NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 8th April 2020, 01:05     #881
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Labour is rushing through the prisoner-voting law.

https://www.facebook.com/honnicksmit...4433?__tn__=-R
Old 8th April 2020, 01:24     #882
Lightspeed

That it's Nick Smith telling us it's a problem via Facebook tells me it's not a problem.
Old 8th April 2020, 03:07     #883
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Talking

Maybe he just chose a media outlet that Labour couldn't make illegal?
Old 8th April 2020, 03:20     #884
Lightspeed

That, or National trying to speak up about something it has no moral authority to give voice to...
Old 8th April 2020, 08:17     #885
pxpx

lol

as if moral authority is a real thing
Old 8th April 2020, 09:24     #886
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Maybe he just chose a media outlet that Labour couldn't make illegal?
What's this in reference too? Bauer rejecting the wage subsidy?
Old 8th April 2020, 15:06     #887
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
lol

as if moral authority is a real thing
The fact that Dr Smith has to make his point on Facebook and not on more legitimate platforms tells me it is. What tells you it isn't?
Old 8th April 2020, 15:08     #888
Lightspeed

Maybe legitimacy isn't real either...?
Old 8th April 2020, 16:04     #889
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
What's this in reference too? Bauer rejecting the wage subsidy?
The government literally banned the thing that Bauer sold. It defined magazines as a nonessential service under the level 4 lockdown rules.

Remember, the Labour party of Jacinda Ardern (B. Communication Studies in Public Relations and Political Science, Waikato) has massively improved in one key area: it communicates better. That's not to say that it DOES anything better, but it says things more effectively. Like, "Stay home save lives". Brilliant. Best bit of coronavirus govt messaging I've seen anywhere.

Another bit of great govt messaging was Kris Faafoi's announcement that no-one from Bauer lobbied him for relief to keep the magazines going. It leaves the recipient of that message (you and me) with the impression that Bauer decided not to do something--something that could have saved it--with the man who could have saved them. It leaves you and me with the impression that that nice Labour Minister Kris Faafoi COULDA WOULDA helped if only he had been asked, oh dear never mind, back to lockdown.

The true genius of that bit of govt messaging is only evident when someone points out that Kris Faafoi is Minister of Broadcasting, Communications and Digital Media. Printed publications, newspapers and magazines are nothing to do with Kris Faafoi's Ministry - they fall under the purview of the Ministry of Culture and Heritage. I suspect that the Minister of Fisheries and the Minister of Climate Change weren't lobbied by Bauer either, because just like Kris Faafoi it's not their fucking problem. But by the time a tiny percentage of the people who actually care about media stuff realise that their perceptions of an important issue are being "managed", everyone else is already at that nice Labour Minister Kris Faafoi coulda woulda helped if only he had been asked, oh dear never mind, back to lockdown.

It's very very clever. Like really slickly done.

Hey who's the Minister of Culture and Heritage again?
Old 8th April 2020, 17:29     #890
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
The government literally banned the thing that Bauer sold. It defined magazines as a nonessential service under the level 4 lockdown rules.
Based on conventional definitions of essential rather than a means to silence dissenting opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Another bit of great govt messaging was Kris Faafoi's announcement that no-one from Bauer lobbied him for relief to keep the magazines going. It leaves the recipient of that message (you and me) with the impression that Bauer decided not to do something that could have saved it with the man who could have saved them. It leaves you and me with the impression that that nice Labour Minister Kris Faafoi COULDA WOULDA helped if only he had been asked, oh dear never mind, back to lockdown.
Yeah there probably was some politicking in response to Bauer trying to pin the blame on the Govt. I've got no sympathy for an already struggling company whose idea of lobbying was turning down wage subsidies and a last-minute attempt to sell its magazines to the government for $1; all while not following usual process in a rush to lay off employees.
Old 8th April 2020, 19:38     #891
Lightspeed

Bauer can fuck right off. Any apparent serious journalism isn't justification for the rest of the trash they publish.

