Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 2nd July 2021, 00:21     #42641
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Today's greatest line of the day:

I was offering feedback on a client-site theme concept that, in my opinion, was way too visually eyecatching, to a level that would be distracting to the user. I wanted the user to do the thing being described by the words, not look at the pretty pictures.

With my best deadpan nzgames voice, I opined "look I have a dream... of pages that will be judged not by the colour of their skin but by the character of their content" AND THE FUCKERS DIDN'T LAUGH
Haahahah, oof.
Old 2nd July 2021, 00:29     #42642
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Weird, I'm tuning the work database/queries, I have Xeons, AMD EPYCs, an i5-3470 and a Ryzen 2600 all taking roughly the same time to run the "slow" query (3.something seconds). Yet my Ryzen 3100 does it in half the time (1.4 seconds).

Can't remember if I added an index somewhere along the way, or if it's just that fast.

Hrmmmm.
Old 3rd July 2021, 20:47     #42643
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Otago gonna otago

https://flip.it/.RcDav
Old 3rd July 2021, 22:02     #42644
madmaxii

Yup, moving there.
Old 4th July 2021, 07:53     #42645
fixed_truth

Also Otago

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/former...QMJCMZXDC5TDE/
Old 4th July 2021, 12:34     #42646
Lightspeed

Wink

Did madmaxii stutter?!
Old 4th July 2021, 18:12     #42647
Lightspeed

Anyone ever have some passage or idea from some forgotten sci-fi novel pop into your head while doing one thing or another with technology, especially cyber tech?

Like something in a story that wasn't quite clear to me suddenly making sense, because technology has caught up with fiction.

Odd feeling, like living in the stories I read as a kid.
Old 6th July 2021, 01:06     #42648
MadMax
Stuff

When you ‘imprint’ on a pet or even someone else I believe there’s an equal or greater imprint back to yourself. When you finally train your dog that new trick I’m sure the reward is more yours than the animal’s

On a computer you can set a wall paper and other customisations. You can slowly add in a few new dictionary words and Maori place names but that’s about it. Voice dictation which learns your speech is either crap or amazing depending on who you talk to but the imprinting isn’t personified into the device rather is cloud based making the physical device a throw away item.

How long before technology is made to be more receptive to human imprinting and mutually so? I think you’ll start to see more and more of this as a way to get people further hooked into it.
Old 6th July 2021, 17:15     #42649
Cyberbob

This is my smartphone. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My smartphone is my best friend. It is my life.

Also: Get your kids to mime being on the phone. I always did the 'hang ten' hand to the side of my face. Both mine put their palm to their head.

Last edited by Cyberbob : 6th July 2021 at 17:17.
Old 6th July 2021, 17:56     #42650
Lightspeed

If you can, collect any biometric data you can on yourself and your family. Save it up for when you get your personal medical AI. The more data you can feed it, the more effectively it can attune to your biorhythms.

Medicine is going to transform from finding what works at least 51% of the time in a population, to how we use AI to best understand the individual biology.

That's what I figure anyhow.
Old 6th July 2021, 19:59     #42651
Nich

Someone's been reading Peter Diamandis
Old 6th July 2021, 20:02     #42652
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Biology schmiology, emotional states are where the money will be.
Old 6th July 2021, 20:25     #42653
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
Also: Get your kids to mime being on the phone. I always did the 'hang ten' hand to the side of my face. Both mine put their palm to their head.
OMG Dad, no one actually talks on the phone! That's what <insert IM client> is for

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 6th July 2021, 23:44     #42654
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Biology schmiology, emotional states are where the money will be.
All marketing is now this to the extreme. Those stupid Cadbury and power+internet adverts are classic examples.
Old 7th July 2021, 09:56     #42655
xor

I guess khaki pants are out this season
Old 7th July 2021, 10:28     #42656
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
All marketing is now this to the extreme. Those stupid Cadbury and power+internet adverts are classic examples.
Nah I’m talking about a world in which the AI knows how you feel, in general or specifically, better than any human including you yourself.
Old 8th July 2021, 00:23     #42657
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
Bernays changing perceptions on women smoking is the original example. Got some ideas from his uncle. Set the model for taking the ideas of mental health practice and applying them to money making schemes.
Old 8th July 2021, 20:43     #42658
MadMax
Stuff

Through “left overs” of the covid vaccine most of us at work are now vaccinated despite most certainly not being of retirement age. How they’re not able to arrange for those that are eligible to get it instead of us is beyond me.

Apparently the angry and suspicious stares in the waiting area are quite the joke. So of course everyone played it up. One of the group was older than everyone so it was an ongoing joke in the waiting area that everyone there was her assistant therefore needing the jab.

I’m looking forward to getting mine. Not sure what excuse I’m going to come up with if asked how I’m able to get in. Maybe something like, ‘oh I’ve got a serious haemorrhoid problem that sees me in hospital so often they said I’m high risk so therefore eligible’.
Old 8th July 2021, 21:07     #42659
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I’ve been trying to get shots for weeks. Only just managed to get a booking for AstraZeneca 1 next wed.
Old 9th July 2021, 07:13     #42660
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I’ve been trying to get shots for weeks. Only just managed to get a booking for AstraZeneca 1 next wed.
I got the Wave3 txt last week. I felt special, because Wave3 was flagged as being done in July. Then they changed it to being advised by the end of July when they may be done possibly before September.

