NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 10th October 2017, 15:37     #6721
Fx.

Ahha that accent sticks out like crazy specially for someone been in Canada 8 years
Old 10th October 2017, 21:57     #6722
ceer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
Trying to get into Powerless.

Set in the DCU, about a company that creates high tech kit in a city where superheroes saving the day are a common occurrence.

I'm not sold on it. I was really hoping for a 'Better Off Ted' sort of vibe but it's nowhere near that clever if you ask me.
Didn't like it at all. Not even the Adam West cameo could save it. I had high hopes with Alan Tudyk in it..but sadly it failed. Not funny at all
Old 10th October 2017, 22:15     #6723
[fe]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I’ve heard very good things about that.
They make use of a wealth of archival footage incl internal presidential recordings, but it's the modern day interviews with the vets discussing/reliving the events that hit the hardest for me.
Old 11th October 2017, 09:36     #6724
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar
So American Gods is out...
Its ahh... interesting...

Anyone familiar with the source material?
I'm tempted to watch this based on the fact that it's Bryan Fuller behind it. (Dead Like Me, Wonderfalls, Pushing Daisies)

Any good?
Old 11th October 2017, 14:49     #6725
chiQ
Frag-muff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
I'm tempted to watch this based on the fact that it's Bryan Fuller behind it. (Dead Like Me, Wonderfalls, Pushing Daisies)

Any good?
As someone who reads the book every year or three, and was really sceptical about it, I loved season one. Waiting eagerly for season 2...
Old 11th October 2017, 15:47     #6726
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Yeah, it's in the "Hannibal" vein - it's more a show INSPIRED by American Gods than a line-for-line adaptation. And I mean that in a good way, I fucking loved Hannibal.
Old 11th October 2017, 20:13     #6727
[Malks] Pixie

Yeah it's good - I've never been a big fan of the source material (something about the writing style) but it's good.

I'm just hoping that Happy is even half as good as AG.
Old 17th October 2017, 16:22     #6728
chiQ
Frag-muff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Yeah, it's in the "Hannibal" vein - it's more a show INSPIRED by American Gods than a line-for-line adaptation. And I mean that in a good way, I fucking loved Hannibal.
I don't think so at all. It's a solid adaptation, with very few changes of moment. Hannibal is a complete reimagining of the books.
Old 17th October 2017, 17:28     #6729
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

are you on crazy pills, Dead Wife is like the lead character and she goes on a road trip with Sweeney and Salim the taxi driver and Easter decides to destroy the world?
Old 20th October 2017, 22:36     #6730
Redneck

Just popping in to say the sequence introducing Anubis was fucken awesome
Old 21st October 2017, 04:24     #6731
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Yes. It really was.
Old 23rd October 2017, 16:01     #6732
Lightspeed

Thumbs up

Season 2 of Dirk Gently is out.
Old 30th October 2017, 18:50     #6733
Deadmeat

Strike Back season 6 starts tomorrow.
Best ever buddy action tv show.
Old 30th October 2017, 19:29     #6734
Lightspeed

So is The Orville a progressive, irreverent take on old sci-fi tropes? It's like it's written by people who benefit from contemporary insight, but aren't very bright. But can't tell if that's intentional, maybe some kind of parody or satire?

E07 is a perfect example.

So we've got this first world 21st century-esque society. On one hand this world appears to be well resourced and functioning. The barista appeared happy and healthy as did everyone, more or less. There's infrastructure, technology. The rub was a certain group of people were excluded from this due to the absolute democracy set up. So life is great, unless you have been caught doing too many unpopular things.

But at the end of the episode it's asked how these people find out what food is healthy, for example. The answer that's given is the approach that is taken (absolute democracy), but it doesn't explain how this approach is effective. In fact it's suggested that this approach would be problematic. Except, it's not. We've just seen that as long as you don't fall foul to public opinion, you're going to get your needs met.

Did they intentionally negate their own argument? I don't get it.

I can't fault MacFarlane's comedic timing, it's the best part of the show.
Old 30th October 2017, 21:05     #6735
Cyberbob

The wife's got me into Pretty Little Liars. It's not bad. It's got to the point where i won't let her binge on netflix without me.
Old 31st October 2017, 08:06     #6736
reac
Min Sicker Reac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmeat
Strike Back season 6 starts tomorrow.
Best ever buddy action tv show.
Hadn't heard this, sweet.
Old 31st October 2017, 21:17     #6737
ceer

Latest Gotham series 4

I've seen 4 episodes now and so underwhelmed. I can't put my finger on it, debating on whether to continue watching tbh.
Old 2nd November 2017, 15:13     #6738
ZoSo

Nerdist podcast has a decent one on the Duffer Brothers (Stranger Things)
https://nerdist.com/nerdist-podcast-duffer-brothers/

S2 was alright.
Old 2nd November 2017, 16:26     #6739
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Liking Mindhunter. All the leads are good, hasn't turned into a Hannibal gorefest (which I feared).
Old 3rd November 2017, 12:32     #6740
chiQ
Frag-muff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Liking Mindhunter. All the leads are good, hasn't turned into a Hannibal gorefest (which I feared).
It's based on the book, which is very much not a goof fest, though Douglas, who I think is represented by Holden, is not the most likeable guy, judging from the book. They've made him more sympathetic.
Old 3rd November 2017, 13:02     #6741
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

The dynamic between the three leads is what I'm really enjoying. There's just something believable about the way they interact.

