NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 20th July 2020, 12:54     #921
crocos

Metropolitan Melbourne: Must wear masks (from this Thursday).

GOOD.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 20th July 2020, 13:35     #922
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
Have been looking at options for moving back to NZ to escape the madness that is Victoria. Alas it's looking less than practical right now.
Looks like that's about to become a lot more expensive too, the government is talking about quarantine charges.
Old 20th July 2020, 16:09     #923
crocos

As an Australian citizen, I actually don't have the option right now unless I was to apply for compassionate reasons or something, so doesn't really matter.

However if I'm being charged for quarantine, I want a say in what I'm being charged FOR. EG: If I'm getting charged $3k but don't get a choice between Plaza International Hotel or a Quality Hotels, then I'd be PISSED if I got pushed into a Quality Hotels outlet.

Old 20th July 2020, 17:48     #924
fixed_truth

I reckon they should only bill people without a NZ passport and citizens & residents returning from travel where they left after lockdown.
Old 21st July 2020, 13:36     #925
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
I reckon they should only bill people without a NZ passport and citizens & residents returning from travel where they left after lockdown.
I would include a time away as well.
Been away <2 years, thats fine, probably an O.E. or something else.
Been away >2 years, then you pay.

Been away 20 years. Fuck off
Old 21st July 2020, 17:16     #926
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
Been away 20 years. Fuck off
*cough* oi.

If I, a registered member of two well-resourced iwi, with whakapapa up to here, returned to Aotearoa and were detained by the white colonialist establishment and forced to pay for my detention, I would make such a Treaty issue out of it that children yet unborn would one day be reading woke thinkpieces about it in The Spinoff.
Old 21st July 2020, 20:28     #927
pxpx

We shall tear down a statue of Cook, and replace it with a bronze of you passed out on a pinball machine :P
Old 21st July 2020, 20:54     #928
Lightspeed

Laugh

Old 23rd July 2020, 11:00     #929
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

New Zealand I love you

https://twitter.com/Pickupthepace22/...47180268322817
Old 23rd July 2020, 19:07     #930
Nothing

American billionaire likes being in NZ during COVID19 Pandemic

John Campbell doesn't really know who he's interviewing
Old 23rd July 2020, 19:17     #931
Nothing

GabeN doing his best impression of Kevin Flynn from Tron Legacy.
Old 23rd July 2020, 22:19     #932
crocos

RIP HL3

Old 24th July 2020, 00:39     #933
Lightspeed

Fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
RIP HL3
I mean, we got 'im. So, he doesn't get out till we get it. HL3 confirmed, NZ come out heroes once again.
Old 24th July 2020, 11:24     #934
pxpx

Lets make it happen
Old 24th July 2020, 12:01     #935
StN
I have detailed files

And my Axe.
Old 26th July 2020, 17:16     #936
crocos

COVIDIOTS strike again - this is becoming a disappointingly common tale:
https://twitter.com/sexenheimer/stat...74291138572288

Starts when an unidentified wannabe lawyer woman rocks in to Bunnings and is asked to put on a mask, present a medical certificate as to why she can't, or leave.

Last edited by crocos : 26th July 2020 at 17:17.
Old 30th July 2020, 15:41     #937
crocos

Vic: Over 700 in last 24h, extending regions covered by lock-down.

Still only at a level 3-ish lockdown + masks, it feels like Melb is busier than prev lockdown.

And cherry on top: Someone diagnosed positive went to work. Several found to not be home.

Old 30th July 2020, 15:55     #938
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Vic up to 723 now (midday), 16 deaths. holy shit.
Old 30th July 2020, 17:26     #939
Nich

We'll never know if lock downs actually worked to slow the virus. But they certainly worked to boost suicides by 7x and bankrupt over 50% of SMEs. So I'll eat my hat and never say government is ineffectual ever again.
Old 30th July 2020, 18:52     #940
Nich

Here's a daily dose of sanity to stem the fear mongering and forces that are turning us into stool pigeons.