Stopped feeling special when it was mentioned that half the country are in Wave3.

Should have popped around to the hospital a few months back when they were giving out unclaimed jabs to anyone off the street.
Old 9th July 2021, 09:39     #42661
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Had AZ shot#2 this Monday.

Shot #1 was rough for a day and a bit with whole body pain, slight temp, inability to concentrate, and a few other things after which it was back to normal (symptoms vary, but localised ache at injection site is almost universal), but shot 2? Nothing, just easy-as. From what I'm hearing that's pretty typical.

Old 9th July 2021, 11:03     #42662
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
I got the Wave3 txt last week.
Oh yeah, that's right. I should follow up on that.
Old 9th July 2021, 17:33     #42663
kRAdENkO

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
Had AZ shot#2 this Monday.

Shot #1 was rough for a day and a bit with whole body pain, slight temp, inability to concentrate, and a few other things after which it was back to normal (symptoms vary, but localised ache at injection site is almost universal), but shot 2? Nothing, just easy-as. From what I'm hearing that's pretty typical.
I've heard most people experience it other way around. First shot, no issues, second shot, mild issues.
Old 9th July 2021, 17:46     #42664
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kRAdENkO
I've heard most people experience it other way around. First shot, no issues, second shot, mild issues.
AstraZenica? Not according to the doc I spoke with. Hardly a through survey, though the people at my work also have had it #1: Symptoms, #2: Nothing.

Old 12th July 2021, 23:09     #42665
MadMax
Stuff

I think docs will always speak well of it and intentionally not put people off

One person at my work had to take two days off. First day was the usual side effects, second was brain fade.

My wife's workplace has all frontline staff that require the jab. They're already short staffed and have had a lot knocked out for a few days.

Ensure your staff don't all take the jabs at the same time.
Old 13th July 2021, 22:34     #42666
crocos

Mystery Flesh Pit National Park. WTF.

Old 14th July 2021, 00:03     #42667
Lightspeed

I've seen that before, can't recall where. Sounds very 9M9H9E9.

I really like the whole creepypasta genre.
Old 14th July 2021, 07:22     #42668
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
Mystery Flesh Pit National Park. WTF.
I don't remember owning a Heathkit droid, but I'd recognise a Hero-1 anywhere...

Then again Stranger Things have happened.

Last edited by StN : 14th July 2021 at 07:26.
Old 16th July 2021, 13:34     #42669
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
In other news I have been pronouncing the word diaspora incorrectly for my entire life
Holy shit desultory is pronounced DESSiltry
Old 17th July 2021, 01:35     #42670
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

How many computers do you guys own?

I mean working ones - owning a CPU in a drawer doesn't count as a computer (although technically it might).

Ignore Raspberry Pis (unless you actually use them)

I think I am an order of magnitude too high.
Old 17th July 2021, 02:48     #42671
crocos

Of the ones I actually use: Two desktops (one an older Intel, other an AMD 3900x), a Xeon laptop (lol) a Surface Book 3, an older Surface tablet, an iPad Air2.

There are other devices kicking around also

Old 17th July 2021, 16:14     #42672
Delphinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus

Had someone come visit and saw my office "How many people work here?" they asked.

"Just me". Counted the 6 computers around me....
Old 17th July 2021, 16:30     #42673
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

2x Imacs running Catalina
1x Macbook Air running Big Sur
1x G4 PowerMac running Tiger
1x Raspberry Pi running Raspbian
Old 17th July 2021, 20:18     #42674
Brutus

2 PCs. 2 tablets. 2 phones.

Thats it for in regular use devices.

2 more PCs and a laptop in a cupboard but it has been years since they've had been used.
Old 18th July 2021, 13:28     #42675
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus

I mean working ones - owning a CPU in a drawer doesn't count as a computer (although technically it might).

Ignore Raspberry Pis (unless you actually use them)

When you say CPU in a drawer you aren't speaking about chips, right?

If I don't count the garage (and conservatory where I have an Apple IIGS set up for its photoshoot) then with the kids gone, only my grunt rig (which is >5 years old ) and Mrs StNs WFH setup.

PIs were doing webcam archiving, but now DVR.

Garage has the vintage Unix collection and CADCAM PCs, which are resurrections of the damned.

As for the *nix boxes, I'm going to slowly work through them and document what they are for the Estate. Pay it forward
Old 19th July 2021, 16:14     #42676
blynk

PC, HTPC, Mining PC.
Laptop.

But going to look to change the set up and see if I can combine my mining PC & HTPC into a media centre and just use an old Pi to serve it up to the TV.
Old 21st July 2021, 07:31     #42677
StN
I have detailed files

Loving HPs Mr Robot cyber campaign.
Old 21st July 2021, 15:24     #42678
MadMax
Stuff

Signs the person you’re calling hates technology:

“You have reached the voicemail box of - Hi it’s Bob here sorry to have missed your call but please leave a message and I’ll come back to you - leave a message or for more options press the hash key”

Me: “Oh hi Hiit’sBobheresorrytohavemissedyourcall …”

Last edited by MadMax : 21st July 2021 at 15:27.
Old 21st July 2021, 15:33     #42679
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

trick post, everyone who has voicemail hates technology.
Old 21st July 2021, 15:57     #42680
Lightspeed

The floods in Zheng-zhou look horrifying.

https://twitter.com/billbirtles/stat...86267139362837

Why flooding everywhere all of a sudden? Nature getting in on the memes?