Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 10th May 2017, 18:08     #2161
Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
Where the shit did "Technology" just go?
Yeah I noticed that yesterday too...
The page is still there but you need to go to /technology to get to it.
Old 10th May 2017, 18:10     #2162
Lightspeed

Here it is.
Old 6th June 2017, 11:46     #2163
CCS
Stunt Pants

The Herald's new design is fucking awful. I load up the page and this is what I get:

Yeah, business time baby! Only 3 minutes! Thanks for that full screen crotch shot. Wait, am I on the right site?
Old 7th June 2017, 16:18     #2164
The Edge

The new layout is absolute crap. What was wrong with the old one?
I can see how it would be better (easier to update?) having one layout for both phones and PC viewers as opposed to a separate optimised for each, but on a computer it looks terrible.
Old 7th June 2017, 17:18     #2165
blynk

Horrible.
Every update they have done has made it worse.
Old 7th June 2017, 17:47     #2166
CCS
Stunt Pants

Hey thanks for the graphic content warni...OHMYGOD HER FACE IS GETTING SMASHED IN BY THE CAR AND I DIDN'T WANT TO SEE THAT!
Old 7th June 2017, 18:13     #2167
blynk

On the topic of the story, they seem to think she saved the boy because you body took the impact of the car.

In a car versus brick wall, I wouldn't have thought a body would "take the impact".
Also, I question if she jumped in front of it to save the boy. I think she was trying to get the fuck away from a speeding car.
Old 8th June 2017, 12:21     #2168
fixed_truth

The Herald's new site layout is so shit I'd rather read Stuff
Old 9th June 2017, 10:36     #2169
Juju
get to da choppa

Meh.. it's ok. Change is change.

Modern day equivalent of the old farts whinging when it went from broadsheet to tabloid.

It's still the herald.. total shit show.
Old 9th June 2017, 16:43     #2170
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juju
This

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 19th June 2017, 14:58     #2171
Deadmeat

http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-ze...-injuries.html
Quote:
A man has suffered serious injuries after being struck by a car this morning.

The man, believed to have been washing car windows, was hit at the intersection of Great South Road and Te Irirangi Drive in Manukau.

A witness told NZME the man laid on the ground for around 15 minutes before an ambulance arrived.

St John Ambulance confirmed that a call was received at 10.44am and the man was taken to Middlemore Hospital with serious injuries.

The witness said the driver of the car stopped immediately.

"We saw them put on a neck brace and put him on a stretcher. He didn't seem to move at all."

"A window-washer walked the older man off to the side, he seemed pretty shocked."

Newshub.
I have so many questions...
How does a man laid on the ground?
Why did they put the driver in a neck brace and on a stretcher?
Who is the older man?!
Old 27th June 2017, 11:49     #2172
StN
I have detailed files

Stuff on Mr Depp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuff picture caption
Actress Amber Heard is pictured in Los Angeles, California, U.S. with what appears to be bruising on her right cheek in an undated handout photograph included in a court filing for a restraining order against husband Johnny Depp. Superior Court of Los Angeles/Handout via Reuters ATTENTION EDITORS - THIS IMAGE WAS PROVIDED BY A THIRD PARTY. EDITORIAL USE ONLY TPX IMAGES OF THE DAY
Oh my...
Old 28th June 2017, 11:21     #2173
Juju
get to da choppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juju
Meh.. it's ok. Change is change.

Modern day equivalent of the old farts whinging when it went from broadsheet to tabloid.

Ok. I take it back. In the ~3 weeks since, my visits to NZH have dropped by probably 50%. It's not the new layout, more so they seem to have double downed on the shit house tabloid page 3 click bait dribble content since they changed the website.

Congratulations NZME, you will be the ones responsible for killing a 154 year old brand.
Old 28th June 2017, 13:56     #2174
blynk

I have definitely dropped my readership.
I used to go through the tabs National, World, Business, Tech, Sport.

Now I might jump on the main page. Look at the the top and thats it.

So I would say I am probably now 25% of what I used to do. It would be interesting to see what their actual stats are.
Old 10th October 2017, 18:26     #2175
CCS
Stunt Pants

NZH RSS feed headline: Man hit by falling concrete slab in Auckland CBD
NZH website sidebar headline: Man almost hit by concrete slab
Actual article headline: Man injured by falling concrete slab in Auckland CBD
Actual article text: A man has been rushed to Auckland hospital with minor injuries after a concrete slab fell from a construction site, narrowly missing him.

At the end of it all, I'm still not certain whether he was hit or not. If he was not hit, what caused the injury?
Old 13th December 2017, 11:39     #2176
Cyberbob

In an effort to break the news first, I guess they preloaded the photo captions, and forgot to change them when the rocket launch was aborted.

Old 20th December 2017, 16:21     #2177
Deadmeat

NZHerald headline link: "Terminally ill now able to use cannabis
20 Dec, 2017 1:00pm"

Article: "legislation has been introduced..."
Old 22nd December 2017, 13:36     #2178
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Motorist's shock at vehicle towing live chicken

Auckland motorists had their feathers ruffled this afternoon when a vehicle was seen towing what is thought to be a live chicken down a busy street on the North Shore.
Towing? TOWING?! That's not towing, you fucking moron! That's DRAGGING! Is the writer too young and dumb to know how to use words? Or were they too busy coming up with their hilarious gag in the first paragraph to take the time to read through the article and realised they fucked up?
Old 3rd January 2018, 16:27     #2179
CCS
Stunt Pants

Kiwis who evaded NYE Coromandel alcohol ban by building island revealed

Quote:
They used wheelburrows, shovels and hands to heap the sand into a mound at low tide.

