NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > Games and Mods > Gaming Forum
User Name
Password

Old 6th January 2015, 09:40     #41
oOo Dragon oOo

I mucked around on it for a few hours last night (boy its a time sucker thats for sure) just moved between places getting money from the bulletin board until I work out the best/easiest trade routes.

I need to upgrade the ol sidewinder fairly quickly to get a decent sized cargo bay. Other than that - solid.

But the ol KB+Mouse - hard work....
Old 6th January 2015, 11:23     #42
p-b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilk
I think the basic mechanics have been implemented beautifully. I quibble about some minor points in the flight model but that's mostly because I'm used to Jumpgate. Which brings me to what it doesn't have - any kind of implementation of the kind of group activities/PVP that I would love to see.

The game world is massive so players don't cluster, and the mechanics for grouping are bare bones at best.

I know that's the ethos of the series - you and your ship versus the enormity of space - but they could make such an amazing multiplayer experience if they wanted to.
Yeah, the two biggest things I'm keen to see implemented will be the planetary flight/landing and the "wings" mechanic that I see talked about in the forums.

They do need to make the penalties for PvP much harsher as well, as it sounds like there's great potential for PvP griefing, especially should they implement group/wing play.

I've heard of players attacking other players and targeting drives and/or thrusters, essentially leaving the poor target dead in the water and having to self-destruct...

Despite the things that are missing, I'm enjoying it immensely. I haven't been so enthused about a game in a long while. It's costing me money... Have ordered a Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS joystick, which should hopefully arrive in a week or so. And am also looking at upgrading my monitor...

Any suggestions for a good 23/24" 1080p/HDMI gaming monitor?

Last edited by p-b : 6th January 2015 at 11:27.
Old 6th January 2015, 11:39     #43
p-b

There was a glimpse of procedurally generated atmosphere in this video from quite a while back.

Am hoping we'll soon see some of the progress they've made since then...
Old 6th January 2015, 14:34     #44
pxpx

Do I play this or Star Citizen?
Old 6th January 2015, 15:57     #45
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
Do I play this or Star Citizen?
While similar themes, they are two quite different games. Why not both?

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 6th January 2015, 16:39     #46
Lightspeed

Has anyone played any of the X games?

An X style economy in an E:D scale open world would be amazing.
Old 6th January 2015, 21:15     #47
chubby

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-b
Any suggestions for a good 23/24" 1080p/HDMI gaming monitor?
a few months ago i got an ASUS VG248QE.
likely better out there,but no complaint of product.and pretty affordable.
hind-sight,i would have compromised on refresh,and gone up a resolution step.
Old 6th January 2015, 21:17     #48
chubby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Has anyone played any of the X games?

An X style economy in an E scale open world would be amazing.

i found the gui data on the economy in the X games really hard to get a grip on.
what exactly do you mean 'style'?

agree though,that a complex,organic economy in a game this scale would be mind-blowing.

Last edited by chubby : 6th January 2015 at 21:18.
Old 7th January 2015, 08:55     #49
pxpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubby
a few months ago i got an ASUS VG248QE.
likely better out there,but no complaint of product.and pretty affordable.
hind-sight,i would have compromised on refresh,and gone up a resolution step.
http://bestgamingmonitorden.com/

Last edited by pxpx : 7th January 2015 at 08:57.
Old 7th January 2015, 08:59     #50
chubby

^^ hah.nice,im always hesitant about committing to an actual purchase-so that feel fine.
Old 7th January 2015, 09:39     #51
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubby
what exactly do you mean 'style'?

agree though,that a complex,organic economy in a game this scale would be mind-blowing.
Just what you say. An organic economy that you could participate in and influence beyond buying at point a and selling at point b. Like you could ramp prices up by attacking trade ships shipping certain goods to certain locations. Or plummet prices by generating oversupply. You could own the means of production. That kind of stuff. Heck, you could build the entire supply chain for a certain kind of ship you wanted if you liked - or you could just be a legendary bounty hunter.

But, yeah, that was 200 systems in a single player world, not 400 billion systems in an open environment.
Old 7th January 2015, 22:33     #52
chubby

[quote=Lightspeed You could own the means of production. [/QUOTE]

talk to me comrade!
Old 7th January 2015, 22:34     #53
chubby

Cheesy grin

^^not sure what i did there.
i blame the shiraz.
Old 8th January 2015, 21:57     #54
p-b

My Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X arrived today.

It's feels amazing, but it's going to take me while to get used to the completely separate throttle controller and separate/new button layout (as oppose to having all functions on the one unit and in a familiar place...)

The throttle controller is amazing for small or fine throttle adjustments, compared to my Logitech Wingman Extreme 3D Pro.

Can't wait til I can get the just to put some serious time into getting use to it!

I'd got the Logitech stick only a couple of weeks ago, as the wireless variant I had was a few years old and starting to go, but decided to go to the HOTAS setup instead.

From a pitch/yaw/roll perspective, it worked perfected, and the buttons are all well placed, the only bugbear I had was that I had to lower the throttle axis sensitivity to minimum in order to make the throttle control a bit more accurate, but it lacked for accuracy of small/fine throttle adjustments.

So if anyone wants to get hold of a joystick that works pretty well with Elite: Dangerous and doesn't want to pay too much, I'll happily put the Logitech back into it's original box and send it for half it's retail price and postage (so about $25 + postage).

Only thing I've done to it is to put my own 50%/halfway marker by the throttle with a sharpie pen.
Old 8th January 2015, 23:47     #55
oOo Dragon oOo

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-b
My Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X arrived today.

It's feels amazing, but it's going to take me while to get used to the completely separate throttle controller and separate/new button layout (as oppose to having all functions on the one unit and in a familiar place...)

