Someone's having us on. That kid is maybe 17 or something. Ain't no damn 12 year old! Stop pulling me leg!
Old 27th August 2018, 19:03     #41151
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12114466

Auckland University of Technology... is the latest to express concern about declining interest in studying arts and humanities in New Zealand, which has led to a large budget shortfall at the faculty.
a. if I want to study arts and humanities, a technology institution probably ain't my first choice.

b. declining interest in studying arts and humanities? or realisation that arts and humanities faculties are an intellectual dead end in this the year of our lord 2018?
Old 27th August 2018, 20:14     #41152
Lightspeed

Dead? More like murdered. There's no place for "useless" education any more. You gotta be making hard cash, or GTFO.
Old 27th August 2018, 21:41     #41153
Nich

Little do they know that Arts and Humanities jobs may be the last to be automated. Live it up, knowledge workers! You better upskill in marketable empathy while you can or the best job you'll get in 5 years will be helping old people cross the road and then listening for 2 hours to what kind of cuisine their cat enjoys the most.
Old 5th September 2018, 20:44     #41154
Cyberbob

Re-watching Dodgeball tonight. Man, the Lance Armstrong scene hasn't aged well.
Old 7th September 2018, 08:26     #41155
Cyberbob

RIP Burt Reynolds
Old 7th September 2018, 08:52     #41156
pxpx

My moustache grew an extra 0.3mm as Burts essence was released into the aether.
Old 7th September 2018, 11:30     #41157
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
Re-watching Dodgeball tonight. Man, the Lance Armstrong scene hasn't aged well.
Everyone turn in your yachts!
https://youtu.be/O9YL04v-J5U
Old 7th September 2018, 15:24     #41158
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

hashtaglatestagecapitalism

https://www.smh.com.au/business/work...07-p502ao.html
Old 7th September 2018, 16:58     #41159
ZoSo

Rogan must have hit Musk with some Joey Diaz shit.
Old 7th September 2018, 21:40     #41160
Nich

Rogan was either too nervous, too high... hard to tell.

There were great moments, but Rogan was the king of tautologies while trying to get his questions out.