NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 12th July 2022, 06:05     #2721
StN
I have detailed files

The no sex thing is interesting - definitely some social skills you don't get no matter how long you have been training on twitch with your mates.

My daughter had some friends over last week, and they sat in the lounge and gave .ppt presentations to each other with an abstract theme ripping on each other. Maybe it's just her clique.
Old 13th July 2022, 16:48     #2722
crocos

Accustom them to corporate life while still young. Adaption

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 13th July 2022, 23:21     #2723
Caesar

New Covid mutant BA.2.75 of concern

So... here's a scenario which I believe is more than possible.

Covid is out here in the world and it would appear its here to stay?.
If that's being the case and with it constantly mutating then who's to say it won't one day, evolve into a immune / vaccine evading super deadly variant.
They say the BA.5 version evades the vaccines already so it might not be a big jump for a few more mutations in the spike proteins? (not sure if that's right) to develop into a even more spreadable and deadly strain.
Old 14th July 2022, 00:13     #2724
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Your URL doesn't work.

I assume it's this: Link from Stuff
Old 14th July 2022, 12:07     #2725
_indigo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar
If that's being the case and with it constantly mutating then who's to say it won't one day, evolve into a immune / vaccine evading super deadly variant.
This was the entire point of the elimination strategy, doomed as it was, and what so many of the meatheads saying we should just live with it failed to grasp.

It's that if we didn't eliminate it early, we would be dealing with this and it's subsequent mutations forever. It wasn't all about dealing with COVID as it was then. It was about having it on the playfield for the foreseeable future.

Many of them will contend that that's no different than the flu - or that viruses like that settle into less deadly variants not more deadly - but those are both over-reaches and assume we know way more than we do.

SARS-CoV-2 is a novel virus. We just don't know what it's going to do in the future. We can hope for the best - but you are right, having it on the playfield is dangerous exactly because it's a wildcard - and it's gone too far now to put the toothpaste back in the tube.

Last edited by _indigo1 : 14th July 2022 at 12:09.
Old 14th July 2022, 16:50     #2726
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Australia has now discarded the concept of "listen to the science".
Old 14th July 2022, 17:25     #2727
Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
Your URL doesn't work.

I assume it's this: Link from Stuff
Bah.. I had it working too.
Copy n paste fail.
But yeah it was that stuff article, cheers.
Old 18th July 2022, 18:48     #2728
Lightspeed

It's crazy to me that Japan are going through their seventh covid wave:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...ave-proposals/
Old 19th July 2022, 19:37     #2729
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Laugh The algorithm knows that we know

Old 19th July 2022, 20:29     #2730
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

muh

The Vaccine Pitch Meeting

Comedy skit...
Old 20th July 2022, 09:36     #2731
xor

i lol'd. GL with the mask mandates NZ!
Old 20th July 2022, 10:59     #2732
StN
I have detailed files

Rumour has it the photographer asked for them to be off (Many are seen holding them), but yeah, not a flash look.
Old 20th July 2022, 11:46     #2733
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor

i lol'd. GL with the mask mandates NZ!
Old 20th July 2022, 11:52     #2734
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Rumour has it the photographer asked for them to be off (Many are seen holding them), but yeah, not a flash look.
Yeah, sure. Let's roll with that one. It's just a few million dollars spent on PR campaigns trying to convince people to wear masks that is now down the drain.
Old 22nd July 2022, 11:38     #2735
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Siouxsie Wiles on a crisis facing our nation’s health

Quote:

I’ve just found out Newstalk ZB & the NZ Herald are running pieces that basically attack me. The harm they will cause is immense. They undermine peoples trust in my advice on how to protect our lives & livelihoods from COVID & further embolden those who harass & threaten me
Old 24th July 2022, 15:00     #2736
Lightspeed

NZ currently has the highest COVID deaths per million right now. Which sounds bad. Until you see how bad it was for other countries that couldn't take the measures we were able to, to avoid big surges of infections before both vaccines and treatments could be developed.

It allows us to see how thoroughly effective a scientific approach is to public health.

It also forces idiots into the light.
Old 24th July 2022, 15:50     #2737
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
NZ currently has the highest COVID deaths per million right now.
Unfortunately, that is all some people hear.
Old 24th July 2022, 16:09     #2738
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

I'm posting this in response to LS's Biden thread post, as it's more COVID than Biden.