Journalism was dead as soon as it got embroiled with advertising. You can't both make out to be informing people, while also working hard to misinform people.
Old 8th April 2020, 20:37     #892
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I don't have any strong feelings about Bauer - I'd never heard of them until last week. I have strong nostalgifeels about The Listener, and to a lesser extent Metro and North & South.

I have very very strong feelings of suspicion when a Labour government whose current leader fetishises Michael Joseph Savage does anything to do with influencing media channels.
Old 8th April 2020, 21:57     #893
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Bauer can fuck right off. Any apparent serious journalism isn't justification for the rest of the trash they publish.

Journalism was dead as soon as it got embroiled with advertising. You can't both make out to be informing people, while also working hard to misinform people.
Traditional media/journalism is dead. There's a lot of good online platforms around nowadays and podcasts to get into. How many people watch broadcast tv nowadays or listen to the radio when compared with digital media.
Old 23rd April 2020, 20:29     #894
Lightspeed

I do wonder how strategic this is:

Essential workers deserve to keep spotlight once lockdown is gone

Quote:
Toward the end of her prepared remarks at Wednesday’s daily briefing on Covid-19, Jacinda Ardern turned her attention to a group of essential workers.

She mentioned ‘Rose’, a cleaner at Otāhuhu police station, who “currently works 13-hour days”.

“Thank you for keeping us safe,” she said.

Newshub tracked down Rose - full name Rose Kavapalu - later that day, and asked what she made of Ardern’s appreciation.

Kavapalu was grateful, but said that she had no choice but to work to support her four children, sick husband and two elderly parents at home.

She wanted to ask Ardern for something on behalf of herself and all other cleaners.

"One more favour to ask - the living wage. We have been crying out for so many years.”
Jacinda dangling this for the media to pick up, keep this kind of story in the public eye.
Old 24th April 2020, 05:18     #895
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Jacinda is so good at this stuff.
Old 24th April 2020, 08:58     #896
blynk

Hook, line & sinker
Old 24th April 2020, 11:09     #897
pxpx

Helen Clark putting in work with her international profile to keep a steady stream of Jacinda The Leader puff pieces in foreign media (not saying thats a bad thing to be honest, just an observation).
Old 24th April 2020, 12:14     #898
StN
I have detailed files

Putting that BCS from Waikato to good use.
Old 26th April 2020, 20:39     #899
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...navirus-claims
Old 26th April 2020, 22:21     #900
Lightspeed

Glad that's the extent the media needs to "hold power to account".

What the PM meant was clear: "Our goal is to eliminate Covid-19 from New Zealand, so that we can live and work free from this disease."

It's a tepid argument "aw, but maybe people thought everything would be locked down until they were 100% safe from everything!"
Old 26th April 2020, 22:35     #901
crocos

To be fair to Elers, he's right: "Elimination" to most people = completely gone.

Doesn't mean the PM & cabinet isn't taking the right approach. Yes things like this need to be questioned and the detail teased out - the media SHOULD definitely be doing this (note that Elers is not himself a journo despite his opinion pieces for Stuff).

However this is such a nothing article; I wonder why he bothered?

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 27th April 2020, 00:08     #902
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
At the same briefing, the prime minister said: “Our testing has scaled up and we have now tested over 85,000 New Zealanders, one of the highest testing rates per capita in the world.” Wrong. At that time we were 31st in the world for testing rates per capita. I don’t think 31st can be considered “one of the highest” in the world, unless, of course, we have turned into a society where we believe everyone is a winner.
Old 28th April 2020, 19:51     #903
StN
I have detailed files

Wait - he moved house? How could he fit that in between mountain biking and beach walks???
Old 28th April 2020, 20:16     #904
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
However this is such a nothing article; I wonder why he bothered?
While reading it I was wondering why he wrote the article. Like, had it been awhile since he turned something in?

Seriously though, I am glad this is the extent of the concern we have over the government's performance with all that's going on everywhere.
Old 28th April 2020, 21:12     #905
pxpx

I wonder if the successful response to the pandemic may be Labours undoing. I know its a very cynical viewpoint - but one of the outcomes of a successful pandemic response seems to be a massive bollocking of the economy.

Come election time, if Labour can't put together a recovery package good enough and quick enough, will people (because people tend to vote selfishly) vote them out based on a likelihood that they are much worse off than they were?

