o_O

The no fly list doesn't know that.
Old 19th May 2010, 20:14     #22002
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Meatball
The no fly list doesn't know that.
It isn't allowed to - that would imply racial profiling!
Old 19th May 2010, 20:36     #22003
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

roast chicken, kumara/potato/carrot/cabbage

i ate too much

:*(

/me dies
Old 19th May 2010, 21:38     #22004
fidgit
Always itchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by p01s0n
DVD Collection for sale, 220 dvds, $1 no reserve
http://bit.ly/dvU1GU
You have end of eva but not the rest of evangelion? I'd bid for that lone if you did...
Old 19th May 2010, 21:49     #22005
madmaxii

Roast Chicken, baked potatoes, baked carrots, baked onion, gravy, coleslaw - YUM
Old 19th May 2010, 22:07     #22006
madmaxii

'Enraged' Kiwi jumps on car dealer's car.

Quote:
Mr Quirey told the court Brown drove into him, forcing him onto the bonnet. He said the bull terrier was not to intimidate the car dealer, and the pickaxe handle was a toy for the dog.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/europe/...ar-dealers-car

Yeah - right
Old 20th May 2010, 14:21     #22007
Hondah

Sad

Has anyone had to go through a large life decision between something you have always wanted to do, but has large repercussions vs doing something that would put you in good steed and make others close to you happy?

I have wanted to join the police ever since being a kid. Recently I decided to man up and apply. But the negatives of the job are making my decision to pursue the career really hard . The shift work , a large drop in pay (~20k) , being hated by a good chunk of society , the physical risk to the job , 5 months away from the wife for training.

The first 2 reasons are my biggest concerns. The first because of the strain it would put on the marriage, and the 2nd because the alternative I had always see myself doing if it wasn't for the police is starting my own business and chasing the dollar, or at least bettering my career. This obviously has better possible financial rewards, less physical risk, better on the missus and so on.

But I can't help think that if I went down the business route - I would spend the rest of my life wondering if I should have joined the cops and then regretting it when i get to an age that would be too old to join.
The wife is pretty worried - the 5 months away, shift work meaning we barely see each other for months on end, and the possible injuries. I can't help but think this would make me feel selfish if I did go ahead because she would get all the negatives for no reward, even though she has said she would support me as much as she can.

Its really been bugging me. I've been thinking about this for 6 months now and am no closer to a decision. Doing something I have wanted to do all my live vs the easy road and a happier marriage?

Sorry for the e/n post. Yes I did register under a pseudo to keep anonymous. people read this forum that I don't want knowing about this *tinfoil hat*.
Old 20th May 2010, 14:28     #22008
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

It's OK Mojo, your secret is safe with us.
Old 20th May 2010, 14:31     #22009
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

Don't apply.
Old 20th May 2010, 14:43     #22010
Hondah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrick
Don't apply.

Because of your brother? Does he not enjoy the career?
Old 20th May 2010, 14:51     #22011
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

Nope.
Old 20th May 2010, 14:55     #22012
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
It's OK Mojo, your secret is safe with us.
Who's IP is it dear overlord?
Old 20th May 2010, 14:56     #22013
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondah
5 months away from the wife
Negatives?

BTW, yes motherfuckers, I'm back in this thread. Where's my motherfuckin' powhiri!?!?!
Old 20th May 2010, 14:56     #22014
MadMax
Stuff

if your wife doesn't want you to do it and you can see it will effect your marriage, don't do it. any regrets in not joining should easilly be quashed by keeping your marriage strong.
Old 20th May 2010, 15:05     #22015
Perfk
snakes & ladders

Is your wife worried about the 5 months apart (you guys can probably work through that - 5 months is not a lifetime)
or the lifestyle and all that comes with you being a cop (probably much much much harder to get a good compromise on)
Old 20th May 2010, 15:06     #22016
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
It says the team's competitors Italy, Paraguay and Slovakia, will not be pushed over by pre-game intimidation tactics like "the haka dance of the Maori people".
http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/storie...0/1248045ca208

[img]BLACK MAN GONNA GET YOU[/img]
Old 20th May 2010, 15:06     #22017
FaTBoB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
if your wife doesn't want you to do it and you can see it will effect your marriage, don't do it. any regrets in not joining should easilly be quashed by keeping your marriage strong.
and use it as a bargaining tool to get her to do that thing she always refuses....
Old 20th May 2010, 15:13     #22018
Nich

I'm told that from the time of application, there is at least a 2 year waiting list (and that's if you apply for South Auckland! Other districts have even longer wait times)

The shift work COULD work in your marriage's favour. While you might spend 2 weeks at a time of night shifts, working overtime etc etc, your rest periods will be massive, and you'll have multiple days in a row to hang with your wife.

Also, this is something you're passionate about, why doesn't your wife give you a blessing for taking action and following a selfless, life-changing dream?
Old 20th May 2010, 15:26     #22019
Pepsi
Konnichiwa, bitches

Two of my close friends have husbands who are cops, and for one of those couples in particular, the husband left a high paying job and obviously took a paycut to pursue a career with the police (which he had always wanted to do). It has been about 5 years or so now and every time we see him, he still talks about his job and the whole choice as being the best thing he ever did.

In both cases they have young families, and the income didn't cause them too many problems, considering they have continued to pop out kids too.. I have to admit, both guys seem to really pull their weight at home too, more so than a lot of fathers I know who work regular jobs.. so I guess this helps keeps the Mrs happy too (just an observation).