If the vaccine worked, we should be seeing an overwhelming number of cases and severity in the unvaccinated, and far fewer in the vaccinated (taking into account proportions of the population). We're not. Excuse the funky discontinuities in the graph, that's MoH data fuckery.

Why are fully vaccinated/boosted people still making up the bulk of both these graphs if the vaccine works? Why are unvaccinated people NOT making up the bulk of these graphs if the vaccine is necessary? It seems obvious that the vaccine is not preventing infection, and further, not keeping those infected out of hospital. There would be a stronger case for vaccination if cases were spread among everyone, but hospitalizations were largely unvaxed. That's not the case. Sorry that the vaccine was a flop. You can claim it works if you insist, but the data doesn't show that.

COVID is not taking out healthy young people. Does anyone know anyone healthy that died from COVID? There seem to be plenty of healthy people "dying suddenly" or "unexpectedly", so it's definitely not the vaccine, just a bad case of coincidence. There's negligible difference between being vaccinated and unvaccinated as far as proportions of the population making up cases/hospitalizations, and most of the deaths are old people anyway, so regardless of your status, if you're not 70 years old, NONE OF THIS EVEN APPLIES. Even if you can find a minute advantage for vaccination based on small numbers of hospitalized elderly, it's not enough to justify mandates for middle aged nurses, for instance. You are most likely to die from COVID if you are near life expectancy age. Surprise surprise. You are most likely to die from vaccination side effects if you are a young male.

What worked for NZ was keeping out the original nasty strain (border closure, hooray). Now we have a different strain of the virus, which obviously evades the vaccine (boo). We can't say much with respect to the original strain, because we didn't experience it, and vaccination wasn't around for it. You draw a false conclusion by assuming the virus is invariant over time, and it's not.
Old 24th July 2022, 16:17     #2739
_indigo1

Don't feed him
Old 24th July 2022, 16:22     #2740
Lightspeed

Laugh

But I'm having a bad day, so I need to lash out!

Cause I'm jealous I can't see the conspiracies that explain why only DrTitus understands and why the world's health care experts are silent.

Still, it does grate how DrT is treating hospital admissions data as if it's covid data. Whatever it takes to believe what you need to I suppose. Of course he thinks the same about the world's medical professionals.

Last edited by Lightspeed : 24th July 2022 at 16:25.
Old 24th July 2022, 18:09     #2741
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Siouxsie Wiles on a crisis facing our nation’s health
Quote:
I’ve just found out Newstalk ZB & the NZ Herald are running pieces that basically attack me. The harm they will cause is immense. They undermine peoples trust in my advice on how to protect our lives & livelihoods from COVID & further embolden those who harass & threaten me
She was right.

Criticism of mini-doco funding hits a dead end
Old 25th July 2022, 13:57     #2742
Trigga*happY

DrTitus, you're missing one key statistic there - Percentage of population vaccinated, vaccinated people make up the bulk of the population. The other factor you have to consider, is that non-vaccinated have been excluded from positions and activities for over how many months now? By their choice they have been partially isolated already, and therefore are probably less likely to face infection.
Old 25th July 2022, 14:15     #2743
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Remember when the Media Council found that Siouxsie Wiles had completely made up a claim that she used to attack colleagues in the media, finding that her attack was "damaging to the complainants’ professional standing and reputation”

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
So, um, in this the year of our lord 2022 probably not the best look for a science communicator, let alone one as high-profile with regard to the COVID campaign as Siouxsie Wiles, to get caught out telling deliberate falsehoods in order to serve a political end.
Old 25th July 2022, 14:53     #2744
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigga*happY
DrTitus, you're missing one key statistic there - Percentage of population vaccinated, vaccinated people make up the bulk of the population.
Precisely. If the vaccine worked, we would have very few cases because there would be less susceptible people, and the numbers would be overwhelmingly among the unvaccinated. It's not the case, so you're relying on statistical wizardry to try and prove a point. Just accept it bro, the vaccine is no protection.

On your point about being excluded, that's true for some periods of time, but there has been no significant change over time, in fact there was an early hump where some unvaccinated people did get it, and hasn't happened again after they presumably got natural immunity, while the vaccinated group seems to be affected more.