We Are Victims of the Greatest Crime in History - Vernon Coleman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhYX8RzyMC4

Remember to not pay the numbers too much attention:
- The PCR tests are still wildly inaccurate: https://www.health.gov.au/resources/...e-pcr-platform
- Australia accepts any old test anyway in the interest of expedience even though there is little evidence of their accuracy: https://www.tga.gov.au/covid-19-test...-professionals
- Australia's mining magnates are still China's bitch: https://www.theguardian.com/australi...covid-19-tests
- China is running the largest global DNA dragnet and COVID is an opportunity to increase its data collection https://www.aspi.org.au/report/genomic-surveillance
Old 30th July 2020, 19:18     #941
Lightspeed

I figure it would be the people dying that would have you afraid.
Old 30th July 2020, 20:08     #942
bradman

Heh - tell the almost 200K DEAD in amerikkka, and watch the oz dead pile up nich. And keep calling your BS.

Just for the record as I think nich is such a pussy and can't answer facts he's bungholed me in ignore, hahaa. cancel culture! Heh, dumbass.

And oh yeah, got that one StN =]

Last edited by bradman : 30th July 2020 at 20:11.
Old 30th July 2020, 20:59     #943
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich
We'll never know if lock downs actually worked to slow the virus. But they certainly worked to boost suicides by 7x and bankrupt over 50% of SMEs. So I'll eat my hat and never say government is ineffectual ever again.
Wowsers. Please link your sources.
7 times the number of suicides. Are you telling me that in Australia, between March - June, where there would normally be 1000 suicides. There were 7000 suicides.
So over twice the annual rate in 4 months.

+ the 50% SMEs bankrupt. I don't have stats for that, but I call BS as well.
Old 30th July 2020, 22:01     #944
bradman

I can't recall the word for wankers who wah on about something else in a discussion to obfuscate an issue. Is it sealioning?
Old 30th July 2020, 22:17     #945
bradman

Man you comedy goldness. You realise I'm in NZ?
You think the lock down here didn't work?

Spin that with bullshit.

Bang up your source for 7k suicides and ill find some sources of deaths from c19. The orange dipshit normally says a number before he says he saved 2 million. Last one he said was 160k.
Old 30th July 2020, 22:29     #946
bradman

Those are at tin foil hatterach nich too =)
Old 31st July 2020, 15:07     #947
[fe]

Quote:
We'll never know if lock downs actually worked to slow the virus. and bankrupt over 50% of SMEs.
I will be interested to see how approach of aggressively shutting down for a short period here in NZ shakes out compared to other approaches. We were at a packed out pub today for lunch, and have been quite a few times in the past weeks. No limitations for social distancing etc. If covid was a threat day to day there is zero chance I would gone there and spent money.
Old 31st July 2020, 15:11     #948
Lightspeed

It definitely worked here. I'm not sure there are many other places they've attempted a complete lockdown. They've bucked them before they've run their course.
Old 31st July 2020, 20:15     #949
crocos

Quote:
Zero idea on the SME impact though I do know it's been considerable here in AU. Ditto I have nothing on the suicide stats. However from a "get it done" POV, the sooner and harder places have locked down the quicker they have recovered. NZ being a great example, but even compare the Aussie states: WA and SA locked down early & hard, and while still isolating externally are internally back to business as usual.
QLD and NSW locked down not as hard and it took longer to get case numbers under control. NSW had some shitty luck with cruise ships and then started easing up too early, which is why their numbers are climbing again.
VIC was starting to get it's shit together with the L3-lite lockdown it initially did, but hiring idiots (security guards) rather than getting the ADF in caused some spread, and then VIC started letting up WAY to early - it's no surprise we're back to masking up. At least it's mandatory this time.

Quote:
Here's a daily dose of sanity to stem the fear mongering and forces that are turning us into stool pigeons.
Nich you've got a bit of cheek calling out about fear & uncertainty then trying to add more to the trash-fire. And calling Coleman unbiased is like saying the Proud Boys aren't racist, though I grant he's a VERY slick talker.

Quote:
Remember to not pay the numbers too much attention:
Fun - you're criticizing the results based on the numbers found but then saying to ignore them? Dude, pull ya head out.

Quote:
- The PCR tests are still wildly inaccurate: https://www.health.gov.au/resources/...e-pcr-platform
Read through this. Seems to work well from actually reading this. Not perfect by any rate - but the ones failed on are extreme dilutions, far less diluted than typically used, though if someone was only just recently infected it's possible that effective dilution level is likely - but they've said all along that C19 isn't readily detectable early, it's one of the major issues with it.
False positive rate is acceptably low.
To call the tests "wildly inaccurate" is itself wildly inaccurate.