I guess if your wife isn't convinced yet though, you'd better work on getting her on side first.. because you may end up in a job you love, but if there is any resentment on her part it can't be good..
Old 20th May 2010, 15:40     #22020
madmaxii

Quote:
I guess if your wife isn't convinced yet though, you'd better work on getting her on side first.. because you may end up in a job you love, but if there is any resentment on her part it can't be good..
Old 20th May 2010, 15:44     #22021
Deadmeat

Tangent

I really hope we hear about a reduction in police injuries following the introduction of tasers.
Old 20th May 2010, 15:47     #22022
David

Even as a property investor, I like the build of the tax cuts. They'll ensure that income earners get a fairer go of things and hopefully depreciate the housing market to a better level for younger people.

Pain in my pocket, but overall better for the country I think.
Old 20th May 2010, 15:48     #22023
Hondah

The waiting time to get in isn't a problem for me, due to other circumstances I can't really go to college at least until the end of next year anyway.

Warrick: Why does he hate it? He's only a somewhat recent recruit isn't he?

Nich/Pepsi: Thanks. She does give me her support, but she would be lying if she said she wasn't worried about the time apart and stress that the job could bring. Thankfully she is in social work so has a little bit of understanding.

But I can't help feel a little guilty for bringing this into the relationship - even if it is something I've wanted for ages. We've talked in length about it and at the moment its a "wait and see" type thing, as I am still early in the process and have plenty of time to pull out.

Personally I am mentally ok with the shit that would come my way - I am not worried so much about how the job will directly effect me - rather how it will effect others (family, wife..). It's a tough cookie
Old 20th May 2010, 15:50     #22024
chiQ
Frag-muff

She's said she will support him. I think that's great. I say go for it, but make sure she is comfortable discussing stuff as it arises throughout, and isn't going to hold back and build up resentment if problems arise for her. Better to address live-changing shit at the time, than have bitterness accumulate between you through crap communication. This kind of stuff can screw relationships.
Old 20th May 2010, 15:56     #22025
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

Quote:
Warrick: Why does he hate it? He's only a somewhat recent recruit isn't he?
I answered the former, not the latter. I said don't apply based on how you wrote your initial post.
Old 20th May 2010, 16:00     #22026
Juju
get to da choppa

Have you thought about joining the police for a few years and then making a decision if you want to leave or not? You said you wouldn't want to leave it till later in life, so try now and then if it sucks go and do your business career?
Old 20th May 2010, 16:00     #22027
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

I wish to speak with Xunthar.
Old 20th May 2010, 16:29     #22028
SickBo@Work

Quote:
- rather how it will effect others (family, wife..). It's a tough cookie
There are tons of positions within the Police that are relatively family friendly and don't involve much shiftwork if any, although typically you will have to spend a a couple of years on the frontline or close to it before you have the experience to fufill one of those roles.

I left less than a year ago with the plan to do the whole daddy day care thing for a few years but I'm now in the process of rejoining with the wifes blessing because I missed it too much.
Old 20th May 2010, 16:49     #22029
Stalk3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by p01s0n
DVD Collection for sale, 220 dvds, $1 no reserve
http://bit.ly/dvU1GU
"Hello Kitty's Paradise Disc2 of set" lol?

im bidding anyways, but still, you should have nested that further in so it was glossed over rather than the first title on the comment :P
Old 20th May 2010, 17:07     #22030
Juju
get to da choppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickBo@Work
There are tons of positions within the Police that are relatively family friendly and don't involve much shiftwork if any, although typically you will have to spend a a couple of years on the frontline or close to it before you have the experience to fufill one of those roles.

I left less than a year ago with the plan to do the whole daddy day care thing for a few years but I'm now in the process of rejoining with the wifes blessing because I missed it too much.

Woah, you're a cop? Never would have guessed... if anything I would have said lawyer!
Old 20th May 2010, 17:11     #22031
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalk3r
"Hello Kitty's Paradise Disc2 of set" lol?

im bidding anyways, but still, you should have nested that further in so it was glossed over rather than the first title on the comment :P
Isn't it the Perfk/P01s0n collection?
Old 20th May 2010, 17:13     #22032
p01s0n

All perfs, I don't own a single dvd!

*except blank dvds, aheh heh heh heh*
Old 20th May 2010, 17:14     #22033
Perfk
snakes & ladders

It's my collection
HelloKitty fan and proud of it right here!

Just had to remove a 3k bid from some muppet who is tooling around overbidding on everything on the front page though...
Old 20th May 2010, 18:05     #22034
Pepsi
Konnichiwa, bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfk
It's my collection

Just had to remove a 3k bid from some muppet who is tooling around overbidding on everything on the front page though...
Damn, if I knew there was Hello Kitty I would have added those to my little list too...
Old 20th May 2010, 18:07     #22035
crocos

Quote:
It's my collection

Even going $550 to $1000 is muppet territory IMO.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 20th May 2010, 18:39     #22036
Stalk3r

Quote:
It's my collection

you should pull the top 2 bids then as well and let me put a bid back in at a realistic level the bid under mine was the same person ramping the price up
Old 20th May 2010, 19:05     #22037
Perfk
snakes & ladders

done
Old 20th May 2010, 19:08     #22038
Stalk3r

im still bidding, and i think itll still get up to where my bid was, i just think it should get there fairly p.s. you can keep hello kitty
Old 20th May 2010, 19:24     #22039
mpx

My fiance has a colossal DVD collection but hates anime, all the anime in that collection on TM, I want!
Damn you perf for selling it in bulk! :P
Old 20th May 2010, 19:36     #22040
Perfk
snakes & ladders

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpx
My fiance has a colossal DVD collection but hates anime, all the anime in that collection on TM, I want!
Damn you perf for selling it in bulk! :P
you could buy the tv series stuff I have left over
there isn't much good (actually it's mostly shit)
but there is lain, gasaraki & bubblegum crisis you could hide it from her & she'd never know your secret shame haha