Wheelburrows?! How the hell can you go through life and think that is how you spell wheelbarrow? Does the writer not know that wheelbarrows don't perform any kind of burrowing task?
Old 11th January 2018, 07:33     #2180
CCS
Stunt Pants

Rolling eyes

Uber drivers towing the line after law changes around passenger licenses

Another 20-something Herald writer who doesn't understand the language she is writing in.
Old 31st January 2018, 16:57     #2181
Deadmeat

Offered as a standalone paragraph.
"Finance spokesman Steven Joyce is also being fingered."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...nals-rumblings
Old 31st January 2018, 17:49     #2182
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

One thing that's really evident to me with a bit of ex-pat distance... NZ really shuts down over the summer holidays. There's nothing to talk about other than cricket and whatever Northland/Coromandel camping ground has been flooded out. So when Parliament gets back from recess what passes for NZ's "news media" are just desperate for political news. Anything. Any story will do.
Old 31st January 2018, 18:44     #2183
CCS
Stunt Pants

Yes. The Herald is full of shit this time of year. I don't read Stuff. The Herald likes to do this thing (maybe you've noticed) where they just print stories they call the 'best of 2017'. They've also been digging up really old (decades) stories and putting what looks like a reasonable sheen on them, retelling them as "this old thing that happened". So yeah... I don't know what happens in NZ that is newsworthy at this time of year. It's just things like "These guys built a sandcastle and drank beer on it when the tide came in" and umpteen 'articles' placed by Tip Tops marketing department that say "boy it's really hot and people just love our ice creamy treats!"

Maybe it's a case of 'no news is good news'. No terrible shit is happening here. There's plenty of shit happening around the world that the Herald could be reporting on. I mean, you only need to watch 5 minutes of Al Jazeera to see that the world is fucked and you wouldn't know it if you relied on Stuff and the Herald for your news. And after that 5 minutes you just want to crawl under the bed and suck your thumb for a while.
Old 31st January 2018, 18:55     #2184
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
And after that 5 minutes you just want to crawl under the bed and suck your thumb for a while.
+1: Insightful

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 23rd February 2018, 14:31     #2185
StN
I have detailed files

A bit conflicted over which thread I should drop this in - and apologies to anyone still eating lunch...

Yeah, sorry again...
Old 23rd February 2018, 15:22     #2186
CCS
Stunt Pants

I'm not too sure what a 'Swizz' is. It's not part of his name. He's not a DJ. Swiss people aren't called Swizz. OED says a swizz is 'A thing that is disappointing or represents a mild swindle'. Is the Herald saying the new All Whites coach is a swindle?
Old 23rd February 2018, 16:02     #2187
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
A bit conflicted over which thread I should drop this in - and apologies to anyone still eating lunch...

Yeah, sorry again...

Ban him
Old 23rd February 2018, 18:53     #2188
ZoSo

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11999816

Quote:
NZME, owner of the New Zealand Herald, plans to put up a paywall around premium journalism on its website, says chief executive Michael Boggs.
Get the friday night laughs rolling early.
Old 23rd February 2018, 19:20     #2189
Lightspeed

Laugh

Huh, I wonder where they're planning on getting the premium journalists from?
Old 23rd February 2018, 21:59     #2190
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

When the subscription rivers of gold pour in, they can hire some!
Old 8th March 2018, 12:25     #2191
StN
I have detailed files

Technically correct I suppose...

Shortland Street actor still listed as missing after two bodies found at Auckland lodge

Ellwood played the character of Mandy Timmins in one episode of Shortland Street in 2006.

She is also a hair stylist, makeup artist and fashion stylist.
Old 9th March 2018, 12:30     #2192
pxpx

Google plugin to filter out news articles wherein the headline contains a "?"
Old 15th March 2018, 14:06     #2193
blynk

Did the mother not select the best shows to go to.
Old 19th April 2018, 23:22     #2194
Macca@Work

Three dead in two-car crash in Coromandel

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/103...ar-kopu-bridge

Three people are dead following a two-car crash on Kopu Bridge - a single lane swing bridge - in Coromandel.

The two-car crash happened south of the bridge on State Highway 25 on Thursday evening.
Old 20th September 2018, 19:28     #2195
Deadmeat

Boy did i ever leap to the wrong conclusion about the subject of this story.
Old 11th October 2018, 17:47     #2196
Cyberbob

Them and I have very different ideas about what constitutes breaking news.

Old 16th November 2018, 16:49     #2197
blynk

I feel like they might need to change the use of the word driverless now.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/nelson-mail/...s-into-bedroom

My initial thought was it was a self driving truck, and then saw it was in NZ and I didn't think we had those in NZ.

Then realised that it someone left the handbrake off
Old 16th November 2018, 18:05     #2198
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
Them and I have very different ideas about what constitutes breaking news.

Me too, bob.
Old 30th January 2019, 17:26     #2199
pxpx

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle...ectid=12198680

jerrnalism!
Old 25th April 2019, 22:09     #2200
MadMax
Stuff

Journalism fail https://i.stuff.co.nz/business/11225...mer-users-life