The throttle controller is amazing for small or fine throttle adjustments, compared to my Logitech Wingman Extreme 3D Pro.

Can't wait til I can get the just to put some serious time into getting use to it!

I'd got the Logitech stick only a couple of weeks ago, as the wireless variant I had was a few years old and starting to go, but decided to go to the HOTAS setup instead.

From a pitch/yaw/roll perspective, it worked perfected, and the buttons are all well placed, the only bugbear I had was that I had to lower the throttle axis sensitivity to minimum in order to make the throttle control a bit more accurate, but it lacked for accuracy of small/fine throttle adjustments.

So if anyone wants to get hold of a joystick that works pretty well with Elite: Dangerous and doesn't want to pay too much, I'll happily put the Logitech back into it's original box and send it for half it's retail price and postage (so about $25 + postage).

Only thing I've done to it is to put my own 50%/halfway marker by the throttle with a sharpie pen.
Did you get the HOTAS from amazon?? or local. Was price good on it - I hear they are fairly sweet set up. I'm still using keyboard+mouse which is ok for trading, but I Think I"ll get smashed in a firefight. I also have issues overshooting places because the throttling gets a little iffy on the kb.
Old 8th January 2015, 23:54     #56
p-b

I got it from techbuy.com.au

Not the cheapeast when you take shipping into account, but there just doesn't seem to be anywhere that I could find in New Zealand that sells it.
Old 9th January 2015, 16:55     #57
Kar

For throttling on the kb+mouse to stop overshooting targets, Bind keys to Set Throttle to %. and your Mousewheel up/down to throttle in 25% increments.

I set mouse4/mouse5 to set throttle to 0% and 75% respectively. Throttle down in supercruise to 75% when at 0.07 secs, never overshoot a destination.

Hope that helps

Last edited by Kar : 9th January 2015 at 16:56.
Old 9th January 2015, 21:22     #58
p-b

Happy place!

Old 12th January 2015, 15:29     #59
MoP

Looking forward to the "Wings" update

I'm CMDR Joffotron, if anyone wants to add me
Old 12th January 2015, 20:29     #60
oOo Dragon oOo

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-b
Happy place!
Very jealous of that.... very. Slowly building my cash up to get a decent ship - just about at 700k. glad I'm just haulin and not fighting tho - especially with my impatient docking/leaving - no I didn't just smash the front end into your nice shiny station and blow my windscreen apart.
Old 13th January 2015, 15:05     #61
MoP

Things are still really kicking off around Kappa Fornacis. High Intensity Conflict Zone, 3 capital ships, 'Checkpoints' (which I assume are Fed areas), and smuggling of Onionhead for profit.

Fun
Old 17th January 2015, 18:52     #62
MoP

Waaaah

Last edited by MoP : 17th January 2015 at 18:54.
Old 18th January 2015, 19:09     #63
Lightspeed

Had that happen once too. Nearly had an Anaconda down when its buddy joined in. Took out my thrusters then left me.

I had a $50k slip of the fingers yesterday. Hit the boost button right in front of a station...
Old 26th January 2015, 21:27     #64
MoP

Boost is disabled if you have your landing gear down. Handy
Old 28th January 2015, 08:40     #65
p-b

I've got myself into the habit of following a very specific procedure/process when landing and taking off.

It involves not raising the landing gear until I'm about to exit the the letter box, when taking off, and lowering the landing gear well before the letter box, when landing...

Especially since I've been running about in a Type 6 without sheilds...

Can't wait for the wings and 1.1 updates.
Old 28th January 2015, 08:53     #66
p-b

Oh and has anyone done much in the way of exploration?

I was looking at some stats Frontier Developments released regarding the number of systems visited.

At the current rate of new systems visited, I think they said it was take over a thousand years to visit all 4 billion.

I'm keen to kit up my cobra for exploration and give it ago.
Old 15th February 2015, 21:06     #67
ilk

In a high conflict zone, about 25 players ganking every enemy ship that shows up. Got a little careless and thanks to a friendly drifting in front of my burst lasers all the green dots turned red. Couldn't get my FSD charged in time, first death in combat.

In other news, glad to see they have put the community goals mechanic in place. Be interesting to see if some decent pvp comes out of it
Old 23rd August 2015, 10:41     #68
StN
I have detailed files

Is this still the tits? Thinking of ordering an Oculus DK next week.
Old 23rd August 2015, 10:54     #69
ZoSo

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
No idea, but might want to check out Everspace too. Looks great.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ames/everspace
Old 24th August 2015, 09:16     #70
p-b

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
I haven't played it in a while, but I am missing it and itching to get back.

I am holding out until the Oculus retail version is being sold, and they have released the planetary landing expansion.

From what I understand, if you are wanting an awesome Oculus experience, then E is the tits.
Old 26th August 2015, 22:49     #71
Lightspeed

I haven't played since I got grumpy with the bounty system. If you get a 400c fine (say an ally moves into your laser beam for example), your ship is instantly forfeit in that region. You used to be able to rush to a station and pay the fine, but now you can't. You got to either leave the system for a week, or let your ship be destroyed. I understand people game the system by buying a cheap ship and letting that get destroyed instead.

Completely ruined immersion for me.
Old 27th August 2015, 15:22     #72
p-b

I'm pretty sure they'd tweaked that, haven't they?
Old 27th August 2015, 15:23     #73
p-b

Oh and StN; why get an Oculus DK? Why not just wait a wee bit longer for a retail version?
Old 27th August 2015, 16:25     #74
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-b
Oh and StN; why get an Oculus DK? Why not just wait a wee bit longer for a retail version?
Because NOW! DAMNIT!

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 24th December 2020, 14:22     #75
Lightspeed

Just saving this here for future reference:

Steam controller config:
https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDanger...nfiguration_a/