NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 13th March 2019, 21:43     #41481
CCS
Stunt Pants

Survivors in the Ethiopian aircrash will be thin on the ground!
Old 14th March 2019, 07:20     #41482
[Malks] Pixie

So I have another EP out now for anyone who is interested! A bit more pop than the last and the production is better but seems to be sitting in that uncanny auditory valley between a demo and studio recording. Plenty of topical stuff (media power, climate change, housing and labour issues) so give it a listen and any feedback is always welcome.

[Also before anyone asks, yes the EP description (abstract) is a joke...]

Considered an Unvarnished Truth by Otters
https://thek1500project.bandcamp.com...ruth-by-otters

There's also a B-sides comp which has some more varied stuff from between the last EP and this one if. Lower production values but a bit more variety (and certainly more guitar wankery).

2 BaD 4 BSiDEs 2
https://thek1500project.bandcamp.com...bad-4-bsides-2
Old 14th March 2019, 13:38     #41483
StN
I have detailed files

Thanks to the account verification overlord - for he doth good work.
Old 14th March 2019, 16:23     #41484
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Happy Birthday Nich!

I got you this picture of a baby grand:

(shipping was prohibitive on the real thing)
Old 14th March 2019, 17:09     #41485
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

HB Jonas
Old 14th March 2019, 18:53     #41486
StN
I have detailed files

I was gonna get a cheesy test to script ani-gif an ask you to undraw it.

Meh - Happy Birthday anyway!
Old 14th March 2019, 19:44     #41487
Lightspeed

37, still so young! HB Nich.
Old 26th March 2019, 07:56     #41488
MadMax
Stuff

So they’ve recently removed the up/down votes from the stuff comments section. Was useful for filtering out the extremes of riff raff and misinformation.
Old 26th March 2019, 08:54     #41489
BoyWonder

What will the "Nat trolls" do now?
Old 26th March 2019, 13:46     #41490
Nich

Oh, thanks for well wishes guys!

I was slightly busy on my birthday so missed this, my daughter was born!

Hazel Mowbray Butcher. Born on her due date too! She's one in a million
Old 26th March 2019, 14:36     #41491
Cyberbob

Wahoo, welcome to fatherhood

Huge congratulations to you and your partner.
Old 26th March 2019, 16:46     #41492
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

congrats to Mrs Undrawing first and foremost, and as Bob said welcome to the club. You will never recover from the sleep deprivation you are about to experience. Here's to the big adventure!
Old 26th March 2019, 17:29     #41493
StN
I have detailed files

Some day, in about 14 years time, you might get to sleep in on Xmas day.

Well done Nich.
Old 27th March 2019, 13:36     #41494
Nich

Simon, wanna roll a Warrior and a Rogue to while away my sleepless nights?

https://www.reddit.com/r/wowservers/...lo_1_blizzcon/

I fondly recall smashing through D2 while you were with MHG in the wee hours. It may the the only socially acceptable reason to be playing computer games at 2am.
Old 27th March 2019, 13:45     #41495
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I have fond memories of that time and of your nocturnal new-parent support

What's weirder is that he and I were in the middle of some battles last year and I was able to say to him "when you were a baby, I remember going afk on Jonas from NZG in the middle of our games to look after you... hey can I have those mana potions please..."
Old 27th March 2019, 16:16     #41496
MadMax
Stuff

So palmy airport - you can literally walk in the entrance, scan your mobile phone and walk into your flight a few meters ahead. Typical of a small airport.

So I’m sitting on the plane having done the above and a flight attendant walks past me and asks someone further towards the rear of the plane “do you have a seating conflict”. Then comes “oh you’re on the wrong flight”. Better, a call is made asking for “anyone that isn’t flying to Auckland to please get the attention of a flight attendant”.

I’m surprised the gate allowed them to scan through.
Old 30th March 2019, 00:37     #41497
Lightspeed

Randomly somehow reading about our power stations...

I figure working at one of our tiny rural power stations must be a pretty sweet gig if you like the lifestyle.

Also I noticed we've got about 1GW of new fossil fuel production consented. Much more renewable on the way though.
Old 31st March 2019, 18:54     #41498
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Mens rea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
In my defense I genuinely intended to not drink anything alcoholic today.
Old 1st April 2019, 10:10     #41499
crocos

Smooth criminal?

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 1st April 2019, 13:38     #41500
StN
I have detailed files

NZ China relations

So I ordered a small set of collets for a CNC machine back on 6th March. The slow boat from China continues.

Last Thursday night, I lay down my monies for a CNC machine - hits my desk lunchtime Monday. Was not delivered from a local warehouse - came from Dao bai yun district.

Golly.
Old 1st April 2019, 14:05     #41501
Lightspeed

This is why we won't be having a go at China for its Muslim concentration camps. We can't be fucking up that just-in-time delivery.
Old 2nd April 2019, 18:50     #41502
crocos

Possibly one of the worst Dad jokes I've heard. Therefore I must inflict it on y'all:

What did Charles Dickens keep in his spice rack?

It was the best of thymes, it was the worst of thymes...

sorry, not-sorry.

Old 2nd April 2019, 19:10     #41503
pxpx

ban him
Old 2nd April 2019, 19:51     #41504
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos

Old 4th April 2019, 00:03     #41505
crocos

I DID warn ya

In other subjects: Remember Amazon's plan for a blimp-warehouse from a couple years back?