Quote:
- Australia accepts any old test anyway in the interest of expedience even though there is little evidence of their accuracy: https://www.tga.gov.au/covid-19-test...-professionals
Uh, that's so very much not what that says. It's a "trust but verify" approach, which DOES leave opening for error and variance, but the approaches are very rigorously reviewed and requires ongoing test results to be monitored

Quote:
- Australia's mining magnates are still China's bitch: https://www.theguardian.com/australi...covid-19-tests
Your statement: Yes, nothing has changed there
Regards the actual too&fro with BGI, BGI are an equipment & training supplier in the Australian context - they're not actually performing the tests and the testing on their kits was on-par with the reference kits already in use. Only issue is political BS and if Foster is a corrupt fucker (he probably is IMO) using this as a chance to make bank.

Quote:
- China is running the largest global DNA dragnet and COVID is an opportunity to increase its data collection https://www.aspi.org.au/report/genomic-surveillance
And none of the companies used in Australia (no idea about elsewhere) have known links to the Chinese beyond equipment & consumables. Is it possible? Yes, but in this case I actually consider it unlikely.

Old 2nd August 2020, 23:24     #950
crocos

Melbourne's in a so-called "level 4" lockdown.
Same as level 3 plus -
  • curfew 8pm-5am
  • 1 hr max once per day exercise
  • Max two people while exercising (vs simply "can be out exercising") and MUST be from same household (some exceptions for exercising w. children)
  • stay within 5km of home when out (with some exceptions, eg if nearest super is over 5km)
Everything still open, including bottlo's (in a VERY Aussie move this was specifically highlighted).
Intimate partners can ignore the 5km rule when visiting.
Many exceptions.

So not REALLY level 4, more like 3.5

Last edited by crocos : 2nd August 2020 at 23:28.
Old 2nd August 2020, 23:30     #951
crocos

... SOME shops shut, more details coming tomorrow apparently.

Old 3rd August 2020, 09:49     #952
pxpx

Time to bite the bullet and do a proper kiwi style lockdown
Old 3rd August 2020, 11:01     #953
Cyberbob

Meanwhile, today's a full school day. WCGW.
Old 3rd August 2020, 12:42     #954
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
Time to bite the bullet and do a proper kiwi style lockdown
The thing about the Kiwi lockdown is that there was community support for it. Team of five million, all that stuff. No such unity exists on this side of the Tasman.
Old 3rd August 2020, 13:08     #955
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
The thing about the Kiwi lockdown is that there was community support for it. Team of five million, all that stuff. No such unity exists on this side of the Tasman.
I used to think of these as cringe worthy - now evidently, they are part of our makeup:

No cringe in this one!

Last edited by StN : 3rd August 2020 at 13:09.
Old 3rd August 2020, 15:08     #956
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
That song is awesomely hilarious, and also makes me all emotional.
Old 5th August 2020, 13:43     #957
blynk

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/ind...-john-key-says
Quote:
The former National Party leader and three term prime minister said consumer confidence and buoyant equity and property markets were being propped up by low interest rates and not a true reflection of the real economy.
Bit rich from JK about not a true reflection of the economy, when his whole term as PM the economy was boosted because of immigration and not really a true reflection of the economy.
Old 5th August 2020, 19:26     #958
Know me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/ind...-john-key-says

Bit rich from JK about not a true reflection of the economy, when his whole term as PM the economy was boosted because of immigration and not really a true reflection of the economy.
Immigration adds to the economy. Borrowing and printing money is a takeaway. Guess you could call it a Chinese takeaway.
Old 5th August 2020, 19:35     #959
Lightspeed

Immigration is useful tool that has limits and consequences. Likewise with debt and currency manipulation.

Both add to the economy when done well, both are to the detriment of the economy when done poorly.

We've had a long glut of immigration to make up for the lack of borrowing for the sake of political expediency.
Old 5th August 2020, 20:53     #960
Nothing

John Key on the news tonight saying that we have to be creative and flexible and open up the border. Hopefully that will give enough people an idea of what National will do that National won't get in.