Also I love Groff.
Old 20th November 2017, 00:12     #6742
Lightspeed

Punisher is good first episode in. Can't see that changing, Punisher is what made S02 of Daredevil.

I liked Ray Stevenson in the movie he did but Jon Bernthal is real good at angry.
Old 20th November 2017, 01:43     #6743
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Punisher is good first episode in. Can't see that changing, Punisher is what made S02 of Daredevil.

I liked Ray Stevenson in the movie he did but Jon Bernthal is real good at angry.

Another excellent Marvel show ala JJ, LC, and DD.
Old 20th November 2017, 07:47     #6744
StN
I have detailed files

Now that H&CF finishes up on SoHo on Wednesday, I guess it's Ok to discuss. I found the final few episodes quite powerful, but I don't know if it was my white middle class dad of two teenagers-ness or that they were always using Sun Sparcstations, with a touch of emerging VRML, and of course, random Bob Ross on the telly.

Actually, the more I think about it, using the late Bob Ross in that way probably forced the US viewer of a certain age to feel more for the characters too. Definately moved from the tech to the personal in the closing episodes.
Old 20th November 2017, 11:40     #6745
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage

Another excellent Marvel show ala JJ, LC, and DD.
don't forget Iron Fist!
Old 20th November 2017, 11:45     #6746
crocos

But Iron Fist was so very forgettable.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 21st November 2017, 09:10     #6747
chiQ
Frag-muff

Indeed. I recently got interested, seeing a show I didn't recognise on NF, and then I realised I'd watched it the weekend it came out and forgotten. Tragic.
Old 22nd November 2017, 19:26     #6748
_Incubus_

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoSo
Nerdist podcast has a decent one on the Duffer Brothers (Stranger Things)
https://nerdist.com/nerdist-podcast-duffer-brothers/

S2 was alright.
I enjoyed S2, it definitely was a slow burn for things to get moving...
Old 22nd November 2017, 19:46     #6749
leadinjector

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiQ
It's based on the book, which is very much not a goof fest, though Douglas, who I think is represented by Holden, is not the most likeable guy, judging from the book. They've made him more sympathetic.
spoiler, he becomes more of a cunt as the show goes on. imo.
Old 27th November 2017, 12:15     #6750
Savage

Thanks to whoever posted about 'Strike Back' - great show after the first season. Bit repetitive, but entertaining nonetheless.

Young Sheldon - actually find this more amusing than Big Bang Theory. The actor who plays the lead role is quite good at adopting a lot of Jim Parson's quirks, and the arguments with his mother's priest are great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTbtsf1eY-g
Old 27th November 2017, 13:02     #6751
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Incubus_
this. I'm only a few eps into S2 and it's a bit of a grind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadinjector
spoiler, he becomes more of a cunt as the show goes on. imo.
this too. But it's believable - you can see that the work he's doing is making him a cunt.
Old 27th November 2017, 14:15     #6752
Cyberbob

Finished Pretty Little Liars - the last season and a half definitely felt like a straight to dvd sequel, or an expansion to a video game.
The rest and the wrap up to the main story arc half way through season 6 was really cool, it just took a while to appreciate the murder mystery aspect of it all.

Just finished Stranger Things s1. I think that it ended well and doesn't really need a second season. Sure there's some unanswered questions but served its purpose well. Filled an X-Files / Outer Limits sized gap really nicely.
Old 27th November 2017, 16:40     #6753
StN
I have detailed files

You won't be checking out those pearls?
Old 28th November 2017, 13:54     #6754
ZoSo

Thank fuck for Peaky Blinders and Vikings being back.
Old 1st December 2017, 07:34     #6755
StN
I have detailed files

Anyone seen Godless on the Netflix? Watched the first ep and whilst not quite as gritty (ie not as violent, with extreme swearing and nekkidness and rooting) as Deadwood it looks promising for an 1880's set Western.

(Checks IMDB - Oh, it only came out last week)

Oh - and it has Gordon from H&CF, Dr Denise from TWD and Jeff Daniels.
Old 1st December 2017, 11:12     #6756
Cyberbob

Hurry up, Westworld s2.
Old 1st December 2017, 11:26     #6757
ZoSo

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Anyone seen Godless on the Netflix? Watched the first ep and whilst not quite as gritty (ie not as violent, with extreme swearing and nekkidness and rooting) as Deadwood it looks promising for an 1880's set Western.
Well done but ultimately underwhelming. It's your typical cliche storyline re injured man + woman + child, a touch of sjw cringe and a weird psycopathic storyline tacked on. Perfect role for 'Gordon' though. Jack O'Connell was wasted and they cut the fuck out of Donald Cerrone. Saw him twice from memory. Jardine killing it though.
Old 1st December 2017, 22:05     #6758
Lightspeed

Anyone know if I can watch Crisis on Earth X stand-alone without being too lost?

Supergirl S03E08 Crisis on Earth X Part 1
Arrow S06E08 Crisis on Earth X Part 2
The Flash 2014 S04E08 Crisis on Earth X Part 3
Legends of Tomorrow S03E08 Crisis on Earth X Part 4
Old 5th December 2017, 12:58     #6759
ZoSo

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Incubus_
Speaking of a slow burn. Dark (2017). Gotta fire up the subtitles but is interesting.
Old 5th December 2017, 14:30     #6760
Lightspeed

Thumbs up

Yeah, I'm four episodes in, very mysterious.

Last edited by Lightspeed : 5th December 2017 at 14:31.