April Fools sure, but... https://twitter.com/DanRobitzski/sta...07819799236609

Old 4th April 2019, 22:01     #41506
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Finally have a Letterpress opponent on the ropes. At a guess, four maybe five hundred moves in. The Letterpress GUI can’t handle the jandal and chokes if I press “played words”.
Old 10th April 2019, 23:00     #41507
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

(04) Homeless Watch

"Scuuuuse me" guy (Jeffery) has passed away.

Funeral is tomorrow 2pm St Annes Church in Newtown.
Old 14th April 2019, 13:09     #41508
MadMax
Stuff

What does one put on a form when asked for ethnicity when they are of and identify as two races? Do you tick other and in the following small compulsory box write ‘mixed’ losing your background to the numbers when you’d actually rather be known as the two ethnicities?
Old 14th April 2019, 17:56     #41509
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
What does one put on a form when asked for ethnicity when they are of and identify as two races? Do you tick other and in the following small compulsory box write ‘mixed’ losing your background to the numbers when you’d actually rather be known as the two ethnicities?
The right way to do this is to allow people to tick multiple boxes, to identify with multiple ethnicities.

Also race != ethnicity. You monster.

Last edited by crocos : 14th April 2019 at 17:58.
Old 18th April 2019, 15:35     #41510
Nich

A mate of mine is working on a project to solve one of the greatest mysteries of the last 10 years: Who is Satoshi Nakamoto?

He is in daily conversations with perhaps the most legitimate person to claim the name thusfar. Huge cypherpunk geek who was far too good at covering their tracks and erasing any evidence that would prove he was Satoshi.

My friend is helping Satoshi go back in time to find evidence.
Old 22nd April 2019, 08:03     #41511
blynk

So is it the dude who is suing for defamation of those who say he is not Satoshi?
Old 22nd April 2019, 11:29     #41512
Know me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich
A mate of mine is working on a project to solve one of the greatest mysteries of the last 10 years: Who is Satoshi Nakamoto?

He is in daily conversations with perhaps the most legitimate person to claim the name thusfar. Huge cypherpunk geek who was far too good at covering their tracks and erasing any evidence that would prove he was Satoshi.

My friend is helping Satoshi go back in time to find evidence.
What happened to all the bitcoin that that was still suppose to be controlled by Satoshi Nakamoto?
Old 22nd April 2019, 13:14     #41513
Nich

The guy's name is Phil Wilson (scronty). A kiwi programmer who lives in Sydney, who didn't know a thing about cypherpunks, or digital currencies. He was engaged into a project Craig Wright was working on to create a digital currency for a gambling website.

Craig gave him some reading material from cypherpunk forums. He researched the cypherpunk movement, and he went in deep. Realised Craig Wright's preliminary code base needed to be rewritten from the ground up. When Craig Wright said he would like to meet up and revealed where he lived (in Sydney 2 suburbs away from Phil), it made Phil panic thinking that the government was tracking him down. He destroyed his computers Mr Robot style and went to underground.

He needs a crucial piece of evidence to stake his claim: the credit card transaction with a specific bank to purchase bitcoin.org domain. This is where my friend comes in as he knows people at this bank, and can maybe get access to the tape archives.
Old 22nd April 2019, 18:13     #41514
Know me.

Does he have any source code from code he wrote pre bitcoin? I would analyse that to check for stylometry.

So he used his own credit card to purchase the domain? I find that hard to believe.
Old 22nd April 2019, 18:29     #41515
Nich

Great point re stylometry I'll suggest they do that.

Apparently the domain was the one thing he could not purchase without a credit card.
Old 23rd April 2019, 01:17     #41516
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
When Craig Wright said he would like to meet up and revealed where he lived (in Sydney 2 suburbs away from Phil), it made Phil panic thinking that the government was tracking him down. He destroyed his computers Mr Robot style and went to underground.
perfectly normal response to a meeting request
Old 23rd April 2019, 08:31     #41517
Cyberbob

Quote:
Apparently the domain was the one thing he could not purchase without a credit card.
Keep in mind that I can purchase an anonymous domain right now using my Visa Gift Card, and no details I provide are verified for authenticity. Heck even a verified SSL Cert simply looks to confirm the technical contact and send the details to the email address of that technical contact.
Old 23rd April 2019, 09:28     #41518
StN
I have detailed files

Hmm - I thought I knew of Phil Wilson from my days at Canterbury - aka Phil the Hairy - professional barefoot student. But on closer inspection there is another (now) Dr Phil Wilson there. Well, was two years ago.
Old 23rd April 2019, 12:36     #41519
Nich

Well, I can't recall whether anonymous Visa gift cards were available in 2007-2008. If they were, and this super-private guy didn't explore the option then he's not very careful is he?

All communications of the Satoshi Nakamoto inner-group were behind online pseudonyms, so it was rather unlikely that these people were in the same city. Still, the paranoia is part of what makes the Bitcoin origin story fascinating.

Ep. 94 - A Satoshi Nakamoto Story | Phil "Scronty" Wilson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OPCVeo1u20

The guy is a super nerd and he's terrible when talking to people. So the story is excruciating to get through, but there's a there there.
Old 23rd April 2019, 14:36     #41520
crocos

Quote:
This is where my friend comes in as he knows people at this bank, and can maybe get access to the tape archives.
LOL, no bank worth it's salt would violate privacy policies like that.