Have Labour seen this coming, and are preparing to extend these lockdown levels all the way up to election time? I wonder when the economic pressure will overcome fear (i.e it's valid to fear 2nd and 3rd COVID-19 waves) and rationality?
Old 29th April 2020, 02:35     #906
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

what the hell does this guy have to do to get fired? Does he have pictures of the PM in bed with a dead hooker or something?

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12328085
Old 29th April 2020, 05:21     #907
Lightspeed

Holy crap

Quote:
Clark was reportedly seen repeatedly taking boxes between two properties during the lockdown.
Old 29th April 2020, 13:25     #908
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

cp from the covid thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
This is the Minister of Health. What the fuck is he doing mountain biking in the South Island? Why the fuck is he not at work?
Just pretend I said "moving house".

WHY WAS HE NOT IN WELLINGTON BEING THE MINISTER OF HEALTH.
Old 29th April 2020, 17:25     #909
fixed_truth

Quote:
A spokesperson for the Prime Minister said based on what Clark had advised her he moved house prior to lockdown, and based on his description of events, he had not breached lockdown rules.
Him having a young family was probably a big factor in him staying down south.
Old 29th April 2020, 17:40     #910
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
WHY WAS HE NOT IN WELLINGTON BEING THE MINISTER OF HEALTH.
PM didn't want him in her bubble either

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 9th May 2020, 18:01     #911
pxpx

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political...mkGNcPUCn6o4rQ

Thou shalt not question our dear leaders
Old 11th May 2020, 11:07     #912
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

http://economicsnz.blogspot.com/2020...od-enough.html

Thou shalt not question our dear leaders, continued
Old 11th May 2020, 14:26     #913
madmaxii

The words "Open and Transparent" are going to come back and bite them in the bum
Old 12th May 2020, 14:44     #914
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
The racing industry will get a $72.5 million emergency support package, Racing Minister Winston Peters has announced.

"We can't guild the lily. The racing industry has been hit by the perfect storm of Covid-19 while in a weak financial state and in the midst of a reform programme," Peters said.

"As a result, there is a genuine risk of insolvency and the industry losing the future gains of its reforms.

"The Government has a respond, recover, and rebuild strategy for Covid-19. This announcement is the first step towards a long term restoration of racing," Peters said.
Winston looking after his donors, Jacinda and Grant nowhere to be found.
Old 12th May 2020, 21:40     #915
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxii
The words "Open and Transparent" are going to come back and bite them in the bum
Nah. In general their response to covid has been so successful that nobody is going to be upset about anything much unless there's a massive backslide, a balooning number of cases, and a whole bunch of deaths. Short of that, this coming election is going to be:

ALL ABOARD THE JACINDA-TRAIN! NEXT STOP NATIONAL-GETS-FUCKEDVILLE!
Old 13th May 2020, 00:30     #916
The Edge

Simon Bridges is hardly an opponent to worry about though. I did see a poll a few weeks ago that showed National polling below Labour - but a poll is merely a snapshot in time of what voters think. A lot can change between now and the election.
Old 13th May 2020, 00:42     #917
Nothing

Well yea, but "Simon Bridges is hardly an opponent to worry about though." just sort of makes my point. Like, who do you think they'll replace him with? Bene Basher Bennett? Crusher Collins? National's prospective leaders in waiting are all just as unappetising as Bridges. I mean, at least Bridges is kinda cute in that labrador "I have no idea what I am doing" way. Bennett and Collins don't even have that going for them - they're just repulsive.
Old 13th May 2020, 12:04     #918
blynk

I wouldn't take any notice of polls right now.
They will be swayed by Covid, where a lot of middle ground voters will swing to Labour.
Once we've been in lockdown 2 for a while, then we can see what the polls say
Old 13th May 2020, 14:27     #919
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Jacinda is teflon right now. Let's see how unemployment and economic indicators are going closer to election time.
Old 13th May 2020, 15:18     #920
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Jacinda is teflon right now. Let's see how unemployment and economic indicators are going closer to election time.
"It's a jobs budget".