That doesn't mean the vaccinations are a negative benefit, but it sure as fuck doesn't show that it stops COVID.
Old 25th July 2022, 15:11     #2745
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

We eradicated smallpox with vaccination because the smallpox vaccine apparently works.

We are still in a pandemic because this one apparently doesn't. It's that simple.
Old 25th July 2022, 16:11     #2746
Lightspeed

The vaccines does work. It's not a cure, but it's enabled the freedom the public has demanded within the bounds of risk we're willing to tolerate. You have to cherry pick or misrepresent statements to make out that a magical cure was what was on offer.

Either that or somehow there's a large volume of people throughout the world, willing to work often for low pay in miserable conditions for the sake of our health, who are also willing to sell us out for big pharma.

Or they're both smart enough to administer healthcare but not as smart is armchair epidemiologists, and have been duped.
Old 25th July 2022, 18:29     #2747
_Incubus_

So having Covid for the second time is just as shitty the first time around...you'd think triple vaxed and having only had it 6 months ago would have given me some immunity....not so much apparently.
Old 25th July 2022, 19:07     #2748
_indigo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Incubus_
So having Covid for the second time is just as shitty the first time around...you'd think triple vaxed and having only had it 6 months ago would have given me some immunity....not so much apparently.

Might be one of the newer strains second time around?
Old 26th July 2022, 11:54     #2749
_Incubus_

Quote:
Originally Posted by _indigo1
Might be one of the newer strains second time around?
Yeah, we've just got back from the UK where there's another new strain that's doing the rounds.

No one there seems to give a rats anymore about isolations, masks etc...It's all back to normal apart from everyone has covid and it's being passed around endlessly.
Old 26th July 2022, 12:06     #2750
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

...with a death rate half that of NZ?
Old 26th July 2022, 22:05     #2751
sidbo
Raptus regaliter

Is that just a reporting methodology? Wasn't there something recently that they were going to change the death number reporting in NZ which would bring that rate down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpX28FMeERQ

Last edited by sidbo : 26th July 2022 at 22:06.
Old 27th July 2022, 07:54     #2752
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Incubus_
Yeah, we've just got back from the UK where there's another new strain that's doing the rounds.

No one there seems to give a rats anymore about isolations, masks etc...It's all back to normal apart from everyone has covid and it's being passed around endlessly.
Yeah, I think the next few weeks NZ may be fucked.
The amount of people that went overseas, and the amount of people that will be infected overseas/airports.
I believe we will see another big jump in cases coming up
Old 27th July 2022, 08:19     #2753
_Incubus_

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
Yeah, I think the next few weeks NZ may be fucked.
The amount of people that went overseas, and the amount of people that will be infected overseas/airports.
I believe we will see another big jump in cases coming up
Can well believe that, the flights to the UK and back were at 100% capacity and the amount of people I saw coughing and sneezing at the airport and on the plane was crazy...

The whole mask thing on the plane was/is a joke, you must wear your mask unless you're eating or drinking. That's the safe time for everyone onboard to drop their masks...
Old 30th July 2022, 10:23     #2754
MadMax
Stuff

Coughing and sneezing I'd be inclined to attribute to the flu or common cold that's rampant at the moment.

Excuse me while I go jump off the top of a tall tree ensuring I smack myself with plenty of wood on the way down but I've not caught anything yet thankfully. My wife has had a cold, my son had covid where I was isolating with him for two weeks and I've had none of it. Hopefully it stays that way
Old 30th July 2022, 12:14     #2755
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
Coughing and sneezing I'd be inclined to attribute to the flu or common cold that's rampant at the moment.
But there will still be a lot of those people that it is covid.
Old 2nd August 2022, 17:13     #2756
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I was officially a close contact on Sunday and started feeling like dogshit last night and today. Nose, throat, chills, body ache. PCR test this afternoon, awaiting results.
Old 2nd August 2022, 19:07     #2757
StN
I have detailed files

...but no sneezing.
Old 2nd August 2022, 21:58     #2758
_Incubus_

Yep, missus couldn't stop sneezing...covid +ve
Old 2nd August 2022, 22:34     #2759
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Affirmative, no sneezing.
Old 3rd August 2022, 11:46     #2760